UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR)
Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in the UAE
UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR or sometimes MHESR) in Abu Dhabi, information and contact details.
- The MOHESR is the UAE federal government body and authority that regulates tertiary level education in the country.
- The MOHESR licenses universities and colleges in the UAE, and accredits their courses through the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) division of the MOHESR.
- Note that if an institute is licensed by the MOHESR, that does not mean all courses offered are accredited - each course is awarded individual accreditation (or not).
- There are many tertiary level institutes in the UAE that are not accredited, especially those operating in academic free zones such as Dubai Academic City, Dubai Knowledge Village, and the RAK Education and Academic Zone. Also most branch campuses of foreign universities (many of which operate out of one of the education free zones).
Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA)
05 Sep 2013 update: The National reported that All federal universities will be regulated by the same authority that oversees private institutions, starting this academic year. Referring to the CAA as the regulating authority. Federal institutes include the Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT), UAE University, and Zayed University which previously weren't apparently accredited by the CAA. It wasn't clear from the report where the new ruling originated. The report noted that One problem the CAA faces now is that it requires all teachers to have a terminal degree, the highest academic degree in a field of study, which the Higher Colleges of Technology does not require.
- The CAA is a division of the higher education ministry that awards accreditation for courses at universities and colleges in the UAE. Only private institutes are regulated by the CAA, not federal government institutes? Which might mean UAE government institutes (federal) are not accredited by the CAA, but local government institutes (for example Abu Dhabi University, Sharjah University, etc) are? This comment needs clarification and updating.
- If a tertiary level course offered in the UAE is not accredited by the CAA, that means it will not be accepted as a prerequisite for enrolment to a course that is accredited by the CAA, and will usually not be acceptable as a qualification for jobs at UAE institutions accredited by the CAA, many schools in the UAE, and UAE government sector jobs.
MOHESR location and contact details
- MOHESR tel +971-2-6951300
- MOHESR Educational Programs Division (for degree attestation enquiries) tel +971-2-6951334
- MOHESR located on 6th street, between 9th and 11th street in Abu Dhabi city - location map (new window)
Last update Friday 27-Sep-2013. Page development 4L 5C.
- HCT UAE - Higher Colleges of Technology, federal vocational tertiary level colleges in most emirates
- KUSTAR - Khalifa University, and Abu Dhabi government university
- Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) - Dubai body governing education in Dubai
- Ministries in UAE - a list of UAE government departments
- Ministry of Education in the UAE - kindergartens and schools governing body
- UAE college directory
- UAE university directory
- UAE University - a UAE government university in Al Ain, also an office in Dubai
- University Quality Assurance International Board (UQAIB) - a Dubai based university licensing authority, or something.
- Zayed University - a federal government university in Dubai and Abu Dhabi
- www.caa.ae - Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) website - search here for accredited institutes of higher learning, and degree courses.
- www.mohesr.ae Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research (MOHESR) website, in Arabic and English. Online degree certificate attestation service available?
- [Disabled] Submit URL.