International City Dubai
International City in Dubai is a property development by Nakheel, located in the Al Warsan / Al Warqaa area of Dubai off Emirates Road, with apartment clusters themed after China, England, France, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Morocco, Persia, Russia, Spain, Thailand.
- International City has some of the cheapest freehold apartment properties in Dubai - mostly studio, 1, and 2 bedrooms available.
- Master developer of International City is Nakheel
- Launch date was July 2002.
- Area of International City is about 300 hectares with 387 buildings. Central District area is 21 hectares with 34 buildings.
- Development is divided into 10 residential districts or precincts - China, England, France, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Morocco, Persia, Russia, Spain, Thailand. Also 4 other districts - Central District, Dragonmart Complex, Forbidden City, Lake District.
- The residential districts consist of apartment buildings with 2, 3, or 4 floors, including retail offices and shops on the ground floor.
- There is little structural difference between buildings in the different clusters. The noticeable differences are the color of the buildings, and some design features which are aesthetic rather than functional.
- The weather is much the same whether you live in Russia or Morocco, i.e hot and sunny in winter, very hot and sunny in summer.
- Total of 27,437 units - 22,235 residential units and and 5,202 retail units.
- Apartments in the country-themed clusters are either studios (area 44.5 square meters) or one bedroom (area 66.5 sq m).
- Car parking is mostly external and uncovered.
- There are few additional facilities such as swimming pools, or gymnasiums, except for some gym clubs established independently. The Lake District has more amenities though.
Shops and retail facilities in or near International City
- Auchan Hypermarket Dubai - in the Dragon Mart shopping center
- Dragonmart - shopping mall with lots of shops selling Chinese products
- Restaurants with takeaway and delivery service - should be more than enough variety for most residents
- Spinneys market - one in the France cluster and one in the China cluster
Problems at International City
- Bad smells from nearby sewage plant
- Flooding due to inadequate drainage system
- Restaurants, shops, and other retail services slow to be established (although this it not really as much of a concern in 2009 and 2010).
- Traffic problems - access to and from the complex gets choked up at busy times.
- Complaints of crime (theft, fighting, prostitution), and poor maintenance.
International City Dubai apartment rents
International City Dubai apartment prices
- Launch prices AED 180,000-220,000 for studio apartments, AED 240,000-320,000 for one-bedroom apartments.
- Prices in mid 2008 peaked at about AED 400,000 for studios, and AED 600,000 for one bed apartments, before tumbling in the 2008-2009 Dubai property crash.
- Prices in mid-2010 approximately AED 190,000-210,000 for studios, AED 290,000-310,000 for 1-bdrm apartments.
The Lake District
- The Lake District is a more upmarket (relatively) section of International City, with 1, 2, 3 bedroom apartments, and facilities including swimming pools and gymnasiums.
- Lake District apartments overlook Al Warsan Lake, between the Greece and Morocco clusters, and across the road from the sewage plant.
- Total of 2,367 apartments in 34 buildings. Divided into 5 clusters named after birds seen in the UAE - Ghawway, Hud Hud, Karrawan, Sallal, Tillaili.
Last update Thursday 26-Aug-2010. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.