List of theme parks and amusement parks in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE
List of theme parks and amusement parks in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE. Information and guide to entertainment areas in the UAE.
- The largest theme parks in the UAE are Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, and WOW RAK in Ras Al Khaimah - both expected to open by end of 2010.
- The best theme park in Dubai is the indoor Sega Republic in The Dubai Mall shopping center. At least until Dubailand reboots.
- Most shopping centers in the UAE have at least a small children's play area. The larger malls have a more comprehensive amusement center, or centers, with rides and video games for big children as well as toddlers.
- For wet and wild water fun, Wild Wadi, Aquaventure at Atlantis Dubai, and Dreamland in Umm Al Quwain are all worth a trip.
Roller Coasters in the UAE
Flight simulators in the UAE open to the public
- Abu Dhabi - 747-400 jumbo jet aircraft simulator by Mutahida Simulators at Al Bateen Airport in Abu Dhabi for public use (children have to be accompanied by parents) at AED 750 per hour. Simulator is a full-sized cockpit, not a video game arcade ride. Unknown if you have to wear a pilot's uniform though (press release 16 May 2010).
- Abu Dhabi - iPilot A380 simulator in the Yas Mall, opening March 2014.
- Dubai - iPilot Boeing 737 simulator in The Dubai Mall (between Reel Cinemas and Kidzania). Varying times available with charges from AED 299 for 15 minutes to AED 1,349 for 90 minutes (2013 prices).
Theme parks in the UAE
- Angry Birds Theme Park - under discussion or development, location undecided (competing bids from Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Dubai, and Doha-Qatar reportedly) (Emirates 24-7 news 20 Jun 2013). The report quoted Nigel Cann, Director of Operations & Business Development at Gebal Co, the exclusive representatives of Angry Birds play equipment manufacturer in the UAE and Qatar, as saying "We have had discussions with parties in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Al Ain and Doha"
List of theme parks in Abu Dhabi
- Aqua Fun inflatable water park - on the Abu Dhabi Corniche, opened Nov 2013? Rides or activities include Soap Soccer, Bossaball, water slide (the tallest inflatable water slide in the world apparently). Area of park is about 2,000 sq m. Developer plans to open more inflatable water parks in Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah, and possibly other countries outside the UAE. Founder of Aqua Fun is Ahmed bin Chaibah.
- Ferrari World Abu Dhabi - automobile-themed park with fastest roller coaster in the world and another 18 wild rides. Opening date 28 October 2010. The first proper theme park in the UAE, located on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi. Should be a blast!
- Iceland Water Park Abu Dhabi - planned by the RAK Iceland Water Park owners, Polo Water Park LLC, according to a report in Emirates 24-7 on 17 December 2011. Opening date not supplied.
- Warner Brothers Theme Park - also on Yas Island. Deal signed September 2007 with Abu Dhabi Media Company and Aldar Properties, construction start date planned for 2009, opening date scheduled for 2011, but suspended or delayed. Nothing happening as of July 2010.
- Yas Waterworld - water theme park on Yas Island - announced June 2010, developer Aldar Properties, designer Atkins (UK), area 16.4 hectares, facilities to include 40 rides, construction start date July 2010, completion scheduled for 2012.
List of theme parks in Ajman
Erm, no, there aren't any we think. And if any were planned, they're probably on hold or cancelled - take a drive up Emirates Road to see the abandoned Ajman property developments. Well except for one perhaps ...
- Al Zorah Resorts - a theme park, pedestrian walkway, and beach club. Developer Al Zorah Development Company. Phase I completion planned for mid-2015.
List of theme parks in Al Ain
- Hili Fun City (Al Hili Fun City) - probably not as much fun as it sounds. Go to the Al Ain Zoo and Wildlife Park instead and take the train ride. Website www.hilifuncity.ae.
Founded in 1985.
- 25 Dec 2013 (WAM) - ice skating rink opened after renovation, capacity 1,400 people (presumably audience, not skaters). Area 60m x 90m (5,400 sq meters), project cost AED 4m. Upgrade to Olympic standard for event hosting e.g. ice hockey championships. Original ice rink was the first one in the UAE when opened in 1987.
List of theme parks in Dubai
- Al Khaeel Equestrian Theme Park - in Dubailand, status unknown.
- Aquadunia/Aquaduniya Theme Park in Dubailand - on hold or cancelled?
- Aquaplay - children's indoor water park in Mirdif City Centre
- Aquaventure - water park with slides and stuff at Atlantis Resort Dubai on the Jumeirah Palm Island
- Bawadi - massive area in Dubailand with hotel resorts, shops, commerical and residential buildings, theme parks. A Dubai version of Las Vegas minus the casinos and gambling. Development suspended or cancelled in 2008-2009.
- Beach Water Park - floating park off the JBR coast in Dubai Marina, inflated slides, trampolines, and other floaty bouncy stuff to climb around and jump on. Operated by Arabian Water Parks. Ticket prices in 2014: day pass AED195, hourly rates AED 50 for children (minimum age 6 years old), AED 60 for adults. Buy tickets on the beach and swim out. Open April 2014. Opening times 0900-1200 and 1500-1900 during summer, 0830-1830 straight through in winter.
- Children's City Dubai, location Dubai Creek Park, educational city for children aged 2-15 years old, tel +971-4-3340808, website www.childrencity.ae.
- Cite des Enfants - children's entertainment in Mirdiff City Centre
- City of Arabia Theme Park - see IMG Theme Park
- Disney World Dubai or Disneyland Dubai - no, there isn't one, or anything planned as far as we know. More information in heading below.
- Dubai Adventure Studios or World - $2.7 billion project (AED 10 billion)!? Sounds massive! Located in Jebel Ali area. Developer Meeras Holdings. Announced Nov 2012. Stage 1 completion expected in 2014. Five different theme parks, development cost AED 10 billion, developer Meraas Holding.
Phase I, Dubai Adventure Studios, expected to be completed by 2014? Not clear if Dubai Adventure Studios is name of one of the theme parks, or overall development.
- Bollywood Park - Bollywood theme park, with a theater to showcase musical productions.
- Children's theme park - for pre-school and primary school children.
- Dubai Adventure Studios - first announced December 2011, Hollywood branded adventure park.
- Marine and water life park - animals, rides and attractions.
- Night safari park - based on the Arabian desert.
- Dubai Metro - not really a theme park but the new (in 2009) subway system is so much fun, at least the first couple of times, we had to include it (yes, we know we're a bit sad).
- Dreamworks Theme Park in Dubailand - on hold or cancelled?
- F1 Theme Park - part of Dubai Motorcity. On hold or cancelled? Not the same as Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi.
- Global Village in Dubai - has a few amusement park type rides, nothing particularly spectacular though. The Ferris wheel is about the most interesting because of the views of Dubai from out in the desert.
- Herbie Theme Park - Herbieland (as in Herbie the VW Bug from the Walt Disney films), possibly at the Dubai Autodrome. Possible design plans include main building shaped like a giant baseball with a museum, workshop, and café (news reports 23 October 2011). Developer is Graham Henderson.
- iFly Dubai - indoor sky diving simulator at Mirdiff City Center.
- IMG Worlds of Adventure (IMGWOA) - large indoor IMG theme park in City of Arabia. Replaces the Restless Planet theme park? Developer Ilyas and Mustafa Galadari Group (IMG), built up area of 1.2 million sq feet including a large roller coaster. Opening date end of 2013 (according to May 2012 news reports) but who knows, since the City of Arabia development has barely got off the ground as of 2012 (originally announced 2005 with completion planned for 2010). Update Jan 2014: still not open, most recent planned dates are early 2014 (not likely), or sometime in 2014 (end of 2014 seems possibly but still doubtful - at least there is a skeleton structure of the building visible on the E311 Rd).
- Kidzania - children's edutainment city in The Dubai Mall. A great place to take young children.
- Legoland Park in Dubai (Lego Land Dubai) - a children's theme park made of small plastic blocks. Developer Merlin Entertainment (owned by Kirkbi Denmark, the owners or operators of The Lego Group). UAE partner Tatweer when park first proposed, with planned completion date in 2011. Delayed until an unknown date or suspended indefinitely in 2010.
- Marvel Adventure - a Marvel Comics indoor theme park in City of Arabia development. Opening date in 2013 maybe? Area 1.2 million square feet. Development and construction by Ilyas and Mustafa Galadari Group (IMG).
- Modhesh World (or Modesh World) - indoor theme park all about the funny looking yellow maggot ... erm ... mascot from the Dubai Summer Suprises shopping festival. Children's activities and facilities including Arts and Crafts, Camel riding, Heritage and Culture, Horse riding, Lego, Skateboarding, Soft Play area, Sports Zone, and more. Coffee shops and restaurants also. Established in 2000, located at Dubai Airport Expo.
- Pharaohs Theme Park - part of Falconcity of Wonders in Dubailand. Construction delayed or suspended.
- Restless Planet in City of Arabia, Dubailand - a dinosaur theme park in Dubai, construction delayed ... suspended ... cancelled ... renamed as IMG Worlds of Adventure (IMG WOA) theme park?
- Sega World Dubai - indoor amusement center in The Dubai Mall with roller coaster and other rides.
- Six Flags joint venture with Tatweer, 5 million sq ft theme park in Dubailand. Announced March 2008? On hold or cancelled?
- Ski Dubai - not really a theme park but fun all the same. An indoor ski slope at Mall of the Emirates. Advanced skiers will get bored quickly but a great place for learning, and intermediate skiers and snowboarders will enjoy it for a short while.
- Stargate Dubai - theme park in Zabeel Park with small roller coaster, children's educational entertainment, food court, and shops.
- Universal Studios Theme Park in Dubai Land. Announced in 2007, scheduled to open in 2010, delayed to 2012, or on hold or cancelled?
- Wild Wadi - water park on Jumeirah Beach Road between the Burj Al Arab hotel and the Jumeirah Beach Hotel.
- Worlds of Discovery theme parks on the Jebel Ali Palm Island - Aquatica (December 2012), Busch Gardens (2015), Discovery Cove (2015), and SeaWorld (December 2012). Phase I scheduled to open by 2012. Announced in press release 28 February 2008, cancelled or suspended according to news reports February 2009.
Disney World Dubai
- A news report 12 May 2005 (source unknown but attributed to what appears to be the fictional "News Wire Agency Services"?) said that Dubai-based master planning agency Nakheel is secretly in talks with the Walt Disney Co. to build their fourth overseas theme park resort in the emirate of Dubai.
- The report quoted an alleged Disney Resort Executive, John Smith, (really? John Smith?) as saying "We cannot affirm anything at the moment, although we are still scouting locations around the world to spread the magic that Walt started almost 50 years ago,"
- And an anonymous executive allegedly from Nakheel supposedly said "We are very proud to add to our roster of large-scale acheivement and this will most likely crown our creative prowess," but that might have just been made up.
- The Financial Express of India said on 16 May 2005 that the US-based media and entertainment major, ... is exploring other markets like Singapore, China and Dubai for setting up Disneyland, industry sources indicated. But didn't clarify which industry sources told them that Dubai was under consideration.
- A year or so later on 23 March 2006, the Gulf News had a report that said Disney was not considering anything in Dubai, quoting James Rasulo, the Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, as saying "The Middle East's tourism industry is in its early days and it will probably continue to grow but we have not looked at Dubai as a destination aggressively seeking development,"
- A report by Business Intelligence Middle East (a real organisation) a couple of years later on 01 March 2007 with the heading 'Disney renewing talks with Dubai?' said The Dubai real estate leader and master planner Nakheel is known to have been secretly in talks with the Walt Disney Co to build its fifth overseas theme park resort in Dubai. The talks, that date back to 2005..., repeating several quotes from the previous apparently hoax or bogus NWAS report.
- As far as we know there are no plans for a 4th Palm Island in Dubai and/or a Dubai Disney Land or World in Dubai or anywhere else in the UAE. But that doesn't stop continued speculation that Dubai might be a possible location for another Disney Land. Then again, many people think of Dubai as a kind of Disneyland fantasy land anyway.
- There are Disneyland or Disney World theme parks already in California (1955) and Florida (1971) in the USA, Tokyo in Japan (1983), Hong Kong (2005), and Paris in France (1992). Another one is opening in Shanghai, China, in 2012 ... 2014 ... 2016. Rumoured locations of other Disneyland amusement parks include Manama or Fisht Al Jarem in Bahrain (news reports in February 2007 but denied by Disney), New Delhi in India (probably not - rumour was denied by Disney (India) MD, Rajat Jain, in May 2005), Israel (denied by Disney), Marrakech in Morocco, Doha in Qatar, Singapore.
List of theme parks in Fujairah
- None that we know of. But you can go diving off Snoopy Island and chase small sharks (or be chased).
List of theme parks in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)
- WOW RAK - water and ice theme park, shopping mall, and other amusements. Opening of Phase I expected by end 2010.
- Jebel Jais ski resort - a vague plan to create something on a real mountain with real snow. Good luck.
List of theme parks in Sharjah
- Al Qasba - not really a theme park but it has a large Ferris wheel and a few other kiddie rides tucked away behind the restaurants. Also boats available to punt along the canal.
- Safeer Mall Sharjah - indoor theme park with space travel theme, mostly for kids, small roller coaster ride.
- Sahara Center shopping mall - has an adventure land by the upstairs food court with a small roller coaster.
- Sharjah Mega Mall - indoor theme park mostly for kids.
- Water park similar to Wild Wadi in Dubai - on the Al Majaz Waterfront? Opening date June 2013? Developer Sharjah Investment and Development Authority (Shurooq)? Related to the Al Mountazah project? Unclear information supplied.
List of theme parks in Umm Al Quwain
- Dreamland - water park on the coast road between Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah but easier to access from Emirates Road if coming from Dubai or Sharjah.
Last update Saturday 13-Sep-2014. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.