Ramadan 2015 Dubai, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Ramadan 2015 dates and information for Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, UAE. List of activities, special offers for Iftar and Suhoor meals, places open for daytime dine-in and drinking in the UAE. See the Ramadan etiquette page for information on respectful behaviour, history, and more.
Send updates about working hours, operating hours, and information about any special Ramadan offers to update at dubaifaqs dot com.
Ramadan dates 2015
||Imsak Times² (Dubai)
||Fajr Times² (Dubai)
||18 June 2015
||17 July 2015
||29 June 2014
||27 July 2014
- Estimated dates in italics until confirmed by moon sighting committee in the UAE.
- Fajr/Imsak and Iftar/Magreb times are for Dubai. Add 4 or 5 minutes for Abu Dhabi, subtract 4 minutes for RAK, subtract 4 or 6 mins for Fujairah. Some variation in times seen in different sources (Gulf News, Khaleej Times, The National, islamicfinder.org, etc). UAE newspapers usually publish all prayer times (Fajr, Dhuhur, Asr, Magrib/Maghrib, Isha).
- 16 Jun 2015 (WAM): The UAE moonsighting committee announced Thursday 18 June 2015 will be the first day of Ramadan, and Wednesday will be the 30th day of Sha’aban.
Eid Al Fitr 2015 dates
UAE Moon Sighting Committee 2015
- Established a week or so before the expected start of Ramadan.
Ramadan guidelines and etiquette for non-Muslims
See UAE Ramadan guidelines for a more detailed list of dos and donts, but short summary is: do not eat (or chew gum), drink, or smoke during the day during Ramadan anywhere in public in the UAE. This includes inside your car, at the beach, at shopping malls etc. You should be more conservative with your dress sense when in public by making sure your shoulders and legs are covered. Headscarves for women are not necessary.
Workers and labourers in UAE during Ramadan
In 2010, construction workers, labourers, and others working outside during the day in the summer months were permitted to break their fast during the day if conditions made it too difficult for them to continue fasting, according to a Fatwa on the www.awqaf.ae website dated 05 August 2010. Unknown if this still applies in later years. See UAE workers and Ramadan for more details.
Iftar cannons in UAE - 2011 information, should be similar for 2015
Locations of cannons being fired to signal Iftar (not confirmed for 2015 yet). Cannons are operated by the local police. Free meals to spectators still being offered in Sharjah locations handed out by Sharjah Police (Gulf News 26 July 2011)?
- Dubai - Deira, Karama, Safa Park Gate 4 (Jumeirah). Also Burj Khalifa-Downtown Dubai area (in the triangle park opposite side of Dubai Fountains to the Dubai Mall), new location for 2013.
- East Coast (Sharjah emirate): Al Dhaid - police station, Dibba Al Hosn - Sheikh Rashid Bin Ahmed Al Qasimi Mosque, Kalba - Tarif Mosque, Khor Fakkan Corniche - Al Bukhari Mosque.
- Sharjah: Al Badiah - Mussalah, Al Buheira Corniche - Al Noor Mosque, Al Falaj - Cultural Palace, Al Jarina - Al Sarri Mosque, Al Khan - Al Huda Mosque, Al Murqab - Bara Bin Azib Mosque, Talaa Mosque.
Ramadan timings and opening hours Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, UAE 2015
To be updated. See UAE Ramadan hours 2013 for previous information which is probably similar in 2015.
Date of information in brackets, if not 2015 check with organisation for confirmation. Opening hours not supplied or confirmed for 2015 unless noted.
- Banks in Dubai (and UAE).
- *Bus stations in Dubai operated by the RTA.
- Directorate of Residency and Expatriate Affairs offices (Immigration or Naturalisation and Residency Departments).
- DNRD Dubai (Dubai Immigration Department).
- *Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI).
- *Dubai Customs.
- Dubai Ferry.
- *Dubai Health Centers (UAE government Ministry of Health Dubai Medical District).
- Dubai International Airport - operates as normal 24 hours per day after passport control and customs, food and drink (including alcohol) available daytime during Ramadan.
- Dubai Metro operating hours - usually no change from normal operating hours, but train frequency during the day reduced.
- Dubai Municipality working hours 0900-1400, Sun to Thu (2012).
- Federal government ministries working hours for employees 0900-1400 Sunday to Thursday (2012).
- *Fujairah Medical District (goverment centers).
- Ministry of Labour (UAE MOL) working hours 0900-1730 (2012).
- Parking in Dubai - payment hours for public parking in RTA Dubai Municipality areas (free parking outside the times stated) (2013):
- Fish Market Deira - 0800-1300 and 1600-2300. Times apply to "All Week Days", not clear if that means 7 days per week or Sun-Thu only.
- TECOM - Dubai Media City, Dubai Internet City, Dubai Knowledge Village - 0800-1800 Sat-Thu, free parking on Fridays.
- Multi-level parking garages - 24 hrs, 7 days per week.
- All other areas - 0800-1300 and 1900-2400 Sat-Thu, free parking on Fridays.
- Parks in Dubai (public parks operated by the Dubai Municipality) (2012):
- Al Mamzar Park open from 0800-2300
- Creek Park open from 0900-2300
- Jumeirah Beach Park open 0700-2000
- Mushrif Park open 1100-2200
- Residential and Pond Parks from 0800-1400
- Safa Park open from 1100-2300
- Zabeel Park open 1100-2300
- Post offices in the UAE (2012) - open 0900-1400 Sat-Thu, closed Fridays. Some of the main or larger post offices open 0900-1700 but none open in evenings according to WAM news release 19 Jul 2012 (in previous years some post offices open 2200-2400). Dubai Airport post office open 24 hrs 7 days per week (after passport control for departures, in terminal 1).
- Public transport - see Dubai Metro, Water Buses and Water Taxis. Dubai Taxis operate 24 hours 7 days so no change during Ramadan, although it might be difficult to find a taxi around Iftar time since many or most taxi drivers are Muslim, and will be breaking their fast.
- *Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) Medical District (government health centers and clinics).
- RTA Dubai Customer Service Centers (all are closed Fridays) (2013):
- Al Barsha, Deira, Karama, Umm Ramool - 0900-1400 Sun-Thu.
- Al Manara, Al Twar - 0900-1800 Sun-Thu.
- Al Awir (Al Aweer) - 0900-1400 and 2000-2400 Sun-Thu.
- Sharjah Medical Centers and Health Clinics (government).
- Shopping malls in UAE - most will operate extended hours in the evenings with closing times between 2200 and 0100, or possibly 0200. Later closings more likely for larger malls and/or on Thursday-Saturday nights. Opening times are unlikely to be different. Malls will usually be very quiet during the day which is great if you don't like crowds.
- Sharjah Museums mostly open 0900-1400. Some open 0930-1330 instead. Some open 2100-2300 in addition to morning hours.
- Theme parks in UAE - check with individual theme parks. Opening hours might vary and/or ride availability might be reduced. On the plus side, they will usually be less busy during the day (but busier in the evenings).
- UAE federal government offices (2009) 0900-1400 Sunday-Thursday.
- *Umm Al Quwain (UAQ) Medical District (government facilities).
- Vehicle licencing and registration centers in Dubai (RTA) (2013) - 0900-1500 and 2100-2400, Sat-Thu. Applies to Wasel Vehicle Testing, ENOC Tasjeel, Tamam Al Kindi Vehicle Testing, Mumayaz Vehicle Testing, Shamil Vehicle Testing, Cars and Al Shirawi.
- Water Bus Dubai (2013) 0700-2400. Times apply to "All Week Days", presumably means 7 days per week, not Sun-Thu only.
- Water Taxi Dubai (2013) 1000-2400. Times apply to "All Week Days", presumably means 7 days per week, not Sun-Thu only.
[Update] Restaurants and cafes daytime opening hours for Ramadan 2015
Iftar and Suhoor meals and buffets, hotel deals, events during Ramadan 2015 in the UAE
- Date of last update in brackets.
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque - free Iftar meal. Non-Muslims can attend (but dress conservatively)? Tel 800-555 (2011).
- Al Ain Wildlife Park & Resort (Al Ain Zoo) - 2100-0200 (9pm to 2am), last entry tickets sold at 0100 (2010).
To be updated as and when information is supplied.
- Ramadan tents, buffets, etc.
- Competitions, events, exhibitions, special offers.
Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)