India UAE relations, embassy, visa and travel information
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
India UAE relations, missions, visa and travel information
India UAE relations, Abu Dhabi embassy, Dubai consulate, and UAE missions in India information, visas, flights, and other travel information going from India to UAE or UAE to India.
India UAE relations
UAE India visa requirements
Visas for Indians travelling to the UAE
Indian citizens need to apply for a UAE entry permit before traveling to the UAE. Required for visit, tourism, employment. An exception is for Indians who have a long-term USA or Schengen visa, they can get a UAE visa on arrival (VOA) at UAE airports as long as their US or Schengen visa has a minimum of 6 months validity when entering the UAE. The VOA is valid for only 14 days, can be extended once for another 14 days (ref TimaticWeb 18 Nov 2019).
Visa requirements for other nationalities who live in India depend on the passport held.
Visas for UAE expat residents traveling to India
- No special offers for UAE residence permit holders, visa requirements depend on nationality.
- Freedom of movement applies to citizens of Bhutan and Nepal; no (usually) visa or passport needed to visit, live, or work in India. If coming from the UAE a passport will be required to get on a plane.
- South Korea and Japan citizens can get 30 day Visa on Arrival (VOA). And UAE citizens from 16 Nov 2019.
- Other nationalities apply for e-visa or paper visa. Majority of nationalities are eligible to apply for an evisa (170 as of Nov 2019). List of exceptions includes: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, North Korea, Pakistan (and those of Pakistani origin even if holding another passport), Syria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Yemen; also most northern African countries.
- Evisa applications online at www.indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html. But confirm the correct website with an official source, MEA India, a consulate or an embassy. Be careful of fake, scam, or phishing websites.
- BLS International Visa and Passport Services processes visa applications, and Indian passport renewals and applications in the UAE for Indian consular services in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Website www.blsindiavisa-uae.com.
Visas for Emiratis travelling to India
Visa on Arrival (VOA) requirements for Emirati citizens (not expat residents)
- 27 Nov 2019: Indian VOA for UAE nationals information update, no new information except for fees.
- VOA fees are INR 2,000 or foreign currency equivalent. In Nov 2019 is ~AED 100, USD 30, or EUR 25. Press release said "INR 2,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency per passenger". Same fee applies to adults and children. Form online at indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/visa-on-arrival.html
- First time visitors to Indian cannot use VOA, they must please do the needful and apply for paper at Indian consulates or Evisa online. Restrictions also for any visitors who work in or have residency in India.
- Passport validity minimum 6 months after arrival date in India.
- References: www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302806243 and www.mofaic.gov.ae/en/mediahub/news/2019/11/26/26-11-2019-uae-india.
- 17 Nov 2019: VOA (Visa on Arrival) (with restrictions) announced for Emiratis travelling to India for business, conference, medical, or tourism related visits (so visiting friends or relatives is not included?). Validity up to 60 days stay, double entry. Effective from 16 Nov 2019.
- VOA application form needs to be completed. Available on flight, on arrival, or on line (pdf): boi.gov.in/sites/default/files/Annexure-I.pdf
- Some restrictions:
- Available only at these international airports: Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkota, Mumbai.
- Available only for visitors who have previously obtained a paper or e-visa for India (used or unused). First time applicants still have to apply for a paper or e-visa.
- UAE citizens originally from Pakistan (birth or permanent residents) are not eligible for the new VOA.
- Announced by Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi 17 Nov 2019. References:
- 07 Feb 2018 (WAM): Ahead of the Indian Prime Minister's visit to the UAE, the UAE Ambassador to India, Dr. Ahmed Abdul Rahman Al Banna, suggested that India should offer visa-free travel to India for UAE nationals. UAE nationals can get e-visas but they are only valid for 14 airports in Indian. Indians with long term valid US or Schengen visas can get VOAs at UAE airports. Reference: www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302665477 (07 Feb 2018, "UAE and India continue to boost cooperation").
Indian missions in UAE
Consulate General of India in Dubai
- Consul General (2017 Apr): Mr Vipul (only uses first name).
- Location address: Diplomatic Area, Al Hamriya, Bur Dubai.
- Postal address: PO Box 737, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Phone: +971-4-3971222 or +971-4-3971333. Fax: +971-4-3970453. Email email@example.com.
Previous Consuls General
- 2013-2017: Mr Anurag Bhushan.
- 2010-2013: Mr Sanjay Verma.
- 2007-2010: Venu Rajamani (Rajamony).
Indian embassy in Abu Dhabi
- Ambassador: Mr Pavan Kapoor (2019 Aug).
- Location address: Diplomatic Area, off Airport road, Plot 10, Sector W-59/02.
- Postal address: PO Box 4090, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Tel: +971-2-4492700. Fax:+971-2-4444685. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
- 2016: Navdeep Singh Suri.
- 2013-2016: Mr T.P. Seetharam.
- 2010-2013: Mr M.K. Lokesh.
Previous information Indian missions in the UAE
India consulate or embassy Dubai
- The Indian diplomatic mission in Dubai is sometimes referred to as the Indian Embassy in Dubai (more often than most other countries' missions it seems), but both the Indian Consulate in Dubai and the Indian Ministry of External Affairs refer to the mission as the Consulate General of India in Dubai, not the Embassy.
- Contact details, location, etc (last checked 24 Aug 2013 - Indian MEA website and Indian CG Dubai website):
- Location: Diplomatic Enclave, Al Hamariya, Bur Dubai (8th St, next to Oman Consulate opposite mosque). Postal address: PO Box 737, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Telephone: +971-4-3971222 or +971-4-3971333. Fax +971-4-3970453. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (email firstname.lastname@example.org should also be valid). Website www.cgidubai.com (available).
- Office timings: 0800-1630 Sun-Thu, consular services (passports, visas, etc) 0800-1200 Sun-Thu.
- Consul General: Sanjay Verma (CG Dubai info). Consul General: Anurag Bhushan. Deputy Consul General: P.K. Ashok Babu (MEA info, P.K. Ashok Babu is the Commerce & Protocol Consul according to the CG of Dubai).
- Indian visa applications - first apply online at www.indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/, then submit application documents to a BLS Indian Visa Center - website www.blsindiavisa-uae.com, BLS helpline tel +971-4-2555530.
- 28 Dec 2013: new Indian CG is Anurag Bhushan, replacing Sanjay Verma who has a new position as Indian Ambassador to Ethiopia.
- 30 Jul 2012: Indian consulate website at www.cgidubai.com has apparently been hacked, or is down due to technical issues, depending on who you listen to (seems to be blocked in the UAE when last checked). Alternative sites for downloading visa or passport application forms are the Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi (www.indembassyuae.org), or BLS International Passport and Visa Services.
- 21 Nov 2011 (ref DTCM): Consulate General of India, PO Box 737, Dubai, UAE. Tel +971-4-3971333 or +971-4-3971222, fax +971-4-3970453, email email@example.com, website www.cgidubai.com.
- 06 Apr 2011: Indian Consulate has outsourced visa and passport services to BLS International from 06 April 2011. Tel +971-4-3594000. Website at ww.blsindiavisa-uae.com.
India embassy in Abu Dhabi
- 06 Nov 2019: Mr Pavan Kapoor presented his credentials as new Indian ambassador to the UAE. Started work 31 Oct 2019. Appointed 28 Aug 2019. Previous posting was ambassador to Israel. Reference www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302800735.
- 30 Dec 2013: new Indian ambassador to the UAE announced as T. P. Seetharam. Previous ambassador was M. K. Lokesh who was posted to Switzerland, date of departure not supplied.
- Passport and visa services operated by BLS International Services from 06 April 2011 (press release). Call center (Dubai) tel +971-4-3594000. Website at ww.blsindiavisa-uae.com. Service centers locations as of April 2011 are:
- Abu Dhabi: Muroor Road, near main bus depot, opposite Aramex office
- Dubai 1: Al Khaleej Centre on Mankhool Road, Bur Dubai
- Dubai 2: Dubai National Insurance building, Port Saeed area, Deira
- Sharjah: 2nd floor, Faisal Building, King Faisal Road
- Ras Al Khaimah: shop 3, opposite Al Safeer Shopping Mall.
- Umm Al Quwain: opposite Lulu Centre UAQ, Jawasat Road, Riqqah (Riqah) area.
- Indian Embassy will operate a walk-in counter in the conference room of the India Social and Cultural Centre (ISC) on Mina Road in Abu Dhabi, starting from 01 April 2011. Counter will be open on Fridays from 1500-1900 (3pm to 7pm) for Indians in Abu Dhabi and the UAE to ask questions, seek assistance, and file complaints.
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org also seen in some sources.
UAE missions in India
- UAE embassy in New Delhi.
- UAE consulates in Thiruvanathapuram (Kerala), Mumbai.
Embassy of the UAE in India, New Delhi
- Ambassador: Dr Ahmed Abdul Rahman AlBanna (Al Banna).
- Timings: 0900-1600 Mon-Fri. Closed Sat-Sun.
- Phone: +91-11-26111111. Fax: +91-11-26873272. Emails: email@example.com.
- Address: 12 Chandergupta Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India.
UAE consulate, embassy, office in Kerala (proposed or planned)
- 12 Jan 2014 - a year after the last reported update, several news reports said that the UAE ambassador to India, Mohamed Sultan Abdalla Al Owais, announced on Sat 11 Jan 2014 that the new UAE consulate in Kerala would be operating within 3 months, and located in the state capital. Although The New Indian Express said that it is expected to start functioning within two months. Original statement not supplied or found (not seen on UAE Embassy in India website).
- 06 Jan 2013 - The UAE will open a consulate general office in Kerala according to the chief minister Oommen Chandy, but didn't say when (reported by The Times of India or TNN - Times Network News?).
- 18 Jul 2011 - a statement on the Chief Minister of Kerala website said "A UAE Consulate will be opened in Kerala within a year. This was conveyed by the UAE Ambassador to India Mohamed Sultan Al Owais after holding a meeting with Oommen Chandy. The Kerala government had written a letter on June 2 regarding this and the UAE Ambassador responded to this letter in June 6." Which seemed to contradict reports at the beginning of July that neither India or the UAE had made a request to open a consulate. Location of new consulate not decided, or provided if it was, although a previous report had said it would be in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum).
- 01 Jul 2011 - following reports that the UAE planned to open a consulate in Kerala, the Indian ambassador to the UAE, MK Lokesh, after meetings with the UAE foreign minister, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed, and the Indian external affairs minister, S M Krishna, gave confusing statements about a new UAE consulate in India (reported in The National - "No request for UAE consulate in Kerala"):
- "There is no proposal from the UAE to open more consulates in India ... There was no formal request from Indian officials that the UAE open another consulate in India, either. The matter was not discussed at any official stage."
- "At an informal level, the issue of opening more consulates in India - including Kerala - was discussed."
- 19 Jun 2011 - a Gulf News report said Speaking exclusively to Gulf News, Indian Minister of state for External Affairs and Human Resource Development E. Ahmad, who was on a short visit to the UAE recently, said the imminent opening of the UAE Consulate in Kerala is a symbol of close cooperation between two countries. And that the new consulate would be set up in state capital Tiruvanandapuram.
- 07 Jun 2011 (WAM) - UAE ambassador to India Mohammed Sultan Al-Owais and Chief Minister of Kerala Oommen Chandy have discussed the UAE's relations with India and Kerala. Media reports did not mention setting up a UAE consulate in Kerala.
Travel and flights to India from the UAE
Airlines operating direct flights between India and the UAE
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH)
- Air Arabia Abu Dhabi: no destinations in India announced (as of Nov 2019). On 06 Nov 2019, Air Arabia issued a statement denying any previous media reports speculating that Air Arabia might take over Jet Airways slots at AUH.
- Etihad Airways (EY): Chennai (MAA), Kochi (COK), Hyderabad (HYD).
- Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC): no direct flights.
- Dubai International Airport (DXB)
- Emirates Airline (EK) (Terminal 3): Ahmedabad, Bangalore (Bengaluru), Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kochi (Cochin), Kolkata, Mumbai, Thiruviana ... Thiravan ... Thinvanan ... That-place-with-the-long-name-starting-with-th.
- FlyDubai (FZ) (Terminal 2): Ahmedabad, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kochi, Lucknow, Mumbai.
- Ras Al Khaimah International Airport (RKT): no direct flights.
- Sharjah International Airport (SHJ)
- Air Arabia (G9): Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kochi, Kozhikode (Calicut), Mumbai, Nagpur, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Air India
- Air India Express
- Go Air (G8) (from AUH)
- [×] Jet Airways, grounded in April 2019.
- Vistara (UK) (from DXB)
|City or location||Airport||Airlines||Mission||Notes|
|Ahmedabad||EK, FZ, G9|
|Bangalore (Bengaluru)||EK, G9|
|Chennai||MAA||EK, EY, FZ, G9|
|Delhi (New Delhi)||DEL||EK, FZ, G9||UAE Embassy|
|Hyderabad||HYD||EK, EY, FZ, G9|
|Kochi||COK||EK, EY, FZ, G9|
|Mumbai||BOM||EK, FZ, G9||UAE Consulate|
|Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala||EK, G9||UAE Consulate|
Indians in the UAE
- Population, groups, services.
Emiratis in India
- Students, tourists.
- Indian Workers Centre UAE, Pravasi Bharatiya Sahayata Kendra, website www.pbskuae.com. MEA initiative. Tel toll-free (in UAE) 800-46342 (800-India). Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Languages spoken: English, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu. Walk-in counters Sat-Thu 0900-1900 (closed Fri).
The curious case of the search for India, Nov 2019 expedition
- UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs India search results: "sorry, we couldn't find any results matching 'India'" for content and service only, not news option selected. Search page www.mofaic.gov.ae/search?query=India&page=1. To be fair, it's not just India that got lost, similar results for other countries ... except UAE, that was ok.
- Parent category: UAE foreign relations.
- Child pages: none
- Related pages: Consulates in Dubai, Embassies in Abu Dhabi, UAE embassies abroad.
- www.mea.gov.in/indian-mission.htm?2/United_Arab_Emirates - India Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- sp.mofaic.gov.ae/EN/DiplomaticMissions/Embassies/India/Pages/home.aspx - UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MOFAIC).
Last update Wednesday 27-Nov-2019.
- Entry visas for the UAE
- Foreign missions in the UAE
- www.cgidubai.gov.in - Indian Consulate in Dubai official website. Also www.cgidubai.com (offline 2016).
- www.indembassyuae.gov.in - Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi official website. Also www.indembassyuae.org (offline May 2019).
- www.uaeembassy-newdelhi.com - UAE embassy and consulates in India official website.
- www.mofaic.gov.ae - UAE MFA website, for India page (URL varies): Home > Menu > scroll down to Missions > UAE Missions Abroad > Republic of India.
- [India] www.mofaic.gov.ae/missions/UAE-Missions-Abroad/UAE-Missions-Abroad-Details?countryId=b3e3dad0-b35f-4872-8981-d8fdd0ec6e6d
- [New Delhi embassy] sp.mofaic.gov.ae/EN/DiplomaticMissions/Embassies/India/Pages/home.aspx.
- [Kerala consulate] sp.mofaic.gov.ae/EN/consulates/Kerala/Pages/home.aspx.
- [Mumbai consulate] No page or not public (yet?).
- [Disabled] Submit URL.