Air Arabia Egypt
Air Arabia Egypt is a new budget airline to be based in Egypt, and established as a joint venture between Air Arabia in Sharjah, UAE, and Travco Group, a large Egyptian travel and tourism company.
- Air Arabia in the UAE will have a 40% stake in Air Arabia Egypt, Travco will have 50% ownership, and the other 10% will be privately held.
- Air Arabia Egypt start up capital AED 180 million ($50m) or $20 million rising to $50m (both figures reported).
- First flights for Air Arabia Egypt expected by March 2010.
- Egyptian hub location not released initially but several Egyptian airports might be used as departure points. The Air Arabia CEO, Adel Ali, said "Egypt has a number of international airports and we aim to operate from as many as we can" at the time the new JV was announced.
- According to a 13 September 2009 report by Reuters, the Travco CEO and Chairman, Hamed El Chiaty, said Air Arabia Egypt would apply for Egyptian government approval to use airports at Alexandria, Cairo, Hurghada, Luxor, and Sharm El Sheikh.
Air Arabia Egypt Air Operator Certificate (AOC)
- Air Arabia Egypt received its Air Operators Certificate (AOC) from the Egyptian Civil Aviation Authority (ECAA) according to a press release 22 May 2010.
- Travco Group announced in an 05 July 2010 press release that Air Arabia Egypt received an AOC from the ECAA. Unknown if Air Arabia now have two AOCs, or Travco were just repeating the announcement from May 2010.
- Air Arabia will start commercial flights from beginning of June 2010 to
Khartoum and Kuwait, operating out of
Burj Al Arab International Airport (Borg El Arab Aiport, airport code HBE) in Alexandria.
Air Arabia Egypt destinations
- Abu Dhabi, UAE from Alexandria Borg El Arab International Airport (HBE) to Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) - first flight 12 July 2010, 4x weekly, increased to daily from 27 September 2010 (press release).
- Depart Abu Dhabi 0655 Mo,We,Fr,Sa - arrive Alexandria 0940. Depart Alexandria 0130 (next day?) - arrive Abu Dhabi 0615.
- Depart Abu Dhabi 2055 Tu,Th,Sa - arrive Alexandria 2340. Depart Alexandria 1530 (next day?) - arrive Abu Dhabi 2015.
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays depart HBE at 22:00, arrive AUH at 02:40 the following day. Return flights depart AUH at 03:20, arrive HBE at 06:20 on Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays, Mondays. (press release 03 July 2010).
- Amman, Jordan from Alexandria - first flight 18 June 2010, 4x weekly. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday depart Alexandria at 12:50, arrive Amman at 14:20. Return flights depart Amman at 15:00, arrive Alexandria at 16:35.
- Beirut, Lebanon from Alexandria - start date of flights is 01 July 2010, 4x weekly on Tu, Th, Sa, Su between Burj Al Arab International Airport, Alexandria and
Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport, Lebanon. Flight times 1640 depart HBE - 1800 arrive BEY, 1840 depart BEY - 2000 arrive HBE.
- Istanbul, Turkey - first flight 24 June 2011, twice weekly on Fridays and Sundays. Depart Alexandria 17:00, arrive Istanbul Sabiha International Airport 19:55. Return flight departs Istanbul 21:05, arrives Alexandria 22:05.
- Khartoum, Sudan
- Air Arabia Egypt destinations will be mostly in the MENA (Middle East North Africa) region and Europe.
Air Arabia Egypt operations (based on Travco CEO comments 13 September 2009)
- Air Arabia will be in charge of flight operations, catering, maintenance, and engineering
- Travco will be involved with marketing and communications with the Egyptian government
- Air Arabia Egypt tickets will be available through the Travco network of tour operators and travel agencies
- Air Arabia Egypt aircraft to be leased from Air Arabia in the UAE, and/or other airlines/aircraft suppliers
Air Arabia Egypt timeline and news
- 27 June 2010 - Air Arabia Egypt announces increased frequency of flights on the Alexandria-Abu Dhabi route, from 4x weekly to daily flights.
- 01 June 2010 - first flight takes off from
Burj Al Arab International Airport in Alexandria
for Khartoum (Sudan). Next destinations to be added include Amman (Jordan), Beirut (Lebanon), Kuwait (press release 01 June 2010).
- 22 May 2010 - Air Arabia Egypt AOC awarded. First flights scheduled for
Khartoum and Kuwait in June 2010.
- March 2010 - first Air Arabia Egypt flights planned ... delayed until June 2010
- 09 September 2009 - Air Arabia announces they will establish a third hub in Egypt in a partnership with Travco Group in Egypt.
Travco Group International Holding
- Chairman and CEO of Travco Group is Hamed El Chiaty
- Subsidiary companies include
- Travco Travel
- Jaz Hotels, Iberotel, Sol Y Mar Hotels & Resorts, Steigenberger Hotels & Resorts, InterCity Hotels
- Travcotels Nile Cruises
- Travco Properties real estate - development projects include Almaza Bay on the north coast of Egypt, and Madinat Makadi on the Red Sea
- Travco Transport, and Prestige Cars transportation companies
Last update Saturday 25-Jun-2011