Shopping centers in Dubai
Shopping centers in Dubai
List of shopping centers and areas in Dubai including Aswaaq, Souk Extra, and other supermarket and community shopping complexes. Information about the difference between malls and shopping centres. Dubai has many large shopping malls and smaller shopping centers.
- List of Dubai shopping malls - shopping malls, not shopping centers, in Dubai.
What is the difference between a shopping centre and a shopping mall?
The terms shopping center and shopping mall are used interchangeably by most people most of the time, but one explanation is that a shopping mall is a large building with shops inside (similar to an apartment building), whereas a shopping center is a cluster of shops each with their own external entrance, similar to a row or cluster of terraced houses. As is obvious from the way some shopping malls are named in Dubai e.g. Deira City Centre is a shopping mall, nobody really cares about the difference too much. Another explanation is that shopping centers are small, and shopping malls are big, but places like Al Mizhar Mall sort of throw a spanner in that explanation, given that it's a relatively small shopping mall. We'll divide up shopping centers and malls in Dubai something like that but it might be a bit random.
Some shopping centers or malls in Dubai
See next heading for more complete list but with less information for each one.
- Boxpark (Box Park) - open February 2014. Location on Al Wasl Rd between Safa Park and Jumeirah Post Office. A collection of brightly painted shipping containers stacked along the road and refurbished as shops, cafes, restaurants. Pretty colored lights shine on them at night so you can't miss it. Free (for now, will probably be pay eventually) parking along Al Wasl Rd, free parking areas behind the Boxpark. Shops include:
- Big Smoke Burger - hamburgers. FB page at facebook.com/pages/Big-Smoke-Burger-UAE/1501393853457233.
- Citywalk (City Walk) - open 2013 or 2014 (check date). Location on Al Safa Rd between Emirates NBD bank (at Al Wasl Rd junction) and Satwa Rd intersection. Enough cafes and restaurants to keep you busy for a few days, and a few other shops. Free parking behind but gets full and busy in evenings, especially in weekends. Seems to be a higher proportion of drivers who don't know how to fit their SUVs into a single carpark ... perhaps they're failed students from a nearby driving school.
- Cafes include: Argo Tea Cafe (but they also have nice coffee), Pauls, Starbucks.
- Restaurants include: Silver Fox (steaks etc), Chinese, Ferro Italia (?), Subway.
- Shops include: Early Learning Center (ELC), Spinneys Market supermarket.
List of shopping centers in Dubai
- Note that Road and Street are often used interchangeably (with even each end of the road labelled differently sometimes).
- Spellings often vary (a trailing letter "a" is often written as "ah" for example), and for some areas, Al is randomly used before the area name (Satwa and Karama for example). Don't worry, you'll get used to it. But if you say Sheikh Al Zayed Street then you'll give yourself away as a newbie in Dubai.
- Many areas that are labelled as souks or souqs are just densely packed collections of shops with plastic buckets and suitcases displayed on the pavements, complete with eager shopkeepers smacking their lips at the sight of yet another gullible tourist. Buy your plastic buckets at Carrefour to save money, time and parking hassles. For a more traditional souq experience (sort of) with timbered ceilings to go oooh and aaah at, visit Al Bastakia, Khan Murjan (The Wafi Center), Madinat Jumeirah, Souk Al Bahar (The Dubai Mall), or the Sharjah Museum Area.
|Abaya Mall||Mirdiff||24b St near 37th St||+971-4-2515111||Next to Star International School Mirdif.|
|Al Ain Center||Al Mankhool||Mankhool Rd||Computer shops, Spinneys nextdoor.|
|Al Diyafa Centre||Al Satwa||Al Diyafa Roundabout||Opposite Rydges Plaza Hotel|
|Al Diyafa Rd||Satwa-Al Jafiliya||Al Diyafa Rd||Roadside shops, fast food restaurants, busy|
|Al Fahidi Street||Al Souk Al Kabeer||Al Fahidi Street||Electronics shops|
|Al Furjan Community Center||Al Farjan Villas||Opening date early 2014?|
|Al Ghazal Shopping Mall||Al Badaa, Satwa||Al Wasl & Al Diyafah Rd||Carrefour Market|
|Al Hana Centre||Al Jafiliya||Mankhool Rd||By Rydges Plaza|
|Al Khaleej Center||Al Raffa||Mankhool Rd||Shopping mall, Etisalat. Choithrams opposite.|
|Al Manal Center||Deira||Naif||Opposite Naif Souk|
|Al Mizhar Mall||Al Mizhar||Road 220|
|Al Musalla St?||Ayal Nasir||Al Musallah Rd||Car stereos and accessories, near Hyatt Corniche|
|Al Muteena Plaza||Muteena||Al Muteena Rd|
|Al Nakheel Centre||Deira||Naif|
|Al Nakhal Center||Naif||Al Nakhal St|
|Al Ras area||Al Ras, Deira||Souks and streetside shops|
|Al Safa Center||Al Safa 1||Al Wasl Rd||Park n Shop supermarket|
|Al Thanya Shopping Center||Umm Al Sheif||Thanya Rd||Waitrose Umm Al Sheif, open Aug 2013?|
|Al Wasl Plaza||Al Wasl||Al Wasl Rd|
|Aswaaq AlMezhar||Al Mizhar||Road 220|
|Aswaaq Al Sufouh|
|Aswaaq Nadd Al Hamar|
|Aswaaq Umm Suqeim||Umm Suqeim 3||By Kings Dubai|
|Bank Street||Mankhool-Hamriya||Khalid Bin Waleed Rd||Banks|
|Bastakiya||Bastakia||Al Seef Rd||Art galleries and cafes, a must-see part of Dubai|
|Beach Park Plaza Dubai||Jumeirah 2||Beach Rd||Restaurants mostly|
|Boxpark (Box Park)||Al Wasl Rd||Variety|
|Central Perk Umm Suqeim||Umm Suqeim 1||Umm Al Sheif Rd||Cafe, Taco restaurant|
|Century Plaza||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd||McDonalds, Chen One furniture|
|China Trade City||Deira||Naif|
|Choithram Umm Suqeim||Umm Suqeim 2||Al Wasl Rd||Pharmacy|
|Citywalk (City Walk)||Al Safa Rd||Restaurants, cafes, fashion, Spinneys|
|Computer Street||Al Raffa-Souk Al Kabeer||Khalid Bin Waleed Rd||Computer shops|
|Deira Bird Market||Corniche Deira||Open market|
|Deira Fish Market||Corniche Deira||Open market|
|Deira Meat Market||Corniche Deira||Open market|
|Deira Vegetable Market||Corniche Deira||Open market|
|Discovery Gardens Community Center||Discovery Gardens||Opening date early 2014?|
|Dubai Marina Walk||Dubai Marina||Spinneys, and mostly restaurants|
|Dune Center||Al Bada'a||Al Diyafah St|
|Emirates Co-op Hatta||Hatta||Hatta Fort roundabout|
|Emirates Co-op Mizhar||Oud Al Muteena 1||New in 2008|
|Galleria||Corniche Deira||Hyatt Regency||Ice skating|
|Gold Center||Al Ras, Deira||Gold and jewellery shops|
|Gold House||Al Ras, Deira||Gold and jewellery shops|
|Gold Oasis||Al Ras, Deira||Gold and jewellery shops|
|Gold Souk||Al Ras, Deira||Souq area, congested|
|Jumeirah Beach Centre||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd||Automatic, Burger King|
|Jumeirah Center||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd||Magrudy's bookshop, Gerard's Cafe|
|Jumeirah Islands Village Center||Jumeirah Islands|
|Jumeirah Park Community Center||Jumeirah Park||See Pavilion||Geant, opening date Q3 2013? Or early 2014?|
|Jumeirah Plaza||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd||RTA, House of Prose|
|Marks & Spencer||Al Muraqqbat||Salahuddin Rd||Next to Toys R Us|
|Naif Bazaar||Naif||Naif Rd|
|New Gold Souk||Al Mina Rd||Gold shops|
|New West Zone Badaa||Al Bada'a||Al Hudaiba St||Supermarket only?|
|New West Zone Muteena||Muteena||Al Mutenna St||Supermarket only?|
|Old Souk Bur Dubai||Al Souk Al Kabeer||Old Souk Abra Station|
|Palm Strip Dubai||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd||Opposite Jumeirah Mosque|
|Pavilion Jumeirah Park||Jumeirah Park||Open Sep 2014, Geant Easy supermarket|
|Plant Road||Al Badaa||Al Hudaiba St||Near Iranian Hospital, plants and picture frames|
|Royal Mall||Al Manara||Al Wasl Rd||Renamed as the J3 Mall. Opening date 2011?|
|Saga World||Umm Suqeim 1||Beach Rd||+971-4-3959071||Gifts and fashion, not Sega World Dubai|
|Satwa shopping area||Al Badaa||Al Satwa Rd||Parking impossible, busy|
|Shindagha Carrefour||Al Shindagha||Carrefour hypermarket|
|Spice Souk||Al Ras, Deira||Souq area, congested|
|Spinneys Jumeirah||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd|
|Spinneys Trade Center Rd||Al Mankhool||Trade Center Rd||Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed St|
|Spinneys Umm Sequim|
|Souk Al Kabeer||Bur Dubai||Souk area - roadside shops, everything|
|Souk Al Mussalla||Souk Al Kabeer|
|Souk Al Wasl||Deira||Naif|
|Souk Area Bur Dubai||Souk Al Kabeer||Usually means the area near the creek|
|Souk Madinat Jumeirah||Al Sufouh 2||Madinat Jumeira||Great spot for tourists|
|Souk Murshed||Al Ras, Deira|
|SoukExtra Ewan Residences||Open October 2009?|
|Textile Souk||Bur Dubai||Souk area - roadside shops, cloth and tailors|
|The Square||Al Mamzar||Spinneys supermarket and not much else|
|The Village Mall||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd|
|Town Center||Jumeirah 1||Beach Rd||Choithrams nearby|
|Toys R Us||Al Muraggabat||Salahuddin Rd||Next to Marks & Spencer|
|Union Co-op Al Safa||Jumeirah 3||Safa Park Al Wasl Rd||Choithrams also|
|Union Co-op Karama||Al Mankhool||Trade Center Rd||Supermarket only?|
|Union Co-op Muhaisnah||Muhaisna 1||Al Khawaneej Road||Shopping Mall|
Last update Thursday 12-Mar-2015. Page development 3D 4L 5C 25:5
- Abu Dhabi shopping centers
- Ajman Fujairah RAK UAQ shopping centers
- Cafes in Dubai
- Customer service in Dubai
- Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) - a month long shopping event for tourists and residents.
- Dubai shopping malls
- Dubai Summer Surprise - more shopping deals during June, July, and August every year.
- Lulu Dubai - chain of shopping centers, department stores, hypermarkets, and supermarkets.