KidZania Dubai Mall
KidZania in the Dubai Mall is a children's entertainment theme park where children can play at being doctors and nurses, gas station attendants, artists, teachers, firemen and women, mechanics, pilots, slaves construction workers, bank tellers, and all the other jobs that kids want to be when they grow up. Children get to drive cars to work, earn money and spend it on petrol and pizza.
- KidZania is a Mexican theme park concept that was first established in Mexico City in 1999.
- President and founder of KidZania is Xavier Lopez Ancona.
Kidzania Dubai opening date and opening hours
- Opening date of Kidzania Sunday 10 January 2010.
- Kidzania officially opened (Kidzania Foundation Day - Wednesday 20 January 2010?) by Shaikha Fatma Bint Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, granddaughter of Sheikh Mohammed, the Ruler of Dubai.
- Opening hours of Kidzania are 1000-2200 (10am-10pm) Sunday-Saturday.
- Emaar press release 07 October 2009 said opening "shortly"
- KidZania location in Dubai Mall is level 2 next to the Sega Republic indoor theme park (where adults can play at being children). For parking, look for building P2 and park on the Reel Dubai cinema level car park (car park level 7).
- Total area of KidZania Dubai is 80,000 sq feet, with life-size (children's life-size) buildings, shops, and roads.
- Children can choose from up to 70 different roles to play, and get to dress up as their chosen occupation.
- Kidzania money system uses KidZos as the official currency.
- Facilities include an airport (Kidzania International Airport), ambulances, bank, cars, central town square, fashion catwalk, fire engines, fire station, hospital, offices, pizza restaurant, race track, radio station, service station, supermarket, theatre, university.
- Jobs and professions include airline stewardess, artist, chef, construction worker (which means in Dubai they can learn the meaning of 'exploitation'), fashion model, firefighter, mechanic, pilot, police officer, race car driver, radio presenter, surgeon, TV cameraman.
- Kidzania Dubai first announced in July 2005 as a $20 million (AED 70m) project, back when the Dubai Mall was expected to open in mid-2007.
- The UAE Ministry of Education and Emaar Retail announced on 02 June 2010 that they'd signed an agreement where the MOE gave official approval for schools to make trips to Kidzania. In other words a trip to Kidzania won't feel like bunking off anymore.
- General Manager (or The Governor) of KidZania Dubai is Will Edwards.
Kidzania companies and organisations
- Abu Dhabi Media - the Media Zone with
The National newspaper, Majid magazine, and Star FM radio
- ACDelco (AC Delco) car repair garage where children can work as mechanics and learn about changing batteries, oil & filters, and brake pads.
- Coca-Cola Bottling Plant - produce and bottle soft drinks
- Chevrolet Car Design and Sales Center - kids can customize their own Camaro
- Dubai Customs - where children can learn how to catch tourists trying to smuggle in contraband. Opened 06 April 2011.
- Emirates Airlines have partnered with Kidzania to operate the Kidzania Airport.
- Emirates Driving School operates a training institute for children to obtain Kidzania driving licences, after which they can rent a car in Kidzania, and drive race cars on the Kidazania track.
- ENOC service station (gas station, petrol station) - Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC) partnered with Emaar Retail to run the service station where kids can be service station attendants.
- Hamdan Bin Mohammed e-University (HBMeU) - announced 12 April 2012, signed up for 3 years at Kidzania. Children can play educational games and end up with a Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree certificate, which sounds much easier than going to the main HBMeU campus.
- HP Creative Studio - design IT equipment
- HSBC, a large international bank with a Middle East division in Dubai and the UAE, has partnered with the developer, Emaar Properties, to provide simulated bank activities and jobs. Unknown whether kids can pretend to be financial advisors and repossess their parents homes if the KidZania financial system crashes.
- Kidzania University is part of the concept where children can obtain a KidZania degree which enables them to earn more money.
- Lacnor Milk Factory - manufacture milk products
- Metropolitan Theatre of KidZania.
- Pronto Café - part of the ENOC Kidzania Service Station.
- TNT Express Logistics Center for parcel and package distribution, open August 2010 (press release 24 August 2010).
- List of organisations and shops involved with Kidzania Dubai includes AC Delco, Baskin Robbins, Britannia, Chevrolet (vehicle assembly - not until late 2010), Coca-Cola (bottling plant), Crest, Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA), DHA, Du Telecom, Dunkin' Donuts, Emaar Education, Emirates Airlines, Emirates Driving Institute, ENOC, General Motors (GM), Hewlett-Packard (HP) (computer assembly and IT lab), HSBC Bank, Jenan, Jotun Paints, Lacnor, McDonald's Dubai, Naffco, Olay, Oral-B, Pantene Pro-V, Pizza Express, Pronto Cafe, Sary Jewellers, Sony, Swatch (clock tower), Swiss Arabian (perfume blending and shop), Waitrose Dubai (supermarket).
How to play at KidZania
- Children enter through Kidzania International Airport complete with check-in desks and X-Ray machines, and operated in partnership with Emirates Airlines.
- On arrival, children get a 50 KidZo cheque which they have to take to the bank (operated by HSBC) to exchange for cash, or an ATM card to use in Kid Zania.
- Kids can then choose to spend money or earn money or both (or neither). When they run out of money, they'll need to find a job.
- Leftover Kidzos can be saved in a bank account, and will even earn interest according to a KidZania press release, which means kids should be able to learn about the difference between marketing and reality in the world of banking.
List of Kidzania jobs and professions (not complete)
- Actor, Actress
- Bakery Clerk
- Biscuit Manufacturer
- Cabin Crew
- Car Sales Person
- Comic Book Artist
- Contact Centre Employee
- Customs Inspector
- Fashion Model
- Hamburger Chef
- House Painter
- Installation Engineer
- Jewellery Designer
- Painter (house)
- Photo Editor
- Pizza Chef
- Police Detective
- Race Car Driver
- Radio Host
- Radio Presenter
Kidzania Dubai admission prices
|Infants (<2 yrs)
- Children under 120 cm height must be accompanied by an adult throughout the theme park.
- Admission fee includes all activities and equipment?
KidZania Dubai contact details
- Tel +971-4-4485222, email email@example.com
- Children aged from 5-12 years old can sign up to be Kidzania Dubai Ambassadors before it opens, meaning they get some free entries and other goodies.
- Selection is by a draw, last date for entry is 31 December 2009
- Rewards include special card, a watch, 12 free entries to Kidzania and also to Dubai Ice Rink, free birthday party at Kidzania, special access to Kidzania Dubai
- Kids also agree by default to be included in promotional material for Kidzania Dubai
- Sign up on the Kidzania Dubai website, or fill in a form at Kidzania Dubai Mall
17 Jun 2013 - Kidzania operates in 13 locations in 10 different countries, newest Kidzania opened in Kuwait, another 12 locations under development. International KidZania (or KidCity / KidZity) locations include:
- Brazil - under development
- Chile - Santiago
- Egypt - Cairo (under development)
- India - under development
- Indonesia - Jakarta
- Japan - Koshien and Tokyo
- Kuwait - opening date 17 Jun 2013, located in The Avenues Mall, Kuwait City, area 7,000 sq m. Activities, shops, corporate partners, and brands include Oil and Gas Laboratory, Oil and Gas Training Facility, Abdul Samad Al Qurashi, Abyat, American University Kuwait, Aquafina, Asnan Tower, Bayt.com, Boots, Burger King, Dar Al Shifa Hospital, Debenhams, DHL, Early Learning Center, Easa Hussain Al-Yousifi & Sons Co., Justice, KAICO – Mobil & Michelin, Mothercare, NBK, Nissan, Pinkberry, Pizza Express, Potbelly, Qatar Airways, Starbucks, The Sultan Center, Vision Express, Wataniya Telecom. Contact details tel +965-22283180, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.kidzania.com.kw. Opening hours: Sunday to Wednesday 0900-2100; Thursday 1000-2300;
Friday, Saturday, public holidays 1000-1600 and 1700-2300.
- Mexico - Cuicuilco, Sante Fe - Mexico City, and Monterrey
- Portugal - Lisbon
- South Korea - Seoul
- UAE - in Dubai Mall, Dubai
- United Kingdom (UK) - under development
Last update Wednesday 19-Jun-2013