Supermarkets and grocery shopping in Dubai
Supermarkets and grocery shopping in Dubai and UAE
Most expats should be able to find a supermarket that stocks much the same as what they would find back home, although the range of items might be more limited, especially for more obscure items. Some chains are more popular with certain nationalities, usually because of the range of products stocked, which itself might depend on the prevailing nationality or nationalities living in the suburb of Dubai in which the supermarket is located. Several supermarkets are open 24 hours 7 days per week - some Union Coop stores, one or two Spinneys, some of the Choithrams shops for example.
List of supermarket chains in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE
|Store name||Owner or partner||Number
|Abu Dhabi Cooperative Society||
|Al Ain Cooperative Society||
|Al Areesh Supermarket||+971-4-3971549||Dubai|
|Al Karama Supermarket||+971-4-3376339||Dubai|
|Al Madani Supermarket||+971-4-3535920||Dubai|
|Al Madina Supermarket||
|Al Manara Supermarket||+971-4-2671183||Dubai|
|Al Maya (Lal's) / AlMaya||
|Al Maya JBR Sadaf||+971-4-4389676||Dubai||yes|
|Al Mushrif Cooperative Society||
|Al Safia Supermarket||+971-4-2694722||Dubai|
|Al Shaab Supermarket||+971-4-2665345||Dubai|
|Al Shaikh Supermarket||+971-4-2211050||Dubai|
|Aswaaq supermarkets||Dubai Government||
|Auchan Nakheel||HyperCorp LLC||+971-4-4396066||Dragonmart, Dubai||no||All|
|Bani Yas Cooperative Society||
|Baqer Mohebi Supermarket||+971-4-3512700||Dubai|
|Buy n Save Supermarket||+971-4-2629158||Dubai|
|Carrefour UAE||Majid Al Futtaim Group||
||AJM, AUH, DXB, RAK, SHJ||no||French/all|
|Carrefour Express UAE||MAF Group||
||planned for all Emirates||All|
|Choithrams (not Choitrams)||
|Citi Mart Supermarkets||Dubai|
|City Tower Store||+971-4-3322766||Dubai|
|Ever Fine Supermarket||Dubai|
|Géant UAE (IbnBattuta Mall)||Casino France||
||Dubai, Abu Dhabi (2013)||no||French/all|
|Geant Easy||International City France|
|Habib Bakery & Supermarket||+971-4-2691795||Dubai|
|Hyperpanda (Dubai Festival City)||
|J-Mart Supermarkets||Jaleel Group||+971-4-3339191||Dubai||Asian|
|Jesco Supermarkets||Dubai Hamriya, Nasr Sq|
|Jones the Grocer Al Mamoura||+971-2-4438762||Abu Dhabi||no||Australasian|
|Lal's (Al Maya)||
|Le Marché (Arabian Ranches)||
|Le Petit Marche||Jumeirah Islands|
|Loloat Al Madina Supermarket||+971-4-3510052||Dubai|
|Lulus or LuLu Hypermarket||Emke Group||
|Lulu Express||Emke Group|
|Marks & Spencer||UK|
|Milk & Honey||Dubai, Emirates Hills||rich people|
|Mohammed Rashid Saif Supermarket||+971-4-3445725||Dubai|
|Organic Foods & Cafe||Dubai Mall, The Greens||All|
|Panda Hypermarkets?||Stores planned in UAE|
|Park n Shop||+971-4-3945671||Dubai Al Safa Center||yes||European|
|Ramla Hypermarket||Ramla Group||Dubai Investments Park|
|Red Mountain Supermarket||+971-4-2269206|
|Rokn Al Madina Supermarket||+971-4-2283558|
|Safeer Supermarkets Hypermarkets||
||Oman, Qatar, UAE||Arab/Asian|
|Seven Days Supermarket||+971-4-3351968||Dubai|
|Shop n Save||+971-4-2613507||Dubai|
|Spinneys (Al Fair in Oman)||
||AJM, AUH, DXB, RAK, SHJ||most||Western/all|
|SouqExtra! / SoukExtra!||Lootah Group||
||Al Ain, Dubai|
|Tesco (rumoured only)|
|West Zone Dubai / WestZone||+971-4-4227672||Dubai||no²||Arab/Asian|
- Most supermarkets in the UAE do not stock pork meat or products containing pork (marshmallows for example, unless made with beef gelatin). Assume this column is no unless otherwise indicated. Column contains no for those supermarkets where residents might be more likely to wonder if they do serve pork (foreign supermarkets with an operation in the UAE for example).
- West Zone in Karama has a pork section, not much of one compared to Spinneys or Choithrams though.
Loyalty schemes, payment cards, and special offers
- Airmiles - Spinneys
- Al Afdhal Card - Union Coop
- Wafa Card - Aswaaq
- Al Barsha, 2007?
- Karama, new one January 2008
- Khalidiya Mall, Abu Dhabi, open February 2008, tel +971-2-6354300, fax +971-2-6354488, PO Box 4048, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Barka, 5th one in Oman), Jan 2008
- Buraimi, 6th one in Oman, scheduled to open early 2008
- 67 outlets in Lulu Hypermarkets & Al Falah Plazas in UAE, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait (13 Jan 2008)
- part of Emke Group (UAE), groceries/clothes/electronic goods, 50 stores in MENA region (UAE, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Yemen, Egypt), 51st opening in Aden, Yemen in September (2007? 2008?).
- Executive director of LuLu Hypermarkets is Ashraf Ali MA (December 2007 information)
List of supermarket and hypermarket chains in the UAE
- Abela Supermarket
- Abu Dhabi Cooperative Society
- Al Ain Cooperative Society
- Al Madina
- Al Maya Lal's Supermarket / AlMaya, open 24 hours? Director of Al Maya Supermarkets is Kamal Vachani
- Al Mushrif Cooperative Society
- Auchan - a French hypermarket chain (the best one we reckon), joint venture with Nakheel announced in July 2008 with 5 hypermarkets planned for opening in Nakheel Dubai developments before the end of 2008 (as of mid-2009, there are none).
- Bani Yas Cooperative Society
- Carrefour - Al Mamzar Century Mall, Al Shindagha (Bur Dubai), Deira City Center, Emirates Road (planned), Mall of the Emirates, Mirdif City Center? Abu Dhabi - Marina Mall & Airport Rd, Ajman City Center, Al Ain, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah. UAE sponsor is Majid Al Futtaim group.
- Choithrams (not Choitrams) - relatively large chain of supermarket stores with one or two in most areas. Popular with most nationalities, seen as less appealing than Spinneys or Waitrose by western expats (in reality is probably nearly as good, and usually cheaper). Reasonable bakery, delicatessen, some stores have pork sections. Locations include (incomplete list) The Greens, Al Wasl Rd (2), Bur Dubai, Jumeirah Beach Road
- Emirates Coop Dubai
- Emirates Market
- Géant - Ibn Battuta Mall, open 0930 to midnight 7 days. Tel +971-4-3685858.
- Hyperpanda - Dubai Festival City in Garhoud
- Lal's or Al Maya Lal's Supermarket
- Le Marché - Arabian Ranches Village Center
- LIFCO Supermarket
- Lulus or LuLu Hypermarket (see above)
- Lulu Express - one open at Al Raha Mall in Abu Dhabi, also at the new Mazyad Mall in Mussafah
- Milk & Honey Gourmet Supermarket - Emirates Hills (also on Palm Jumeirah?). Open May 2012. Gourmet and organic products at gourmet prices - bread for AED 50 per loaf, water for AED 100 per bottle, can of coke for AED 10, and so on (Xpress report 24 May 2012).
- Panda convenience stores?
- Ramla Hypermarket in Dubai Investment Park (DIP), official opening date 15 May 2010, area 100,000 sq feet.
- Safeer Malls - all emirates? Also Doha in Qatar, and Oman
- Safestway - near Defense Roundabout, Shaikh Zayed Road
- Shaheen Supermarket
- Spinneys (Al Fair in Oman) - popular with western expats, and also other nationalities happy to pay a premium for their groceries. Has a good range of products, good delicatessen, most stores have a pork section.
- Union Co-Op or Union Co-operative - cheaper than other chains, more like a hypermarket, less selection, no pork section, some stores open 24 hours.
- Waitrose Dubai - relatively new (a UK chain), similar to Spinneys. First Waitrose in the UAE opened in The Dubai Mall November 2008.
- West Zone
- Worldmart in the Arabian Mall Mirdiff
Last update Sunday 03-Jun-2012
- Banks in Dubai
- Carrefour in UAE - list of Carrefour hypermarkets in Dubai and UAE
- Lulu centers Dubai - chain of department stores, supermarkets, and hypermarkets in the UAE
- Online shopping Dubai - list of Dubai and UAE based websites including online supermarket shopping
- Shopping Malls in Dubai - also information about shopping malls in other emirates
- Spinneys UAE - information
- Spinneys - discussion and comments
- www.geant-dubai.com - Géant Dubai website
- [Disabled] Submit URL.