Ramadan in Dubai 2014
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Ramadan 2014 Dubai, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Ramadan 2014 dates and information for Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, UAE. List of activities, special offers for Iftar and Suhoor meals, places open for daytime dine-in and drinking in the UAE. See the Ramadan etiquette page for information on respectful behaviour, history, and more.
Send updates about working hours, operating hours, and information about any special Ramadan offers to update at dubaifaqs dot com.
Ramadan dates 2014
|Year||Start Date¹||End Date¹||Imsak Times² (Dubai)||Fajr Times² (Dubai)||Magrib/Iftar Times²|
|01 Ramadan||29 Ramadan||01 Ramadan||29 Ramadan||01 Ramadan||29 Ramadan|
|2014||29 June 2014||27 July 2014|
|2013||10 July 2013||07 August 2013||04:06-04:07||04:16-04:17||04:24||19:11-19:14||19:01|
- Estimated dates in italics until confirmed by moon sighting committee in the UAE.
- Fajr/Imsak and Iftar/Magreb times are for Dubai. Add 4 or 5 minutes for Abu Dhabi, subtract 4 minutes for RAK, subtract 4 or 6 mins for Fujairah. Some variation in times seen in different sources (Gulf News, Khaleej Times, The National, islamicfinder.org, etc). UAE newspapers usually publish all prayer times (Fajr, Dhuhur, Asr, Magrib/Maghrib, Isha).
- 27 Jul 2014 (WAM): End of Ramadan announced, and first day of Eid Al Fitr will be Monday 28 July 2014.
- 27 Jun 2014 (WAM): Start date of Ramadan anounced as Sunday 29 Jun 2014 by the UAE Moonsighting Committee.
- 17 or 18 Jun 2014: Ramadan in the UAE announced as starting on 29 June 2014 according to data provided by the Sharjah Planetarium and reported in UAE newspapers as an official announcement by WAM (announcement not found). Last day of Ramadan expected to be 27 July 2014, and first day of Eid Al Fitr 28 July 2014.
Eid Al Fitr 2014 dates
- See Eid Al Fitr holidays.
UAE Moon Sighting Committee 2014
- Established a week or so before the expected start of Ramadan? In 2013 was headed by Dr Hadef Jua'an Al Daheri, UAE Minister of Justice.
Ramadan guidelines and etiquette for non-Muslims
See Ramadan guidelines UAE for a more detailed list of dos and donts, but short summary is: do not eat (or chew gum), drink, or smoke during the day during Ramadan anywhere in public in the UAE. This includes inside your car, at the beach, at shopping malls etc. You should be more conservative with your dress sense when in public by making sure your shoulders and legs are covered. Headscarves for women are not necessary.
Workers and labourers in UAE during Ramadan
In 2010, construction workers, labourers, and others working outside during the day in the summer months were permitted to break their fast during the day if conditions made it too difficult for them to continue fasting, according to a Fatwa on the www.awqaf.ae website dated 05 August 2010. Unknown if this still applies in later years. See UAE workers and Ramadan for more details.
Iftar cannons in UAE - 2011 information, should be similar for 2014
Locations of cannons being fired to signal Iftar (not confirmed for 2014 yet). Cannons are operated by the local police. Free meals to spectators still being offered in Sharjah locations handed out by Sharjah Police (Gulf News 26 July 2011)?
- Dubai - Deira, Karama, Safa Park Gate 4 (Jumeirah). Also Burj Khalifa-Downtown Dubai area (in the triangle park opposite side of Dubai Fountains to the Dubai Mall), new location for 2013.
- East Coast (Sharjah emirate): Al Dhaid - police station, Dibba Al Hosn - Sheikh Rashid Bin Ahmed Al Qasimi Mosque, Kalba - Tarif Mosque, Khor Fakkan Corniche - Al Bukhari Mosque.
- Sharjah: Al Badiah - Mussalah, Al Buheira Corniche - Al Noor Mosque, Al Falaj - Cultural Palace, Al Jarina - Al Sarri Mosque, Al Khan - Al Huda Mosque, Al Murqab - Bara Bin Azib Mosque, Talaa Mosque.
Ramadan timings and opening hours Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, UAE 2014
To be updated. See UAE Ramadan hours 2013 for previous information which is probably similar in 2014.
Date of information in brackets, if not 2014 check with organisation for confirmation. Opening hours not supplied or confirmed for 2014 unless noted.
- Banks in Dubai and UAE - Saturday or Sunday to Thursday 0900-1400 approximately, some with earlier openings and later closings, especially in Dubai shopping malls. Larger branches might be open evenings from 2100-2300 or similar.
- *Bus stations in Dubai operated by the RTA
- Directorate of Residency and Expatriate Affairs offices (Naturalisation and Residency Departments) - all offices open 0900-1800 daily but presumably only Sunday to Thursday. WAM reported the UAE Ministry of Interior as announcing "All service ports at these directorates will work from 9AM until 6PM continuously to ease up rush and customer congestion during the Holy month" (2012).
- DNRD Dubai 0800-1800 (assumed to be for Sunday-Thursday). Residency department at Mirdiff Arabian Center also open 2130-2400 (again, assumed to be for Sun-Thu). Other UAE NRD offices assume 0900-1400 unless otherwise indicated. During Eid Al Fitr (when almost everything government related is closed), the Dubai immigration office at the Bin Sougat Center is open from 2130-0030 (2010).
- *Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI)
- *Dubai Customs
- Dubai Ferry (2013) 1100-2200. Times apply to "All Week Days", not clear if that means 7 days per week or Sun-Thu only.
- *Dubai Health Centers (UAE government Ministry of Health Dubai Medical District)
- Dubai International Airport - operates as normal 24 hours per day after passport control and customs. McGettigan's bar (used to be the Irish Village) and VIP lounges might serve alcohol during the day. Some landside cafes (Costa Coffee for example) and restaurants might be open, including food court in T1 for takeaways and possibly eating on site if done discretely.
- Dubai Metro operating hours (2013) - RTA Ramadan timing information is the same as the normal Dubai Metro operating hours.
- Don't eat in trains, even at Iftar, or you risk a fine. Breast-feeding on trains also not allowed (Gulf News 28 July 2011). Train frequency reduced - "Just like every year, we reduce the frequency of trains operating during Ramadan," according to Ramadan Abdullah Mohammed, Director of the Rail Operations Department, RTA (Emirates 24-7 report 29 Jun 2013).
- Dubai Municipality (2012) - working hours 0900-1400, Sun to Thu.
- Federal government ministries and departments (2012) - working hours for employees 0900-1400 Sunday to Thursday.
- *Fujairah Medical District (goverment centers)
- Ministry of Labour (UAE MOL) (2012 information) - 0900-1730.
- Parking Dubai payment hours for public parking in RTA Dubai Municipality areas (free parking outside the times stated) (2013):
- Fish Market Deira - 0800-1300 and 1600-2300. Times apply to "All Week Days", not clear if that means 7 days per week or Sun-Thu only.
- TECOM - Dubai Media City, Dubai Internet City, Dubai Knowledge Village - 0800-1800 Sat-Thu, free parking on Fridays.
- Multi-level parking garages - 24 hrs, 7 days per week.
- All other areas - 0800-1300 and 1900-2400 Sat-Thu, free parking on Fridays.
- Parks in Dubai (public parks operated by the Dubai Municipality) (2012):
- Swimming pools in Mushrif Park and Al Mamzar Park will be closed for maintenance during Ramadan, and reopen for Eid Al Fitr.
- Al Mamzar Park open from 0800-2300
- Creek Park open from 0900-2300
- Jumeirah Beach Park open 0700-2000
- Mushrif Park open 1100-2200
- Residential and Pond Parks from 0800-1400
- Safa Park open from 1100-2300
- Zabeel Park open 1100-2300
- Post offices in the UAE (2012) - open 0900-1400 Sat-Thu, closed Fridays. Some of the main or larger post offices open 0900-1700 but none open in evenings according to WAM news release 19 Jul 2012 (in previous years some post offices open 2200-2400). Dubai Airport post office open 24 hrs 7 days per week (after passport control for departures, in terminal 1).
- All post offices are closed on the first day of Eid Al Fitr, and only main post offices are open on the other days of Eid Al Fitr, from 0900-1300. Main post offices open are: Abu Dhabi Central Post Office and Hamdan Post Office in Abu Dhabi; Al Ain Central Post Office; Dubai Central Post Office and Al Khor Post Office; Sharjah Central Post Office and Al Ghuwair Post Office; Ajman Central Post Office, Umm Al Quwain Industrial Post Office; Ras Al Khaimah Central Post Office, Al Uraibi Post Office; Fujairah Central Post Office, Dibba A Fujairah Post Office and Khorfakkan Post Office (2012).
- Public transport - see Dubai Metro, Water Buses and Water Taxis. Dubai Taxis operate 24 hours 7 days so no change during Ramadan, although it might be difficult to find a taxi around Iftar time since many or most taxi drivers are Muslim, and will be breaking their fast.
- *Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) Medical District (government health centers and clinics)
- RTA Dubai Customer Service Centers (all are closed Fridays) (2013):
- Al Barsha, Deira, Karama, Umm Ramool - 0900-1400 Sun-Thu
- Al Manara, Al Twar - 0900-1800 Sun-Thu
- Al Awir (Al Aweer) - 0900-1400 and 2000-2400 Sun-Thu
- Sharjah Medical Centers and Health Clinics (government)
- Shopping malls in UAE - most will operate extended hours in the evenings with closing times between 2200 and 0100, or possibly 0200. Later closings more likely for larger malls and/or on Thursday-Saturday nights. Opening times are unlikely to be different. Malls will usually be very quiet during the day which is great if you don't like crowds.
- Sharjah Museums mostly open 0900-1400. Some open 0930-1330 instead. Some open 2100-2300 in addition to morning hours.
- Theme parks in UAE - check with individual theme parks. Opening hours might vary and/or ride availability might be reduced. On the plus side, they will usually be less busy during the day (but busier in the evenings).
- UAE federal government offices (2009) 0900-1400 Sunday-Thursday.
- *Umm Al Quwain (UAQ) Medical District (government facilities)
- Vehicle licencing and registration centers in Dubai (RTA) (2013) - 0900-1500 and 2100-2400, Sat-Thu. Applies to Wasel Vehicle Testing, ENOC Tasjeel, Tamam Al Kindi Vehicle Testing, Mumayaz Vehicle Testing, Shamil Vehicle Testing, Cars & Al Shirawi.
- Water Bus Dubai (2013) 0700-2400. Times apply to "All Week Days", presumably means 7 days per week, not Sun-Thu only.
- Water Taxi Dubai (2013) 1000-2400. Times apply to "All Week Days", presumably means 7 days per week, not Sun-Thu only.
Restaurants and cafes daytime opening hours in Dubai and UAE during Ramadan 2014
- See separate page - Ramadan daytime cafes restaurants open Dubai.
- *See also the Ramadan in the UAE and coffee shops open Ramadan during day Dubai topics in the forum.
Removed from main page (Abu Dhabi); 2014 and before, or unconfirmed list, check for updates
- Cafe Arabia, Mushrif. Open from 0830-2300, takeaways only before Iftar.
- Hilton Abu Dhabi: Toki.
- Intercontinental Hotel: Belgian Cafe?
- Jones the Grocer?
- La Brioche?
- Manarat Al Saadiyat: Fanr Cafe?
- Shakespeare Cafe - open 0700-1900 for takeaways only? Dine-in after Iftar.
- Social Hub Cafe?
- Traders Hotel: Afya.
- Yas Links?
- [Hardly daytime dine-in] Zaatar W Zeit, Salam Street and other locations, 1600 or 1800 to 0500 daily, tel +971-2-6769940.
Removed from main page (Dubai)
TL;DR version - go to DIFC. Easy access by metro (Emirates Towers station, not Financial Center station), free underground car parking for 1 hr (free all day during weekends), good selection of restaurants and cafes open during the day. Most or all shopping malls won't have anywhere you can sit and eat or drink during the day (Mall of the Emirates is one exception if you go to the hotel restaurants at the Ski Dubai end). Some malls will have a few food court outlets open for takeaways only. McDonalds, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, KFC, Hardees, etc will be open for drivethru and walk in takeaways in many locations.
Weekdays are Sun-Thu, weekends are Fri-Sat. Establishments listed here are open for dine-in during the day during Ramadan unless otherwise stated. Many more places in Dubai (mostly shopping mall food courts) are open for takeaways and deliveries only.
- Andiamo's Cafe, Dubai Healthcare City, building 25, open 0700-1900 daily.
- Balcony Bar, Shangri-La Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Rd, check opening times.
- Boulevard Cafe (2014) - closed for renovations during Ramadan in 2014. Previous info (2013): on Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Boulevard (was Emaar Boulevard), next to Al Manzil Hotel, Downtown Dubai (Old Town Dubai) - open 0700-0100 during Ramadan, French food and coffee, smoking area outside (hot but shaded).
- Cafe Barbara, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Rd, open 0700-2400 daily.
- Cafe di Casa, Gold and Diamond Park, opposite FGB metro station. Open 0800-2130 weekdays, 1600-2130 Friday, 1000-2130 Saturday.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Rd - several places open daytime: Cafe Barbara, Harvester's Pub, Al Fresco, Al Dana, Wagamama.
- DIFC (Dubai International Financial Center) - all cafes and restaurants open daytime. Hours vary. Caffe Nero, Caribou Coffee, Dome Cafe, Gloria Jean's Coffee, Gramercy (see separate listing), Mint Leaf of London (1200-1500 and after Iftar, check), More Cafe (see separate entry), Starbucks.
- Dubai Healthcare City (daytime dine-in status) - Adiamo's building 25 open (0700-1900), Subway building 25 open 24 hrs. Food court and Caribou Coffee building 34 Block C most open behind curtains from about 0900 to 1700 or 1800. Starbucks in building 27 is closed for the month of Ramadan.
- Dubai Marina Yacht Club, Dubai Marina, 25-55 Café Bistro open 0700-2300 during Ramadan.
- *Fraiche Cafe Bistro, Swiss Tower, Cluster Y, Jumeirah Lake Towers (JLT), open 0800-2000 (weekdays), 0800-1800 (weekends and holidays) - fraiche.ae information. Hours also given as 0800-2200, 0800-2400 or 1200-2400 (conflicting information supplied - check).
- Dubai Media City (DMC) - Certo (1200-1500, check), Circle Cafe, Pascal Tepper, Q43, Sushi Counter, The Kebab Shop (see separate entry), Urban Bistro (see separate entry), Vapiano.
- Gramercy, DIFC, open 0900-0200 weekdays, 1200-0200 weekends during Ramadan, dine-in food and drink daytime (no alcohol before 8pm), smoking area.
- *Hard Rock Cafe, Dubai Festival City, open 1200-0100 or 0200, [Check].
- Harvester's Pub, Crown Plaza Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Rd, open from 1200 daily. Smoking area. Alcohol served after 8pm.
- La Serre Bistro and Boulangerie, Vida Hotel, Downtown Dubai, open daytime for breakfast 0700-1100, and lunch 1200-1500. Boulangerie section open 0700-2230 for coffee and French pain.
- More Cafe: DIFC branch open daytime during Ramadan (0800-2100 weekdays, 0900-1800 weekends). Gold and Diamond Park branch, opposite FGB metro station, Sheikh Zayed Rd, open 0700-1900, last orders 1800 (not 1200-2400 as given in some sources). More Cafe Al Murooj and MOE information not provided, closed daytime during Ramadan?
- Nelson's Bar, Media Rotana, TECOM, open 1200-0100, smoking area, no alcohol before 8pm.
- Park Central, Park Place tower, Sheikh Zayed Rd between Trade Center and Defense roundabouts. Information supplied said open 24 hrs during Ramadan but this is incorrect (open 24 hrs outside Ramadan period). During Ramadan is open 1900-0500 daily (or nightly) during Ramadan, no takeaways daytime either. Same building has a Cafe Bateel open for takeaways only from 0800-0100 so your trip isn't completely wasted. Or go to Crown Plaza nearby.
- Reform Social and Grill (bar), The Lakes, Emirates Hills, open 0700-2400 or 0900-2400, or until 0200 (conflicting information supplied, check - sign outside says they open 0800). No alcohol before 8pm. Special 2 for 1 meal offer from 1200-1700 on weekdays (Sun-Thu).
- *Salamontini, Mall of the Emirates, open 1200-0100 (check, not confirmed).
- The Kebab Shop, Zee Tower, Dubai Media City, open 1200-2400. DMC location only open for daytime dine-in according to TKS Twitter, not other locations (Abu Dhabi, Discovery Gardens, Dubai Sports City, JAFZA, Sharjah).
- The Pavilion, Downtown Dubai, MBR Boulevard. Open 1000-0100, daytime during Ramadan, as originally stated. Previous information was first 1000-0100, changed to 1900-0100 (closed daytime) then back to 1000-0100 during Ramadan. Saturday buffet brunch for 99 dhs.
- *Urban Bistro, CNN Building, Dubai Media City, open 0700-1800 or 0700-2200 (weekdays), 0800-1700 or 0900-1800 (weekends), conflicting information supplied, first timings stated is UB website information.
- Wagamama, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Rd, open 1200-2400 daily for dine-in.
- Wafi Pyramids (daytime dine in status) - Cactus Cantina open, Carter's open (1200-0200), Thai Chi open 1200-1500 for lunch. [Asha's check], Seville's closed, Medzo closed, Spin Dubai closed, Vintage closed (evenings also closed during Ramadan).
*information needs to be checked or confirmed.
Unconfirmed, or changes to previous information
- *Basta Art Cafe, Al Fahidi Historical District (Bastakiya), possibly open daytime - vague information seen, not confirmed.
- Boulevard Cafe, Downtown Dubai, Manzil Hotel - closed for renovations during Ramadan in 2014. Listed here because in 2013 it was open for dine-in during the day during Ramadan.
- Manzil Hotel, Downtown Dubai - hotel is closed for renovations from beginning of Ramadan, except for Nezesaussi Grill while football is on, but only open evenings after Iftar.
- Nezesaussi Grill, Manzil Hotel, downtown Dubai - open from 7pm or 8pm evenings only, closed daytime during Ramadan.
- The Dubai Mall - some outlets in food court and other areas open for takeaways only. No dine in facilities except in The Address hotel.
- *XVA Art Gallery, Al Fahidi Historical District (Bastakiya), open 1000-1800 with new outdoor airconditioning they said. Not confirmed if cafe is operating during day, but Basta Art Cafe nearby is possibly open daytime.
Events, Iftar deals, etc
See Ramadan 2012 information for possible events, Iftar and other deals which might be repeated in 2013. Information below to be updated when supplied.
Ramadan 2014 Abu Dhabi
- To be updated as information is supplied.
Ramadan 2011 Abu Dhabi
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque - free Iftar meal. Non-Muslims can attend (but dress conservatively)? Tel 800-555.
Ramadan 2014 in Al Ain
- Al Ain Wildlife Park & Resort (Al Ain Zoo) - 2100-0200 (9pm to 2am), last entry tickets sold at 0100 (2010 information but presumably the same for 2013).
Ramadan 2014 Dubai Iftar and Suhoor meals and buffets, hotel deals
To be updated as and when information is supplied.
List of Ramadan Tents in Dubai 2014
- To be updated.
Ramadan Dubai 2014 competitions, events, exhibitions, special offers
- To be updated as information supplied
Ramadan in Fujairah activities, tents, meals 2014
- To be updated when information supplied.
Ramadan in Ras Al Khaimah RAK events and Iftar meals 2014
- To be updated.
Ramadan Sharjah 2014 events
- To be updated
Eid Al Fitr 2014 UAE
- See Eid Al Fitr 2014 UAE page
Last update Wednesday 28-Jun-2017
- Ramadan Abu Dhabi Dubai Sharjah - general Ramadan information, and for the UAE
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi - tours throughout the year
- Coffee shops open day time Ramadan 2014 - 2014 forum topic for Ramadan discussion.
- Ramadan UAE 2013 - previous information.
- Ramadan UAE 2012 - previous information.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.