Mall of the World in Dubai
Mall of the World in Dubai (MOTW, MOW), a planned shopping, entertainment, and mixed use area in the Al Sufouh district of Dubai, expected to be the largest shopping mall in the world when it opens. Announced in July 2014. Planned as the largest indoor or covered temperature-controlled "city" in the world. Project timeline details and opening date not given, although later comments by the Dubai Holding CEO indicated the development would take 10 years to complete.
Not the same as the Mall of the World announced in Nov 2012 as part of the Mohammed Bin Rashid City project.
||The Dubai Mall
||Deira Islands Mall
||8m sq ft
||6.5m sq ft
||12m sq ft
||6.7m sq ft
||3.8m sq ft
- Shopping mall area. Total MOTW Dubai project area 48m sq ft (or possibly 80m sq ft according to some reports).
- Gross Leasable Area (GLA).
Mall of the World announcement 05 July 2014
MOTW is not just a shopping mall, it will include theme park, retail shopping areas, hotels, and other tourist facilities. Announcement said it would be the world's first temperature-controlled city with promenades and walkways covered in the summer.
- Total area of development 48 million square feet, includes the new Dubai Cultural District with theatres, a dedicated zone for medical tourists, an indoor/outdoor theme park, shopping mall with total area of 8 million sq feet, promenades with restaurants and cafes, hotels and other tourist accommodation.
- Timeline, construction start date, planned opening date, not provided but announcement implied it would be ready before the Dubai World Expo in 2020. Update 07 Jul 2014 ... or possibly by 2025 but that's a guess, not a planned date.
- Largest indoor theme park in the world (when the lid is closed), covered by a glass dome which would be open in winter and closed in summer to keep out the heat. Some reports got the mall and theme park mixed up, saying the mall would be covered by a glass dome (it's not, the theme park is).
- 100 hotels and serviced apartment buildings planned with a total of 20,000 rooms. Shopping mall connected directly to 25 hotels, other 75 hotels connected by airconditioned walkways.
- Retail district with 7km of street level shopping outlets.
- Annual visitor numbers estimated at 180 million.
- Car parking for 50,000 vehicles at ground level.
- Celebration Walk - walkway between cultural district and shopping mall, modelled on La Ramblas in Barcelona.
- Tram network throughout the development.
- Wellness Zone - medical and healthcare district, area 3 million sq feet.
- Project cost estimated at AED 25 billion (US$6.8bn) according to Dubai Holding CEO, Ahmad Bin Byat (Reuters, 07 Jul 2014, "Dubai Holding chief says $6.8bn needed to build new mega-mall", article link not found on reuters.com).
- Timeline approximately 10 years from start to completion, planned start date not reported (Reuters, 07 Jul 2014).
Mall of the World districts and facilities
- Dubai Cultural District - with theater area to compete with Broadway in New York and the Westend in London, a cinema art school.
- Dubai Event District
- Hospitality District
- Integrated Pedestrian City
- Wellness District - Chelsea Clinic in one supplied image.
Mall of the World location
- Location of MOTW Dubai is on Sheikh Zayed Rd in Al Sufouh district, across from Mall of the Emirates. Area is currently occupied by dusty abandoned cars, the Dubai Police College, and the Dubai Tram depot.
- There was also a "Mall of the World" announced in Nov 2012 as part of the Mohammed Bin Rashid City project, another development in Dubai, but in a different location to the MOTW city project announced in July 2014.
Other Malls of the World references
- Mall of the World in Canada (West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton, Alberta)
- Mall of the World in Cebu, Philippines (SM Seaside City)
- Mall of the World in Guangzhou, China
- Mall of the World in Minnesota, USA (Mall of America)
- *The Mall of the World, Chungking Mansions, Hong Kong
Largest shopping malls in Dubai, the UAE, the world ...
- Mall of Arabia
- *New South China Mall, Dongguan, China - 9.6 million sq feet, mostly unused, 1,500 stores planned?
- The Dubai Mall
- Parent category - Shopping malls in Dubai.
- Child pages - not yet.
- Related pages - Mall of Arabia, Mall of the Emirates, The Dubai Mall.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-lUp9sUFZw - Dubai Holding video of proposed Mall of the World.
- http://www.dubaiholding.com/media-centre/press-releases/2014/407-mohammed-bin-rashid-launches-mall-of-the-world-a-temperature-controlled-pedestrian-city-in-dubai - Dubai Holding MOTW press release 05 July 2014.
- http://www.wam.ae/en/news/emirates/1395267427436.html - press release on WAM website.
- http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article-display-1.asp?xfile=data/government/2012/November/government_November64.xml§ion=government - 24 Nov 2012 announcement of MBR City and Mall of the World, WAM report on KT website (not available on WAM website but still visible in Google cache
- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1565313 - MBR City, topic started 24 Nov 2012.
- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1736950 - MOTW Al Sufouh, topic started 06 Jul 2014.
Last update Sunday 20-Jul-2014. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.