Khalifa University of Science
Khalifa University of Science in Abu Dhabi
|University name||Khalifa University of Science|
|Director's name||Professor Tod A. Laursen (President from Aug 2010)|
|Executive body or owner||Board of Trustees, Abu Dhabi Government|
|Date founded||September 2008|
|Number of students (approx)||1,200|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||government non-profit university, Ministry of Higher Education license|
|University location / area||location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|Qualifications||PhD, BE, MSc|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
Khalifa University of Science admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about Khalifa University of Science
Khalifa Universty of Science, Technology, and Research (KUSTAR) degree courses and programs
- Bachelor degrees in Aerospace Engineering, BioMedical Engineering, Communications, Computing, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Software.
- Master's degree in Information Security, Research Engineering.
- Master's degree in International and Civil Security (announced 27 July 2011 - WAM news). Accredited by MOHESR?
- MA - Masters of Arts in International and Civil Security - announced 16 February 2011 (press release).
- Master's and Doctorate degree programs in Computers, Electronic Engineering, Telecommunications
- Future programs expected in Engineering, Homeland Security, Life Sciences, Logistics and Management.
- Medicine - a medical school is planned with a possible opening date in 2014 (The National 09 Nov 2012).
Khalifa University (KU) MOHESR accredited courses
- Bachelor of Engineering BEng (Hons) Communication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering BEng (Hons) Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering
- Master of Science in Research Engineering MSc
- Doctor of Philosophy Engineering PhD (computer/communication/electronics)
- PhD Engineering new accredited specializations (announced 29 Sep 2012) - aerospace, biomedical engineering, mechanical, nuclear, robotics.
Khalifa University (KU) Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding
- The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR) and KU signed an MOU agreement for cooperation in research and development programs for nuclear safety, in training personnel, in organising events that will support capacity building and knowledge transfer, and in exchanging information on emerging issues or incidents at nuclear facilities (WAM news 07 December 2011).
- Mubadala Aerospace MoU signed to establish an Aerospace Research and Innovation Centre (ARIC) at the Abu Dhabi campus of Khalifa University (WAM 18 December 2010). Center opening planned by end of 2011.
- University of Bristol, UK - MoU signed to establish the Visual Signal Analysis and Processing (VSAP) research centre at the Abu Dhabi campus of Khalifa University (WAM 26 April 2011).
- Zayed University MoU signed with KUSTAR - see Zayed University Abu Dhabi for more details (WAM 25 December 2010).
09 July 2012
- New provost appointed to Khalifa University - Dr Jay Noren. Interim provost was (or still is according to KU website) Dr Mohammed Ebrahim Al Mualla.
- Khalifa University President is Professor Tod A. Laursen (appointed August 2010).
04 October 2010
- Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR) signed an agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna to establish an e-Learning Portal at KUSTAR as part of the development of the UAE nuclear energy program (press release 04 October 2010).
08 May 2010
- A new Khalifa University (KUSTAR) President has been appointed for August 2010 - Professor Tod A. Laursen (PhD, MS, BS), currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Duke University in the United States (press release 02 May 2010).
- Dr Arif Sultan Al Hammadi, the Interim President at KUSTAR, will remain as Executive Vice-President.
- Interim Provost is (or was?) Dr Mohammed Ebrahim Al Mualla.
- KUSTAR was established in February 2007 by Royal Decree, issued by the UAE President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- KUSTAR main campus is in Abu Dhabi, and there is a KUSTAR Sharjah branch campus.
- Planned research centers in Aerospace, Energy, Health Sciences, Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Nanotechnology.
- KUSTAR is open to male and female students of all nationalities but especially UAE nationals.
16 March 2010
- Kustar is one of the supporting organisations for the new Gulf Nuclear Energy Infrastructure Institute (GNEII).
27 December 2009
- WAM reported that the UAE and South Korea signed a nuclear energy deal worth AED 75 billion between the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (ENEC) and a consortium of South Korean and US companies led by Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) for the construction and operation of 4 nuclear power plants in the UAE.
- Included was an agreement on education and human resources development between Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR) and Institute of Applied Technology (IAT) in the UAE and the following institutes in Korea: Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Korea Electric Power Corporation, Human Resources Development Service of Korea (HRD) and Korea Development Institute.
03 June 2009
Khalifa University (KUSTAR) is offering "The UAE Nuclear Energy Scholarships" to UAE Nationals interested in nuclear energy studies. Students have all tuition paid for, receive a monthly salary, and if studying overseas have flights, medical, and accommodation costs covered. Bachelor degree scholarships are worth AED 8,000 per month for basic salary and AED 18,350 total. Masters degree scholarships are worth AED 20k-40k per month. Tel 800-332211 (toll free in UAE) for more details. Scholarships available for the following programs:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSc)
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSc)
- Bachelors Degree in Nuclear Engineering (BSc)
- Masters Degree in Nuclear Engineering (MSc)
09 June 2008
- Full name is Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR).
- Three or four websites showing the same content - www.euc.ac.ae, www.ku.ac.ae, www.kustar.ac.ae, and maybe www.ece.ac.ae. Primary site appears to be www.ku.ac.ae.
- Contact toll free in UAE tel 800332211
- There is also a Sharjah Khalifa University of Science branch which merged with the Etisalat University College in February 2008.
- Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) accreditation reported 09 June 2008 (Khaleej Times).
- Courses in communication engineering, computer engineering, electronic engineering, Engineering, Logistics Management, Health Sciences, and Applied Sciences to be offered at the Abu Dhabi campus (also Homeland Security?).
- Abu Dhabi campus will admit students to foundation program only, and all students will be on full scholarship for academic year 2008-2009. UAE and possibly expatriate students admitted (male and female) although KUSTAR seems to be predominantly Emirati nationals.
- Temporary campus in Abu Dhabi opened September 2008, permanant campus under construction.
Last update 04 October 2012
General comments - might not apply to Khalifa University of Science
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Abu Dhabi and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
|Universities||Abu Dhabi universities | Ajman Al Ain Fujairah UAQ universities | Dubai universities | Ras Al Khaimah universities | Sharjah universities | UAE universities|
|Abu Dhabi education||List of Abu Dhabi universities | List of Abu Dhabi colleges | List of Abu Dhabi schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.