Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai
Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Jumeirah, Dubai, tel +971-4-3480000
Jumeirah Beach Hotel (JBH) is a well-known 5 star hotel on a beach in Dubai. Location is in Umm Suqeim rather than Jumeirah, in the same area as the Burj Al Arab Hotel, the Wild Wadi Water Park, and Madinat Jumeirah. The shape of JBH is a distinctive wave form. JBH has over 600 rooms on 25 floors with spectacular views across Dubai from the top floors. Jumeirah is sometimes written as Jumairah, Jumaira, or Jumeira (the Jumeira Road for example, which is the same as Jumeirah Beach Road).
JBH is in a good location, good quality accommodation, nice beach, all round excellent place to stay if you can get a good deal on a package with your flight. For top class accommodation, there's the Beit Al Bahar Villas (Arabian Village) in the JBH complex.
JBH opened in December 1997 and promptly became one of Dubai's more well-known icons. At least, until the Burj Al Arab Hotel opened next door 2 years later.
Restaurants, Bars, Nightclubs (tel +971-4-4068999 for reservations)
There are more than 20 restuarants, bars, and cafés in Jumeirah Beach Hotel, including
- Al Khayal - Lebanese, with band and belly dancer. Open 7pm-2am, on the first floor.
- Carnevale - Italian, open 12:30-3pm for lunch, 6:30pm-12am for dinner. First floor.
- La Parrilla - Argentinian Restaurant. Great steaks, great view - if you get a window seat. Open 6:30pm-1am.
- Marina - fish food and a golf buggy ride along the breakwater. Open 6pm-12am, Fri brunch 12:30pm-3pm.
- Villa Beach - Mediterranean, on the beach. Lunch 12-5pm, dinner 7-11pm.
- Beachcombers - Asian food on the beach. Buffet and à la carte. Open 7:30am-12am, happy hours 5-7pm, 11pm-12am.
- Latitude - breakfast, lunch, dinner, à la carte & buffet, ground floor. Food from everywhere. Brunch on Fri/Sat 12:30pm-4pm.
- Go West - steaks. What more do you need to know? Ground floor. Open 6pm-12am, happy hour 6-7pm
- Der Keller - German beer, German food. Sehr gut, danke schön. Vorsprung durch technik or something. Open 6pm-1am, first floor.
- Dhow & Anchor - English pub. Contains beer, fish n chips, and Poms. Open 12pm-1am. Ground floor. Good for sports on TV.
- La Veranda - pizza on the beach, open 11am-11pm.
- Waterfront - health food. At The Pavilion Marina & Sports Club. Open 8am-10pm.
Bars, nightclubs, cafés
- The Apartment Lounge & Club - restaurant/lounge bar/nightclub in the basement of JBH, since January 2002. Open Tue-Sat 9pm-3am, free entry except Thu & Fri after 10pm for men and 12am for ladies.
- 360° - great postion at the end of the marina promenade (above the Marina Restaurant), great music, but in one of those oddly frustrating Dubai moments, the authorities at the end of 2007 told 360° to turn the volume down and stop dancing, because it's outside and the noise might annoy the neighbours. As far as we know, not a single fish has ever complained. Open 4pm-2am.
- Uptown Bar - posh piano bar on the 24th floor, with lopsided glasses, and terrace with glorious views of Dubai. Open 7pm-2am.
- Palm Court - snacks and drinks with jazz band and piano player just through the main entrance of JBH. Open 9am-11.30pm
- Ocean Blue - snacks and drinks with your sand, open 10am-9pm, Happy Hour 5-6.30pm. On the beach.
- Pool Bar - how fascinating, a bar in a pool in a beach hotel.
- Café Wadi - coffee and resort views only for Beit Al Bahar guests (the Arabian village)
- Club Eight - cognac, cigars, and pool table for members only, on the ground floor. Open 5pm-1am, Happy Hour 7-9pm
Other entertainment, facilities, and activities
- A beach
- A boat marina with yacht hire
- A large chessboard near the health club
- Fishing charters, golf (putting green), tennis, diving
- Swimming pools including a decent size lap pool
- Shops include a pharmacy, Damas jewellers, perfume & cosmetics, ladies' and men's boutique, eyewear, caviar, Crystal Gallery, DNATA travel agent, car rental, bookshop, photo studio, Jacky's electronics, beachwear and swimwear, Montblanc scribblers, Dubai Duty Free, Persian and antique carpets, tailor, watches, ladies' and men's hair and beauty salon (The French Beauty Centre), Rodeo Drive, leather goods, henna studio, Studio R
- Sinbad's Kids Club, and a Premium Leisure Club to keep your sprogs entertained while you live it up at the beach
- Health Spa with Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Shiatsu, Swedish, Sports massages and treatments
- Arabian Adventures Desert Safari tour operator
- An impressive mural of the planets, Dubai, and the UAE in the main atrium
- Wild Wadi Water Park - big fun next door to JBH
Jumeirah Beach Hotel awards (not a comprehensive list)
- 'Best Hotel in the Middle East' for 2007 by the German Business Traveller magazine (18 Jan 2008)
- 'Best Resort Hotel in the World' award from Business Traveller UK magazine - every year from 2001-2007
- 'MasterCard Priceless Ultra Award for Service' for the Beit Al Bahar Villas (May 2007)
- 'Best Resort' - British Airways Holidays Awards (December 2006)
- 'Best Resort in the Middle East' - 2006 Business Traveller Awards
- 'Number One in the UAE' - 2006 Travel & Leisure's Guide to the World's Best Hotels
- 'Best Foreign Resort Hotel' - The 2005 Telegraph Travel Awards
- 'Best Leisure Resort Hotel in the Middle East' - 2002 Business Traveller Middle East Awards
- 'Best Resort Hotel in the World' - TMO Awards in London, March 2002
- 'Number One Hotel in the World' - Condé Nast Traveller Magazine (1999, 2000)
- 'Best Hotel in the World' - Condé Nast Traveller Magazine
- and so on ...
In other words, if you complain that your sheets weren't turned up properly before you went to bed, you will be buried under an avalanche of award certificates.
Last update Saturday 02-May-2009
- Activities in Dubai - stuff you can do in Dubai
- Budget hotels in Dubai - ok, so JBH was a little more than you wanted to pay?
- Events in Dubai (forum with list and details of some of the latest things happening)
- Hotels in Dubai - a list of some hotels
- Jumeirah Group - owner of Jumeirah Beach Hotel
- Map of Dubai - so you don't get lost
- Shopping centers in Dubai - and the rest of the UAE
- Tourists in Dubai - a brief guide with some ideas
- UAE visas - all the different sorts of visas