Dubai Endurance City
Dubai International Endurance City (DIEC)
Dubai International Endurance City (DIEC), or Dubai Endurance City, is a purpose built development, in the Seih Assalam area of Dubai, to facilitate endurance racing (marathons for horses). About 8 events are held each year, from the end of November to the beginning of March.
- The DIEC (also known as the Dubai International Endurance Village) opened for business in 1999.
- The Dubai Equestrian Club organises events at the DIEC
- FEI World Endurance Championships were held at DIEC in January 2005
- Since 1999, an annual FEI/UAE Endurance World Cup is held at DIEC (originally called World's Preferred Endurance Ride).
Endurance races range in length from 40 km to 160 km with horses (and riders) starting at 6 am and completing the event in several phases (or stages / loops). At the end of each phase, horses are checked to see if they're still in good health and fit to continue the race. Average speeds are between 25-30 km per hour for the very fit horses. Horses who frequently dine out on hamburgers and doughnuts are slower.
DIEC location and contact
DIEC is next to the Bab Al Shams resort, and is about a 45-60 min drive from Dubai if you can avoid traffic jams. It is signposted if you drive up Al Qudra Road (the one that goes past Arabian Ranches and the Dubai Autodrome from Burj Al Arab), or if you follow the Dubai-Al Ain Road, which is a longer route but possibly quicker while major road construction is going on around the Arabian Ranches area (update: since the new interchange partially opened in 2009, the Arabian Ranches / Motor City route on AlQudra Road should be quicker).
- DIEC office - contact Dubai Equestrian Club, Level 26, Emirates Towers,
Sheikh Zayed Road, PO Box 50333,
United Arab Emirates. Telephone +971-4-3300800, fax +971-4-3300070, email email@example.com.
Other Events at DIEC
- Festival of Civilizations and Cultures of World Deserts (April 2005)
Last update Sunday 18-Mar-2012
- Dubai Endurance Cup 2009 - on Saturday 17 January 2009
- Dubai Endurance Cup 2008 - discussion topic with more details of the event - full name of race is HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Endurance Cup 2008
- Horseriding in UAE
- Meydan - another horse racing venue
- www.dubaiendurancecity.com - was the Dubai International Endurance City website. Is spam when last checked (March 2012), official DIEC website not supplied or found. See Dubai Equestrian Club website for more information - www.dubaiequestrianclub.ae.
- www.fei.org - website for Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) - Princess Haya of Dubai is the President
- [Disabled] Submit URL.