Jebel Ali International Airport (DWC)
Jebel Ali International Airport - (IATA Airport Code DWC, not JXB)
See Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC) page for more up to date information. Jebel Ali International Airport was renamed as Dubai World Central International Airport, then Al Maktoum International Airport (airport code DWC, not JXB), which opened for cargo flights in June 2010, and passenger flights in October 2013. Most flights to or from Dubai use Dubai International Airport (DXB), and probably will continue to do so until around 2018 or 2020 at least. This page left for archive purposes.
Jebel Ali ... Dubai World Central ... Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC)
IATA Airport Code changed from JXB to DWC (although not clear if JXB was ever an official IATA code or one just used as a reference temporarily).
- 15 Oct 2007 press release - comment from Sheikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil Aviation and Chairman of Dubai Aviation Corporation - Dubai World Central, about DWC Commercial City (JXB airport name and code): "The city will be the nerve cell for Dubai World Central once the new Dubai World Central International Airport (JXB) - set to be the world's largest - is fully operational in 2015."
- Further updates and information on the DWC page.
Jebel Ali International Airport expected opening date
Official opening date was 27 Jun 2010. See DWC information page for more.
- 27 Oct 2013 - start date for passenger terminal and flights (delayed from Mar 2011). See DWC page for more information.
- 04 May 2010 (AFP report) - Passenger flights expected to start in 2011, maybe by end of March, according to comments from Paul Griffiths reported by AFP. No further information supplied about which airlines would fly to JXB.
- 24 Feb 2010 (EB report) - The opening date of the new Al Maktoum International Airport at Jebel Ali is expected to be 27 June 2010, according to a report in Emirates Business 24/7. Don't get too excited though, first flights will be cargo only. Paul Griffiths, CEO of Dubai Airports, said in the report "We are on track so far for the June 27 opening. ... The airport will open for freighter operations initially."
List of Jebel Ali Al Maktoum Dubai World Central International Airport passenger airlines
As of 03 Apr 2013 (further updates added to Al Maktoum Airport information page):
- Emirates Airline - no confirmed plans to start flights from Dubai World Central, previous reports indicated EK might transfer operations to DWC by around 2025 or later.
- Fly Dubai - no confirmed plans to start flights from DWC. Previous indicated FlyDubai would consider transferring some operations to DWC but no timeframe in place yet.
- nasair (Nas Air, Nassair) - flights starting from DWC to Saudi Arabia on 27 Oct 2013.
- Wizz Air - flights starting from DWC on 28 Oct 2013. Destinations include Budapest, Bucharest, Kyiv (Kiev), Sofia.
Growth in passenger traffic to Dubai and the UAE - November 2006
- Dubai International Airport traffic almost 24 million passengers by end of October 2006 (Update: was over 38 million passengers for 2008).
- Total UAE airport capacity in 2006 is 33 million passengers. Expected to increase 4x by 2008 to 120 million passengers, and 240 million passengers by the time DWCIA is completed. Total for the Middle East region is forecast at 320 million passengers per year by 2012.
- Annual growth in passenger traffic about 15% for Dubai from 2003 onwards.
Jebel Ali Airport timeline and history
- See DWC Airport information for dates after June 2010.
Last update Sunday 29-Dec-2013. Page development 4L 5C.
- Dubai flights - list of airlines and destinations from Dubai Airport
- Duty free alcohol, money, cigarettes UAE - import export limits for duty-free into Dubai and UAE.
|UAE Airlines||Air Arabia | Air Arabia flights | Al Hajjar Aviation | Eastern Express | Emirates Airlines | EK flights | Etihad Airways | Fly Dubai | FlyDubai schedule | Kang Pacific| RAK Airways | Rotana Jet | UAE airlines ||
|UAE Airports||AUH (Abu Dhabi) | AAN (Al Ain) | Ajman airport (planned) | DXB (Dubai) | DXB flights | FJR (Fujairah) | DWC (Al Maktoum) | RKT (Ras Al Khaimah) | SHJ (Sharjah)|
|UAE travel information||Budget flights Dubai | Flight deals to Dubai | Budget hotels Dubai | Car rental Dubai | Hotels in Dubai | Budget holidays Dubai | Egate Dubai | Tourist guide Dubai | Visit visa Dubai|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.