Fujairah International Airport
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Al Fujairah International Airport (FIA) - airport code FJR
Al Fujairah International Airport (airport code FJR) flight information and guide. FIA/FJR is a small airport in the emirate of Fujairah with a limited number of flight operations. Most visitors and residents usually fly in and out of Dubai or Sharjah airports, and maybe Abu Dhabi airport. Travel time from Fujairah to Dubai or Sharjah airports is about 1.5-2 hours by road (from Dubai should be reduced to about 1 hr after new highway opens in late 2011).
Fujairah International Airport (Fujeirah - Fujairah Airport) (FIA)
- Fujairah Airport location
- Opening date 29 October 1987
- One runway, 3,750 m long, 45 m wide, conforms to LCN-100 ICAO standard. Category 1 ILS DVOR/ DME and NDB navigation instruments for navigation.
- Passenger capacity - about 2 million per year (not confirmed)?
- Passenger terminal building (open 24 hours) facilities and services include duty free shops (in both departure and arrival areas), restaurants, first class and VIP lounges
- Executive Business Jet Terminal - in operation from mid 2010? Delayed to 2011?
- Other facilities include a cargo terminal, engineering and maintenance support building, light aircraft hangar, 24 hour refueling services by ADNOC, EPPCO, and EMARAT.
- Aerodrome licence awarded by UAE GCAA mid 2009 (reported 06 July 2009). Airport was previously operating under a temporary licencing program.
- Fujairah Airport occasionally used for flights diverted from Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, RAK due to fog causing visibility problems. Fujairah's location on the east coast means fog is much less likely than in the other emirates.
Fujairah Airport traffic growth facts, figures, statistics
|Year||Flights||Change||Passengers||Change||Freight cargo volume||Change|
- 08 June 2011 - Passenger capacity an astonishing 105 million according to an Arabian Business report (Dubai Airport with 3 terminals has about half that capacity of about 60 million passengers per year): Today, FIA caters for just 100,000 passengers per year, despite having a capacity of 105 million. Maybe it was a typo.
- 02 May 2010 - Gulf News reported FIA currently handles only chartered passengers, with an annual capacity of two million. Cargo makes up 90 per cent of the flights, of the total 60 flights per day.
Flights to and from Fujairah Airport (FJR)
FIA operates mostly cargo flights with a handful of charter flights - Emirates Business 24-7 reported on 16 November 2009 that The Fujairah International Airport currently handles 60 flights per day, with cargo accounting for 90 per cent of the total. Charter flights originating mostly from Europe and Russia contribute 10 per cent as the airport awaits other carriers to restart services from its airport. List below is not complete yet.
- Al Hajjar Airlines - semi-budget airline based out of FJR with flights expected to start in 2012
- Jet Airways (India) - oddly, some sources seem to think there are Jet Airways flights from Fujairah to New Delhi in India but we can't find any. They do fly from Dubai and Sharjah airports though.
- Kang Pacific - budget airline based out of Fujairah Airport but operated one flight only in 2008 before operations ceased. Airline launched 06 June 2008 with planned flights to Cochin, Colombo, Dhaka, Manila.
- TransGlobal Airways - Dhaka, Manila (charter flights) in association with Kang Pacific? Flights not in operation.
- 3 new airlines were to be operating from Fujairah Airport from end of 2009 according to a Khaleej Times report 23 May 2009. The FIA General Manager, Dr Khaled Almazroui, reportedly said "The discussion is underway with three airlines to uplift passengers from the airport," but airline names were not given. No further information found or supplied.
Destinations include (not complete, speculative, rumoured):
- Abu Dhabi, UAE - Air feeder service from Fujairah to Abu Dhabi under consideration, possibly operated by a British carrier (Emirates Business report 16 November 2009).
- Cochin, India - agreement signed on 08 December 2010 to provide passenger and cargo services (Gulf News 09 Dec 2010).
- Hurghada (?)
- Sharm El Sheikh (?)
Fujairah Airport expansion and growth
- 21 Nov 2013 (Gulf News) - a story about additional airlines possibly using Fujairah Airport (FIA) saying the airport is looking at over-flight connections to Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Qatar in a move to attract more tourists from the GCC countries, according to Charles Hajdu, the airport’s general manager. But no further information provided about which airlines might be considering using FIA. The manager was quoted as saying about DXB that "With the runway closure next year, they are looking to potentially move their operations here," which sounds curious given that the new Al Maktoum Airport in Jebel Ali is closer to Dubai and seems to be a more likely candidate for rerouted flights.
- 08 June 2011 - news reports of expansion plans for Fujairah Airport said and additional runway (length 3,000m), passenger and cargo terminal, and a new control tower were underway with completion expected by 2025.
- 09 December 2010 - Gulf News reported that the new fixed based operations (FBO) building had just been completed, private charter and cargo operations might start January 2011, and the Europe Aviation Fujairah Maintenance Centre would be completed by June 2011.
- 02 May 2010 (Gulf News) - Fujairah Airport plans to establish itself as the UAE's aircraft-dismantling center, and is developing long-term aircraft parking for up to 50 planes. Infrastructure development worth AED 70m (or more - figure might just be for the maintenance center) is planned including a new runway, the Europe Aviation Fujairah Maintenance Centre, other maintenance facilities, new airline office building (completion scheduled for mid-2011), General Aviation Centre including an Aviation Academy (Gulf News report).
- 22 November 2009 (Emirates Business) - FIA General Manager, Dr Khaled Almazroui, reportedly said "We are opening a terminal for executive business jets equipped with five-star facilities and a dedicated aircraft parking by mid next year,"
- 04 September 2005 - new airport expected to open in 2006. Khaleej Times reported that Sheikh Saeed Al Sharqi, chairman of the Fujairah Tourism Bureau, said "We are looking forward for the new airport to be completed in 2006 and this will increase in traffic with direct chartered flights from Sharm El Sheikh and Hurghada will immediately put Fujairah on the tourist map."
- 14 February 2004 (Gulf News) - terminal expansion plans 40% complete. When finished there will be more space, shops, doors, and check-in counters. Fujairah Airport General Manager, Khaled Al Mazroui, reportedly said "By the end of 2004, Fujairah International Airport would have a new look, bigger space, variable facilities and unique in its architectural design aiming to be one of the most attractive airports in the region in terms of ensuring more comfort and efficiency for passengers,"
Fujairah Airport history and timeline
- 03 June 2011 - news reports said FIA announced at the Dubai Airport Show the selection of ALES to supply the Air Traffic Control System, and ERA for the Wide Area Multilateration radar.
- 18 April 2011 - Khaleej Times reported that Fujairah International Airport has established a new executive terminal and looking to achieve around 10 per cent share of the UAE business jet market, General Manager Dr Khaled Al Mazroui said.
- 06 June 2008 (Philippine Star) - Kang Pacific/Transglobal Airways passenger flights launched from Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) (Clark) in the Philippines to Fujairah. Charter flights to operate twice weekly (note that only one flight operated then operations ceased apparently).
- 08 July 2001 (Gulf News) - new cargo service announced - two 25 tonne semi-trailers acquired to transport cargo throughout the UAE from FIA.
- 29 October 1987 - Fujairah Airport opens.
List of Fujairah Airport crashes, accidents, incidents - history and timeline
- 02 July 2008, flight EK-76400 - an Ilyushin Il-76TD cargo flight operated by Click Airways International routed from Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan to FJR had an engine failure which caused another engine failure and damage to the plane. The flight was diverted to Zahedan in Iran. No fatalities. Incident reported in Aviation Safety Network database, however, according to Airliners.net, the flight was routed from Bagram to Sharjah, not Fujairah.
- No incidents found in the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) database (but it only appears to have information back to 2008 available).
Fujairah Airport awards
- Fujairah International Airport won the 13th International Transport Award for Airport Services, awarded by the Trade Leaders Club in Madrid (on 05 October 2010). Dr Khaled Al Mazrouei, General Manager of Fujairah International Airport also won the Gold Medal Award for excellence in recognition of his leadership and role in the development of airport services to airlines and cargo industry. The Trade Leaders Club is an international association of businessmen fostering trade and exchange, based in Madrid.
Fujairah Airport key personnel
- General Manager of Fujairah International Airport - Dr Khaled Al Mazrouei (last checked October 2010). General Manager in 2013 reported as Charles Hajdu (Gulf News 21 Nov 2013).
- Chairman of the Department of Civil Aviation in Fujairah - Mohammed Abdullah Al Salami (last checked October 2010).
Fujairah Airport contact number and details
- Postal address - Fujairah International Airport, Department of Civil Aviation, Government of Fujairah, PO Box 977, Fujairah, United Arab Emirates.
- Telephone +971-9-2226222, fax +971-9-2223149, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last update Friday 22-Nov-2013. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- Visa Fujairah - start here for UAE visa information
|UAE Airlines||Air Arabia | Air Arabia flights | Al Hajjar Aviation | Eastern Express | Emirates Airlines | EK flights | Etihad Airways | Fly Dubai | FlyDubai schedule | Kang Pacific| RAK Airways | Rotana Jet | UAE airlines ||
|UAE Airports||AUH (Abu Dhabi) | AAN (Al Ain) | Ajman airport (planned) | DXB (Dubai) | DXB flights | FJR (Fujairah) | DWC (Al Maktoum) | RKT (Ras Al Khaimah) | SHJ (Sharjah)|
|UAE travel information||Budget flights Dubai | Flight deals to Dubai | Budget hotels Dubai | Car rental Dubai | Hotels in Dubai | Budget holidays Dubai | Egate Dubai | Tourist guide Dubai | Visit visa Dubai|
- www.fujairah-airport.com - Fujairah International Airport official website, in Arabic and English. No flight information when last checked (10 July 2011).
- [Disabled] Submit URL.