Total Population of the UAE
United Arab Emirates (UAE) population statistics
Total population of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) data, statistics, estimates and figures. Generally, population data for the UAE is somewhat unreliable given that a census is rarely held, and for various reasons, even when there is a census, that data could be suspect (for example inhabitants of overpopulated villas will probably be reluctant to draw attention to themselves, similarly for unmarried couples living together, or those living in the UAE on repeated visit visas). Some estimates and numbers in the table below.
|2021||?||government.ae, aiming for "balance"||50%?||6.1 million||UNCTAD||26 Dec 2010|
|2018 Jul||9.27 million||Dubai Statistics Centre, dsc.gov.ae|
|2018 Jul||9,701,315||cia.gov UAE Factbook|
|2018 May||8.1 million||bbc.com UAE country profile|
|2017 Jul||9,701,315||cia.gov UAE Factbook|
|2017-mid||9,400,145||UN estimate, World Bank||12%|
|2015||8.9 million||scad.ae, WAM|
|2014||5,628,8054||CIA estimate (from 2005 NBS census)||Jul 2014|
|2013||9.2 million||World Bank 2014 Doing Business report||29 Oct 2013|
|2010||4,067,178||World Gazetter, calculation||unknown|
|2010||13.3%||7.56 million||Tanmia||25 Jan 2010|
|2010||8,264,0703||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||03 Apr 2011||11.5%|
|2009||6,647,945||The Economist Global Debt Clock||07 Oct 2010|
|2009||8,199,996||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||31 Mar 2011|
|2009||8.19 million||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||30 May 2010|
|2009||6 million||Employment and visa info (GN)||07 Oct 2009||16.5%|
|2008||8,073,626||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||31 Mar 2011|
|2008||8.07 million||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||30 May 2010|
|2008||4.76 million||UAE Ministry of Economy estimate||25 Sep 2008|
|2007||6,219,006||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||31 Mar 2011|
|2007||4.48 million||UAE Ministry of Economy estimate||25 Sep 2008|
|2006||5,012,384||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||31 Mar 2011|
|2005||5.63 million||UAE population report||2006||15.4%|
|2005||3,380,730||World Gazetter, UAE Census|
|2005||4,106,427||National Bureau of Statistics UAE||31 Mar 2011|
|2005||4,104,695||National Census in 2005||2005||20.1%|
|2003||4,041,000||World Gazetter, estimate|
|1999||2,938,000||World Gazetter, estimate|
|1995||2,411,041||UAE Census (TN)||31 May 2010|
|1995||2,377,453||World Gazetter, UAE Census||24.4%|
|1995||1,886,708||World Gazetter, UAE Census|
|1985||1,622,300||World Gazetter, UAE Census|
|1985||1,095,577||World Gazetter, UAE Census|
|1980||842,415||World Gazetter, UAE Census|
|1975||557,887||UAE Census (TN)||31 May 2010||30.5%|
|1975||468,287||World Gazetteer, UAE Census|
|1904||80,000||Frauke Heard-Bey - Tribal Society|
- Population statistics and figures are assumed to be as at the end of the year unless otherwise noted.
- Numbers and sources in italics are unconfirmed.
- Tanmia is The National Human Resources Development and Employment Authority.
- The UAE was founded in December 1971. Figures prior to that are attempted totals for the seven emirates that became the UAE.
- %tage UAE is percentage of resident population represented by UAE National citizens (Emiratis).
- World Population Prospects: The 2008 Revision, Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat (UN DESA or UN ESA?). Figures using Medium Variant as input criteria. Variation of ±1% for 2015 up to ±10% for 2050.
- Estimated figure for mid-2010 according to data released 31 March 2011 by the UAE National Statistics Bureau. Calculated according to the formula Current Estimate = 2005 Census population + Births - Deaths + Immigrants - Emigrants since 2005 Census. Figures for Births and Deaths from the UAE Ministry of Health, figures for Immigrants and Emigrants based on residence visas issued, renewed, and cancelled from the UAE Ministry of the Interior.
- CIA Factbook estimate for Jul 2014 is the 2005 census figure from the UAE NBS, which is a bit misleading since the population has increased substantially since then. However, as of Jan 2014, the UAE NBS has not published any updated population figures since 2011 (estimate for 2010, census for 2005).
UAE Population by Emirate
Emirates listed in order from most populous to least populated with figures from 2005 census, and from 2008 (source unknown)
|Emirate||2005 Females||2005 Males||2005 Total²||2008³||2009||2010||2011||2012|
|Abu Dhabi¹||442,050||850,069||1,292,119||1,548,655||1,967,6595||2.33 million7|
|Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)||17,940||27,816||45,756||171,903|
|Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)||45,165||73,452||118,617||69,936|
|Percentage of total||32.4%||67.6%||100%|
- Abu Dhabi was more populous than Dubai up until 2008, after which Dubai had a higher population.
- Figures do not include and estimated 335,615 non-nationals not counted in the census. Total population of the UAE including that number is 4,104,695. Figures also do not include visitors to the UAE, which numbered 765,682 for the month of December 2005 according to Ministry of Interior data (when the census was conducted).
- Abu Dhabi includes population of Al Ain (651,904), Fujairah includes population of Dibba (30,000), Sharjah includes population of Khorfakkan (49,635)
- Dubai Statistics Center Population Estimations & Predictions 2007-2010.
- Statistics Center Abu Dhabi (SCAD) Abu Dhabi Statistical Yearbook 2011.
- Dubai Statistics Center figure for end of 2011, comprises 1,536,380 men and 466,790 women (reported 01 April 2012). Also reported was the daytime population of Dubai increases to 3,023,426.
- 09 Oct 2013 (news release) Abu Dhabi emirate population in mid-2012 was 2.33 million, made up of estimates for Abu Dhabi Region (1.42 million), Al Ain region (0.63 million), Western or Al Gharbia region (0.29 million). Figures reported by the Statistics Centre Abu Dhabi (SCAD) in the 2013 Yearbook of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi (released on Mon 07 Oct 2013).
- 2020 Dubai: Colliers International report (from 2015 or 2014) said population of Dubai expected to be 3.5 million. Reported 23-24 Aug 2015?
Proportion of UAE population made up of Emirati citizens
The proportion varies by emirate, with the lowest percentage in Dubai (about 10-15% Emirati), followed by Abu Dhabi (about 20% Emirati). Overall for the UAE, citizens make up about 20% of the total population.
- Abu Dhabi emirate - about 20% of the population are UAE nationals, the other 80% are expat residents (mid-2012 data reported 09 Oct 2013).
UAE population by nationality (foreigners, expat residents)
- American - see USA.
- Asian countries, including Afghanistan, China, Iran, Korea, Philippines, Thailand but excluding India, Pakistan, Bangladesh - 1 million (Gulf News 07 Oct 2009).
- Bangladesh - 500,000 (GN 07 Oct 2009). About 700,000 Bangladeshis living in the UAE (GN 27 Aug 2012).
- Britain - about 100,000 British residents in the UAE (GN 10 Nov 2012).
- Canada - 40,000 Canadians live in the UAE, 150 companies operate in the UAE (AFP 28 May 2013). 25,000 Canadians live in the UAE, 200 Canadian companies operate in the UAE (UAE Ambassador to Canada statement reported by Reuters 29 Dec 2010).
- 300,000 Chinese expats in the UAE reported 31 Mar 2016 (WAM). Also about 4,000 Chinese companies (4,200 reported in Dec 2015) and 250 commercial agencies.
- 200,000 Chinese expatriates in the UAE according to the Chinese Embassy in Abu Dhabi (24 Aug 2011).
- Czech Republic - about 1,500 citizens, mostly in Dubai, according to the Czech ambassador to the UAE, Alexander Sporys, at the opening ceremony of the new Czech Embassy in Abu Dhabi (Thu 12 Feb 2015).
- Emirati - see separate section above.
- European Union - 160,000 EU citizens live in the UAE (2012 data reported 27 Feb 2014 by WAM).
- Finland - about 900 Finns living in the UAE (24 Mar 2010, embassy website information).
- Greece - estimate of 3,500-4,000 by Hrach Kalsahakian, founder of the website www.emiratesgreeks.com (The National 03 Mar 2012).
- India - 2.2 million Indians with about 1 million from Kerala (TN 12 Jan 2014). Previous figure 1.75 million residents (Gulf News 07 Oct 2009, same figure in TN 01 Jul 2011), and about half of them from Kerala (TN 01 Jul 2011). Or 1.5 million residents (Arabian Business 29 Jun 2011).
- Italy - about 4,000 residents according to Gianluca Capelli Bigazzi, press attache at the Italian embassy in Abu Dhabi. He appeared to refer to the UAE but it's possible he meant just Abu Dhabi (TN 03 Mar 2012). Italy - about 4,000 Italians live in the UAE (TN 03 Jun 2012).
- Japan - about 3,500 Japanese living in the UAE, about 300 Japanese companies (Etihad Airways press release 22 Aug 2012).
- Krygyz Republic - about 3,000 Kyrgyzstan nationals live in the UAE (FlyDubai press release 10 Jan 2012).
- The Netherlands - about 5,000 Dutch nationals and 300 Dutch companies in the UAE (WAM 15 Jan 2013).
- Pakistan - 1.25 million (GN 07 Oct 2009).
- 17 Nov 2016, about 850,000 Filipinos in UAE as target readership of Kabayan Weekly newspaper.
- 23 Mar 2014 - about 700,000 Filipino workers according to reports about the cancelled Emirates Airlines flights to Clark International Airport (original source of figure not given).
- 06 Sep 2013 - about 600,000 according to the Filipino ambassador to the UAE in a report about PAL flights to Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
- 17 Jan 2013 - about 700,000 according to a press release about Cebu Pacific launching daily flights to Dubai.
- 06 Jan 2012 - about 600,000 according to an HSBC survey of the friendliest countries to live in for expats (the UAE came last), reported by Forbes 06 Jan 2012.
- Dec 2010 - about 636,000 Filipinos live in the UAE according to estimates from the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (the UAE is the 4th most popular destination for Filipinos to live in afer USA, Saudi Arabia, and Canada).
- Russia - about 25,000 Russians live in the UAE, about 400 Russian-UAE joint venture companies (WAM 23 Oct 2012 - quoting the CEO of Etihad Airways, James Hogan). About 80,000 Russians in the UAE according to The National 20 Nov 2013 but source given was the same WAM report from 2012, unknown how 25,000 became 80,000.
- South Korea - about 10,000 Koreans living in the UAE at end of 2012 (South Korean Ambassador letter Jun 2013).
- Slovakia (Slovak Republic) - about 2,000 Slovak citizens living in the UAE (08 Jun 2014 news release about visit to UAE by Slovak Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign and European Affairs, Miroslav Lajcák).
- Sri Lanka - about 300,000 Sri Lankans living in the UAE (Gulf News 28 Feb 2015).
- UAE - see separate section above.
- USA - about 40,000 expats in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and other emirates (01 Jun 2015 news reports, original source not given).
- Western expatriates, including Australia, Europe, Africa, Latin America - 500,000 (GN 07 Oct 2009).
- Yemen - about 90,000 Yemenis live in the UAE (press release 02 Sep 2013 announcing launch of Etihad Airways flights to Sana'a).
See also following pages for expat population figures by emirate.
Male to female population ratio in the UAE
- There are more than twice as many males as females living in the UAE. This is due partly to the high proportion of men working in the construction industry and other similar labour class employment.
UAE census dates
- 2010 - scheduled for April 2010. Gulf News reported 23 Nov 2009 that the Population and Building Census 2010 would cost AED 65 million, and that 10,000 experts and analysts, including 8,000 statistics officials, would carry out the survey. But nobody noticed. Well, it turned out to have been cancelled.
- 2005 - carried out from 06-31 December 2005? Not everyone filled out the survey forms or answered the door though. Unknown what the percentage of non-respondents was.
- 1995 - UAE population 2.41 million
- 1975 - UAE population 557,887
- 1968 - first census, organised by the Trucial States Council for Dubai (58,971 people) and other emirates (74,880) excluding Abu Dhabi. In Abu Dhabi at the same time, the Department of Planning carried out a census (46,375).
Abu Dhabi Census 2011
- 03 November 2011 - field operations completed for Abu Dhabi Census 2011 according to an announcement by Statistics Center Abu Dhabi (SCAD) on 29 October 2011. Provisional results expected to be released by end December 2011, and final results to be released in May 2012.
- On 06 April 2011 The National reported that plans to conduct a door-to-door census have been shelved indefinitely, but it wasn't clear from the report how they arrived at that conclusion. Update: Census underway for Abu Dhabi emirate during October 2011.
Last update Sunday 17-Mar-2019. Page development 3D 4L 5C.
- Embassies and consulates in UAE - general information
- GCC countries population - figures for other countries in the Gulf region.
- Jobs in Dubai
- List of UAE government ministries
- www.tedad.ae - website for the 2005 UAE Census, in Arabic and English, but 2005 census statistics and results not available?
- www.uaestatistics.gov.ae - UAE National Bureau of Statistics official website
- [Disabled] Submit URL.