Jumeirah Group Dubai
Jumeirah (Jumeirah Group, Jumeirah International)
Not to be confused with Jumeirah district in Dubai, a geographical area, also called Jumeirah (or Jumeira).
The Jumeirah Group, rebranded as simply Jumeirah in 2005, but also referred to as Jumeirah International, is a subsidiary of the Dubai Government owned company Dubai Holding. Executive Chairman is Gerald Lawless. Jumeirah owns and/or operates a number of hotels in Dubai and the UAE, and worldwide, including:
Jumeirah Group hotels in the UAE
- Al Qasr Hotel - one of the 2 boutique hotels at Madinat Jumeirah, Dubai, opened September 2004
- Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa (tel +971-4-8326699), next door to Dubai Endurance City, Dubai, UAE - a 5 star desert resort that's cheaper than the Al Maha Desert Resort, but not as impressive. They will issue you an E-gate card on site though (at least, they did in 2005).
- Burj Al Arab Hotel, Dubai, UAE (tel +971-4-3017777) - the self-awarded 7-star hotel that everyone takes a photo of when visiting Dubai. Is to Dubai what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris, except better because you can sleep in it.
- Dar Al Masyaf - villa accommodation in the Madinat Jumeirah resort, Dubai
- Jumeirah Al Khor, Healthcare City - hotel and apartments (under development)
- Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai, UAE - 5 star hotel on the beach in Umm Suqeim.
- Jumeirah Creekside Hotel
- Jumeirah Desert Pearl Hotel, Aqua Dunya resort, Dubailand, Dubai (under development)
- Jumeirah Emirates Towers (+971-4-3300000), Dubai, UAE - two towers on Sheikh Zayed Road with shops, hotel, offices, and a ladies' only floor in the hotel.
- Jumeirah Etihad Towers, Khalidiya, Abu Dhabi Corniche, UAE - hotel, apartments, shops, offices. Completion late 2010 ... delayed, maybe 2011 or 2012.
- Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
- Mina A' Salam - one of the 2 boutique hotels at Madinat Jumeirah, on the beach in Al Sufouh.
- Palm Jumeirah hotel, managed by Jumeirah, developer Al Fattan Properties of Dubai. Under development.
- World Trade Centre Hotel, Dubai, UAE
Ras Al Khaimah
Umm Al Quwain
... and other Jumeirah resorts and hotels in the rest of the world are (or will be) in
- Azerbaijan - Baku (planned)
- British West Indies - Anguilla
- China - Guangzhou, Shanghai (Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel)
- Germany - Jumeirah Frankfurt
- Italy - Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto in Rome
- Jumeirah Frankfurt - opening announced 10 August 2011 (delayed from 2010?)
- Jumeirah Messilah Beach in Kuwait (opening date 2010 or 2011?)
- Maldives - Jumeirah Dhevanafushi, Jumeirah Vittaveli (opening in 2012?)
- Qatar - Doha
- Spain - Jumeirah Port Soller Resort & Spa in Mallorca
- Thailand - Phuket
- Turkey - Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah in Istanbul
- UK - Glasgow, London (Jumeirah Carlton Towers and Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel)
- US Virgin Islands
- USA - New York (Jumeirah Essex House)
Jumeirah resorts internationally include
- Beetham Tower, Southwark, London - The Jumeirah Hotel will be in the lower half of the tower. Opening in 2011.
- Jumeirah Al Salam Resort, Bahrain - under development (opening before 2011)
- Jumeirah Al Salam Yiti Resort, Oman - under development (opening before 2011)
- Jumeirah Anguilla Resort - opening date expected before beginning 2014. Management agreement signed with Conch Bay Development Ltd. Luxury resort hotel and residences located on 370 acres on the beach on the south side of the island of Anguilla, British West Indies, in the Caribbean. Project coordination by PN Holdings LLC. Facilities planned include 140 rooms, 460 residential units and apartments, spa, conference facilities, beach clubs. Championship 18-hole golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus - the curiously named "Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course" (10 January 2011 press release).
- Jumeirah Bali Resort, Indonesia - under development (developer is PT Bali Nusa Intan) in the Sawangan area. A five-star hotel with 225 rooms, suites, and villas, along with a wedding chapel and a Talise Wellness spa. Resort is expected to open by 2011. Update 19 January 2011 (press release) - Jumeirah group signed a management agreement with PT Asia Pasifik Properti to operate the resort. Opening date delayed until 2015. Location on the southern tip of the Jimbaran District, overlooking the Dreamland surf beach and next to the New Kuta Golf Course. Facilities will include 80 hotel suites and 25 private villas.
- Jumeirah Botany Bay Resort, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (formerly known as The Preserve at Botany Bay) - a five star boutique hotel under development, with 84 rooms, timeshare and full ownership villas, and 20 Grand Estates, opening by 2011.
- Jumeirah Carlton Tower, London, UK, tel +44-20-7235 1234
- Jumeirah Essex House, Central Park South, New York, USA
- Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel, Shanghai, China
- Jumeirah Lego Hotel, Essex House, New York - a hotel for small people (it's only 2.5m high) modelled on Essex House, and assembled with 62,000 pieces of plastic.
- Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, London, UK - a boutique hotel in Knightsbridge / Belgravia
- Jumeirah Maldives Resort - a resort under development in the South Malé Atoll (completion expected by 2011)
- Jumeirah Messilah Beach Hotel, Kuwait - under development (completion expected by 2011)
- Jumeirah Phuket Private Island Resort, Phuket, Thailand - a resort on the island of Koh Raet, offshore from Ao Po Bay. Completion late 2008.
- Jumeirah Southlands Resort, Bahamas, scheduled opening mid-2008
- Pera Pelas Palace Hotel in Istanbul, Turkey - agreement for Jumeirah to manage the hotel signed in December 2011. The hotel was renovated during 2009-2011 and reopened on 01 September 2011 (news reports 28 December 2011).
Jumeirah China operations
- Jumeirah Group has 6 management agreements in China for hotels and resorts in Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Macau, Sanya, Shanghai (as of 04 January 2011 press release).
- Jumeirah plans to establish 12 new hotels in China by end of 2012 (Chian Daily 20 December 2010).
- Jumeirah Han Tang Xintiandi Hotel, Shanghai, China (scheduled opening August 2008).
- Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, Pudong - 5 stars, soft opening announced 01 April 2011, facilities include 401 rooms including 62 suites and residences, four restaurants and lounge bars, 24-hour fitness centre, indoor swimming pool, meeting, conference and event facilities, two ballrooms, 5,000 sq m rooftop Infinity Garden. Interior designed by KCA International. Located as part of the Himalayas Centre.
- Thousand Islands Lake Resort (press release 04 January 2011) - agreement signed with Liuhe Group for Jumeirah to manage the Jumeirah Thousand Islands Lake Resort in Qiandaohu, China. TILR is located on Qiandao Lake in the Hangzhou-Thousand Island Yellow Mountain Golden Tourism Route. Opening date expected to be in 2014.
Jumeirah seven star hotels
- Burj Al Arab in Dubai
- Seoul - 30 October 2009 report in the Korea Herald says Jumeirah Group considering construction of a 7 star hotel in Gwanghwamun (not Gwanghawmun). The Korea Herald was reporting on a report in the Maeil Business Newspaper, and said "The company is planning to put about $507 million into their first business in Korea."
Note that 7 star hotels are a self-awarded designation. Official rating is 5 stars.
Other operations owned and/or managed by the Jumeirah Group include
- Aqua Dunya resort and theme park, Dubailand, Dubai, (proposed)
- JCast - in house promotional videos about the Jumeirah Group. A riveting alternative to the Discovery Channel
- Jumeirah Beach Club Resort & Spa (tel +971-4-3445333), known as the Hilton Beach Club in a former life, closed 11 January 2007 for a bit of a spring clean and a lick of paint. Was supposed to open again end of 2007, actual date unknown.
- Jumeirah Branded Restaurants - operates 5-star noodle eateries called the 'Noodle House' in Deira City Centre, Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC), Jumeirah Emirates Towers Boulevard, and Souk Madinat Jumeirah. Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodles are not on the menu.
- Jumeirah Collection (tel +971-4-4068013) - an online store with goodies ranging from clothes to diving trips, for him, her, the kids, and the home. Launched November 2007.
- Jumeirah Hospitality (tel +971-4-3198866) - catering and events management
- Jumeirah Living - a subsidiary which will manage the hotels and villas in the Madinat Jumeirah expansion announced November 2012.
- Madinat Arena - concert and entertainment venue the size of an aircraft hanger at Madinat Jumeirah. Dubai Film Festival premieres get screened here.
- Madinat Jumeirah (tel +971-4-3668888), Dubai, UAE - contains Souk Madinat Jumeirah, Madinat Arena, Mina A' Salam, Al Qasr, and Dar Al Masyaf.
- Saraya Aqaba, Jordan - hotels and theme park (under development).
- Sirius (tel +971-4-3647500) - a rewards program so you can add another bit of plastic to your wallet and collect points you never use.
- Souk Madinat Jumeirah - shopping, bars and restaurants in Madinat Jumeirah.
- Talise Spa - health spas in Jumeirah hotels where you can choose from having Essential Wellness, Exceptional Wellness, and the wellest wellness of them all - Extraordinary Wellness. After which you can go on something called a 'Chakra Journey'.
- The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management, Dubai, UAE (tel +971-4-3155555) - a tertiary level education facility offering hospitality and tourism programs.
- Venu Bilgah Hotel, Baku, Azerbaijan - management agreement signed with Azinco Holding Company, announced 02 December 2010. Hotel opening date 2011. Located on Caspian Sea, similar in style and shape to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Dubai.
- Wild Wadi Water Park, Umm Suquiem, Dubai, UAE, tel +971-4-3484444
Further developments are planned for Abu Dhabi, Aqaba, Bermuda, Doha, Dubai, London, Mallorca, Phuket, Shanghai. Jumeirah expect to have close to 60 hotels and resorts in their portfolio by 2011 2012 (according to 28 April 2010 press release), and expect to open another 30 in 2013.
- Venu Hotels is a new Jumeirah Group brand, to be launched later in 2010 (28 April 2010 press release).
- Venu Hotels will be a "contemporary lifestyle hotel brand" says Jumeirah, hotel ratings will be 5-star.
- First Venu Hotel to be Venu Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, announced 24 June 2010. Jumeirah Group signed a management agreement with with Shanghai Zendai Himalayas Real Estate Co. Ltd. The Venu Himalayas is scheduled to open in 2011 in the Himalayas Centre arts and culture hub in the Pudong district of Shanghai. Hotel architect is Arata Isozaki, interior designer is KCA International.
- Second Venu hotel will be the Venu Bilgah Hotel in Baku, due to open in 2011 (see above for more details).
Jumeirah Group rebranding
Jumeirah Group rebranded itself as just Jumeirah from 22 June 2005. Presumably it was a marketing department thing but not clear if it was deliberate or accidental that the new name might confuse residents and visitors to Dubai who want to visit the Jumeirah (or Jumeira) district. Anyway, now they can end up in a Jumeirah hotel instead, and if they don't know the difference between a suburb and a hotel, the gullible ones especially will believe Jumeirah Group when they say you have to pay to visit or stay in Jumeirah.
Jumeirah Group contact details
- Tel +971-4-3665000.
Last update Saturday 14-Feb-2015
- www.jumeirah.com - Jumeirah Group website with links to all their other websites
- [Disabled] Submit URL.