UAE University Al Ain
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
UAE University Al Ain
|University name||UAE University Al Ain|
|Director's name||Professor Mohamed Baniyas (Provost)|
|Executive body or owner|
|Number of students (approx)||14,000|
|Number of staff (approx)|
|Type of institute||government university|
|University location / area||location map|
|Postal address||PO Box 15551, Al Ain, UAE|
|Website||www.uaeu.ac.ae (new window)|
|Qualifications||BA, BSc, MBA, MEd, MEM, MSc, DBA, PhD|
|Lecturer salary range|
|Student satisfaction rating|
|Parent satisfaction rating|
|Lecturer job satisfaction rating
(by lecturers, not about lecturers)
|Voting disabled on mobile|
UAE University Al Ain admissions, reviews, notes
Add a comment or review about UAE University Al Ain
UAEU undergraduate departments and courses
- Agriculture (Aridland)
- Arabic Language and Literature
- Architectural Engineering
- Business Administration
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Consumer Sciences
- Curriculum & Methods of Instruction
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Commerce (eCommerce)
- English Language and Literature
- Environmental Engineering
- Family Sciences
- Food Sciences
- Foundations of Education
- Health and Nutrition
- Information Security
- Information Systems
- Islamic Studies
- Law (Public)
- Mass Communication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Physics
- Network Engineering
- Nutrition and Health
- Petroleum and Water
- Petroleum Engineering
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Software Engineering
- Special Education
UAEU post-graduate departments and courses
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering MSc
- Engineering Management Master's Program (MEM)
- Environmental Science Master's Program
- Master of Education (MEd) with 3 specialties - Curriculum & Instruction, School Leadership, Special Education
- Master of Engineering in Microprocessor Design
- Materials Science and Engineering (MTSE) Master's Program
- MBA - Master of Business Administration to be launched in 2012 (reported 06 November 2011)
- Mechanical Engineering MSc
- Medicine - Master's and Doctor's degrees from September 2010
- Petroleum Science and Engineering
- Chemical Engineering MSc
- Petroleum Geosciences MSc
- Petroleum Engineering MSc
- Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Water Resources Master Program (WRMP)
UAE University agreements and Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs)
- Etisalat Academy - MOU signed to develop an MBA program and other training courses for Etisalat employees. Not clear if courses will be delivered at UAEU or Etisalat Academy or both. Course fees and starting dates not supplied (PR 11 Dec 2013). Courses are for Emirati citizens only?
- Cambridge University (UK) and UAEU agreement signed 25 November 2010 for a 10-year strategic academic collaboration to develop and strengthen research and education in Abu Dhabi, the UAE and the Gulf region (press release 25 November 2010).
- Technische Universität Berlin (Technical University of Berlin) and UAEU signed an MOU to collaborate in six areas: Fostering the education and research cooperation between Germany and the UAE; Organising joint study programs with a view to awarding double degrees; Promoting research and training scholarships; Faculty, staff and student exchange opportunities; Scientific materials exchange; Joint sponsorship of seminars, workshops, and other scientific meetings.
UAE University expansion and new campus
- UAE University expansion plans include a new campus with capacity of 15,000 (or 17,000) students expected to be completed by mid-2011. Female campus opened September 2010? Male campus to open September 2012?
- New buildings being built on a 285,000 square meter (3.1 million sq feet) plot of land. Facilities will include administration buildings, educational, recreational and residential facilities (WAM report 11 July 2010).
- New campus at Maqam has installed a UAEU-Cloud IT Network with 3 configurations - UAEU-SpaceNet for research, UAEU-SkyNet for wireless (either someone has a sense of humour, or they've never heard of The Terminator), and UAEU-EarthNet for academic uses (Khaleej Times 07 August 2010).
- New Maqam campus opens September 2010 for female students, and scheduled to open about January 2012 for male students.
- Facilities on completion expected to include separate male and female facilities with cafes, dining rooms, gymnasiums, recreation and sports facilities, Olympic-size swimming pool with electronic timers and sensors.
UAE University rankings
- 08 Dec 2013 - UAEU is ranked as the best university in the Arab region, and 76th overall out of the countries surveyed by the Times Higher Education BRICS and Emerging Economies Rankings for 2014.
- BRICS refers to the countries Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. Other countries surveyed included Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UAE.
- UAEU received a score of 22.6 out of 100 in the survey. The top rated university was Peking University in China, with a score of 65.0. Only two other universities scored higher than 50 - Tsinghua University in China (63.5) and University of Cape Town in South Africa (50.5). Unknown how many universities were ranked.
- Some news reports said UAEU was 76th in the world but that was misleading since not all countries were included in the survey. The THE World University Rankings is a worldwide survey which includes the BRICS and Middle East subset, with UAEU's position not provided but it was not in the top 400 for 2013-2014.
- The world rankings have 135 universities with a score of 50 or higher. Of the top 20 universities, one is in Canada, one in Switzerland, three in the UK, and the remainder in the USA.
- 31 May 2012 - UAEU ranked in 48th spot in the QS World University Rankings for universities operating less than 50 years, the only university in the UAE in the top 50.
- 05 September 2011 (news reports) - UAEU is in 338th position out of 2,000 institutions in the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings, and was the only UAE based university in the top 500. There were 7 Middle East universities in the top 500 with UAEU the 4th highest in that group. Last year, UAEU was at 372nd spot?
- 12 October 2009 - UAE University ranking by the Times Higher Education newspaper is the 374th best university in the world, in the same place as Heriot Watt University in Scotland (which has a Heriot Watt Dubai branch in the UAE). UAEU is the only UAE based university in the worldwide list of top 400 universities.
15 October 2013
- UAE University will be officially inspected for the first time by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA). Until now, UAE University (and other federal universities and colleges?) had been exempt from CAA inspections.
- New provost of UAE University is Dr Mohamed Albaili (Dr Mohammed Al Baili), started September 2013.
18 October 2012
- New Vice-Chancellor announced as Dr Ali Rashid Al Nuaimi. He started at UAE University as a faculty member in 1991 (WAM news).
08 May 2012
- The new provost of UAE University was announced as Professor Mohamed Yousef Hasan Baniyas, starting 03 June 2012. Currently Prof Baniyas is Vice Provost for Medical Sciences and Dean of Medicine at UAE University (press release).
27 April 2012
- The provost of UAE University, Professor Rory Hume has resigned, or will resign at the end of his contract. Reason for resignation was not made public, apart from him coming to the end of his contract (The National report).
01 September 2010 - ABET accreditation for Faculty of Engineering programs (press release)
- UAEU Faculty of Engineering programs have been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET in the USA after an 18 month review process.
- Accreditation is retroactive from October 2008 and applies to UAE University BSc degrees in Architectural, Civil, Chemical, Electrical, Communication, Mechanical, and Petroleum Engineering.
30 June 2010 - new Masters and Doctorate programs in Medicine (WAM news report)
- New degree programs announced, offered by the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at UAE University, presumably from September 2010 (not clear in press release).
- Bachelor in Medicine and Surgery, duration 6 years for general secondary certificate holders, and 4 years for B.Pharm degree graduates. Program only open to UAE Nationals.
- Master of Public Health, Master of Science in Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmacology or Toxicology
- Doctor of Medicine in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Cancer Biology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Pathology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Physiology, Public Health, Toxicology.
24 June 2010
- A Gulf News report 23 June 2010 said that Shaikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, wanted to make UAE University one of the top 100 institutions in the world and the best in the Middle East.
- Currently, UAE University is apparently one of the top 400 universities in the world but not in the top 500, if that makes sense. The Gulf News report said Members of the House said the UAEU, which was founded in 1976 and is the oldest in the country, is one of the few higher education institutions in the country with significant research programmes, but it was not included among the world's top 500 universities. ... Shaikh Nahyan said the UAE University is now one of the top 400 institutions in the world and the ministry plans to make it one of the top 100 universities in the world.
10 June 2010 - cancellation of foundation program (The National)
- UAE University announced on 25 May 2010 that its foundation program would be cancelled and students would relocate to the Higher Colleges of Technology from September 2010 or 2011.
- Some foundation program teachers would be relocated to HCT campuses in Fujairah, Madinat Zayed, and Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) according to the report. Whether or not they wanted to, causing a good deal of angst for Al Ain based faculty. The report of people moving to RAK appears to be incorrect.
- The Provost of UAEU was reported as saying "The partnership between UAEU and HCT will allow students to be nearer their high schools and homes, ... We are honouring all staff contracts and working with them to minimise any disruption. This move is for the benefit of the students."
- Instructors at UAEU will probably be wondering just what part of their contract is being honoured by the forced move.
23 May 2010
- UAE University announces they are the Middle East examinations center for the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI) Faculty of Occupational Medicine exams (WAM news report 23 May 2010).
- Exams were held at the UAEU Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences on 19, 20, 22 May 2010.
- An MOU was signed between UAEU and the RCPI in 2008.
- The only other RCPI overseas examination center so far started in Kuala Lumpur in 1996 according to the news release, but the RCPI website (www.rcpi.ie) lists the following overseas venues: Bahrain (Manama?), Jeddah-Saudi Arabia, Kolkata-India, Kuala Lumpur-Malaysia, Muscat-Oman.
09 May 2010 - UAE University Global Health Institute (press release)
- A UAEU Global Health Institute is planned for the Al Ain campus, in partnership with the University of California Global Health Institute.
- Other Global Health Institute partnerships are planned with Yale University, and other universities in Bergen, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.
28 March 2010
- United Arab Emirates University have announced the launch of a PhD program in Technology, Language & Society (TLS), operated by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FHSS).
- Course length 4 years, with an MA awarded after 2 years (press release 28 March 2010).
10 March 2010
- UAE University plans to start a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) from late 2010 according to a report in The National 10 March 2010 - "It was developed after requests by Emiratis in senior positions at public and private companies, said Prof David Graf, the dean of the College of Business and Economics."
- First UAE University DBA class expected to have 15 students, and to be run by 6-8 teaching staff.
- Course program will be 2 years of coursework, then up to 2 years for dissertation/thesis (possibly extended to 4 years). DBA degree can be studied part-time.
09 January 2010
- UAE University announced plans to open a public health research institute within a year during a global health conference held at the university, according to a report in The National, with 15-30 scientists staffing the research center: "The university, which this week played host to the Global Health and the UAE conference, aims to recruit up to 30 extra researchers to help staff the institute for global health."
07 October 2009
- Annual convocation ceremony held on Tuesday 06 October 2009.
- UAE University plans to evolve into a more research oriented university with improved facilities under development.
- Chancellor is Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Vice-Chancellor is Dr Abdullah Khanbashi.
08 May 2009
- UAE University will start offering PhD programs from September 2009, according to a report in The National 08 May 2009. Apparently it will be the first government university in the UAE to offer PhDs, except for the UAE government universities and colleges that already offer PhDs (Khalifa University of Science, Emirates Education College).
- PhD courses will take the format of course work for the first year, then 2 to 3 years of research and writing a dissertation.
- UAEU PhDs will be available in undergraduate subject areas.
- UAEU is in the process of transforming itself, by 2012, into a research university. Research centers will include:
- economy - regional and global
- energy - - regional and global
- health - national, regional and global
- information technology (IT)
- Most students at UAEU are Emirati.
- UAEU new facilities are under construction.
13 August 2008
- New Provost will be Dr Wyatt Rory Hume (Dr Wyatt R. Hume) from 01 September 2008. Previously, Dr Hume was provost and executive vice president for academic and health affairs at University of California (from June 2006 to August 2008), and president of the University of New South Wales in Australia from 2002 to 2004.
18 February 2007
- UAE University, or "United Arab Emirates University" also has an office of UAE University in Dubai (in Knowledge Village).
- UAEU is a university initially established as a tertiary institute for Emirati students to obtain degrees from. It also allows international students to attend.
- Language of instruction is English (except for Arabic and Islamic Studies).
- Vice-Chancellor is Dr Abdullah Al Khanbashi.
Last update 10 March 2010
General comments - might not apply to UAE University Al Ain
- Fees, facilities, education quality varies widely. Allow extra fees for visa, transport, accommodation.
- Salaries, accommodation, other benefits for lecturer jobs vary substantially. Check contracts carefully for medical, housing, flight allowances, etc.
- Teaching in Al Ain and the UAE (mostly about schools but good for lecturers too)
|Universities||Abu Dhabi universities | Al Ain universities | Dubai universities | Ras Al Khaimah universities | Sharjah universities | UAE universities|
|MBAs||Abu Dhabi MBA | Dubai MBA | UAE MBA|
|Al Ain education||List of Al Ain universities | List of Al Ain colleges | List of Al Ain schools | List of UAE schools|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.