Zayed University Academic City in Dubai
||Zayed University Academic City
||Dan Johnson (Provost)
|Executive body or owner
|Number of students (approx)
|Number of staff (approx)
|Type of institute
government non-profit university
|University location / area
||Al Ruwayyah, Dubai Academic City - location map
||PO Box 19282, Dubai, UAE
||www.zu.ac.ae (new window)
||BA, BEd, BSc, MA, MSc, MEd, MBA
|Lecturer salary range
|Student satisfaction rating
|Parent satisfaction rating
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
Comments about Zayed University Academic City
Add a comment or review about Zayed University Academic City
ZU campuses in the UAE
Zayed University Abu Dhabi | Zayed University Dubai | Zayed International College (Knowledge Village) | Zayed University Knowledge Village (males)
Zayed University Courses and Programs available include (list is not comprehensive)
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Arabic and Islamic Studies
- Art and Design
- English Language and Literature
- Natural and Quantitative Sciences
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Certificate in Heritage Management
- College of Business Sciences
- College of Communication and Media Sciences
- Master of Arts in Communications with Specialization in Tourism and Communication - started 2009 (Abu Dhabi or Dubai or both?).
- Masters of Art (MA) in Communications with specialisation in Strategic Public Relations - started 24 October 2011, duration 2 years, available at Dubai and Abu Dhabi campuses (news release 30 October 2011).
- College of Education
- College of Information Technology
- Institute for Islamic World Studies (IIWS) (Abu Dhabi ZU campus only?)
- Master of Arts in Museum Studies - in partnership with University of St Andrews (UK), program covers contemporary Western art, Emirati heritage, Islamic design, museum exhibition design, museum operation and management. Classes taught in English by faculty from ZU and from St Andrews University. Program open to all nationalities. Duration 18 months. Limited places. Starts September 2012. Reported 22 April 2012. Information supplied did not include which campus is offering the degree - Dubai or Abu Dhabi - but it appears to be at the Abu Dhabi campus.
Undergraduate programs across different colleges
- Bachelor of Arts in Emirati Studies (from 2010-2011 academic year) - College of Arts and Sciences, and College of Communications and Media Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Design (from 2010-2011 academic year) - College of Information Technology, College of Communications and Media Sciences, and College of Arts and Sciences
- Executive Masters in Business Administration (EMBA)
- Executive Masters in Public Administration (EMPA)
- Executive Management Certificate Program (EMCP)
- Executive Masters in Health Care Administration (EMHCA)
- Master of Education
- NBAD AFAQ Master of Science in Finance at the NBAD Academy
- Zayed Diplomatic College (Abu Dhabi) - Graduate Certificate and Master of Arts in Diplomacy and International Affairs/Studies (College of Arts and Sciences)
- Zayed University Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (ZU URSP)
- Zayed University Institute for Community Engagement (ZU ICE) Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) from the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
ZU Partnerships with foreign universities
- Al Maktoum Institute for Arabic and Islamic Studies (Scotland)
- Australian National University (Australia)
- Confucius Institute (China)
- Georgetown University (USA)
- King Sejong Institute (Korea)
- School of Business Management and Organization of the Foundation Antonio Genovesi Salerno (Italy)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
- University of Connecticut (USA)
- University of Florida (USA)
- University of North Carolina (USA)
- University of Washington (USA)
- Waseda University (Japan)
ZU Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs)
- Injazat Institute MOU signed with ZU (press release 30 March 2011) - see ZU Abu Dhabi for more details.
- Khalifa University of Science and Technology MOU signed with ZU - see Zayed University Abu Dhabi for more details (WAM 25 December 2010).
- MOU signed between the Emirates Institution for Advanced Science & Technology (EIAST), and the ZU Institute for Community Engagement (ICE) to develop and promote applied research and development to boost industrial innovations in the UAE (press release 30 October 2010).
- Matrix, UK - pending (November 2012)? Accreditation process complete by January 2013? ZU will be the first UAE university, and the first university outside the UK to receive accreditation from Matrix (The National, 07 November 2012).
- Middle States Commission for Accreditation, USA - accreditation process in progress (November 2012)?
Teaching jobs at Zayed University
- A 2% pay rise will be granted to ZU teachers, backdated to August 2010. Reportedly contracts specify an annual 5% increase but salaries have been frozen since 2008. Salary scale is approximately AED 13,400 to 30,000 for teaching faculty (The National 17 January 2011).
Zayed University provosts
- 2011 - Dr Larry Wilson, appointment reported 20 June 2011
- 2011 - Dr Thomas Cochran - interim provost from April to June 2011?
- 2011 - Dr Dan Johnson (Daniel Johnson) resigned in March 2011
- 2002-2007 - Dr Larry Wilson (Lauren R Wilson)
- 1998-2002 - Dr B Dell Felder
20 June 2011 - new Provost at Zayed University
- Dr Larry Wilson is the new Provost at Zayed University. He was previously head at ZU until 2007, then left and did consultancy work in the USA. The interim provost, Dr Thom Cochran, will become deputy provost.
11 April 2011 - Zayed University head resigns (reported by The National)
- The Provost of Zayed University, Dr Dan Johnson, reportedly said in March 2011 that he would not be renewing his contract upon expiry in October 2011, but then announced on 10 April 2011 that he would resign by 01 May 2011.
- The Zayed University Chief of Staff, Thomas Cochran, will become interim provost while the university searches for a new provost.
02 September 2010 - CFAB certificate at ZU (press release)
- Zayed University Institute for Community Engagement (ZU ICE) has become a Partner in Learning of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) which means the ICE will offer the ICAEW Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) to corporate clients.
- The ZU ICE offers corporate training and consulting with clients including Emirates NBD Bank, Mashreq Bank, National Bank of Abu Dhabi, UAE Central Bank, UAE Ministry of Finance.
- Executive Director of the ICE is
25 August 2010 -
The Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (ZU URSP)
- Zayed University has introduced a new program, The Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (ZUURSP), to help undergrads develop their research skills and improve their ability to choose a research topic.
- 18 ZU students from Abu Dhabi and Dubai were chosen for the first running of the program (from WAM news 25 August 2010).
06 May 2010
08 December 2009
- University of North Carolina and Zayed University signed a Memorandum of Understanding to "engage both universities in collaborative and cooperative efforts to participate in mutually beneficial activities and to offer programs of study and training programs."
12 March 2007
- Zayed University is for female Emirati students. See also Zayed University Abu Dhabi Campus.
- ZU has five academic colleges - Arts and Sciences, Business Sciences, Communication and Media Sciences, Education and Information Technology.
- ZU originally opened in 1998 in Garhoud. The Dubai Academic City campus opened in 2006.
ZU demonstrated in February 2006 that there are limits to academic freedom on university campuses in the UAE when a lecturer, Claudia Kiburz, was fired by H.E. Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, UAE Minister of Education, after attempting to discuss with students, and distribute, some cartoons that were offensive to Islam (famously, or infamously, known as the Danish Cartoons). The Head of the English Language Center, Andrew Hirst, was apparently also fired, but then reinstated.
Last update 02 November 2010
General Comments - might not apply to Zayed University Academic City
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.