Renting a Car in Dubai - Dubai Car Rentals
As of January 2007, car renters
need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP, often referred to
as an international driving license)
in addition to their home country license to be allowed to rent a car.
IDP and country driving license must be from the same country. Previously,
citizens of some countries only needed their home country license.
See the International driving
license in Dubai page.
If you don't have your IDP, you might still be
able to obtain a temporary
Dubai driving license.
Monthly car rentals for a relatively new, good condition small car are
around 1500 dhs per month. It's possible to save a couple of hundred
that with smaller less well-known companies but check car carefully -
likely to be older and shabbier. Many expats new to Dubai will rent a
car for the first month or more. It can be a sensible choice (and may
be the only choice until you get your residence visa and Dubai driving
licence) while you familiarise yourself with the road network and driving
Daily car rentals will be more like 70-100 dhs per day for a small car
(usually you can negotiate something less than the quoted price). Check
whether that includes unlimited mileage, off-road driving (for 4wd),
full insurance including liability insurance, CDW, other drivers, and
so on - all the usual stuff. Remember that in Dubai, if someone dies
in an accident that you're involved in, you will be liable for 'blood
money' of AED 150,000-200,000 dhs if it's decided that you're at fault.
You should be insured for that (at least with the more reputable car
agencies). If you drink (alcohol limit is zero) and drive, and have
an accident, you will not be insured. See the driving
in Dubai page for
more about being on the road.
- Unlimited mileage update: since 2008 or 2009, rental car companies in UAE have been introducing mileage limits or caps, most commonly on monthly and longer term rentals since they are more likely to be used by residents for commuting, especially between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. For tourists and visitors, it should still be possible to find an unlimited mileage short term rental but make sure you double check before signing up.
Specials and Promotions for car rental in Dubai
- Hertz June 2007 offer: Toyota Yaris 1342 dhs/month (min 36 months
lease), Group A cars 92 dhs/day (min 7 days) or 1499 dhs/month. Tel
in UAE 800-HERTZ (43789). www.hertz.ae.
- Hertz Nov 2007 offer: 7 Days newspaper (www.7days.ae) in November
2006 were promoting special weekend rates with Hertz, claiming up to
70% off normal rates. You need to login to their site on Thursdays to
see what's available.
Car Rental Agencies in Dubai and the UAE
This is not a complete list
of all companies, only the larger, more well-known companies.
Most should have a 24 hr branch at Dubai International Airport.
- Alamo Rent A Car - available through National Car Rental offices at Dubai International Airport and Garhoud in Dubai, and Najda Street and Abu Dhabi International Airport in Abu Dhabi. Website www.alamo-me.com, tel 800-25266 (toll-free in UAE) (press release 23 June 2010).
- Autolease rental cars - tel +971-4-2826565, fax +971-4-2825656, PO
- Avis rent a car - tel +971-4-2957121, fax +971-4-2956807, PO
- Budget car rentals - tel +971-4-2823030, fax +971-4-2823574, PO
- Diamondlease Car Rental - see below for more information...
- Discount Rental Cars
- Dollar rental cars - tel +971-4-2711711, fax +971-4-2716716, PO
- Eurodollar rent a car - tel +971-4-2666923, fax +971-4-2695525,
PO Box 10990.
- Europcar car hire - tel +971-4-3394433, fax +971-4-3394403, PO
- Fast rent a car (updated 13 March 2011) - tel +971-4-3387171, fax +971-4-3388771 (previous tel +971-4-3328988, fax +971-4-3328742), PO
Box 32011, Dubai, website
- Hertz rental cars - tel +971-4-2824422, fax
+971-4-2824844, PO Box 7976.
- National Car Rental see below for more information...
- SAPO car rental - sports cars, luxury cars and limousines, tel +971-4-2822333,
fax +971-4-2822330, PO Box 60901.
- Sixt rent a car - tel +971-4-2200777, fax +971-4-2200200, PO
- Thrifty car rentals - tel +971-4-3370743, fax +971-4-3345364, PO
- United Car Rentals - see below for more information...
Budget Rent-a-Car UAE
- Located in
Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Sharjah.
- New office at '8 Boulevard Walk' tower in the Downtown Burj Dubai (or Burj Khalifa) area opened mid-2010?
- New offices opening by end 2010 in
Dubai Marina and Dubai Investments Park.
- Total number of Budget offices in UAE is
17 branches with a fleet of 6,000+ vehicles as of end 2010.
- Budget Rent-a-Car master franchise holder in UAE is Liberty Investment Company (LIC)
- Senior General Manager of Budget Rent-a-Car UAE is Salim Damji.
- Website www.budget-uae.com. Another domain seen in some sources is www.budget-middle-east.com but appears to be under construction or suspended when last checked 12 October 2010.
Budget Car Rental Dubai and UAE contact details
- Reservation enquiries tel 800-2722 (toll-free in UAE) or +971-4-2822727 from 0800-1800 Saturday to Thursday. Fax +971-4-2825616, email email@example.com.
- Customer Services for Budget rental car customers +971-4-2822727 from 0800-1800 Saturday to Thursday. Fax +971-4-2825616, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diamondlease Car Rental
- Special offers advertised valid to 31 August 2006, about 1200-1400
dhs per month for a small car (minimum 2 months rental). Larger cars
- Diamond Lease Car Rental is a fairly large well-known operation,
head office tel +971-4-3434330.
- DiamondLease Car Rental Airport Branch (24 hrs) tel +971-4-2200325.
- Other Dubai offices for Diamond Lease are in Sheikh Zayed Rd tel
+971-4-3394500, Metropolitan Hotel (SZ Rd) +971-4-3434022, Knowledge
Village tel +971-4-3903794,
Grand tel +971-4-3995049, Jebel Ali +971-4-8814645, Dubai Investment
Park tel +971-4-8852111.
- Abu Dhabi offices for DiamondLease rent a car
are Khalifa Street tel +971-2-6222028, Abu Dhabi Airport tel +971-2-5758117,
- Fujairah office for Diamond Lease car rent is tel +971-9-2232774.
- Diamondlease website is www.diamondlease.com, email is email@example.com,
PO Box 32689, Dubai, UAE.
- 24 hour emergency service number is +971-4-8852211.
National Car Rental
- Special summer offer advertised Aug 2006 from 399 dhs per week (Ford
Focus) to 999 dhs p/w (Ford Expedition) or about 1600-4000 dhs per
till 31 Aug 2006.
- Main office (in Abu Dhabi? see below.
- Garhoud Atrium Building tel +971-4-2832020, Al Quoz Service Center
tel +971-4-3403049, Al Tayer Motors Complex (SZ Rd) tel +971-4-3037047,
Dubai Intercontinental tel =971-4-2239212, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dubai International Airport (24 hrs?) tel +971-4-2245056.
- Abu Dhabi main office Al Falah St tel +971-2-6425115, fax +971-2-6415898,
Abu Dhabi International Airport +971-2-5758355, Premier Motors Showroom
- Contact details given earlier tel+971-4-3381010, fax +971-4-3389090,
PO Box 21971 (tel numbers not same as GN ad 23 Aug 2006) not correct?
United Car Rentals
- Established 1973, well known large local UAE car rental company with
quite good rates. Part of Wafi Transport LLC.
- Head office tel +971-4-2857777, fax +971-4-2861000, email email@example.com.
- Dubai International Airport office (24 hours) tel +971-4-2244666,
fax +971-4-2244644, mobile +971-50-4552734.
- Service Center (24 hours) tel +971-4-2858284, fax +971-4-2858774.
- Other offices at Al Barsha, Al Murooj, Jebel Ali, Rotana, Abu Dhabi.
- Special offers eg summer 2006 rates with 30% discount. You can probably
negotiate something anyway by going to one of the offices other than
the airport one.