UAE shopping centers
Shopping malls and shopping centers in the UAE
Abu Dhabi malls | Al Ain malls | Dubai malls | Dubai shopping centers | Sharjah malls | Ajman, Fujairah, RAK, UAQ malls
Abu Dhabi shopping malls
- List of Abu Dhabi shopping malls - more information.
Ajman shopping malls
- Ajman China Mall - (Chinamall) - like Dragon Mart in Dubai (Dragonmart) but smaller. Located in the Ajman Free Zone area?
- Ajman City Centre - on the main road from Sharjah to Ras Al Khaimah (the coast road, not the Emirates Road extension). Movie theatres, food court, Carrefour, and other shops.
- Ajman Industrial Area shopping mall (Al Jarf?) - proposed in an agreement between Emirates Post Group and Ajman Sports & Cultural Club, April 2008 announcement.
- Ajman Sunshine Mall - not a real mall, made up for an article in the satirical Pan Arabian Enquirer 17 Dec 2013.
- Ajman Uptown Shopping Mall - part of the Uptown Ajman project by Sweet Homes, 182 shops on 4 or 5 levels, hypermarket, food court, Fun City, completion date expected to be end 2012.
- Al Rashidiya, Rashidiyah, Rashidia area shopping mall - proposed (Emirates Post press release April 2008).
- Chinamall Ajman - see Ajman China Mall.
- Dana Mall - first phase of 150,000 sq ft with 200 retail shops on 3 floors due to open by end of 2008 (update - due to open March 2009 says General Manager Sultan bin Ghedayer in Feb 2008). Includes a supermarket and food court, car parking for 1500 vehicles. Location on Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Road. Exclusive leasing agent is Halcon Real Estate LLC. Developer is Bin Ghedayer Group. Construction value AED 400 million. Expansion phase another AED 200m, including hotel, due for completion by 2013.
- Nour Al Kawthar Mall (NK Mall, Nour AlKawathar Mall), Al Hamidia (Al Hamidiyah), Al Ittihad highway to RAK. Opening hours Sat- Wed 1000-2300, Thu-Fri 1000-2400, KM Hypermarket daily 1000-2400. Website www.mynkmall.com.
- The Factory Mart (The Ajman Factory Market, The Factory Mart) - tel +971-6-7436955, Ajman Industrial Area, open 0900-2400.
- Hamdan Center - Al Nuaimia area, tel +971-6-7463525, fax +971-6-7463717.
- Musharaf (Musharef, Musharif, Mushairaf, Mushairef, Mushairif, Mushayrif) area shopping mall - proposed (Emirates Post news April 2008).
- Safeer Mall Ajman, tel +971-6-7464888 - opposite Ajman University, area 220,000 sq ft, Safeer Hypermarket (77,000 sq ft), Jungle Bungle family entertainment center, food court. Other shops include Shoes 4 Us, Smart Baby, X-pressions, Damas Jewellery, Rasasi Perfumes, Sheetal, Via Uno, and Times R Us. Owned by Al Safeer Group, opened in 2005, mall manager Mr Sunil Hemrajani.
- Souq Extra Ajman (Souk Extra, Souqextra, Soukextra)
Al Ain shopping malls
- See list of shopping malls in Al Ain.
- Biggest shopping centers in Al Ain are the Al Ain Mall, Al Jimi Mall, and Bawadi Mall. Al Foah Mall is newer and smaller but could be considered one of the main malls in Al Ain.
Dubai shopping malls
- List of Dubai shopping malls and Dubai shopping centers - more details.
- Largest malls in Dubai are The Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates, Deira City Center, Mirdiff City Center, Ibn Battuta Mall, and the Wafi Center (Wafi City).
- The best shopping mall in Duba is The Dubai Mall with the Dubai Aquarium, Dubai Fountains, the promenande, Souk Al Bahar, Kidzania, Sega World Dubai, Reel Cinemas, two food courts, and of course the nearby Burj Khalifa observation deck.
- Other top picks are Ibn Battuta Mall for decor and fewer crowds (except on Thursday nights and Fridays), Mirdiff City Center for the food courts and entertainment areas, Wafi City for luxury stores and the Khan Murjan underground souk, and Mall of the Emirates for easy access from the Dubai Metro and indoor skifield, but an annoying place to try and park a car - difficult to impossible on Thu-Sat nights and holidays.
Fujairah shopping malls
- Century Mall Fujairah (2009) - see Safeer Mall Fujairah.
- Dana Plaza Shopping Center - small shopping center with cinema.
- Fujairah City Center Mall and Retail Park (2011) - joint venture between Fujairah Government's Fujairah Investment Establishment (FIE) and Majid Al Futtaim Group (MAF), announced 12 January 2009 (press release), scheduled to open in 2011 (which will probably end up being 2012-2013).
- Fujairah Trade Center - relatively small compared to the mega malls in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Also offices and residential accommodation. Tel +971-9-2222661, web www.fujairahtradecentre.com.
- Galleria or Galleries Mall - developer Emke Group, opening in 2012? Area 60,000 sq m, cost AED 100m. Being added on to the Lulu Hypermarket / Lulu Center (see below) already there. Includes 110 shops, food court, restaurants, and the first (?) ice skating rink in Fujairah. Cinema and children's play area also included (details not supplied)?
- Lulu Center - not really a shopping center but a hypermarket (similar to Lulus all over the emirates). Near the Etisalat building. Expansion plans to turn it into more of a shopping center with shops, food court, cinema. Opening date expected in July 2010 ... delayed to December 2011 ... delayed ... delayed ... opening date 24 Jul 2014. Area 550,000 square feet on two floors, plot size 21 acres, development cost AED 370m, about 100 retail outlets and a food court. Entertainment facilities a 5,000 sq ft ice rink and Sparky's (Sparkys, Sparkeys) 22,000 sq ft indoor amusement zone.
- Safeer Mall Fujairah (2009) - Al Faseel Road, off Kuwait Road, 850,000 square feet total area includes 100,000 sq ft Safeer Hypermarket, 100 other retail outlets, food court, Space City family entertainment centre, covered parking. Scheduled opening late 2008, might be open early 2009? Or not? Delayed to 2011? 2012? Owned by Al Safeer Group - they say it will be the largest mall in Fujairah. Also a new Fujairah hotel - the Fujairah Marque Hotel - will be attached to the shopping center, expected to open late 2009.
Ras Al Khaimah shopping malls
- Al Hamra Shopping Mall, in Al Hamra Village on the way in to RAK from Dubai on the coast road, opposite Ras Al Khaimah Ceramics. Al Hamra Mall was supposed to open by end 2007 according to November 2006 news from them, but it didn't. Shops opened during 2009 and should be fully open by early 2010. Mall will have 100 shops in an area of about 36,000 sq m (410,000 sq ft), including the usual outlets, foodcourt and a Spinneys supermarket (opened April 2008). Tel +971-7-2447275, website www.alhamramall.com. Posher fashion shops (when they open) than other malls in RAK.
- Mall of Ras Al Khaimah - part of the WOW RAK theme park development, opening maybe in 2012. Area 12,000 sq meters, about 85 shops.
- Manar Mall - in Nakheel area. Movie theaters, food court, banks, variety of shops and a Carrefour.
- RAK Mall - developer Emke Group, opening date 26 April 2012 along with a new Lulu Hypermarket in RAK. Construction cost AED 400 million, area 1 million sq ft, 3 floors, food court, entertainment area (22,000 sq ft). Has the first ice rink in RAK (area 5,000 sq ft). No cinema complex? Same as or different from the Mall of Ras Al Khaimah?
- Safeer Shopping Mall, open 24 December 2008 in the Al Kharan / Kharran area (on the way to Digdaga), total retail area given as a "massive 500,000 square metres" in the press release when it opened (happily reprinted verbatim in most UAE newspapers), which would make the Safeer Center bigger than Mall of the Emirates in Dubai (it's obviously not, as anyone who's been to both can see). Correct size is more likely to be about 500,000 square feet. Retail area has 100+ shops including Damas, Face Shop, KFC, Mothercare, Nando's, Pizza Hut, Springfield, Starbucks. Other facilities include a food court, UAE Exchange, Safeer Hypermarket (a large one), Safeer Department Stores, impressive looking Jungle Bungle entertainment center upstairs. Food Court next to the Bungle in the Jungle, with KFC, Pizza Hut and a few others. McDonald's and Nandos are downstairs, Emirates Identity Authority (Emirates ID). Managed by Al Safeer Group. Also called Al Safeer shopping center. No cinema.
Ruwais shopping malls
- Ruwais Shopping Mall - under construction (from about December 2007 to sometime in 2010).
Sharjah shopping malls
- List of Sharjah shopping malls - more complete list with contact numbers etc.
- Largest and most popular malls are Sharjah City Center, Sharjah Mega Mall, and the Sahara Center.
- Sahara Center especially seems to be the most appealing place for a shopping mall visit.
- The Safeer Mall on Al Ittihad Road deserves a mention for the space-age looking children's entertainment area.
Umm Al Quwain shopping centers
- Safeer Mall UAQ - tel +971-6-5325353, scheduled to open late 2008, near National Bank of UAQ, over 50 retail outlets with GLA about 30,000 sq meters, hypermarket 7,500 sq m, family entertainment center, car parking, food court. Owned by Al Safeer Group.
Western Region shopping malls
- City Mall - Babyshop.
Opening hours for UAE shopping malls
As a general rule, shopping malls are open 1000-2200 Saturday to Thursday and 1400 or 1600 to 2200 on Fridays (more malls are gradually changing to a 1000 opening time on Fridays). The larger ones, especially in Dubai, will open from 1000 on Fridays also. Some of the smaller shopping centers could be closed during the afternoon from 1300-1600 (and if you search for a while, you may even discover a prime example of UAE irony - restuarants that are closed for lunch). Busy times in shopping malls are Friday afternoons and evenings (almost everyone has Fridays off) and Thursday evenings. Mornings are the best time to avoid crowds. Hours will vary slightly from one mall to the next, and usually food courts and supermarkets will be open later than 2200 (10pm).
Ramadan hours are usually extended to midnight for shops and sometimes later for supermarkets. Shops may be closed around Iftar (1700-1900 depending on time of year). During Ramadan, food outlets will be closed during daylight hours. Shops often stay open until midnight on other important dates eg New Years Eve, the night before Eid celebrations, and Christmas Eve.
Last update Monday 28-Jul-2014
- Dubai Shopping Festival - and list of DSF events.
- Dubai Shopping Malls Group DSMG
- Lulu hypermarkets UAE - chain of supermarkets, hypermarkets, department stores, shopping centers.
- Spinneys UAE - supermarket chain based in the UAE
- Things to do in Dubai
- Tourist guide to Dubai
- UAE Banks
- www.safeermall.com - Al Safeer Group shopping malls - open or under construction in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah.