Dubai Summer Surprises
Dubai Summer Surprises
Dubai Summer Surprises (DSS) 2011 dates, information and guide. Dubai Summer Surprises is a summer version of the Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF), held during June, July, and August, with special events, sales and discounts in shops and malls throughout Dubai. The giant yellow maggot, Modhesh, is the DSS mascot seen on signs all over Dubai helping to promote DSS, but goes into hibernation for the DSF.
Dubai Summer Surprises 2014
- DSS renamed to "Summer is Dubai 2014" or is part of SID 2014? New website is annoying, can't find information easily.
Dubai Summer Surprises 2013
- Dates for DSS are Friday 07 June to Sunday 07 July 2013. DSS is one month long and part of the "Summer in Dubai" or "Summer is Dubai" promotion, festival, event.
- "Summer in Dubai" campaign is 3 months, SID dates are 07 Jun to 07 Sep 2013. SID includes
- Dubai Summer Suprises 2013.
- Ramadan in Dubai 2013.
- Eid in Dubai 2013.
Dubai Summer Surprises 2012
- DSS 2012 dates are 14 Jun to 14 Jul 2012.
- Modhesh World open from 14 Jun to 25 Aug 2012?
Dubai Summer Surprises 2011
- Dubai Summer Surprises 2011 dates 22 June to 31 July 2011 (39 days) (announced 26 September 2010).
- Shorter than normal period due to Ramadan start date likely to be 01 August 2011.
- Shopping malls in Dubai open from 1000-2400 (10am to midnight) daily from 01 to 31 July 2011. Announced 01 July 2011, agreement between Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) and the Dubai Shopping Malls Group (DSMG).
- Restaurants in shopping malls open from 0800-0100.
Dubai Summer Surprises 2010
- Dubai Summer Suprises 2010 dates are 17 June to 07 August 2010.
- Key sponsors for DSS 2010 include Coca-Cola,
- First Dubai Summer Surprise shopping festival held in 1998. Up to 2010, 17.5 million people have spent AED 22.5 billion during the DSS events (07 August 2010 press release).
- Modhesh World is an indoor theme park highlighting the DSS mascot.
Dubai Summer Surprises 2010 list of participating malls and events
- Al Bustan Center
- Al Ghurair City
- Al Manal Centre
- Al Mulla Plaza
- Arabian Centre - "The Biggest Kidz Extravaganza" for children with activities including a car racing track, fashion show, fancy dress contest, story-telling, talent show, walking on water.
- Burjuman Center
- Century Mall
- Deira City Center
- Dubai Marina Mall - "All that Glitters is Gold" prize draw (see The Dubai Mall)
- Dubai Marina Walk
- Dubai Outlet Mall
- Gold and Diamond Park - "All that Glitters is Gold" prize draw (see The Dubai Mall)
- Hamarain Centre
- Jumeirah Town Centre
- Lamcy Plaza
- Mall of the Emirates
- Mazaya Centre Dubai
- Mercato Mall Dubai
- Mirdiff City Center
- Oasis Centre
- Palm Strip Jumeirah
- Reef Mall
- Souk Al Bahar - "All that Glitters is Gold" competition (see The Dubai Mall)
- The Dubai Mall -
"All that Glitters is Gold" campaign with prizes of jewellery, gold bars, and Business Class airline tickets to a "golden city" in Europe including Amsterdam, Madrid, Prague. Events include:
- Sheila & Abaya Fashion Show from 08-11 July 2010 at the Fashion Catwalk
- Mini Bladi Exhibition from 17-26 July 2010 at the Gold Souk Atrium
- Kids Wonder Talent Show from 17-19 June 2010, 24-26 June 2010, and 12-14 July 2010
- Tap & Hip Hop Dancers from 21-23 June 2010
- Circus Fera Show from 28-30 June 2010 and 15-16 July 2010
- Butterflies Show from 27-28 July 2010 and 05-07 August 2010
- Yellow Speed Team from 29 July to 31 August 2010
- Centre of Musical Arts music concert on 18 June 2010 in the Gold Souk Treasury Dome
- Father's Day Event from 16-18 June 2010
- Bloomingdale's beauty event from 09-19 June 2010
- Oud & Qanoon shows, saxophonists, Spanish guitarists, mime artists, and living statues
- Wafi Mall / Wafi Center - up to 75% discount, Modhesh Kiosk
Dubai Summer Surprises 2009
- Length of festival 65 days
- Total of 2.2 million visitors with consumer spending of AED 3.37 billion (DSF press release 07 August 2010).
Dubai Summer Surprise statistics and figures
|2011||22 Jun to 31 Jul|
|2010||17 Jun to 07 Aug|
|2009||2.2 million||AED1.49 billion¹||23|
- Conflicting reports seen. DSF press release 07 August 2010 says 3.37 bn, Dubai Chamber press release 17 August 2010 says Sales at the emirate's malls rose by 17% during the 65 day festival in 2009, with total revenues at 23 shopping malls across Dubai reaching AED1.49bn, up from AED1.27bn at the same shopping malls in 2008. Different figures might be shopping malls only versus total spend in Dubai?
Summer promotions in other emirates
Shopping centes in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, and the other UAE emirates also run summer promotions at the same, or similar, times as Dubai Summer Surprises. Including in 2010:
- Sahara Center Sharjah - from 17 June to 07 August 2010 with events and discounts, two Nissan Patrol prizes, and fortnightly raffle draws. Also a "Sahara Goes Africa" promotion with events related to the 2010 FIFA World Cup, from 01-22 July 2010.
Last update Monday 28-Apr-2014. Page development 4L 5C.
- Dubai shopping centers
- Dubai Shopping Festival 2010
- Dubai shopping malls
- Dubai Summer Surprises 2010 - forum topic
- Theme Parks in Dubai
- www.coolkids.ae - Cool Kids Dubai - a Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) website for promotions and events for children during DSS 2010 (not available when checked June 2010).
- www.mydsf.com - Dubai Summer Surpises (and Dubai Shopping Festival) official website. Not available Apr 2014. DSF website now at www.mydsf.ae. DSS website appears to have moved to ...
- ... www.summerisdubai.com. Website says copyright "Dubai Corporation for Tourism & Commerce Marketing" which is a new section (in 2014) of the DTCM. But website behaviour is suspicious (popups that you can't close etc).