Abu Dhabi street names
Abu Dhabi road names
- 13 Nov 2013 - some roads have been renamed as part of the Abu Dhabi Onwani addressing system. See information below table. Table not updated.
- Mar 2014 - Onwani is Arabic for "My Address" not "Get Lost!" despite what some people might think after the Abu Dhabi Street Sign Replacement Department put new signs up without the road numbers that many residents used for reference, and making most maps of Abu Dhabi obsolete overnight. We don't know if it was some sort of negligence, or a deliberate omission to try and force people to use the new road names, but either way it is rather out of character for an emirate trying to make itself more user-friendly and develop its tourism potential. One rumoured explanation is that someone in the department had an axe to grind (against what isn't clear) but had an opportunity to mess things up for residents and visitors trying to find their way around Abu Dhabi, and no one picked up on it until it was too late.
Note that North-South and East-West on this page, and with reference to Abu Dhabi roads, is inaccurate. Roads close to Abu Dhabi city center (the Corniche area) are mostly either NW-SE direction (what we're referring to as North-South), or NE-SW direction (what we're referring to as East-West). Moving away from the center and into the desert, the road alignment changes such that what we're calling North-South actually goes from NW-SE to East-West, and what we're calling East-West becomes more like North-South. Confused? Welcome to the UAE.
That probably doesn't help much. Try thinking of it this way: North-South roads run along the length of Abu Dhabi island, and East-West roads run across the width of the island.
North South Abu Dhabi roads
|Airport Road||2nd St||Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum St|
|Old Airport Rd||2nd St||Shaikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoom St|
|Lulu Rd||Sultan bin Zayed the First||4th St||Lulu Rd||Al Markaziyah|
|Al Sharqi St||Sultan bin Zayed the First||4th St||Al Sharqi St||Madinat Zayed|
|New Airport Rd||Sultan bin Zayed the First||4th St||East Rd, Muroor Rd, New Airport Rd||South|
|East Road||Sultan bin Zayed the First||4th St||East Rd, Muroor Rd, New Airport Rd||Eastern Rd, South|
|Muroor Road||Sultan bin Zayed the First||4th St||East Rd, Muroor Rd, New Airport Rd||Madinat Zayed|
|Al Dhafra Rd||Al Dafra St|
|6th St||Fatima bint Mubarak St||6th St||Umm Al Nar St|
|6th St||Fatima bint Mubarak St||6th St||Bani Yas Road, Baniyas Rd|
|Najda Rd (St)||Fatima bint Mubarak St||6th St||Baniyas Rd||Madinat Zayed||Al Baladiya area?|
|Al Najdah Rd||Fatima bint Mubarak St||6th St||Baniyas Rd||... and Al Dhafra?|
|East Coast Rd||Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan St||8th St||Al Salam St|
|Eastern Ring Rd||Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan St||8th St||Al Salam St|
|New Corniche Rd||Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan St||8th St||Al Salam St||Madinat Zayed|
|Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan St||8th St||Corniche Al Qurm St||Muroor?||Old name (ADM97)?|
|10th St||10th St||Liwa St|
|22nd St||Khalid Bin Al Waleed St|
|24th St||Al Karamah St|
|Mubarak bin Mohammed||26th St||King Khalid Bin Abdulaziz Saeed St||North|
|Mubarak bin Mohammed||26th St||Al Nahyan, Nahayan St||South|
|28th St||Khalifa Bin Shakbut, Shakhbout St|
|Arabian Gulf Rd||30th St||Al Khaleej Al Arabi St|
|Mussafah Rd||30th St||Al Khaleej Al Arabi St|
|Coast Rd||30th St||Al Khaleej Al Arabi St|
|32nd St||Khalidiyah St||Or 7th St? North?|
|Al Bateen St||32nd St||Sultan Bin Zayed St||South|
|34th St||Baynunah St, Baynounah Rd||to Emirates Palace|
East West Abu Dhabi roads
|Khalifa St||Khalifa bin Zayed the First||3rd St||Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed St|
|Khalifa St||Khalifa bin Zayed the First||3rd St||Al Istiqalal St|
|Hamdan St||5th St||Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed St||East|
|Hamdan St||5th St||Al Nasr St||West|
|5th St||Al Khubairah St||Al Khubeirah|
|*Electra St (Rd)||7th St||East|
|Zayed the First St||7th St||Sheikh Zayed the First St||West|
|Zayed the First St||7th St||Zayed the Second St (ADM97)||East of Airport Rd|
|Zayed the First St||7th St||Zayed the First St (ADM97)||West of Airport Rd|
|Khalidiyah St*||7th St||Sheikh Zayed the First St||Khalidiya only?||Or 32nd St?|
|Old Passport Rd||9th St||Al Falah St||West|
|Passport Road||9th St||Al Falah St|
|Jawazat Rd||9th St||Al Falah St||East|
|*Immigration Rd||9th St||Al Falah St|
|Defense Rd||11th St||Hazza Bin Zayed St|
|11th St||Al Sudan St|
|Al Bateen St||11th St||Haza Bin Zayed the First St?|
|Delma St||13th St||Delma St, Dalma St|
|15th St||Mohammed Bin Khalifa St|
|Shakhbout bin Sultan St||19th St||Al Saad St, Al Saada St|
|Dihan Street||21st St|
|Salama bint Butti St||23rd St|
|Al Dhafra St||25th St|
|Mawgab St||27th St|
|Rabdan St||29th St|
|Dhafeer St||31st St|
- New street names from Nov 2013, also Mar 2014.
- Abu Dhabi city is on an island that is much longer than it is wide. Streets running across the width of the island (east-west) have odd numbers, streets running along the length of the island (north-south) have even numbers. Many streets also have other names which might be marked on maps, and common names which are rarely marked on maps but are what everyone uses in everyday conversation, and what taxi drivers will understand.
- The words "Road" and "Street" are often used interchangeably, with no rhyme or reason.
- Abu Dhabi is split down the middle by Airport Road, some street names for roads that cross Airport Rd (odd numbers) change from one side of Airport Rd to the other - sometimes common names, sometimes map names, sometimes both, just to make sure you never make it home in time for supper.
- The Emirates Palace side of the island is west, the Tourist Club Area is east, with the Airport Rd as the divider. Some road names will have East or West added on, usually related to what side of the Airport Rd they're on.
- Streets named after a male member of a royal family will normally start with "Sheikh" but it's a bit random whether maps show this or not.
- Within each grid sector between the main roads, the minor roads are also numbered, so there are many different minor "1st Streets" for example - one in every sector. Main roads are signposted in blue, minor roads are signposted in green.
- If you're new to Abu Dhabi, go out early for a drive on a Friday morning (there's much less traffic) to familiarise yourself with the pattern and some landmarks.
New addressing system and street names in Abu Dhabi - Onwani Unified Addressing and Wayfinding System
13 Nov 2013 (WAM) - The Onwani Unified Addressing and Wayfinding System is an Abu Dhabi project by the Abu Dhabi Department of Municipal Affairs (DMA) to rename streets to reduce confusion with multiple names for the same streets, and introduce a simplified address system.
- Onwani project officially launched on Tue 12 Nov 2013. Onwani is Arabic for "My address".
- The system will be implemented by the Abu Dhabi Municipality, Al Ain Municipality and Western Region Municipality under the direction of the DMA.
- All streets in the emirate of Abu Dhabi expected to have unique names by the end of 2015. Abu Dhabi city by the end of 2014, Al Ain and the Western Region (Al Gharbiya) by the end of 2015.
- New road signs already in place (or being placed) in the following areas or districts: Al Bahia, Al Falah, Mariah Island, old Al Nahyan Camp area.
- The Onwani project will introduce 12,000 new street names across the emirate, and 20,000 new road and district signs are expected to be set up. New street names will reflect Emirati culture, UAE and regional history. Examples:
- Muroor Road (also called Fourth Street, East Road) expected to be renamed as Sultan Bin Zayed the First Street.
- Najda Street (also called Bani Yas Street or Baniyas St) expected to be renamed as Sheikha Fatima Bint Mubarak Street.
- As part of the Onwani project, each home, office, or other location will have a unique address with the building number, street name, city name, and emirate name. A total of 200,000 locations will be given a new address.
Streets in Abu Dhabi renamed
- Mar 2014 - two streets renamed in memory of:
- Saif Ghubash St (Saif Ghobash) - a former UAE Foreign Affairs minister who was killed in October 1977 at Abu Dhabi International Airport, during an attempt to assassinate the Syrian foreign minister.
- Khalifa Al Mubarak - a former ambassador to France who was killed (assassinated?) in Paris in February 1984.
- 23 Feb 2014 (WAM) - Khalifa Al Mubarak is a new name for a road in Abu Dhabi city, but report didn't say which road. Or it hasn't been renamed yet. The new road name is to honour the late Khalifa Al Mubarak who was UAE ambassador to several countries.
- 23 Nov 2013 (WAM) - 14 major Abu Dhabi roads were renamed as part of the Abu Dhabi City Onwani project, honouring Emirati persons of note or having geographical significance:
- *Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan Street?
- 4th St (Muroor Road, Fourth Street, East Road) - renamed as Sultan bin Zayed the First Street (?), after the father of Sheikh Zayed ("Father of the UAE") and son of Sheikh Zayed the First. Ruler of Abu Dhabi from 1922-1926.
- 6th Street (Al Najda Street) - renamed as Fatima bint Mubarak Street, road runs from Corniche Road to Hazza bin Zayed Street. New name honours the "Mother of the UAE" for her contributions to UAE society, especially in the area of women's empowerment.
- 8th Street (Al Salam Street) - renamed as Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Street, after the first UAE President, also Ruler of Abu Dhabi 1966-2004. Connects with Sheikh Zayed Bridge.
- 26th Street - renamed as Mubarak bin Mohammed Street (Mohamed, Mohammad).
- 32nd Street - renamed as Al Bateen Street.
- 3rd Street (Khalifa St) - renamed as Khalifa bin Zayed the First Street, after the oldest son of Zayed the First.
- 19th Street (Al Saada St) - renamed as Shakhbout bin Sultan Street, Ruler of Abu Dhabi from 1928-1966.
- 21st Street - renamed as Dihan Street.
- 23rd Street - renamed as Salama bint Butti Street.
- 25th Street - renamed as Al Dhafra Street.
- 27th Street - renamed as Mawgab Street.
- 29th Street - renamed as Rabdan Street.
- 31st Street - renamed as Dhafeer Street.
Last update Sunday 01-Feb-2015
- Sectors in Abu Dhabi - list of districts, areas, communities, sectors
- Map of Abu Dhabi online - zoom in, zoom out, shake it all about ...
|UAE maps||Abu Dhabi map | Al Ain map | Dubai map | Fujairah map | Ras Al Khaimah map | Sharjah map | Dubai printed maps|
|UAE roads||Abu Dhabi roads | Dubai roads | UAE roads (common names and proper names)|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.