| Where is Dubai? | Public holidays | Dress code |
Abu Dhabi embassy list and directory
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
List of embassies and foreign diplomatic representations in Abu Dhabi, UAE
Abu Dhabi embassy list, with contact tel numbers, location, visa processing and other information. Many foreign embassies in Abu Dhabi are located in the Embassy District behind ADNEC. Other embassy areas include Al Bateen, Al Karamah, and Al Danah.
Embassy District Abu Dhabi list of embassies (Al Safarat)
Afghanistan, Algeria, Armenia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea (South, Republic of Korea, not North Korea which is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea), Lebanon, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand (International Tower, Capital Centre), Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar (Qatar Embassy closed in 2017), Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, US, USA, United States, Yemen.
Embassy opening hours, times, and days in UAE
- Embassies are usually open from Sundays to Thursdays (the normal working week in the UAE).
- Embassies are closed on Fridays, UAE public holidays, and usually the public holidays of the embassy's home country. Some embassies might be open on Saturdays but don't count on it.
- Opening times vary depending on embassy, and purpose of visit. Usually visa applications are accepted in the mornings (0800 or 0900 to 1100, 1200, or 1300), visa collections in the afternoons, and other business at random timings. See country notes below for more specific times.
- Most embassies operate some sort of queing system, especially for visa applications. Either arrive early and take a number, or pre-book an appointment. More and more embassies (and consulates in Dubai) are either requiring online booking for appointments, or using a 3rd party agency to do the initial visa paperwork processing. VFS Global is the most frequently used in the UAE.
Directory of embassies in Abu Dhabi UAE
|Afghanistan Embassy||+971-2-4472666||www.afghanembassy-uae.com||Dr Najibullah Mehdi||21 Dec 2010|
|Albania Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Bihar Bijko||location map||01 May 2012|
|Algeria Embassy||+971-2-4448949||Humaid Shubaira||30 Oct 2011|
|America Embassy||see US (USA)|
|Angola Embassy||Flavio Fonseca||27 Feb 2012|
|Argentina Embassyemail@example.com||Ruben Eduardo Caro||location map||14 Dec 2009|
|Armenia Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Gegham Gharibjanyan||Diplomatic Quarter (map)||24 Aug 2008|
|Australia Embassyemail@example.com||Mr Pablo Kang||Al Muhairy Center||07 Jan 2012|
|Austria Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Peter Elsner-Mackay||Reem Island||10 Sep 2012|
|Azerbaijan Embassy||Elkhan Gahramanov||11 Dec 2011|
|Bahrain Embassyemail@example.com||Mohammed Bin Hamad Saqr Al Moawada||05 Jan 2011|
|Bangladesh Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Mohammed Omran||location map||01 May 2012|
|Belarus Embassyemail@example.com||Roman Golovchenko||05 Jan 2011|
|Belgium Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Christian Tang||Masoud Twr, Hamdan St||21 Nov 2011|
|Belize Embassy||+971-2-6333554||05 Jan 2011|
|Benin Embassyemail@example.com||Isa Moussa Toure||05 Jan 2011|
|Bosnia & Herzegovinafirstname.lastname@example.org||Aleksandar Dragicevic||24 May 2012|
|Brazil Embassyemail@example.com||Joao de Mendonca Lima Neto||05 Jan 2011|
|British Embassy||see UK Embassy|
|Brunei Darussalamfirstname.lastname@example.org||Mohammad Yusra Saleh||05 Jan 2011|
|Cambodia1||Kim Long1||25 Mar 2011|
|Canada Embassyemail@example.com||Arif Lalani||27 Oct 2011|
|Chile Embassy||Jean Paul Tarud-Kuborn||location map||19 Oct 2011|
|China Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Chang Hua||25 Apr 2012|
|Colombia Embassy||Roberto V. Vallejo||31 Oct 2011|
|Comoro Islands||Zubair Ahmed Sufyan Al Ahdel||30 Jan 2012|
|Croatia||Closed?||See embassy in Cairo, Egypt|
|Cyprus Embassyemail@example.com||location map||08 Apr 2012|
|Czech Republic Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Jaroslav Ludva||City Bank Bldg, Corniche Plaza||05 Jan 2011|
|Denmark Embassy||Poul Hoiness||21 Dec 2010|
|Djibouti Embassy||Osman Mousa Drar||16 Nov 2011|
|Dominican Republic||Clara Martinez-Thedy||29 Feb 2012|
|Dutch - see Netherlands|
|Egypt Embassy||+971-2-4445566||Tamer Mansour||location map||05 Jan 2011|
|Eritrea Embassyemail@example.com||05 Jan 2011|
|European Union||Mihai Stuparu|
|Fiji Embassy||Ravindran Robin Nair||06 Jun 2012|
|Finland Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ilkka Pekka Simila||Al Masood Tower, Hamdan St||01 Nov 2011|
|France Embassyemail@example.com||Etihad Towers (map)||28 May 2013|
|Georgia1||Ekaterina Meiering-Mikadze1||31 Jan 2012|
|Georgia Embassy||19 May 2015|
|Germany Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Nikolai von Schoepff||Abu Dhabi Mall||12 Nov 2009|
|Greece Embassyemail@example.com||Dionisios Zois||location map||21 Apr 2012|
|Guatemala||Embassy opened 18 Nov 2019||Lars Henrik Pira Perez||18 Nov 2019|
|Guinea||+971-2-6735551||Al Husn Sawari||Al Najdah St||05 Jun 2012|
|Holland - see Netherlands|
|Hungary Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Zoltan Yanshi||05 Jan 2011|
|India Embassyemail@example.com||Pavan Kapoor||location map||18 Nov 2019|
|Indonesia Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Salman Al-Farsi||Al Bateen, (map)||01 May 2012|
|Iran Embassyemail@example.com||Dr Mohammed Redha Faidh Baksh||21 Dec 2010|
|Iraq Embassy||Muwafaq Mahdi Abboud||12 Oct 2011|
|Ireland Embassy||22 Mar 2011|
|Italy Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Giorgio Starace||Al Manaseer||21 Dec 2010|
|Ivory Coast1||Embassy in Saudi Arabia||Tori Vazoumana1||04 Jun 2012|
|Japan Embassyemail@example.com||Yoshihiko Kamo||location map||05 Jan 2011|
|Jordan Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Naif Fantoul Al-Zaidan||21 Dec 2010|
|Kazakhstan Embassyemail@example.com||Dr Askar Mussinov||Al Safarat area||19 Oct 2011|
|Kenya Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Kariuki Mugwe||Khalidiya||14 Nov 2019|
|Korean Embassy||see North Korea or South Korea|
|Kosovo||planned||14 Mar 2014|
|Kuwait Embassy||+971-2-4477146||Salah Baijan||08 Feb 2012|
|Kyrgyzstan Embassy||See Kyrgyz Consulate Dubai|
|Lebanon Embassyemail@example.com||Hassan Yousef Saad||05 Jan 2011|
|Lithuania||See Lithuanian Consulate Dubai||Dainius Junevicius||03 Apr 2012|
|Libya Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Dr Aref Ali Nayed||11 Oct 2011|
|Luxembourg Embassyemail@example.com||Nicole Bintner-Bakshian||Meena St||23 Dec 2011|
|Macedonia||No embassy, see Doha or Istanbul||03 Sep 2014|
|Malaysia Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ahmed Anwar Bin Adnan||05 Jan 2011|
|Maldives Embassy||Ahmed Rasheed||05 Jan 2012|
|Malta1||Frank P Galea1||25 Mar 2012|
|Mauritania Embassy||+971-2-4462724||Hamid Ould Ahmed Taleb||29 May 2011|
|Mexico Embassy||Francisco Alonso Escobar||29 Feb 2012|
|Moldova||No embassy, see Ankara, Turkey||see notes||03 Sep 2014|
|Morocco Embassyemail@example.com||Mohammed Ayet Ali (from Feb 2012)||05 Jan 2011|
|Netherlands Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Gerard Micheles||21 Dec 2010|
|Nepal Embassy||Dhananjay Jah|
|New Zealand Embassyemail@example.com||Matthew Hawkins||Int Twr, Capital Center||26 Oct 2019|
|North Korea||Consulate in Dubai? Not found.||No embassy in Abu Dhabi?||18 Dec 2013|
|Norway Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Sten Anders Berge||Masood Twr, Hamdan St||31 Jan 2011|
|Oman Embassyemail@example.com||Mohammad Bin Abdullah Bin Ali Al Qatbi||location map|
|Pakistan Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Jameel Ahmed Khan||21 Dec 2010|
|Palestine Embassyemail@example.com||Dr Khairi Al Aridi||05 Jan 2011|
|Peru||No embassy?||See Peru consulate in Dubai||Jaime Pomareda?||27 Apr 2012|
|Philippines Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Constancio R. Vingno, Jr||Al Qubaisat||31 Oct 2015|
|Poland Embassyemail@example.com||Adam Kachimovski||location map||05 Jan 2011|
|Portugal Embassy||Jimmy Van Zeller Laitau||11 Oct 2011|
|Qatar Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Faris bin Roumi Mohamed Al Nuaimi||05 Jan 2011|
|Romania Embassyemail@example.com||Adrian Macelaru||location map||02 Jan 2012|
|Russia Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Alexander Efimov||05 Feb 2012|
|Saudi Arabia Embassyemail@example.com||Ibrahim Bin Saad Albrahim||location map||05 Jan 2011|
|Senegal Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Abrahima Sory Sylla||Madinat Zayed?||05 Jan 2011|
|Serbian Embassy||+971-2-4476444||abudhabi.mfa.gov.rs||03 Sep 2014|
|Seychelles Embassy||Dick Patrick Esparon||11 Oct 2011|
|Singapore Embassy||Umej Singh Bhatia|
|Slovakia Embassy||see notes||www.mzv.sk/abudhabi||Dušan Horniak||31 Aug 2014|
|Slovakia Embassyemail@example.com||Peter Zsoldos||Madinat Zayed||closed 2004|
|Slovenia Embassy||see notes||abudhabi.embassy.si||11 Aug 2018|
|Somalia Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Abdul Qader Al Hatimi||13 Jun 2012|
|South Africaemail@example.com||Mpetjane Kgaogelo Lekgoro||Al Mushrif||05 Jan 2011|
|South Koreafirstname.lastname@example.org||Kwon Hae-Ryong||07 Jun 2010|
|Spain Embassyemail@example.com||Jose Eugenio Salarich||05 Jan 2011|
|Sri Lanka Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Dr Mahindra Balasuriya||05 Jan 2011|
|Sudan Embassy||+971-2-4446699||Ahmed Yousef Ahmad||05 Jan 2011|
|Swaziland Embassy||Ephraim Mandela Hlobi||21 Dec 2010|
|Sweden Embassyemail@example.com||Max Bjuhr||21 Dec 2010|
|Switzerland Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Andrea Reichlin||01 Mar 2008|
|Syria Embassy||+971-2-4448768||www.syrianembassy.ae||29 Nov 2011|
|Tanzania Embassyemail@example.com||Mbarouk Nassor Mbarouk||21 Sep 2014|
|Thailand Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Warawudh Chuwiruch||05 Jan 2011|
|Tunisia Embassyemail@example.com||Tariq Ba Tayyib||01 Nov 2011|
|Turkey Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||S. Vural Altay||24 Aug 2013|
|Turkmenistan Embassy||Orazumyrat Gurbannazarov|
|UK Embassyemail@example.com||Philip Parham (Jul 2014)||25 Apr 2014|
|Ukraine Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Yuriy Polurez||21 Dec 2010|
|Uganda Embassy||see notes||Irene Persis Wekiya||22 Oct 2009|
|US Embassyemail@example.com||Michael H. Corbin||location map||27 Jul 2011|
|Vatican City1||Archbishop Peter Rajic (Apostolic Nuncio)1||25 Mar 2012|
|Vietnam Embassy||Tchan Ngoc Thach||27 Feb 2012|
|Yemen Embassyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ahmed Ali Abdullah Saleh||location map||05 Jan 2011|
|Zimbabwe1||Mark Grey Maronjoy1||25 Mar 2012|
- Non-resident ambassador.
* location maps open in a new window.
Embassy notes, updates, and more details
- MFA - Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Albania - Embassy of the Republic of Albania in Abu Dhabi
- 01 May 2012 - new ambassador name reported as Bihar Bijko? Start date not supplied. Previous information said name was Behar Bejko?
- Information (last checked 01 May 2012):
- Postal address: PO Box 62069, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Tel: +971-2-6582505, fax: +971-2-6582705, email email@example.com
- Office hours: Sunday to Thursday 0900-1300
Embassy of Algeria
- Ambassador is Humaid Shbaira according to WAM news report 30 October 2011. Also seen written as Hamid Chebira, Hameed Shubeira.
- Telephone: +971-2-4448949. Previous information +971-2-4448943 (unknown if additional or out of date).
Armenian Embassy - Embassy of the Republic of Armenia
- 09 May 2012 - new Armenian ambassador to UAE is Gegham Gharibjanyan (WAM news 09 May 2012). Also written as Gegham Gharibjanian.
- 21 February 2012 - Armenian ambassador Vahagn Melikian reportedly leaving (WAM news). Name of replacement not supplied.
- Armenian Embassy moved to new location in the Embassy Area of Abu Dhabi in March 200
- 07 January 2012 - new ambassador announced - Mr Pablo Kang - replacing Mr Doug Trappett (ambassador to the UAE from September 2009 to January 2012). Mr Kang will also be non-resident ambassador to Qatar.
- 14 September 2009 - new ambassador announced - Mr Douglas Trappett. Previous ambassador was Mr Jeremy Bruer (from August 2005 to September 2009). Mr Trappett will also be Australia's ambassador to Qatar
- Australian Embassy new location date 10 May 2009 - Consular, Passports, and Administrative sections moved to the 8th Floor, Al Muhairy Centre, Sheikh Zayed the First Street, Abu Dhabi, new tel +971-2-4017500, new fax +971-2-4017501.
- 02 June 2005 - new ambassador announced - Mr Jeremy Bruer - with expected start date of duties in August 2005. He will replace Noel Campbell, ambassador from August 2002 to August 2005.
- Website for information at www.dfat.gov.au (Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) - www.dfat.gov.au/missions/countries/ae.html (last checked January 2012). Some sources give website location as orao.dfat.gov.au or www.orao.dfat.gov.au but no information found (might be out of date).
- Contact details (last checked January 2011):
- Postal address: Australian Embassy, PO Box 32711, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone: +971-2-6346100, fax: +971-2-6393225, email: firstname.lastname@example.org (information out of date as of January 2012?).
- Australian embassy in Abu Dhabi opening date in 2000.
Embassy of Austria
- 31 Oct 2012 (WAM) - Austrian ambassador reported as Peter Elsner-Mackay.
- 10 Sep 2012 - Austrian ambassador, Dr Julius Lauritsch (Julius Lauritch), reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- 05 Jan 2012 - updated contact details:
- Office 504, Floor 5, (5. Stock, Büro Nr. 504) Sky Tower, Reem Island, Abu Dhabi
- Postal address (Postanschrift): PO Box 35539, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Vereinigte Arabische Emirate)
- Telefon: +971-2-6944999, Telefax +971-2-6944988, email: email@example.com, website: www.aussenministerium.at/abudhabi (also www.bmeia.gv.at/botschaft/abu-dhabi.html, and www.auslandsoesterreicher.at).
- Opening hours (Parteienverkehr) Sun-Thu 0900-1200.
- 29 Mar 2011 - The Austrian Embassy in Abu Dhabi signed a 10-year lease to rent commercial office space in Sky Tower, in the Shams Gate District on Al Reem Island, a Sorouh Real Estate development. Details about whether the embassy intends to move there or not, or when, not supplied (press release).
- Contact details (last checked January 2011):
- Postal address: Australian Embassy, PO Box 3095, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone: +971-2-6766611, fax: +971-2-6715551, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.bmeia.gv.at. Different (or out-of-date) tel number: +971-2-6267755.
Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Full name of Ambassador is Aikhan Kahnger Oglu Qhermanov? Not confirmed (seen in report from Federation of UAE Chambers of Commerce & Industry, dated 21 February 2010). Also seen written as Elkhan Gahramanov or Elkhan Gahramano.
- Elkhan Jahangir Gahramanov appointment as ambassador to the UAE reported (APA Azerbaijan news 20 November 2009).
- Bahrain ambassador name also reported as Mohammed Bin Hamad Saqr Al-Ma'awda (WAM 07 Jul 2012).
Bangladesh - Embassy of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Bangladeshi ambassador reported as Mohammed Omran (previous ambassador was Mohammed Nazmul Quaunine?).
- Information supplied (last checked 01 May 2012):
- Ambassador name Mohammed Nazmul Quaunine
- Location: Villa 21, Plot W-14/01, Delma Street, Al Rowdha
- Postal address: PO Box 2504, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Tel: +971-2-4465100, fax: +971-2-4464733, email: email@example.com (or firstname.lastname@example.org?), website www.bdembassyuae.org (but not www.bdembassy.ae - only has a parking page).
- Opening hours: Sunday to Thursday 0800-1230 for document submissions, 1400-1545 for collection.
Belarusian Embassy (Embassy of the Republic of Belarus)
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Belarusian ambassador reported as Roman Golovchenko.
- 23 Feb 2012 (WAM) - Ambassador of Belarus reported as Alexander Semeshko. Also written as Alexander Simishko.
- Dec 1999 - Belarus opened a diplomatic mission in Abu Dhabi.
- 1992 - diplomatic relations first established between UAE and Belarus.
Embassy of Belgium
- 08 Oct 2012 (WAM) - new Belgian Ambassador to the UAE reported as Christian Tang. Name also seen written as Christian Tanghe.
- 27 Jun 2012 (WAM) - Belgium Ambassador, Mrs Anick Van Calster, reported as leaving. New name not supplied.
- 1975 - first Belgian ambassador to the UAE appointed (WAM 13 Apr 2013).
- 1973 - Diplomatic relations began between the UAE and Belgium with the opening of the Belgian Embassy in the UAE (in Abu Dhabi?). The UAE opened an embassy in Brussels in 1976 (WAM 13 Apr 2013).
- Opening hours (last checked 08 Jan 2012): Sun-Thu
- 0900-1130: visa applications and legalizations
- 1200-1500: Belgian administrative purposes (no visas) - registration, passports, ID-cards, attestations
- 1400-1500: Collection of visa, legalizations and passports.
- Contact and address information:
- Location - 6th floor, Al Masaood Tower, Hamdan Street, Abu Dhabi.
- Contact details: Tel: +971-2-6319449, fax +971-2-6319353, after hours emergencies only mobile +971-50-4413460, email email@example.com, website www.diplomatie.be/abudhabi
- Postal address: PO Box 3686, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Email contact also seen in some sources as firstname.lastname@example.org. Website information also at diplomatie.belgium.be.
- 08 Jul 2013 (WAM) Benin ambassador to the UAE reported as Isa Moussa Toure.
Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Contact details and location:
- Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina, PO Box 43362, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Tel: +971-2-6444164, fax: +971-2-6443619, email email@example.com, website www.bhmc.ae.
- Opening hours 0900-1300 Sunday to Thursday.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bosnia and Herzegovina (Ministarstvo vanjskih poslova BiH) - www.mvp.gov.ba or www.mfa.ba.
- 24 May 2012 - new ambassador announced as Aleksandar Dragicevic, but WAM news said he had been "appointed as the non resident Ambassador of Bosnia and Herzegovina to UAE." Unknown if that means the embassy has relocated to another country or not. The embassy website doesn't say it has closed, but then it also still lists the ambassador as Milutin Vasiljevic (he left in 2008) and says it was last updated 30 May 2007. The Bosnia and Herzegovina MFA website lists Aleksandar Dragicevic as the ambassador for the UAE (and Bahrain) and the embassy still appears to be open.
- 30 October 2011 - Ambassador is still Radomir Kosic according to WAM news report of a meeting with UAE Interior Minister Lt. General H.H. Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- 13 October 2011 - Ambassador Radomir Kosic (Radomir Kosice) reported as leaving (WAM news). Replacement name not supplied.
- 12 October 2008 - Ambassador Milutin Vasiljevic is leaving (WAM news report).
- 12 June 2005 - new ambassador is Milutin Vasiljevic (news reports).
- 2003-2005 Ambassador - Omer Nukic
- 2001-2003 Ambassador - Nusret Cancar
- 1994-2001 Charge d'Affaires - Salko Canic
- 1992-1994 Chef de Mission - Ibrahim Efendic
- 15 May 2012 - new ambassador reported as Joao de Mendonca Lima Neto (WAM).
- See United Kingdom (UK).
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Mohammad Yusra bin Hajj Mohammad Saleh.
- 25 March 2012 - non-resident ambassador reported as Kim Long (WAM news). No further details supplied regarding location, contact information, etc.
- 29 Jul 2013 - Canadian embassy diplomatic personnel and immigration officials, or Foreign Service Officers, have gone on strike over pay issues, resulting in delays for visa applications, and study, work, and residence permits for Canada.
- Some other Canadian embassies around the world also affected (Ankara, Beijing, Delhi, Islamabad, Kuwait, London, Mexico City, Moscow, Paris, Riyadh, and others), but not clear if the same has happened at the Canadian consulate in Dubai.
- No information on whether or not those staff who don't have diplomatic immunity have been arrested - strikes are illegal in the UAE as far as we know, but perhaps that law doesn't apply to embassies and consulates.
- Unknown how long the overworked and underpaid employees plan to stay away from their stamps and inkpads.
- It seems that the Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO), which is behind the walkout, appears to think it's all just a bit of entertainment, releasing a photo of the London walkout with strikers doing a Beatles Abbey Road impersonation. We doubt that all the stranded students, workers, and tourists also think it's so funny.
- In an interesting bit of irony, some Canadian peacekeepers in Israel or Palestine (wasn't clear from reports exactly where they were) have been stranded because of a strike by Israeli diplomats. A Canadian Press report said The strike at the Israel Foreign Ministry has meant replacements [peacekeepers], due to arrive this month, are not able to get the visas processed.
- 07 Oct 2012 (WAM) - new Canadian Ambassador to the UAE reported as Arif Lalani.
- 20 Sep 2012 (WAM) - Ambassador Kenneth Lewis (Ken Lewis) reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- See also information about UAE visa needed for Canadians as a result of the landing rights dispute.
- Diplomatic relations between UAE and Canada first established in 1974.
- Ambassador's name also reported as Jean-Paul Tarud.
China = People's Republic of China (PROC), and includes Hong Kong and Macau, but HK and Macau have different visa regulations. Apply for HK and Macau visas directly from HK or Macau immigration authorities, not at Chinese embassy.
Taiwan = Republic of China (ROC), and visas for Taiwan are not applied for at the Chinese Embassy, but from Taiwan Commercial Office in Dubai, or eVisa online.
- 03 Nov 2015 - Chinese ambassador reported as Chang Hua (WAM).
- 25 April 2012 - new Chinese ambassador to the UAE reported as Huang Jiemin (WAM).
- 26 March 2012 - new Chinese ambassador reported as presenting credentials to UAE President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, but ambassador name not supplied (WAM news).
- 07 Feb 2012 - Chinese ambassador, Gao Yusheng, reported as leaving, name of new ambassador not supplied (WAM news).
- http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/ziliao_665539/wjrw_665549/3607_665555/3609_665559/t18125.shtml, list of UAE ambassadors from Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 23 Mar 2013 (GN) - Ambassador name also reported as Roberto Belez and Roberto Velez. He is ambassador of Colombia to Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE.
Comoros (Comoro Islands)
- 30 Sep 2012 (WAM) - Ambassador name reported as Zubair Ahmed Sufian Al Ahdal. Also written as Zubair Ahmed Sufyan Al Ahdel.
- Croatian Embassy in Cairo, Egypt, is responsible for diplomatic relations with the UAE.
- There is also a Croatian Embassay in Doha, Qatar, but they are responsible for Kuwait and Oman, not the UAE, according to the Croatian MFA.
- Croatia MFA website at www.mvep.hr (not at www.mvp.hr, which might or might not forward to the correct site).
- [Check] There was a Croatian Embassy in Abu Dhabi ... or Consulate in Dubai?
- eg.mvep.hr - Croatian Embassy in Egypt website.
- qa.mvep.hr - Croatian Embassy in Qatar website.
- Applying for a Croatian visa in UAE:
- Email contact for Croation visa enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact the Croatian Embassy in Egypt. You will need to send your passport and application to them. The Croatian MFA says you must physically present yourself at the embassy to collect, or you can collect it from the embassy in Qatar since it's not so far to fly to from UAE, but confirm with them directly in case anything has changed.
- As of Jul 2015, the Croatian MFA said: "After the procedure is finished the applicant must personally come to collect the visa in Consular Department of Croatian Embassy in Cairo and bring his passport and original returned flight ticket OR in any Croatian Embassy or Consulate abroad after providing the Embassy with written request for this."
- In Doha, contact the VFS Global Visa Application Center, email email@example.com.
- Croatia is part of the EU but not part of the Schengen Zone (yet, Croatia started the application process on 01 Jul 2015 and is expected to join the Schengen area by the end of 2016 or beginning of 2017). However, if you have a multiple entry Schengen visa, or residence permit from a Schengen Zone country, then you can use it to enter Croatia. Note that you cannot use a single entry Schengen visa; if you have a double entry Schengen visa you can only use it if you have not already used it for a second entry somewhere else.
Cyprus - Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus
- 28 May 2013 - Cyprus ambassador Elpidoforos Economou reported as leaving (WAM). New name not supplied.
- 08 Apr 2012 - Mr Elpidoforos Economou reported as Cyprus Ambassador to UAE (WAM news).
- 26 Mar 2012 - new Cyprus ambassador reported as presenting credentials to UAE President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, but ambassador name not supplied (WAM news).
- 21 Feb 2012 - ambassador Costas A. Papademas reported as leaving (WAM news) (started in 2009?). Replacement name not supplied. Ambassador name also seen written as Costas Papadimas (WAM 17 October 2011).
- 02 Oct 2010 (press release) - a Cyprus visa center in Dubai was established by the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus in the UAE and VFS Global LLC, for visa applications from residents of Dubai and the Northern Emirates.
- Contact details - telephone +971-2-6654480, fax +971-2-6657870. Location off Al Khaleej Al Arabi Street (30th st) and Bateen St (11th st), near Abu Dhabi Secondary School, villa 426. Postal address PO Box 63013, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- 02 Nov 2009 - Cyprus Embassy in Abu Dhabi official opening date. Opening ceremony attended by Cyprus Minister of Foreign Affairs, Markos Kyprianou, and UAE Deputy Foreign Minister, Khaled Al Marri. Mr Kostas Papadimas appointed as Ambassador of Cyprus to the UAE.
- Cyprus Ministry of Foreign Affairs website www.mfa.gov.cy has information about Cyprus diplomatic missions to the UAE.
Embassy of the Czech Republic
- 12 Feb 2015: Official opening ceremony for new Czech Embassy in Marina Village. Czech ambassador is Alexander Sporys. The Czech President, Miloš Zeman, opened the new embassy while on a 3 day visit to the UAE, the first for a Czech President.
- [Old info] Ambassador is Mr Jaroslav Ludva according to Czech Embassy website (from 2010). Email address firstname.lastname@example.org also seen in some sources (unknown if valid).
- [Check] 1989: Czech Embassy first opened in Abu Dhabi?
- Non-resident ambassador to the Head of the European Commission (WAM report 26 March 2012).
European Union (EU Mission to the UAE)
- 14 Jun 2013 (WAM) - Head of EU Mission to the UAE announced as Mihai Stuparu (previously served as Romanian ambassador to Australia, NZ, Iraq, Qatar).
Fiji Embassy in the UAE
- 02 Sep 2012 (WAM) - opening announced of new Fiji Embassy in Abu Dhabi. Embassy located in Etihad Towers, level 13 of the commercial tower.
- 06 June 2012 - First Fiji ambassador to the UAE named as Ravindran Robin Nair (Rabindra Nair). Location and contact details of new embassy not supplied.
- 14 May 2012 - a Fijian embassy will open in Abu Dhabi in August 2012. News reports quoted Ratu Inoke Kubuabola, Fiji Foreign Affairs Minister, as saying "With the opening of the Fiji Embassy in Abu Dhabi, we look forward to further strengthening our relations with IRENA and also forge new partnership with Masdar City" while he was visiting the UAE.
- Fiji Ministry of Foreign Affairs website at www.foreignaffairs.gov.fj.
Embassy of Finland
- 01 November 2011 - Ambassador name updated to Ilkka Pekka Simila (WAM news), also reported as Ilkka Pekka Salmela. Previously was Matti Lassila.
- 21 January 2011 press release from Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs (MFA) about new Finnish Ambassadors - Counsellor for Foreign Affairs Ilkka-Pekka Similä as Head of the Finnish Embassy in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates as from 1 September 2011. Similä will move to Abu Dhabi from the Ministry's Department for External Economic Relations in which he has served as Head of Unit since 2007. Similä entered the Ministry in 1989 and has held positions in the Department for External Economic Relations, Political Department and Department for Development Cooperation. His career in the diplomatic service includes postings to the Embassies in Vienna and Cairo and Finland's Permanent Representation in Geneva, where he served as Head of the trade and economic sector in 2004–2007.
- Finnish Embassy in Abu Dhabi first opened in 2003? Also covers Bahrain and Qatar.
- Embassy statistics 24 March 2010: about 40 Finnish companies operating in the UAE, approximately 900 Finns live in the UAE, about 10,000 Finns holiday in the UAE during the winter season.
- Location and contact details:
- Location: Office 1202, 12th floor, Al Masaood Tower, Hamdan Street, Abu Dhabi
- Postal address: Embassy of Finland, PO Box 3634, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Tel: +971-2-632 8927, Fax: +971-2-632 5063, Emergency contact number: +358-9-1605 5551. Email address also seen as email@example.com.
- Office hours: Sun-Thu 8.00-15.45, Customer Service: Sun-Thu 9.00-12.00
French Embassy (La France aux Emirats Arabes Unis, Ambassade de France à Abou Dabi)
- 25 Dec 2013 (WAM) - French Ambassador to the UAE reported as Michel Miraillet. Previously was Alain Azouaou. Date new ambassador appointed not provided.
- 26 May 2013 (WAM) - new French Embassy in Etihad Towers opening announced. Opening ceremony attended by Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (UAE Foreign Minister) and Laurent Fabius (French Foreign Minister).
- 10 Jan 2012 - The French Embassy will move to Etihad Towers, occupying floors 27 and 28 (press release). Date of transfer and new contact details not supplied. Previous location on Hamdan Street.
- First established in Abu Dhabi in 1972?
- Some sources list website as www.mfe.org, which is for Maison des Francais de l'Etranger (MFE) and has French embassy information worldwide (in French). Website provided by the ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes (French Ministry of Foreign Affairs)?
- Contact details (last checked 29 May 2013):
- Tel +971-2-8131000, fax +971-2-4434158, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.ambafrance-eau.org.
- Old tel number +971-2-4435100 (unknown if still valid).
- Postal address: Embassy of France in Abu Dhabi (Ambassade de France), PO Box 4014, Abu Dhabi, Emirats Arabes Unis (EAU).
- Etihad Towers (levels 27 and 28), Corniche Rd W (opposite Emirates Palace Hotel), Abu Dhabi.
- Previously located on Delma St West near intersection of Delma St and Nahyan St (26th St), next to the Japanese Embassy (Manasir area) (old location map). Or in Masoud Tower on Hamdan St?
- French economic services (trade office?) in Abu Dhabi located in Suite 1103, Al Masaood Tower, on Hamdan St (5th St).
- Opening hours (last checked 29 May 2013):
- Diplomatic section 0900-1200 Sun-Thu. Also on Mon 1500-1700 by appointment only.
- Consular services 0900-1200 Sun-Thu, 1400-1530 on Mon only.
- Visa section passport delivery only from 1430-1500.
Georgian Embassy (Georgia the country in Caucasus Region, not the state in USA)
- As of Feb 2017, no Georgian mission exists in the UAE despite the news in May 2015, unless it does but with all relevant information is being kept secret from the public. Georgian and UAE MFA have no information about a UAE Mission, or even any plans to open one. The Georgian Embassy in Kuwait represents the UAE. Address and contact info (checked Feb 2017, ref Georgia MFA):
- Embassy of Georgia to the State of Kuwait, Accredited to United Arab Emirates (Kuwait City).
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary: Roland Beridze.
- Location: State of Kuwait, Kuwait City.
- Address: Qurtoba, Block 2, Street 1, Avenue 3, Villa 6.
- Tel: (+965) 25 35 29 09; Fax: (+965) 25 35 47 07.
- Email: email@example.com; website: www.kuwait.mfa.gov.ge.
- 19 May 2015 - Georgian embassy in Abu Dhabi and consulate in Dubai announced as "opened" (ref Georgian Prime Minister's Press Office). Location, contact details, CG, and Ambassador names not provided.
- 31 Jan 2012 - WAM reported the Georgian Ambassador to GCC countries as Ekaterina Meiering-Mikadze.
- uae.mfa.gov.ge - possibly website for Georgian Mission in UAE if or when it opens.
Visa applications to visit Georgia
- Apply online for e-visa, but most or all nationalities with a UAE residence visa can get a VOA for Georgia (only for airport arrivals?). See Georgia section on Dubai consulates page for more information.
German Embassy - Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Abu Dhabi
- 02 April 2012 - German Ambassador to the UAE reported as Nikolai von Schoepff. Previously was Klaus-Peter Brandes (date of change not supplied).
Greek Embassy - Embassy of the Hellenic Republic in the United Arab Emirates
- 12 Mar 2012 - Greek ambassador to UAE reported as Dionisios Zois (WAM). Previous ambassador was Panagiotis Theodorakopoulos?
- Location: Villa #1, Plot No. 141, Sector E48, 31st St, Al Muroor, near Bateen Airport (?), Abu Dhabi. Postal address: PO Box 5483, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Contact details: tel +971-2-4492550, fax +971-2-4492455, email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com (some sources have heirpuae@eim but that appears to be a typo). Dedicated website not supplied or found, but Greece Ministry of Foreign Affairs website has Abu Dhabi Embassy information at www.mfa.gr/abu.
- Consular section in Abu Dhabi tel +971-2-4493119, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emergency mobile number +971-50-3901820 (for emergencies only, not for general enquiries).
[Content moved] Guatemalan embassy in Abu Dhabi.
Guinean Embassy (Embassy of the Republic of Guinea) (Ghenya Embassy?)
- 05 Jun 2012 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Al Husn Sawari.
- Contact details and other information (last checked 05 June 2012):
- Location: Office 404, Al Safa building, Al Najdah Street, Abu Dhabi (UAE MOFA information). Other sources say Villa 19, Al Falah Street (Old Passport Road), Al Tabbiyah, Abu Dhabi (behind Majestic Dental Clinic)?
- Postal address: PO Box 93558, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone +971-2-6735551, fax +971-2-6735558 according to UAE MOFA information. Other sources list telephone +971-2-6653166 and fax +971-2-6652531 (not confirmed).
- Email address according to some sources is email@example.com (UAE MOFA information) but not confirmed (might not be an official address given that it's a Yahoo! email address). Other sources list firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Guinea (Ministère Affaires Etrangères Guinée) website was www.mae.gov.gn. Not available 05 June 2012.
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Hungarian ambassador reported as Zoltan Yanshi (Zoltan Jansci).
- 13 May 2013 (WAM) - Hungarian ambassador, Yanoosh Ghontsi (Janos Gyuris?), reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
Indian Embassy, Embassy of India
[Content moved] Indian embassy in Abu Dhabi.
Indonesian Embassy - Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
- 01 May 2012 - new Indonesian ambassador reported as Salman Al-Farsi (WAM) (also reported as Salman Al Farisi). Previous ambassador was Mohammed Wahid Supriyadi.
- Information (last checked 01 May 2012):
- Location: Villa 474, Sector 79, Zone 2, Sultan Bin Zayed Street (32nd St), Al Bateen Area
- Postal address PO Box 7256, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Phone: +971-2-4454448, fax +971-2-4455453, email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, (new) website abudhabi.kemlu.go.id
- Opening hours Sunday to Thursday 0900-1300
- Website domains www.indonesianembassy.ae and www.indoemb.org (or www.indoemb.org/kbri) seen in some sources, but neither has a website available (last checked January 2012).
- Additional email address email@example.com might be available.
Iranian Embassy - Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Ambassador name also seen written as Mohammad Reza Fayyad (WAM 07 March 2012). Or Dr Mohammed Ali Fayaz (WAM 16 April 2012). Or Mohammad Redha Fayad (WAM 29 Jul 2012).
- Iran embassy Abu Dhabi contact details and information (not confirmed):
- Tel +971-2-4447618, fax +971-2-4448714 (?), email address firstname.lastname@example.org (or email@example.com?), Iran MFA email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Postal address PO Box 4080 Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Iran embassy website
- abudhabi.mfa.gov.ir - Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs section for Abu Dhabi embassy.
- www.iranconsul.ae - is for the Iranian consulate in Dubai. Try this site if no other Iranian embassy in Abu Dhabi website found.
- www.iranembassy.ae - not available (last checked 01 Sep 2013).
- www.iranembassy.org.ae - no longer available, was available until 2007? Last checked 01 Sep 2013.
- www.iranembassy.com - unknown (not available when last checked - 01 Sep 2013).
- www.iranembassy.org - seen in some sources is not the Iran embassy website, it redirects to a website that claims to process visas online. Unknown if they are legitimate or not, we'd suggest making independent enquiries or contact the Iranian embassy directly (any organisation or website that uses domain forwarding in that manner looks suspicious to us) (last checked 01 Sep 2013).
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Iraqi ambassador reported as Muwafaq Mahdi Abboud (Mowafak Mahdi Abboud, Muwaffaq Mehdi Abboud).
- 04 Jan 2012 (WAM) - Ambassador name reported as Arshad Tawfiq AlMosli (Al Mosli). Also reported as Arshad Tawfiq Ismael Al-Muselli (WAM 11 June 2012).
- 30 Oct 2011 - Ambassador name reported as Arshad Tawfiq Al Mawsily (previous reports said Arshad Ismael Al Musalli).
Ireland - Irish Embassy
- 29 Jul 2013 (WAM) - Ambassador Mr Kieran Madden (Ciarán Madden) reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- Italian Embassy new ambassador Giorgio Starace (WAM news 21 December 2010). Replaced Paolo Dionisi, appointed in 2006 as Ambassador to UAE in Abu Dhabi, appointed in September 2010 as Ambassador to Oman in Muscat.
- Website domain www.italianembassy.org.ae seen listed in some sources, but not available.
- Location and contact details (last checked 08 January 2012):
- Postal address: Embassy of Italy in Abu Dhabi, PO Box 46752, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Location: Villa 438/439, 26th Street, Al Manaseer Area, Abu Dhabi.
- Telephone: +971-2-4435622, fax +971-2-4434337 or +971-2-4453673, emergency mobile phone (emergencies only): +971-50-8180780, email: email@example.com, website information: www.ambabudhabi.esteri.it/Ambasciata_AbuDhabi
- Opening hours: 0800-1600 Sunday to Thursday. Consular section for Schengen visa applications in Abu Dhabi opening times 0900-1200 Sun to Thu but phone ahead first to make an appointment.
Ivory Coast (Cote d’Ivoire)
- 04 June 2012 (WAM) - non-resident ambassador to the UAE announced as Tori Vazoumana (Toure Vazoumana). Announced as new ambassador to Saudi Arabia in August 2011? Previous ambassador was Hamza Sallah Ben A. Kader.
- Ivory Coast embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia represents UAE interests. Details are:
- Address: Abdul Rahman Al Tabichi, Villa 10, Al Mouhamadia. Postal address: PO Box 94303, Riyadh 11693, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)
- Telephone: +9661-4825582, fax: +9661-4829626, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.ambaci-riyadh.org.
- Ivory Coast Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministère des Affaires Etrangères de la Côte d'Ivoire) website at www.diplomatie.gouv.ci (some sources list www.mae.ci but not available when checked).
Japanese Embassy in Abu Dhabi
- 07 Nov 2012 (WAM) - new Japanese ambassador to the UAE reported as Yoshihiko Kamo.
- 08 Jul 2012 (WAM) - ambassador Tatsuo Watanabe reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- 1974 - Japanese embassy opened in Abu Dhabi.
- 1971 - diplomatic relations between Japan and the UAE first established in 1971.
- Contact details and other information:
- Location: Corner of 11th and 26th streets, next to the French Embassy (old location).
- Postal address: Embassy of Japan in the United Arab Emirates, PO Box 2430, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Tel: +971-2-4435696, fax: +971-2-4434219, email: email@example.com, emergency out of hours mobile contact numbers +971-50-6424127 for Japanese citizens, +971-50-6677583 for general out of hours emergencies.
- Office hours 0800-1600 Sunday to Thursday.
- Website at www.uae.emb-japan.go.jp. Domain www.japanembassyauh.ae has no information. Domain www.japanembassyauh.com is spam, not the embassy website. Email address firstname.lastname@example.org seen in some sources is not valid.
- Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website at www.mofa.go.jp.
- Visas for Japan:
- Residents of Abu Dhabi emirate (includes Al Ain and the Western Region) should apply to the UAE Japanese Embassy (in AUH) if a Japanese visas is needed. Residents of the other emirates should apply to the UAE Japanese Consulate (in DXB). Emirati citizens should probably apply to the embassy or consulate based on where they live also, but DXB consulate information is not entirely clear - it might be possible that UAE Nationals can apply to embassy or consulate irrespective of where they live.
- 07 Oct 2013 - a press release from the Japanese consulate in Dubai said that UAE Citizens applying for short term Japanese visas would, from 15 Oct 2013, be given a 3 year multiple entry visa with maximum permitted stay of 90 days for any single trip. Unclear from press release when (or if) this new rule would apply to visas issued by the Abu Dhabi embassy.
- Ambassador is Naif Fantoul Al-Zaidan. Name also seen written as Nayef Fantoul (WAM 13 Aug 2012), Nayef Al Zaidan.
Embassy of Kazakhstan in Abu Dhabi (The Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan to UAE)
- Contact details: Telephone +971-2-4498778, fax +971-2-4498775, email email@example.com, website domain www.kazembemirates.net.
- Location: 593 Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum Street (2nd Street), Al Safaraat District, Abu Dhabi.
- Opening hours 0800-1500 Sunday to Thursday.
- Opened in September 2006. Dr Askar Mussinov appointed as Ambassador to the UAE from 2002 to 2006 (resident in Saudi Arabia), moved to Abu Dhabi in 2006..
- Also serves as the Kazakh Embassy to the Republic of South Africa, since April 2009?
Kenya: Embassy of the Republic of Kenya in UAE
14 November 2019
- New Kenyan ambassador to the UAE is Kariuki Mugwe (ref WAM, MOFAIC). He was Consul General in Dubai before moving to Abu Dhabi (or there are two Kenyan diplomats in the UAE with the name Kariuki Mugwe).
- [Check] Contact information and location
- Ref www.kenyaembassy.ae/contactus.aspx (26 Jul 2017, offline after that):
- Location: Al Manhal / Falah Street No. 9, behind Diabetes Centre, Khalidiya. PO Box 3854, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tel: +971-2-6666300. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Timings: Consular Hours: 0900-1300. Business Hours: 0830-1500.
- Ref Kenyan MOFA: www.mfa.go.ke/?page_id=179 (same as 2011 information).
- Location: Al Manhal (Falah Street) No. 9, behind Diabetes Center, Khalidiya, Abu Dhabi. Postal address: PO Box 3854, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tel: +971-2-6666300, fax: +971-2-6652827, emails: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Website: www.kenyaembassy.ae, email@example.com
- Ref UAE MOFAIC
- Location given as: Abu Dhabi - Ras Al Khaimah Area - Villa No. 11/1, Khalifah Bin Shakhabout Street 28, Sector 55. Zone 2. Street 1 (Kenya embassy). Which looks odd, there isn't a "Ras Al Khaimah Area" in Abu Dhabi. It's probably something like: Villa No. 11/1, Street 1, Sector 55, Zone 2, off Khalifa Bin Shakhbout Street (28th Street).
- Contact numbers and other information the same.
- Google says Villa No.12, 26th St, opposite. Khalifa Award for Education, Al Rowdah. Unknown what original source is.
- Ref www.kenyaembassy.ae/contactus.aspx (26 Jul 2017, offline after that):
13 December 2011
- Ambassador Mohamed Abdi Gello name also seen written as Mohammed Abdi Jillo.
- Official website is www.kenyaembassy.ae. Website domain www.kenyaembassy-uae.org seen in some sources is spam, not the embassy website. It forwards to ww21.kenyaembassy-uae.org which is also spam.
- Contact details and location (last checked 15 January 2012):
- Kenya Embassy, PO Box 3854, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Al Manhal or Al Falah Street No. 9, behind the New Blood Bank, Khalidia, Abu Dhabi.
- Tel: +971-2-6666300, fax: +971-2-6652827, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: consular services 0900-1300, business timings 0830-1500
- See either South Korea (embassy in Abu Dhabi and consulate in Dubai) or North Korea (but no diplomatic representation in the UAE - last searched for 18 Dec 2013).
- 13 Mar 2014: Agreement signed in Pristina between UAE and Kosovo to open embassies in each other's country. Timeline not provided (WAM 14 Mar 2014).
Kuwait - Embassy of the State of Kuwait
- Telephone +971-2-4477146, opening hours 0830-1430, ambassador name Salah Baijan, according to Kuwait MOFA website (www.mofa.gov.kw).
- Some sources have additional telephone +971-2-4446888, and fax number +971-2-4477675.
- Location is Airport Road?
Latvia (Republic of Latvia)
- 11 Mar 2012 - Non-resident ambassador reported as Mars Silja (WAM news). Name also seen written as Maris Selga.
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Lebanese ambassador to the UAE reported as Hassan Yousef Saad.
Embassy of Libya
- 25 Jul 2013 (WAM) - Acting Charge d'affaires reported as Dr Idris Ali.
- 11 Oct 2011 (WAM news) - New Ambassador Dr Aref Ali Nayed. Previous Ambassador was Omar Mansour Mohammed Ghannai.
- 03 April 2012 - new (?) non-resident ambassador reported as Dainius Junevicius (WAM).
- Lithuanian Consulate opened in Dubai in 1995. No Lithuanian embassy in Abu Dhabi?
- Diplomatic relations between the UAE and Lithuania established 16 October 1992.
Embassy of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- 03 Nov 2015, ambassador reported as Nicole Bintner-Bakshian (WAM).
- Ambassador Georges Faber, started when?
- 23 December 2011 - contact details updated.
- Location: Suite 1001, Silver Wave Tower, Meena Street, Abu Dhabi
- Postal address: PO Box 44909 Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone: +971-2-4912446, Fax: +971-2-4912289, email: email@example.com
- Website domain - abudhabi.mae.lu
- Opening hours: 0800-1600, Sunday to Thursday?
- 21 November 2011 (WAM news) - New Luxembourg Embassy, and Trade & Investment Office of Luxembourg in the UAE opened in Abu Dhabi. It is the first and only Luxemburg embassy in the UAE, Gulf, and Arab region. Opening ceremony held at the Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi. Ambassador name, embassy location and opening hours, contact details not supplied.
- 18 Dec 2012 (WAM) - new Malaysian ambassador reported as Ahmed Anwar Bin Adnan.
- 21 Dec 2011 (WAM) - departure of Malaysian ambassador to the UAE, Yahya Bin Abdul Jabbar. New ambassador name not supplied.
- Website also at kln.gov.my?
- 05 Jun 2012 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Ahmad Rasheed (Ahmed Rashid?). Start date not supplied. New embassy in Abu Dhabi? Contact details and location not supplied. No information found on Maldives MOFA website or UAE MOFA website.
- 05 Jan 2012 - press release said President Mohamed Nasheed has appointed Mr Ahmed Rasheed as the Ambassador of the Maldives to UAE. Website not supplied or found (www.maldivesembassy.ae not available).
- Republic of Maldives Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) website at www.foreign.gov.mv.
Malta Embassy in Abu Dhabi
- 25 March 2012 - non-resident ambassador reported as Frank P Galea (WAM news). No further details supplied regarding location, contact information, etc.
Mauritanian Embassy (Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania)
- 29 May 2011 (WAM) - Mauritanian Ambassador to the UAE is Hamid Ould Ahmed Taleb. Previous Ambassador was Weld Ebrahim Khalil?
- Contact details and other information:
- Postal address: PO Box 2714, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone +971-2-4462724, fax +971-2-4465772
- No embassy or consulate in the UAE.
- www.mfa.gov.md/bilateral-cooperation-en/5874_ae/ - Moldovan MFA information. See also foreign embassies in UAE page.
Mexican Embassy in UAE
- 29 February 2012 - new Mexican ambassador reported as Francisco Alonso Escobar.
- 2011 - Mexican embassy opened in the UAE.
- The diplomatic relations between UAE and Mexico are characterised by balance and development. UAE opened its embassy in Mexico in 2010 and Mexico opened its embassy in UAE in 2011.
Moroccan Embassy (Kingdom of Morocco)
- 07 Feb 2012 - new Moroccan ambassador to the UAE reported as Ayet Ali, date of appointment not supplied (WAM news). Name also seen written as Mohammed Ayet Ouali (WAM 16 Feb 2012), Mohamed Ait Ouali (WAM 05 Mar 2012), Mohammed Ayat (WAM 04 Jun 2012), Muhammad Ayat Wa Ali, Mohamed Ait Ali.
- Contact information: Postal address PO Box 4066, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Telephone +971-2-4433973, fax +971-2-4433917, email firstname.lastname@example.org (also or previously email@example.com). Additional tel +971-2-4433963?
- Location: corner 13th St (Delma St) and King Khalid Abdulaziz St (map). Or 26th avenue (Al Nahyan Street), Al Manasereen area (website)?
- Website at www.moroccan-emb.com. Domain www.moroccan-emb.ae has limited content, domain www.moroccan-umb.ae seen in some sources appears to be incorrect.
- 22 May 2012 - new ambassador reported as Dhananjay Jah (WAM). Name also seen written as Dhananjay Jha.
- 30 January 2012 - Ambassador Argon Bahadore Thaba reported as leaving (WAM news). Ambassador's name also written as Arjun Bahadur Thapa?
Netherlands Embassy (Holland) (NL)
- 21 Dec 2012 - NL Ambassador to the UAE is Gerard Micheles (also seen written as Gerard Michels).
- 09 Aug 2012 (WAM) - NL Ambassador, Gilles Beschoor Plug, reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
New Zealand Embassy in Abu Dhabi
- [When?] New location and contact information (updated Oct 2019):
- Location: Office 2503, International Tower, Capital Centre, Abu Dhabi. Country is a peculiar name, NZTE calls it the "United Emirates Republic".
- Phone: +971-2-4963333, fax: +971-2-4963300. Office timings: Sun-Thu 0830-1600, closed Fri-Sat.
- Postal address: New Zealand Embassy, PO Box 62292, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NZ embassy in Abu Dhabi also accredited to Qatar.
- FB page at www.facebook.com/nzembassyuae/ (started 20 Dec 2015). If you're a kiwifruit reading this, there's a NZers in Dubai FB group page at www.facebook.com/KiwisInDubai/ with lots of rugby related posts, although it went a bit quiet in Oct 2019.
- Website www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/middle-east/dubai/new-zealand-embassy/. Ahem, "/dubai/"? Dubai is not a country in the Middle East. Dubai is a city in the UAE. The rest of the MFAT website geography seems ok, they even managed to get an -sar- in the Hong Kong url to keep the Chinese happy.
- 18 October 2018: New ambassador to the UAE announced: Matthew Hawkins.
- [No longer valid] 20 September 2011 update: NZ Embassy in Abu Dhabi location and contact details (email supplied):
- Street Address: C6 Tower, First Floor, Bainuna Street 34, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone: +971-2-4069891 (after hours mobile: +971-50-4757916), fax: +971-2-4069888, email: email@example.com
- Office hours: Sunday to Thursday 0830-1230, 1300-1630 hours
- Notarial services: Monday and Wednesday 0900-1200 hours (by appointment only)
- Website: www.safetravel.govt.nz/destinations/uae.shtml
- 05 April 2011 update: In a speech to the New Zealand Institute of International Affairs, Murray McCully (NZ Minister for Minster of Foreign Affairs, Minister for Sport and Recreation, and Minister for the Rugby World Cup) said "Two weeks ago we opened a new post in Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates," but no further information about contact details supplied or found (checked MFAT website at www.mfat.govt.nz).
- 11 March 2011: the NZ Embassy in Abu Dhabi hadn't opened yet but an Ambassador, Malcolm Millar (not Miller), was announced.
19 July 2010 press release
- New Zealand Embassy in Abu Dhabi planned opening date January 2011.
- There is already a NZ Consulate in Dubai, sharing a location with the New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE), and Immigration New Zealand offices.
- The New Zealand mission in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia is accredited to the United Arab Emirates. Details are:
- New Zealand Embassy of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, located in the Diplomatic Quarter of Riyadh.
- Postal Address: PO Box 94 397, Riyadh 11693, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)
- Telephone: +966-1-4887988, fax: +966-1-4887912 or +966-1-4887911
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.nzembassy.com/saudi-arabia.
- Office hours: Sat-Wed 0900-1200 and 1230-1500 hrs.
- 02 Jul 2012 (WAM) - Nigerian Ambassador to the UAE reported as Ibrahim Auwalu. Start date, contact details, location, etc not supplied.
North Korea - Democratic People's Republic of Korea embassy in Abu Dhabi (DPK or DPRK)
- North Korean embassy in Abu Dhabi not found. No North Korean diplomatic representation in the UAE according to UAE MOFA information. DPK MOFA information not provided. Last checked 18 Dec 2013.
Norwegian Embassy in Abu Dhabi
- 22 Dec 2013 (WAM) - Norwegian Ambassador is Sten Anders Berge. Previously was Ase Elin Bjerke, date of change not supplied.
Oman visas - this information not confirmed, check with Oman authorities to verify. The Royal Oman Police website for example (has a list of professions for GCC residents who can obtain visas without needing a sponsor in Oman) (www.rop.gov.om).
- Oman visa on arrival - available at borders (airport, road, land) for the following nationalities (visa valid for 10 days, 30 days, or one year multiple-entry) (last checked 31 May 2013):
- Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei (Brunei Darussalam), Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand (NZ), Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, (RSA), South Korea, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom (UK), United States of America (USA) (US), Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela.
- Nationals or citizens of GCC (AGCC) countries do not need an Omani visa to enter Oman.
- Nationals of other countries need to obtain an Omani visa before traveling, and possibly a sponsor.
- Nationals of other countries who live (legally - have a residence visa) in a GCC country can obtain an Omani tourist visa without needing a sponsor but there might be restrictions on profession - check with an official source before assuming you can. Usually degree holders can obtain a vias at the border crossing, and some non-degree holder professions can also. Sponsored family members traveling together should be able to obtain a visa at the border also if the sponsor is allowed to get a visa at the border. If not sure, go to Oman embassy or consulate and get a visa issued (it shouldn't take more than a day or two) - a sponsor is probably not needed in most cases, except perhaps unskilled labour and similar professions.
- Tourists visiting Dubai (only from certain countries) can enter Oman and get a visa at the border crossing (only at Hatta by road at the Al Wajaja border crossing or Muscat airport, maybe at Dibba or Ras Al Khaimah to Musandam but try and confirm before going) under a joint Oman-Dubai tourism initiative (Common visa facility with the emirate of Dubai). The visa is valid for 3 weeks, can be extended 1 week, is free of charge. List of nationalities is (last checked 30 May 2013) Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Macedonia, Malaysia, Moldova, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, South Korea, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, Ukraine, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela. Unknown how up to date this information is. Appears to apply only to tourists who get a Dubai visa, not for other emirates in the UAE. Note that the time you spend in Oman is not additional to your Dubai visa time, it is included e.g. if you have a one month tourist visa for Dubai and spend two weeks in Oman, then you can only spend two weeks in Dubai, not one month (at least, that's how we understand it).
- Fees (last checked 30 May 2013) are 5 or 6 Omani Riyals (OMR) for one month visas, OMR 20 for 3 month visas, OMR 10 or 50 for one year multi-entry visas (information not clear). Overstaying fines are OMR 10 per day. Confirm fees with an official source, don't take our word for it.
- Oman travel restrictions at Dibba border crossing (Jun 2013) - there were reports that UAE tourists or residents or both, especially females, had to provide an NOC (Letter of No Objection or No Objection Certificate) from their sponsors to enter Oman at the Dibba border crossing - where many people go to visit the Musandam peninsula (unknown if the same thing was happening on the Ras Al Khaimah side of the Musandam), especially on commerical tours. An update on 20 Jun 2013 reported in Emirates 24-7 said that this letter was no longer required according to Omani authorities - "The Dibba Police Port Border Point does only check if, within the passport, a visit visa or resident visa is issued. There is no request of a letter for the concerned person to be shown, as no immigration is present at the border point. Police let the tourists or residents pass," the Dibba Police Port said in a statement to Emirates 24|7.
- 23 Feb 2011 (Gulf News) - Additional 6 counters for passport and ID card processing to open at the Abu Dhabi embassy, and another 6 at the consulate in Dubai. Ambassador Jamil Ahmed Khan was quoted as saying "Whoever misbehaves with the people, irrespective of the procedural matters, will be sent home immediately," referring to reports of complaints about misbehaviour on the part of mission staff.
- Pakistani citizens holding handwritten passports need to obtain machine-readable passports before any UAE visas will be issued to them.
- 03 Oct 2013 (WAM): Palestinian Ambassador or Consul-General reported as "... Ambassador Issam Massalha, Consul-General of Palestine ...", not clear if he is based in Abu Dhabi as Ambassador or Dubai as CG. Current Palestinian ambassador in Abu Dhabi is Dr Khairi Al Aridi unless there has been a change (information not supplied).
- 20 Feb 2012 (WAM): Palestinian ambassador to the UAE reported as Dr Khairi Al Aridi. Previous information was Khaled Malak (date of change unknown).
- 03 May 2010 (WAM): New Palestinian embassy building opened in Abu Dhabi, by Mahmoud Abbas, President of Palestine.
- Email address seen in some sources is email@example.com but not confirmed (a Hotmail address for an embassy looks a bit dubious).
- Website domain apparently www.palestineembassy.ae but is not available. Try Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website at www.mofa.pna.ps (Arabic only), maybe this page - www.mofa.pna.ps/ar/index.php?p=60?
- Location (new, May 2010): Behind Abu Dhabi Refreshment Company (PepsiCo), Al Safarat embassies area. Old location was in Al Karamah?
Peru - no embassy?
- 27 April 2012 - Peruvian Ambassador to UAE reported as Jaime Pomareda (WAM news) but no Peruvian embassy in Abu Dhabi as far as we know (nothing listed on the Peru Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, only the Peru consulate in Dubai - Consulado General del Perú en Dubai).
Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi
- Dress properly when visiting the embassy, they have dress code advice which says don't wear "... sandos, slippers, shorts, and other inappropriate attire".
- For passport release, check AUH Philippine website (abudhabipe.dfa.gov.ph/passport-for-release) for published lists of passports ready for collection. No appointment necessary, timings Sun-Thu 0800-1700. Bring old passport and receipt. Someone else can collect but only first degree family member, they must bring ID and copy, and authorisation letter.
- 28 Oct 2015 - new ambassador, Constancio R. Vingno, Jr., replaces Grace Relucio Princesa.
- 01 Jun 2014 - embassy opens in new location near Mushrif Mall, on Street 8 off Al Dhafra St (25th St).
- 07 Jul 2010 - Ambassador name reported as Grace Relucio Princesa. Previously was Libran N. Cabactulan?
- Opening times 0800-1200 and 1300-1700, Sun-Thu. Closed for lunch 12pm-1pm, closed Fri and Sat.
- Contact information:
- Websites at abudhabipe.dfa.gov.ph and www.philembassy.ae look different but appear to have the same information. First one is the Philippines Department of Foreign Affairs URL so looks more official. Second one is not a hoax, scam, or phishing website as far as we can tell.
- Updated phone number +971-2-6390006. Previously +971-2-6415922, +971-2-6415944, +971-2-6413212.
- Additional numbers for emergencies, domestic servants and maids, police, labour, court related issues on website contact page (see www.philembassy.ae > Contact Us).
- Fax number (new) +971-2-6390002. Previously +971-2-6412559.
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Previous emails, unknown if still valid: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New (from 01 Jun 2014): Street 8, Sector W48 (Plot 51, Sector [4?] 2-23), Al Qubaisat. Near Mushrif Mall. By public transport, bus routes 32, 44, or 52 to Mushrif Mall and walk from there. Or use bus route 34 or 53, and exit on 27th Street after bus turns left from Al Khaleej Al Arabi Street (30th St). See abudhabipe.dfa.gov.ph > Contact Us for map and more information.
- 2010 Sep 01 to 2014 May 31: Villa 8, Street 8, Sector 94, Zone 2, Al Bateen, Abu Dhabi.
- 2005 Sep: Villa 2, Street 5, Plot 97, E-18/02 (Sector E18, Zone 02), Madinat Zayed, downtown Abu Dhabi. Behind Al Falah Plaza.
- 2002 Sep: corner of 10th and 11th Streets, Madinat Zayed area.
- 1995 Jun: Najda Street, villa nos (?), also Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO).
- [date?]: Embassy relocated to Al Saman Tower (Banque IndoSuez Building).
- 1987: Embassy moved to Abu Tower [building name Abu Dhabi Tower?], Hamdan Street.
- 17 Jun 1980, Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi officially opened, location Janana Building, Electra Street, Khalidiya.
- Before 1980, Philippine interests in the UAE represented by the Philippine Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Postal address: PO Box 3215, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Philippine Ambassadors to the UAE (ref: AUH Philippine Embassy)
- 2015 Oct 28 to ... : Constancio R. Vingno, Jr.
- 2009 Oct 24 to 2015 Oct 24: Grace Relucio Princesa
- 2003 Dec 07 to 2009 Aug 03: Libran N. Cabactulan
- 1998 Nov 27 to 2003 May 31: Amable R. Aguiluz III
- 1994 Aug 30 to 1998 Feb 08: Roy V. Señeres
- 1989 Aug 01 to 1994 Jul 30: Fortunato D. Oblena
- 1986 Oct 20 to 1989 Aug 20: Isabelo J. Astraquillo
- 1980 Jun 17 to ???: Head of mission was Consul Alberto A. Encomienda, Charge d’ Affaires, a.i. (ad interim).
Poland - Polish Embassy in Abu Dhabi
- 02 Apr 2012 - Ambassador name also reported as Adam Krzymowsk, A. Krzymowski (18 June 2012).
- Website also at plembassy.gov.ae?
- 06 Oct 2011 - new Ambassador, Jimmy Van Zeller Laitau, reported (WAM news). New embassy?
- 24 Nov 2013 (WAM) - new Qatari ambassador to the UAE announced as Faris bin Roumi Mohammed Al Nuaimi (Fares bin Rumi Al Nuaimi).
- 21 Oct 2013 (WAM) - Ambassador Abdullah Bin Mohamed Al Othman reported as leaving. New ambassador name not provided.
- 13 Feb 2012 (WAM) - Qatari Ambassador reported as Abdullah Bin Mohammed Al Othman.
- 07 Nov 2012 (WAM) - new Romanian ambassador to the UAE reported as Adrian Macelaru.
- 01 Oct 2012 (WAM) - Ambassador is still Nicolai Juya.
- 02 Jan 2012 (WAM) - Ambassador Niculaie Goia reported as leaving. Name also written as Nicolai Juya (WAM 04 Jan 2012), Nikolai Joya (WAM 30 Jan 2012). New ambassador information not supplied.
- Romanian Embassy in Abu Dhabi contact details:
- Location: 2nd Str, Villa No. 9, Al Rodha Area (Al Rowdha),
- Postal address: Romanian Embassy, PO Box 70416, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Website information (Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs): www.mae.ro/en/romanian-missions/3185
- 1990 - Romanian embassy first opened in the UAE.
- 1989 - diplomatic relations first established between the UAE and Romania.
Embassy of the Russian Federation to the United Arab Emirates
- Obtaining a Russian visa: A letter of introduction/invitation (LOI), or some sort of similar document is usually required. Check before obtaining one online, the website of the Russian Embassy in Abu Dhabi specifies that the original "Tourist Voucher" is required for a 30 day tourist visa (so a printout will be unlikely to suffice). Safer option might be to go through a travel agent, or reputable hotel in Russia.
- 20 Jun 2013 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Alexander Efimov (start date not supplied).
- 23 Jul 2009 - Ambassador Andrew V. Andreev appointed.
- Contact details and other information:
- Location: Russian Embassy building, East Plots 65/67, Khalifa Street.
- Postal address: PO Box 8211, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Telephone +971-2-6721797, fax +971-2-6788731, email email@example.com (not confirmed, seen on embassy website but a hotmail address seems a bit flaky).
- Working hours: Sunday to Thursday 0800-1415 (1400 on Thursday), additionally 1700-2000 on Wednesday.
- Consular section in Abu Dhabi (entrance backside): Telephone +971-2-6723516, fax +971-2-6788731. Opening hours Sunday 1030-1300, Tuesday 1700-2000, Thursday 1030-1300.
- Some sources have website listed as www.russianembassy.net, which lists Russian consulates and embassies worldwide, but is not an official Russian government website.
Saudi Arabian Embassy
- Location and contact details:
- Location: Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum Street, Al Safarat (embassy area), Abu Dhabi (opposite the American Embassy).
- Postal address: Saudi Arabia Embassy UAE, PO Box 4057, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Telephone: +971-2-4445700, fax: +971-2-4448491, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website: www.mofa.gov.sa or visa.mofa.gov.sa
- Opening hours 0800-1430 Sunday to Thursday. Or 0900-1500 Sunday to Thursday.
Senegal Embassy (Republic of Senegal) (République du Sénégal)
- 03 Nov 2015 - ambassador reported as Abrahima Sory Sylla (WAM).
- 13 Aug 2012 - new ambassador reported as Babakr Bah (WAM).
- 15 May 2012 - Ambassador Abdourahmane Diop reported as leaving (WAM). Replacement name not supplied.
- Senegalese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministère des Affaires Étrangères) (website www.diplomatie.gouv.sn) address and contact information:
- Location - Madinat Zayed area opposite Madinat Zayed Mall.
- Tel +971-2-6336929, fax +971-2-6336779. Website and email address not supplied.
- Location not clear - is in Madinat Zayed area opposite Madinat Zayed Shopping Center (other side of Muroor Rd), opposite Al Bustan School or the mosque, near the Indian Modern Science School Madinat Zayed? Or in Garden City Tower in Khalidiya according to the UAE Yellow Pages?
- Contact details (not confirmed):
- Postal address PO Box 42052, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Telephone +971-2-633 6929, fax +971-2-633 6779. Email address email@example.com (or firstname.lastname@example.org) (not confirmed).
- Additional or alternative contact numbers might be (unconfirmed or outdated information) tel +971-2-6678544, fax +971-2-6678355.
Serbia: Embassy of the Republic of Serbia
03 September 2014 update
- Contact numbers tel +971-2-4476444, fax +971-2-4474411.
- Location is Villa #6, Street 4, Sector 22, Mushrif district, Abu Dhabi.
- Opening times to the public 1000-1400 Sun-Thu. Closed on public holidays (both UAE and Serbian).
- Email addresses provided are email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Not clear if one or both are valid.
- Serbian visa application costs €62 for single entry short-stay tourist visa. Serbia is not part of the Schengen zone but has similar requirements for foreigners travelling to Serbia.
- mfa.gov.rs/en/embassies/serbian-diplomatic-missions/serbian-embassies - Serbian MFA list of Serbian embassies overseas.
Seychelles: Embassy of Republic of Seychelles
- 24 November 2011 - Official opening of the new Seychelles Embassy in Abu Dhabi reported (WAM news). Embassy was opened by the Seychelles President, James Alix Michel. Location and contact details not supplied.
- 11 October 2011 - new Ambassador, Dick Patrick Esparon, reported (WAM news). New embassy?
- 06 January 2013 (WAM) - new Singaporean ambassador to the UAE reported as Umej Singh Bhatia.
- Diplomatic relations between the UAE and Singapore established in 1985. Singaporean Embassy opened in Abu Dhabi in 2007.
Slovakia: Embassy of the Slovak Republic
31 August 2014 update
- Slovak representative to the UAE is Mr. Dušan Horniak according to Slovak MFA (www.mfa.sk and www.foreign.gov.sk, both look the same) with title of Charge d'affaires, not Ambassador. Website for Slovak Embassy in Abu Dhabi diplomatic representation at www.mzv.sk/abudhabi (in Slovak only, not in Arabic or English).
- Mobile phone number +971-56-6202560. Location of embassy not provided.
- Office hours: Sunday to Thursday 0900-1500. Consular Section (visas): Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 1000-1300.
- Postal address: Embassy of the Slovak Republic, PO Box 63545, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Slovak Embassy in Egypt website now at www.mzv.sk/cairo or www.mzv.sk/kahira. Previous domain at www.cairo.mfa.sk shows www.mzv.sk - general Slovak MFA information, not Egypt specific. Slovak MFA website list of diplomatic missions abroad still lists their embassy in Egypt as having territorial responsibility for the UAE, although the same list also includes the Slovak embassy in Abu Dhabi.
22 March 2013 update
- News reports said that a new Slovakian embassy would open, or the old one would reopen, "soon" quoting the Slovak foreign minister, Peter Burian, as saying "We will be opening the embassy later this year ..."
- He was visiting the UAE with the new Slovak ambassador to the UAE, Dušan Horniak.
- Mr Burain also said about the embassy closure: "We closed our embassy in 2004 due to austerity measures and a lack of budget ...This was a mistake, I believe, as we realised the important role of the UAE and its economy in the regional and global stage."
05 October 2010 update
- First diplomatic relations between UAE and Czechoslovakia with embassies established in 1988.
- Slovakian Republic independence recognized by UAE on 04 January 1993 with a Slovak Embassy subsequently established in Abu Dhabi.
- Slovak Embassy in Abu Dhabi UAE closed in 2004. Closure date was 30 June 2004?
- The Annual Report Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Slovak Republic Foreign Policy in 2008 (dated April 2009?) says "the MFA is preparing to ... open an embassy in the United Arab Emirates - Abu Dhabi," but did not give any further information.
- 18 May 2008 Khaleej Times interview with Peter Zsoldos, Slovak Ambassador to the Gulf and the Middle East, based in Cairo, quoted him as saying "The government hasn’t yet approved it, but we are now planning to reopen the embassy here ...". Ambassador Zsoldos was in the UAE in April 2008 to present his credentials to the UAE government. He was also the Slovak Ambassador in the UAE before the embassy closed in 2004.
- Slovakian citizens should contact the Slovak Embassy in Cairo, Egypt. Address 3 Adel Hussein Rostom, PO Box 450, 11794 Ramses Post Office Dokki, Cairo, Egypt. Tel +20-2-333 58240, 333 57544, 333 76901, mobile (emergency) tel +20-2-012-217 1845, fax +20-2-333-55 810, website www.cairo.mfa.sk, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Slovenia: Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Abu Dhabi
- 11 Aug 2018: Slovenian MFA website:
- Address given as: Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia, PO Box 30395, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Website at abudhabi.embassy.si gives same information, and 12 Jun 2018 message says welcome.
- Same postal address given for Abdul Hadi General Contracting & General Maintenance in Abu Dhabi.
- No location information, tel number, email contact.
- No information for Slovenia found in UAE MOFA list of foreign missions in the UAE.
- Website for Slovenian embassy in Cairo: cairo.embassy.si
- The Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Cairo is also accredited to Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the League of Arab States.
- Schengen visa application information: www.cairo.embassy.si/index.php?id=3248&L=1
Somalia (Federal Republic of Somalia)
- 26 Dec 2013 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Abdulkadir Sheikhey Mohammed Al Hatimi. Again? Is same as reported in June 2012, or different ambassador with almost the same name? WAM report said "... on the occasion of assuming his duties as new ambassador for his country to the state."
- 05 Jun 2012 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Abdul Kader Shaikhi Al Hatemi - typo? Might be Abdul Qader Sheikhy Mohammed Al Hatimi (WAM 28 May 2012), Abdul Kader Shaikh Al Hatemi, Abdul Qadir Sheikh Al Hatemi? Also written as Abdul Kadir Sheikhey Mohamed Al Hatimy. Previous ambassador was Ahmad Mohammad Ajal (Ahmed Mohamed Igal)?
- Contact details and location (UAE MOFA information, last checked 13 June 2012):
- Location: Arab Gulf Street (Al Khaleej Road?), Opposite Khalidia Park (Khalidiya Park).
- Postal address: PO Box 4155.
- Tel +971-2-6669700, fax +971-2-6651580, email email@example.com (or firstname.lastname@example.org), website www.uae.somaligov.net.
- Somalia embassy in UAE website has tel and fax as +971-2-6651580, email email@example.com, location Abu Dubia (presumably a typo).
- Previous ambassadors Abdinur Ali Yusuf, Abirahman O. Omar (appointment dates not supplied).
South African Embassy
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new South African ambassador reported as Mpetjane Kgaogelo Lekgoro.
- 11 Dec 2012 (WAM) - ambassador reported as Yacoob Abba Omar.
- Location is in Al Mushrif area other side of Airport Road (2nd Street) from Mushrif Mall, between Al Manhal School Abu Dhabi location and Airport Road (not confirmed)?
South Korea: Embassy of the Republic of Korea to United Arab Emirates
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new South Korean ambassador reported as Kwon Hae-Ryong.
- 07 Jun 2010 - Ambassador is Dr Kwon Tae-Kyun (also written as Dr Tae Kyun Kwon).
- Location and contact information (last checked 18 Dec 2013):
- Postal address PO Box 3270, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Tel +971-2-6439122, fax +971-2-6439130, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Opening times 08:00-16:00 Sun-Thu.
- Location is Al Nahyan Camp district, near Dar Al Shifa Hospital and Emirates National School For Girls. Plot 191, E 19/2 according to UAE MOFA information.
- UAE MOFA information is different - fax +971-2-6439133, email email@example.com (unknown if valid, might be a typo).
- Previous contact information (source unknown, unknown if still valid) tel +971-2-4435337, fax +971-2-4435348.
Spanish Embassy - Embassy of the Kingdom of Spain?
- 30 Jul 2012 (WAM) - Spanish Ambassador to the UAE reported as Jose Eugenio Salarich (Jose Eugenio Salarich Fernandez Valderrama).
- Location and contact details (last checked 24 Aug 2013, embassy info).
- Ambassador is D. José Eugenio Fernández-Valderrama Salarich.
- 8th Floor, Al Saman Towers (West Tower), Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Street (Hamdan St), Al Markaziyah, Abu Dhabi (opposite Capitol Garden Park or Capital Garden Pond). GPS coordinates 24º 29' 26.36"N 54º21'48.60"E.
- Postal address PO Box 46474, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tel +971-2-6269544, fax +971-2-6274978. Some sources list a Spanish Embassy in Dubai with contact details tel +971-4-6269544, fax +971-4-6274978, however that appears to be an incorrect listing for the Abu Dhabi embassy with area code 04 (for Dubai) instead of 02 (for Abu Dhabi). As far as we know, there is no Spanish consulate in Dubai (or embassy).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the foreign ministry. Other email addresses - email@example.com for visa section, firstname.lastname@example.org for Spanish citizens (?),
- Opening hours 0900-1300 for the consular section (visas, etc), 0900-1500 for the commercial section.
- www.maec.es/embajadas/abudhabi - Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación) website. Forwards to ...
- ... www.exteriores.gob.es/embajadas/abudhabi/es/Paginas/inicio.aspx - in Spanish and English, but the English pages are mostly in Spanish.
- Visas to Spain - apply for a Spanish Schengen Visa in Abu Dhabi through VFS Global (VFS office for Spanish applications relocated as of 25 Aug 2013). Embassy website lists tel +971-4-3764151 for visa applications (VFS in Dubai, not confirmed, VFS call center number normally given as +971-4-2055700).
- Some sources list the location and contact details for the Turkish Embassy in Abu Dhabi as if it is the Spanish Embassy (we assume this is an error rather than an indicator of a secret plot to form a new Turkish-Spanish empire):
- Location - Turkish Embassy, Villa #1, W59-02 /1 ADNEC, Embassy Area, Abu Dhabi. Postal address PO Box 3204, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tel +971-2-4109999 or +971-2-4417666, fax +971-2-4109905 or +971-2-4417168, email email@example.com.
- Working hours - 0830-1430 Sun-Thu.
Sri Lanka Embassy
- 19 Dec 2012 (WAM) - new Sri Lankan ambassador reported as Mahindra Balasuriya.
- 26 Sep 2012 (WAM) - Sri Lankan ambassador, Sarath Wijesinghe, reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Sudanese ambassador reported as Ahmed Yousef Siddiq Ahmad (Ahmed Yousef Mohammed Al Siddiq).
- 03 Jun 2013 (WAM) - Sudanese ambassador Ahmed Al-Siddiq Abdul Hai reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- 30 Jul 2012 (WAM) - Sudanese Ambassador to the UAE reported as Ahmed Al-Siddiq Abdul Hai (Ahmad Alsadeeq Abdulhai).
- 17 Jun 2013 (WAM) - new Swedish Ambassador to the UAE reported as Max Pure ("Max Pure ... at the beginning of his tenure in the country"). Presumably a different spelling of Max Bjuhr? Although he has been UAE ambassador for almost 2 years. Not clear if a new ambassador has been appointed or not.
- 12 Mar 2013 - Max Bjuhr is also ambassador to Qatar (date of appointment not supplied).
- 04 Jul 2012 - Max Bjuhr also appointed as ambassador to Bahrain (Bahrain MOFA news).
- 13 Oct 2011 - Max Bjuhr appointed as new Swedish Ambassador to the UAE. He was previously ambassador in Addis Ababa, Zagreb, and Pretoria (Swedish MOFA press release). Previous ambassador was Magnus Schultz (also seen written as Magnus Scholdtz).
- 2002 - Swedish Embassy in Abu Dhabi opening date in early 2002?
Embassy of Switzerland
- [Update] 19 Feb 2015 (Thu) - a new Swiss Embassy opened in Abu Dhabi. Swiss ambassador to the UAE is Andrea Reichlin. Location, contact information not given.
- 02 Oct 2012 (WAM) - Swiss ambassador (Ambassador of the Swiss Confederation to the UAE) reported as Andrea Reichlin. Previous ambassador was Wolfgang Amadeus Bruelhart? Date of change not supplied.
- Swiss Embassy in Abu Dhabi apparently has a nice art gallery in the lobby (01 Mar 2008 press release).
- 25 Jul 2012 - The Syrian Ambassador to the UAE, Dr Abdul Latif Dabbagh (Abdel Latif Al-Dabbagh) defected according to various news reports, as a response to the unrest in Syria under the regime of Bashar Al Assad. He was the 4th Syrian ambassador to defect. His wife, Lamia Hariri, Syrian ambassador or charge d'affairs to Cyprus, defected on 24 July 2012.
- 07 February 2012 - Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries are expelling Syrian ambassadors as a response to the escalating violence in Syria being perpetrated by the ruling regime. A statement from the GCC said "The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, current head of the council, announces that the GCC states have decided to withdraw all their ambassadors from Syria and also demand that all ambassadors of the Syrian regime in its lands leave immediately"
- 21 Sep 2014: updated. Ambassador is Mbarouk Nassor Mbarouk? Website www.tanzania-uae.org.ae not available (offline since 2009?). Try www.tanbizdubai.com (Dubai consulate and trade office website).
- Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania, PO Box 43714, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Location Villa 27, 14th Street, behind Najda Street, Madinat Zayed.
- Tel +971-2-6313088, fax +971-2-6316618. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, also or previously email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 05 Jan 2011: added.
- 04 Sep 2009: Ambassador is Mohamed Maharage Juma?
- 08 Aug 2013 - new Thai ambassador to the UAE reported as Warawudh Chuwiruch.
- 10 Sep 2012 - Thai ambassador, Somchai Charanasomboon, reported as leaving. New ambassador name not supplied.
- 02 May 2012 (WAM report) - Foundation stone laying ceremony for Tunisia embassy building and ambassador's residence in Abu Dhabi. Foundation stone laid by Tunisian Foreign Minister, Dr Rafiq Abdul Salam, and attended by the Tunisian Ambassador to the UAE, Tariq Baltayeb. Location, completion date, not supplied.
- 30 October 2011 - Ambassador name reported as Tariq Bal Tayeb (WAM news). Also reported as Tariq Ba Tayyib, Tarek Baltayeb.
Turkish Embassy (Republic of Turkey)
- 28 January 2012 - Ambassador name reported as Vural Altay (WAM news). Presumably the same as Shafiq Foraal Al Tai seen in other sources. Also reported as Vural Al Tai (02 April 2012), or S. Vural Altay.
- Location and contact details (some sources supply Turkish Embassy contact details as if they are for the Spanish Embassy in Abu Dhabi, they're not) (last checked 24 Aug 2013 - TK Embassy info).
- Location - Turkish Embassy, Villa #1, W59-02 /1 ADNEC, Embassy Area, Abu Dhabi. Postal address PO Box 3204, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Tel +971-2-4109999 or +971-2-4417666, fax +971-2-4109905 or +971-2-4417168, email email@example.com. Email also firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (unconfirmed, might be old information)?
- Working hours - 0830-1430 Sun-Thu. Website domain - abudhabi.emb.mfa.gov.tr. Ambassador name is S. Vural Altay.
- Tel +971-2-4417666 also seen in several sources but not confirmed, unknown if valid. Other sources give tel +971-2-4454864, fax +971-2-4452585. Also unconfirmed and unknown if valid.
- 15 May 2012 (WAM) - new ambassador reported as Orazumyrat Gurbannazarov. Or Oraz Murad Qurban (WAM 04 Mar 2013)?
Embassy of Republic of Uganda
- 08 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Ugandan ambassador reported as Irene Florence Persis Wekiya.
- 06 Apr 2011 (update): Contact details (unconfirmed) Postal Address: PO Box 113308, Abu Dhabi, UAE, tel +971-2-6659931, fax +971-2-6659934 (DTCM information 13 Dec 2010). Website might be at www.ugandaembassyuae.com (says coming soon) and email might be firstname.lastname@example.org. No details found on Uganda Ministry of Foreign Affairs website (www.mofa.go.ug) which only lists Middle East diplomatic representation for Riyadh and Tehran.
- 22 Oct 2009 (AllAfrica.com) - Abu Dhabi embassy opening date reportedly in August 2009. Ambassador is Semakula Kiwanuka.
- 09 Aug 2007 (New Vision Uganda) - Ugandan Embassy or Consulate planned for Abu Dhabi or Dubai but news report not clear.
United Kingdom Embassy
- 25 Apr 2014 (UK Foreign Office) - new UK ambassador announced as Mr Philip Parham, starting in July 2014, replacing Dominic Jermey.
- UK Ambassador to the UAE (in Abu Dhabi) is Dominic Jermey (not Jeremy?). Previous ambassador was Edward Oakden?
- Contact details and opening hours:
- Telephone (main) +971-2-6101100. Tel for visa enquiries +971-4-2055800 (VFS office Dubai, see visa section below). Fax (consular) +971-2-6101609.
- Location - British Embassy Abu Dhabi, 22nd Street (Khalid bin Al Waleed St). Postal address PO Box 248, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Email email@example.com.
- Office Hours: 0730-1430 (UAE time) Sun-Thu.
- www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-abu-dhabi - UK Embassy Abu Dhabi information. Has links to information intended for British nationals but is useful for anyone. Guides include: lawyers in the UAE, living in the UAE, buying property in the UAE, police and the law in the UAE, going to jail in the UAE, sponsoring family members for UAE visas, what to do if you are the victim of a crime ... The gov.uk website says "It’s your choice to report a rape or sexual assault to the local police, but doing so quickly can help with any investigation or gathering evidence. The British embassy, commission or consulate will support you and help you ..." which some victims might disagree with, usually after they end up jailed for having illegal sex in the UAE as a result of reporting a rape or sexual assault - in particular the bit about helping with investigations when it turns out their rape complaint is used as evidence of them committing a sex crime (although in such cases technically it is correct that they helped with police investigations, just not the investigation they expected).
- www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/uae/ - UK Border Agency, for UK visa applications.
- ukinuae.fco.gov.uk - forwards to www.gov.uk/government/world/united-arab-emirates, still listed in some sources as embassy website.
- www.britishembassy.gov.uk/uae - no longer available. Still listed in some sources.
- www.britain-uae.org - no longer available, is spam. Still listed in some sources.
UK visa applications in Abu Dhabi, UAE - for residents and/or nationals of UAE (Abu Dhabi emirate), Bahrain, Pakistan.
- 25 Aug 2013 - new location for UK visa applications in Abu Dhabi is: 25th floor, Shining Tower, 26th Street (King Khalid Bin Abdel Aziz St), Abu Dhabi. Near Khalidiyah Mall. GPS co-ordinates 24.473537 N, 54.349697 E.
- 21-22 Aug 2013 - UK visa application office closed for applications due to relocation, open from 1600-1700 for passport collection. Urgent vias applications from Abu Dhabi can be processed in Dubai by contacting the Abu Dhabi call center (which is in Dubai).
- 09 Apr 2009 - opening of refurbished UK visa application center in Khalidiyah announced (press release).
- Sep 2007 - UK visa application center opened in Abu Dhabi.
- UK visa applications in Abu Dhabi processed at the VFS Global Visa Application Center in Abu Dhabi. Website www.vfs-uk-ae.com. Applicants need to book an appointment online for visa application submission prior to visiting the center. And first need to fill in a visa application form online at www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk before attending an appointment.
- Opening hours 0900-1600 for application submissions, 1600-1700 for passport collection, Sun-Thu (closed Fri-Sat). Ramadan hours 0900-1400 for visa application appointments, 1400-1500 for passport collection. Closed on public holidays (UAE and some UK holidays).
- VFS Call Center for Abu Dhabi is in Dubai - tel +971-4-2055800, operating hours 0900-1700 Sun-Thu (0900-1500 during Ramadan). Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact for information, application appointments cannot be booked through the call centre or email.
- Another email address might be email@example.com (for complaints, enquiries?).
- UK VFS Visa Application Center. Location: Office #1, Level 02, Khalidya Tower, Zayed the First St (Al Khalidya St), Khalidiyah. Postal address: PO Box 30023, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Updated 25 Aug 2013 - relocated to Shining Tower.
Embassy of United States of America (USA) (US Embassy, American Embassy in Abu Dhabi)
- Emergency telephone for US citizens in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, and Western Region when embassy is closed is +971-2-4142200.
- Opening times 0800-1700 Sunday to Thursday.
- New American ambassador in Abu Dhabi, Michael H. Corbin, arrived 27 July 2011 (nominated 05 May 2011), replaces Richard Olson.
- Website domain uae.usembassy.gov forwards to abudhabi.usembassy.gov.
News and updates
- 26 Jun 2014 -
CBS news ("U.S. ambassador to UAE criticized for speeding tickets") highlighted that an inspection report of the US Embassy
in Abu Dhabi and US Consulate in Dubai had been publicly released
by the US Department of State Office of Inspector General (OIG). The report (PDF available at http://oig.state.gov/documents/organization/227278.pdf, report date May 2014, inspection dates Sep-Nov 2013)
included the following observations:
- One result of the Ambassador’s frequent trips to Dubai and his crowded schedule is a large number of speeding fines on his vehicle. The mission has asked the host government to reduce or eliminate these fines in both Abu Dhabi’s and Dubai’s jurisdictions. This practice is contrary to Department and mission policy.
- The Ambassador has not focused sufficiently on his staff and the internal workings of the embassy. In OIG-administered questionnaires, his staff rated him below average in every leadership category.
- The Ambassador has been a key player in promoting government-to-government economic dialogue and receives high marks from the local American Chamber of Commerce for including private-sector considerations at that forum.
- Official visitors consume significant staff resources. The use of commercial expeditor services, especially for transiting officials, could free up time for reporting and other duties.
- Demand for consular services at both Embassy Abu Dhabi and Consulate General Dubai has mushroomed in recent years. Both are making progress transitioning from small-scale to medium-sized, high productivity operations. Frequent requests for special handling of routine visa cases from the front office and other parts of the mission impede this process.
- Mission morale is poor. Morale and the housing program received the lowest scores on OIG questionnaires by a wide margin. Many complaints are caused by Abu Dhabi and Dubai being understaffed in management sections, lengthy initial stays in temporary quarters, and the location of the Al-Reef housing compound. Understaffing has a cascading effect on housing maintenance, personnel, and financial services, and subsequently on morale. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are not hardship differential posts but do receive a 25 percent cost of living allowance.
- Embassy Abu Dhabi should cease using a government credit card for the Ambassador’s personal expenses.
- Previous report June 2010 available at http://oig.state.gov/documents/organization/145650.pdf.
- 13 Sep 2013 (Friday ...) - there was an attack on the US Consulate in Herat, about 1,000 km west of Kabul, in Afghanistan. Two car bombs were detonated and a gunfight started with Afghan security personnel around the consulate compound. The attackers were reportedly Taliban terrorists or fighters or militants (depending on your point of view). Two Afghans defending the compound were killed, and 7 attackers were killed including the drivers of the two suicide bomb vehicles. Unknown if the attack was related to the Aug 2013 warnings.
- 18 Aug 2013 - the US Embassy in Sana'a, Yemen reopened to the public but with limited services. The UK embassy in Sanaa also repopened.
- 11 Aug 2013 - the US embassy in Abu Dhabi and consulate in Dubai will reopen to the public (reported 10 Aug 2013). Other US embassies and consulates that were closed will also reopen, except for the ones in Sanaa (Yemen) and Lahore (Pakistan) which will remain closed.
- 07 Aug 2013 (news reports) - a planned Al Qaeda terrorist attack on the Yemen oil and gas industry (including possible kidnappings) was halted by the Yemen government, according to reports of comments by a Yemeni government spokesman, Rajeh Badi from the prime minister's office. Update 08 Aug 2013: Apparently this plot was not the threat which had prompted the closure of US embassies in the region, and some later reports questioned whether there even was a plot in the first place.
- 06 Aug 2013 (news reports) - the US embassy and consulate in the UAE (and other Middle East and African cities) will remain closed until at least Sat 10 Aug 2013 as a precaution against fears of a possible Al Qaida terrorist attack in the region, possibly at the end of Ramadan.
- Other US diplomatic mission closures include Amman, Antananarivo (Madagascar, new), Bujumbura (Burundi, new), Cairo, Dhahran, Djibouti, Doha, Jeddah, Khartoum, Kigali (Rwanda, new), Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, Port Louis (Mauritius, new), Riyadh, Sanaa, Tripoli.
- Posts that have reopened since 04 Aug 2013 include those in Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Iraq, Israel, Mauritania.
- Some other countries have closed their embassies and consulates in the region, or just in Yemen (including Britain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Norway?), but not in the UAE as far as we know. Canadian embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh also closed.
- Some or all American embassy staff and US government employees in Yemen were evacuated from the country, and the US State Department warned US citizens in Yemen to leave immediately. The state department notice said there is a "high security threat level in Yemen due to terrorist activities and civil unrest".
- 04 Aug 2013 - news reports said that US embassies were closed as a result of an intercepted message from Ayman al Zawahiri (Al Qaeda head in Pakistan and successor to Osama bin Laden) to Nasir al Wuhayshi (head of Al Qaeda in Yemen). Reportedly telling Al Wuhayshi to "do something".
- 03 Aug 2013 - Interpol issued an alert that several hundred militants, terrorists, suspects, or criminals, had broken out of different jails in the region (including in Iraq, Libya, Pakistan) in July 2013, which might be related to the US travel alert and embassy closures. The breakouts were apparently part of an Al Qaeda "Breaking the Walls" campaign.
- 03 Aug 2013 - suicide bombers attacked the Indian consulate in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, killing 9 people and injuring 23.
- 01 Aug 2013 (embassy notice) - the American consulate in Dubai and embassy in Abu Dhabi will be closed on Sun 04 Aug 2013 due to a worldwide travel alert resulting from an unspecified Al Qaeda terrorist threat. The embassy might be closed additional days - check directly with them. The travel alert expires on 31 Aug 2013. Other US diplomatic missions in Africa and the Middle East will also be closed on Sunday.
- 25 Mar 2012 - non-resident ambassador (Apostolic Nuncio) of the Vatican reported as Archbishop Peter Rajic (WAM news). No further details supplied regarding location, contact information, etc.
- 1993 - diplomatic relations established between the UAE and Vietnam. On or about 10 Oct 1993 (20th anniversary reported 10 Oct 2013)?
- 02 Aug 2013 (WAM) - new Yemeni ambassador to the UAE reported as Ahmed Ali Abdullah Saleh. Previous ambassador was Abdullah Hussain Mohammad Al Dafei?
- 25 March 2012 - non-resident ambassador reported as Mark Grey Maronjoy (WAM news). No further details supplied regarding location, contact information, etc.
How many foreign residents and companies in Abu Dhabi and UAE statistics
- France - about 5,000 French nationals living in Abu Dhabi (The National 13 Feb 2012).
- Philippines - about 200,000 in Abu Dhabi (Gulf News 24 May 2014, report about embassy relocation, not clear if figure is for Abu Dhabi emirate or just Abu Dhabi city).
See also foreign expat population in UAE page for UAE population figures.
Trade figures between UAE and other countries
- China: 2014 trade AED 175 billion, 2015Q1 AED 47 billion (WAM 11 Jul 2015).
- Colombia: 2012 trade exchange worth AED 29 million (US$8 million) (GN 23 Mar 2013).
- France: AED14 billion trade between the UAE and France in 2012, UAE is the 4th largest "trade surplus" partner of France reportedly (WAM 26 May 2013).
- India: 2019 Nov, FDI UAE to India US$5 billion, total investments $10 billion (GT 17 Nov 2019, India VOA for Emiratis announced).
- Japan: $53.1 billion total trade (two-way) between UAE and Japan in 2012 (WAM 03 June 2013).
- New Zealand: NZ$611 million exports to the UAE in 2012 (WAM 26 Oct 2013).
- South Korea: 170 Korean companies operating in the UAE (Jun 2013 - Ambassador letter).
- Yemen: $2bn annual trade including $1.6bn in UAE exports, March 2013 figures (press release 02 Sep 2013).
Last update Monday 18-Nov-2019. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- Abu Dhabi - introduction to Abu Dhabi
- Consulates in Dubai - list of foreign diplomatic offices and representation in Dubai
- Embassies and consulates in UAE - general and previous information
- UAE embassies in other countries
Related websites (new window)
- www.mofaic.gov.ae/missions/Foreign-Missions-In-UAE/ - foreign embassy and consulate information from MOFAIC UAE.
- www.mofa.gov.ae, UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), in Arabic and English. For UAE based embassies (Abu Dhabi) and consulates (Dubai), click English > Missions > Foreign Missions in UAE ... should take you to ...
- [Disabled] Submit URL.