Emirates Academy in Dubai
||Mr Ron Hilvert (Managing Director)
|Executive body or owner
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
private profit-making college, Ministry of Higher Education license
|College location / area
||Umm Suqiem, near Burj Al Arab - location map
||PO Box 29662, Dubai, UAE
||BSc (Hons), ASc, MSc (2009)
||67,330-72,430 dhs per year (2008-2009)
|Instructor salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Instructor job satisfaction rating
(by instructors, not about instructors)
Comments about Emirates Academy
Add a comment or review about Emirates Academy
01 September 2011
- Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management was awarded accreditation by
The International Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Education (THE-ICE) in Australia, and the Institute of Hospitality (IOH) in the UK (press release).
- Website domain www.emiratesacademy.edu forwards to www.jumeirah.com/en/Jumeirah-Group/The-Emirates-Academy/
22 September 2008
- Email received from Emirates Academy says full name is "The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management" (EAHM).
- Courses offered are BSc (Hons), ASc, MSC (2009):
- Bachelor of Science Degree with Honours in International Hospitality Management - 4 year program including a 6 month internship, and the option of studying at the Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne in Switzerland for 2 semesters.
- Associate Degree in International Hospitality Operations - the first 5 semesters of the BSc program
- MSc in International Hospitality Management is under development and scheduled to start in 2009.
- Previous course list was BA, BSc, AA, ASc, BTEC.
- Fees information updated (was 50,000-65,000 dhs per annum). Fees are about 35,000 dhs per semester except for internship - fees are about 8,000 dhs for that semester.
- Campus accommodation (studio) costs 16,800 dhs per semester (33,600 dhs per year). A bargain compared to accommodation costs on the open market in Dubai during 2008.
09 August 2007
- PO Box changed from PO Box 11416 (address for Jumeirah Beach Hotel, also part of Jumeirah group of companies).
- Student accommodation fees up to about 30,000 dhs per year. Course fees updated for 2007-2008.
- Now called "Emirates Academy" (was previously "Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management").
- Dean of Emirates Academy is Dr Stuart Jauncey.
- Emirates Academy announced the availability of scholarships for Emirati students worth a 50% fee discount if they have greater than 80% in high school academic
achievement and good English.
- Emirates Academy course summaries
(no longer valid - see 2008 update)
- BSc in International Hospitality Management. 4 year program, with 6 month
internship. Option of two semesters at the Ecolé Hoteliere de Lausanne
in Switzerland. Course focuses on operational management in a commercial
- BA in International Tourism Management. Program preparing
students for leadership positions in the travel and tourism
industry. Syllabus covers service quality,
tourism, economics and strategic management.
- ASc in International Hospitality Operations. An Associate
Degree made up of the first 5 semesters
of the BSc in International Hospitality Management.
- AA in Business & Tourism. An Associate Degree consisting of the first
5 semesters of the BA in International Tourism Management.
- AA in Business & Tourism
part-time. Evening study Associate Degree program, same as the full time
Associate Degree in Business and Tourism spread over 6 semesters (3
years) with the internship completed at the end of the course.
- BTEC National Diploma Programme in Hospitality Supervision. A 2 year
course of vocational training, with work placement, for employment in the
- Hospitality Industry Maharat Training Program for UAE Nationals. A 9 week
introduction to the Tourism & Hospitality industry with work placement.
12 November 2006
- Part of the Jumeirah Group. Associated with
Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne.
programs BSc (Hons) in International Hospitality Management, BA (Hons)
in International Tourism Management, ASc in International Hospitality Operations,
AA in Business and Tourism, BTEC National Diploma in Hospitality Supervision
(check if approved).
- Degree programs accredited by UAE Ministry of Higher
Education and Scientific Research.
- Student accommodation available on campus
(studio apartments) for about 25,000 dhs per year.
- Multinational staff and
- Course directors Dr John Sutton and Dr Morag Stewart.
- Courses not
segregated but accommodation is.
- Also referred to as "The Emirates Academy
of Hospitality Management".
- Course fees 30,000-50,000 dhs per year.
Last update 22 September 2008
General Comments - might not apply to Emirates Academy
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.