Ajman International Airport
Ajman International Airport
Construction of Ajman International Airport was originally expected to start in March 2004 with first flights in 2006. Obviously that didn't happen. Construction of the airport was then expected to start in mid-2008 with completion by 2011. That didn't happen either. As of 2012, nothing started. In February 2013 there was a report that plans for the new airport were being finalised but a timeframe was not given. In the meantime instead of sitting on your suitcases in the middle of the desert waiting for the new airport to open, the nearest international airport to Ajman is Sharjah Airport (SHJ). Dubai Airport (DXB) is a bit further.
- The Ajman Airport is to be located in the Al Manama area of the emirate.
- The original plans in 2003 indicated there would be a monorail link to the coast where hotels and beaches would await bright-eyed travellers and gratefully receive their money. Which is a long monorail (60km at least) if airport is in the Al Manama area. Original plans might have had the airport located closer to Ajman city.
- Ajman International Airport code - ICAO 4 letter code not assigned yet? IATA 3 letter code is QAJ (ref UNECE > UN-LOCODE), not AJM?
Ajman Airport February 2013 information
- Emirates 24-7 reported 03 Feb 2013 that government officials were meeting to finalise the airport plans, source or name not provided.
- Project cost AED 1.3 billion (an earlier figure was reported as AED 12 billion), airport to be built by Spanish companies (names not supplied). Khaleej Times reported a project cost of AED 12.7 billion on 05 Feb 2013.
- Location of airport site in Al Manamah area, an enclave of Ajman about 60 km inland, bordered by Sharjah and Fujairah emirates.
Ajman Airport 2008 information
- Passenger capacity 1 million per year, cargo capacity 400,000 tonnes per year.
Ajman Airport December 2007 information
- Airport construction would be completed in 2 phases by a European consortium, and will have passenger, cargo, commercial and residential areas.
- Ajman airport operations will 35% for passenger traffic and 65% for cargo.
- Total cost is estimated at AED 12 billion, and total area of the project will be 6 million sq meters (about 60m sq feet).
- Ajman expects most passenger traffic to come from low cost carriers.
Ajman Airport construction schedule and timeline
Phase I of the development will include the main airport arrival and departure terminals, a 4000 meter runway, aircraft maintenance facilities, an aviation school, a free trade zone, and 90 towers in a commercial area. Completion of phase I is expected by end 2009 or early 2010, and phase II by 2011.
- 2013 Feb - plans being finalized for new airport, timeframe not given.
- 2012 - nothing happening, no airport, no new news about a new plan.
- 2011 - Phase II completion planned.
- 2009-2010 - Phase I completion planned.
- 2008 - second planned construction start date.
- 2006 - first flights planned.
- 2004 Mar - first planned construction start date.
Ajman Airport passenger numbers and growth
- Based on a feasibility study by ICTS Europe and Booz Allen Hamilton, passenger numbers are forecast to be 250,000 in the second year of operations from 20-25 flights per week, rising to 1 million by the fourth year of operations from almost 100 flights per week.
- Ajman Airport Authority - not yet established?
- Ajman Airport construction
- Ajman Airport Free Zone - no information provided but a FZ might be planned as part of the project.
- Ajman International Airport jobs, vacancies, careers - none yet, except in planning and construction. Don't hold your breath, it might be a few years before it becomes operational. Unlikely before 2015, maybe 2018-2020 is possible (assuming it really does get built).
- Ajman Airport website - not available. Nothing at www.ajmanairport.com (registered in 2009) or www.ajmanairport.ae (reserved by UAE domain registration authority, .aeDA).
Last update Tuesday 04-Mar-2014. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- Ajman - introduction guide and information
|UAE Airlines||Air Arabia | Air Arabia flights | Al Hajjar Aviation | Eastern Express | Emirates Airlines | EK flights | Etihad Airways | Fly Dubai | FlyDubai schedule | Kang Pacific| RAK Airways | Rotana Jet | UAE airlines ||
|UAE Airports||AUH (Abu Dhabi) | AAN (Al Ain) | Ajman airport (planned) | DXB (Dubai) | DXB flights | FJR (Fujairah) | DWC (Al Maktoum) | RKT (Ras Al Khaimah) | SHJ (Sharjah)|
|UAE travel information||Budget flights Dubai | Flight deals to Dubai | Budget hotels Dubai | Car rental Dubai | Hotels in Dubai | Budget holidays Dubai | Egate Dubai | Tourist guide Dubai | Visit visa Dubai|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.