Auchan hypermarkets and supermarkets in Dubai
Auchan hypermarkets in Dubai and UAE
Auchan is a French hypermarket chain which, together with Retailcorp World (previously Nakheel Retail), is planning to open up Auchan stores in Nakheel Properties developments in Dubai, with expansion to other areas in the GCC region. Which we're looking forward too - we like Auchan the most out of the French hypermarket chains. Disappointingly though, the first Auchan that opened in Dragonmart is more like a clone of the other UAE hypermarkets than the original Auchan stores in France.
Auchan hypermarket in Dragonmart Dubai closed in November or December 2010 with no plans to reopen that store. Unknown if Auchan will be looking to open again in another location in the UAE.
According to a Reuters report 18 July 2008 and statements from Graham Dreverman, Managing Director of Nakheel:
- HyperCorp LLC is a Nakheel Retail food and groceries subsidiary established to build supermarkets in the Gulf region with Auchan Group (update 30 October 2009 - might now be called Retailcorp World-Hypercorp or Hypercorp).
- Auchan holds a 10% share of Hypercorp.
- Managing Director of Hypercorp is Jean Marie Teyssedre. Announced 08 July 2008. Appointed February 2008?
- 5 Auchan hypermarkets planned for Nakheel developments in Dubai with opening dates expected before end of 2008. Obviously that didn't happen. There's one in DragonMart, unknown when any more will open - 01 October 2009 update.
- 15 Auchan hypermarkets and 40 Auchan supermarkets planned in the GCC region by 2018.
Auchan Dragonmart is much like the UAE Carrefour or Geant stores, although prices seem slightly cheaper (a very unscientific opinion based on one visit). Probably not enough of a difference to make a special trip worth while, and nothing obviously different in the range of products available - which seems quite limited compared to the the Auchan stores in France.
- Auchan Dragon Mart location in International City, access from the Dubai-Hatta Road / E44 heading in Hatta direction.
- Opening hours 1000-2400 (10am-midnight) 7 days per week
- The Dragonmart store opened August or September 2009? Official opening was on Thursday 29 October 2009.
- Hypermarket area 8725 sq meters (94,000 sq feet)
- The store looks a bit more like a warehouse than the other hypermarkets in Dubai.
- No pork section.
- If you pay with cash, there's a 2% discount on your final bill. Something you don't usually see in supermarkets. Unknown if this is a temporary offer or permanent (was in effect up to October 2009 at least).
- Contact telephone +971-4-4396066.
Nakheel developments in Dubai
Nakheel developments completed or at least with substantial progress and residents as of mid-2009 include (which is where Auchan stores are likely to first open, if they do):
- Discovery Gardens
- Dragonmart / Dragon Mart Auchan open mid-2009? Not listed on Auchan Group website (last checked 01 October 2009).
- Ibn Battuta Mall (IBM) - probably not here since Geant already has a hypermarket in the shopping center.
- International City
- Jumeirah Islands (probably not so likely here - a very residential project with only a small community center, but IBM is nearby)
- Jumeirah Palm Island
- The Gardens
Auchan expansion plans
- Other possible locations in Dubai for Auchan hypermarkets could be Great Mall Dubai, Jumeirah Village, Palm Deira (press release 08 July 2008).
- After the official opening of the first Dubai Auchan in October 2009, reports said that there would be 6 Auchan stores opened in Nakheel developments including Discovery Gardens, International City, Jumeirah Village, and Palm Jumeirah, but only if a joint venture partner signed up to contribute funds.
- Abu Dhabi, Fujairah, and Sharjah were mentioned as possible locations in the UAE
- Bahrain, Kuwait, and Qatar, but not Saudi Arabia as possible Middle East Auchan locations (Maktoob Business 30 October 2009).
Retail Corp World
Press release 29 October 2009 (about the official opening of the Dragon Mart Auchan) referred to as a joint venture between Auchan Group, and
Retailcorp World as a division of Dubai World (which is the parent company of Nakheel Properties). Retailcorp World is the new name for Nakheel Retail, and includes the divisions Hypercorp, Retailcorp Brands, Retailcorp Brands South Africa, Retailcorp Distribution, and Retailcorp Malls.
Last update Friday 04-Feb-2011
- Carrefour Dubai - French hypermarket chain with branches in Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE
- Dragonmart Dubai - lots of Chinese shops under one roof, on the International City side of the Al Awir / Hatta Road
- Géant Dubai - French hypermarket in IbnBattuta shopping mall
- Le Marché - more French supermarkets in Dubai, operated by Geant.
- Shopping Malls in Dubai - also information about shopping malls in other emirates
- Hypermarkets in Dubai - list of supermarket and hypermarket chains in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and the UAE
- [Disabled] Submit URL.