Dubai Shopping Malls Group
Dubai Shopping Malls Group (DSMG) is a Dubai based organisation with shopping malls and centers in Dubai as its members. The DSMG supports the shopping industry in Dubai, organises and supports shopping events, and promotes Dubai to tourists as a shopping destination.
- DSMG was established in 1998 with the support of the Dubai Government Department of Economic Development
- DSMG promotional activities include participation in international and local exhibitions, road shows, retail promotional events for example raffles and shopping festivals, linking with tourism industry organisations, magazine publishing, and marketing campaigns.
- Some figures from a study on retail shopping in Dubai (date and source unknown, maybe 2009?): retail spending in Dubai of about AED 28 billion
- Number of shops in Dubai grew from 1500 in 1995 to over 5000 (in 2009?)
- Total Gross Leasable Area (GLA) in Dubai of 16 million sq feet end of 2009, estimated to be 20 million sq ft by end 2010, and up to 40 million sq ft by 2015 (DSMG website July 2010).
Dubai Shopping Festival Office and the DSMG
- The Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) is an annual shopping promotion event in Dubai, usually held from end of January to end of February.
- The Dubai Summer Surprises is another DSF event, held in summer from end of July to end of August.
- The Dubai Shopping Festival Office (DSFO) and DSMG work together for the promotion and organisation of the DSF events.
DSMG membership requirements and fees
- Any Dubai Shopping Mall operating with a license from the Department of Economic Development (DED) in Dubai can apply for full DSMG membership.
- Any retail outlet that is in a DSMG member shopping mall can apply for Associate Membership.
- As of early 2010, there are more than 30 members of the DSMG?
||Number of Retail Outlets
||Annual Subscription (2010 fees?)
||Less than 350
List of DSMG member shopping centers and malls (last update July 2010)
Dubai Shopping Malls Group board of directors members
- Chairman of DSMG - Mr Majid Al Ghurair, CEO Al Ghurair Group (operates Al Ghurair City shopping mall).
- Mr Tom Miles, Senior General Manager Retail, Dubai Festival City
- Mr David Thurling, Managing Director, Nakheel Shopping Malls LLC
- Mr Fareed Abdelrahman, VP Division Asset Management, Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) Shopping Malls
- Mr Jim Badour, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Emaar Malls (developers of The Dubai Mall and Dubai Marina Mall)
- Nasser Rafi,
CEO, Emaar Malls
- Mr Abdullah Ebrahim Bin Hussain, Director Local Affairs and Marketing, Wafi Center
- Ms Laila Suhail, CEO, Dubai Shopping Festival Office (DSFO)
- Eisa Adam -
Past President of DSMG, General Manager of the BurJuman Center
DSMG contact details
- Liason office - BUZ Management and Marketing Consultancy, Office 405, Al Arif Business Bay Building, opposite HSBC building, Bur Dubai
- Postal address: PO Box 126093, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Tel +971-4-3539750, fax +9714 3539760, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last update Thursday 19-Aug-2010. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
Related websites (new window)
- www.dsmg.ae - new Dubai Shopping Malls Group website? Has information about member shopping centers and malls.
- www.dsmgdubai.com - was the Dubai Shopping Malls Group website with details of stuff like GLA, owner, manager, etc. But turned to spam or is unavailable (last checked May 2010).
- Dubai directory - add your link free