EMKE Group is an Abu Dhabi based company with interests in retail shopping and other businesses. EMKE are the developers of several supermarkets, hypermarkets, and shopping centers in Abu Dhabi and elsewhere in the UAE and other countries in the GCC region.
- Founder and Chairman of EMKE is
Mr M K Abdulla. Founding date of EMKE was 1966.
- Managing Director of EMKE Group is Yusuffali M.A. / Yousuf Ali M.A. (August 2009 information), nephew of the founder, joined EMKE in 1973.
- CEO and/or Group General Manager is Saifee T Rupawala
- Owner of EMKE Group is the Mouslem K Abdullah family of India?
- Over 22,000 employees
- Business interests in Bahrain, Benin, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tanzania, Thailand, UAE, Yemen.
- Turnover of more than $2.1 billion (AED 7.7 billion) in 2008 Previous figures (unconfirmed) $1.2 billion in 2005, $1.4 billion in 2006, $1.14 billion in 2007.
EMKE Group subsidiaries and business interests
- Al Tayeb Cold Stores - import and distribution of frozen meat & poultry, vegetables, dairy products, and other FMCG from international sources, also markets own-brand label ("Tayeb") in the UAE.
- Al Tayeb Meat Establishment - importer and distributor of fresh and frozen meat from Australia, India, Netherlands (Holland). Also re-exports meat from EMKE Group plants in India to Africa and the GCC.
- Amroon Foods, Uttar Pradesh, India - Halal compliant abattoir
- Benin Trading Company (BTC) - consumer goods and agricultural products sales and distribution in Africa
- EK Prima Exports, Bangkok, Thailand - distributor and wholesaler of toys?
- EK Prima Exports, Hong Kong - consumer goods distributor and wholesaler
- EMKE Commodities Ltd, Kenya - distributes agicultural products to Africa
- EMKE Garments, Kenya - same as or a subsidiary of EMKE Commodities?
- EMKE General Trading - import and distribution of worldwide consumer products, marketing of own-label goods
- EMKE Indian School Abu Dhabi - proposed in April 2010 by the Emke Group Managing Director, Yousef Ali M A.
- EMKE Stores - import and wholesale distribution of FMCG and household appliances, and ship chandler
- Fair Exports (India) Ltd - meat processing and export company with 3 plants in India (Cochin, Mumbai, New Delhi - Shahibabad)
- Gulf Star Establishment, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Huda Shipping International - PO Box 4048, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Tel +971-2-6731828, fax +971-2-6731829. Shipping agent.
- Line Investments & Property LLC - shopping mall developer and manager
- Nutfoods East Africa
- PTEK Prima Ekspor (or TEK Prima Ekspor?), Jakarta, Indonesia - exports a wide range of Indonesian products to many different countries around the world
- Syscom College - IT and computer training courses
- Syscom Computer Establishment - provides educational and IT services
- Syscoms Information Technology - umbrella for IT subsidiaries
- Syscom Institute - offers IT training
- Space International Travels - travel agency in Abu Dhabi (for terrestrial travel, not space travel)
EMKE Group shopping centers and hypermarkets in the UAE
Some or all Emke Group shopping malls and Lulu hypermarkets operated and developed by Line Investments and Properties, a subsidiary of Emke Group.
- Lulu's supermarkets and hypermarkets - in all seven emirates (Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaima, Sharjah, Umm Al Quawain) and other GCC countries. A total of 75 with the opening of one in Al Ain in August 2009.
- Al Falah Plaza, Abu Dhabi
- Al Raha Mall, Abu Dhabi, open 2007
- Al Wahda Mall, Abu Dhabi, open 2007
- Emirates General Market, Abu Dhabi
- Galleries Mall in Fujairah, opening date in 2012?
- Khalidiyah Mall, Abu Dhabi, open 2008
- Madinat Zayed Mall / Madinat Zayed Shopping Center
- Mazyad Mall, Mussafah, Abu Dhabi, open 2009
- Mushrif Mall, Abu Dhabi, open August 2011
- Lulu Center
- Lulu Express - smaller versions of Lulu Hypermarkets (there's one in the new Mazayad shopping mall in Mussaffah)
- Lulu Hypermarkets - most recent open in Saniya / Sanaiya, Al Ain August 2009 - 150,000 sq ft on two levels
- Lulu Shopping
- Lulu Supermarket
- RAK Mall in Ras Al Khaimah - opening in 2012?
EMKE Group retail developments outside the UAE
- Al Khobaar Lulu Hypermarket, Saudi Arabia, opened 11 November 2009, 76th store, 23,000 sq meters (250,000 sq feet), location on King Fahd Street.
- Al Khor Mall, Qatar (under development) - 72,000 sq meters (775,000 sq feet) built up area, car parking for 1100 cars
- Al Wakrah Mall, Qatar (under development) - 69,000 sq meters (740,000 sq ft) built up area, Lulu hypermarket, 1750 car parks
- Boushar Mall, Muscat, Oman (under development around an already existing Lulu Hypermarket) - 93,000 sq meters (1 million sq ft), 2500 car parks, in the Muscat diplomatic area, expected footfall of 10m people per year.
- Lulu International Shopping Mall in
Edappally, Kochi / Cochin, Kerala, India - shopping mall, commerical tower for airlines and the aviation sector, and 5 star 300 room Marriot hotel - 2.2 million square feet, scheduled completion end 2010, value AED 1.1 billion. Will be the largest shopping mall in India according to launch announcement in August 2008. Consultants W.S. Atkins of the UK, facilities will include 7 cinema theatres, family amusement center with bowling alley, 50,000 sq ft food court, restaurants, coffee shops and cafes.
- Lulu Hypermarket Al Gharafa, Qatar - 25,000 sq m (270,000 sq ft) on two floors, 900+ car parks. Shops and facilities include
Doha Bank, Joyalukkas jewellers, Mary Brown, Watch Corner, Top Note, Al Dar Optics, Asgharali, Hour Choice, pharmacy, money exchange, optical center.
- Lulu Shopping Centre Oman - open 1999
- Lulu supermarkets and hypermarkets in
Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, UAE, Yemen. Under development in Bahrain, India, and Saudi Arabia.
- Emke announced in October 2006 plans to enter the Saudi Arabia market with developments in
Al Khobar, Dammam, Jeddah, and Riyadh
EMKE Group expansion
- Retail store investment plans worth AED 4.3 billion by end 2010 (Khaleej Times 16 August 2009)
- 14 new hypermarkets and shopping malls worth AED 3.2 billion in the Gulf region by end 2010, with 7 worth AED 1.5 billion in Abu Dhabi
- First Indian project planned in Cochin, worth AED 1.1 billion
- 75 Lulu Hypermarkets open as of August 2009, plans to open a total of 100 stores by end 2011.
- 7 new Lulu hypermarkets planned for Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, UAE in 2009.
- Managing Director, Yousuf Ali M.A. said to Gulf News in a 12 November 2009 report "We have already invested Dh140 million in our Al Khobar store and plan to open four more hypermarkets and department stores at an investment of Dh600 million by the end of 2010. ... All our planned projects are on track and we were able to open five new hypermarkets this year, and our immediate plans include the upcoming Mushrif Mall, shopping mall in Al Ain, four hypermarkets in Oman, Bahrain and Kuwait"
- Mushrif Mall is in Abu Dhabi, Al Foah Mall is in Al Ain
EMKE Group contact details
- EMKE Group, PO Box 4048, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Tel +971-2-6421800, fax +971-2-6421716, email email@example.com
Last update Monday 19-Mar-2012