List of cities in UAE
List of main cities and towns in the UAE
List of main cities and towns in the UAE by population - Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah RAK, Umm Al Quwain UAQ, information about the largest and most populous cities. The top 5 or biggest cities in the UAE are (in descending order by population of city):
2 & 3. Abu Dhabi & Sharjah metropolitan areas have a similar population, 1.2-1.3 million in 2015.
4. Al Ain, population about 500,000 in 2015.
5. Ajman, population about 350,000 in 2015.
Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) is also usually regarded as one of the major UAE cities, with a population of about 250,000 in 2015.
Population figures in table below are given for the city, not the emirate. Each UAE emirate has an emirate capital city with the same name as the emirate (emirates or states are the primary political or administrative divisions of the UAE, with each "state" governed by a royal ruling family). For a small emirate like Ajman, most of the population lives in Ajman City. For the much larger emirate of Abu Dhabi, a larger proportion of the emirate's population lives outside Abu Dhabi City. Note that Al Ain is not an emirate, it is a city in the Al Ain Region in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.
City or town name
Capital cities of each emirate
|[2007 or earlier (!)]|
|Dubai||Dubai||1,137,3471||Daytime population increases to 3.8m (2016 Dubai Statistics Center, for Dubai emirate not city).|
|Abu Dhabi||Abu Dhabi||603,4921|
|Ras Al Khaimah||RAK||115,9491|
|Umm Al Quwain||UAQ||44,4111|
Global cities in UAE
|Abu Dhabi||The Economist 2012 Global City Competitiveness Index, rank 41st, 2nd in Middle East.|
|Dubai||The Economist 2012 Global City Competitiveness Index, rank 40th, 1st in Middle East.|
Other major towns and cities in UAE
|Al Ain||Abu Dhabi||408,7331||Al Ayn, AlAin|
|Jebel Ali||Dubai||Jabal Ali, Jabel Ali, Jebal Ali|
|Khorfakkan||33,5751||On east coast, Khor Fakkan|
|Dibba Al Fujairah||30,0001||On east coast|
|Diba Al Sharjah||26,3951||On east coast|
|Kalba||On east coast|
|Khalifa City A||Abu Dhabi||Renamed as Khalifa City (Madinat Khalifa).|
|Khalifa City B||Abu Dhabi||Renamed as Shakhbout City.|
|Khalifa City C||Abu Dhabi||Renamed?|
|MBZ City||Abu Dhabi||Mohammed Bin Zayed City|
|Mussaffah||Abu Dhabi||Musaffah, Mussafa, etc|
|Officers City||Abu Dhabi||Renamed as Abu Dhabi Gate City Dec 2010.|
|Police Officers City||Abu Dhabi||Part of MBZ City or Mussafah Community?|
|Madinat Zayed||Abu Dhabi||Capital of Al Gharbia (Western Region).|
|Madinat Zayed||Abu Dhabi||District in Abu Dhabi city (renamed as Al Danah).|
Other towns and villages in Dubai
|2016 figures (DSC)|
|Al Awir, Al Aweer (1 & 2)||711 & 721||6,732||Part of Dubai city urban area?|
|Al Faqa||945||370||At Abu Dhabi emirate border on Al Ain Rd. Al Faga'a, Al Fagga, Al Faqqa, Al Faqaa.|
|Al Lesaily, Al Lisaily||2,514||Al Lesaili, Al Lesailly, Al Lisaili, Al Lisailli|
|Al Meryal||735||709||Different from Mereiyel (821).|
|Hatta||891||12,200||Exclave of Dubai, not an exclave of the UAE.|
|Lahbab, Lehbab (1 & 2)||731 & 831||3,822|
|Margab, Murqab||857||479||Murqquab, Marqab, Murgab|
|Mereiyeel||821||1,075||Different from Al Meryal (735).|
|Nazwa, Nazwah||736||Dubai-Sharjah border, most of town in Sharjah.|
|Jebel Ali||Part of Dubai city urban area?|
|Al Quoz||Part of Dubai city urban area. Wiki lists as separate town, why?|
Municipalities in UAE
|Municipalities in Abu Dhabi|
|Abu Dhabi Municipality|
|Al Ain Municipality|
|Al Gharbia Municipality|
|Municipalities in Dubai|
|Municipalites in Sharjah|
|Sharjah City Municipality|
|Al Hamriyah Municipality|
|Al Batayeh Municipality|
|Al Dhaid Municipality|
|Al Madam Municipality|
|Dibba Al Hesn Municipality||Diba Al Hisn|
|Maleha Municipality||Mileha, Miliha|
Places with "city" in the name
|Al Ain Industrial City I, II||Al Ain|
|Hili Fun City||Al Ain||Amusement park in Hili district|
|Al Adla (Adlah) City?||Abu Dhabi|
|Building Materials City||Abu Dhabi||MBZ City|
|ICAD Residential City||Abu Dhabi||Mussafah|
|Industrial City Abu Dhabi (ICAD)||Abu Dhabi||Mussafah, ICAD I, II, III|
|Masdar City||Abu Dhabi|
|Shamkha City||Abu Dhabi|
|Sheikh Shakbout (Shakbut) City||Abu Dhabi||New name for Khalifa City B.|
|Bowling City||Dubai||Ten pin bowling, not residential|
|City Centre Deira||Shopping mall|
|City Centre Me'aisem (Meaisem)||Shopping mall|
|City Centre Mirdif (Mirdiff)||Shopping mall|
|City Centre Shindagha||Shopping mall|
|City of Arabia||Dubai||Dubailand||Mega project in Dubailand|
|City Walk (Citywalk)||Dubai||Shopping area and residential|
|Culture Village||Bur Dubai|
|Dragon City||Where Dragonmart mall is?|
|Dream City||Not an area, is a name used by some companies in Dubai.|
|Dubai Academic City (DAC)||Dubai||Al Awir District||See Dubai International Academic City (DIAC)|
|Dubai Aladdin City||Proposed development?|
|Dubai Chess City||See International Chess City.|
|Dubai Children's City||Educational fun park, not residential|
|Dubai Design District (D3)|
|Dubai Dome City||Reference to different possible projects?|
|Dubai Education City||Doesn't exist, see DAC or DIAC|
|Dubai Endurance City||Dubai International Endurance City|
|Dubai Exhibition City|
|Dubai Fashion City||Proposed project near Palm Jebel Ali?|
|Dubai Festival City (DFC)||Creek District||Dubai Festival Centre|
|Dubai Furniture City||See Furniture City|
|Dubai Golf City|
|Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC)||Medical free zone, not residential|
|Dubai Industrial City||DWC|
|Dubai International Academic City|
|Dubai International City||See International City|
|Dubai Internet City||IT free zone, not residential|
|Dubai Knowledge Park||Education free zone, not residential, previously Knowledge Village.|
|Dubai Lifestyle City||Dubai||Dubailand||Not the same as Dubai Fashion City.|
|Dubai Logistics City|
|Dubai Maritime City|
|Dubai Media City||Media free zone, not residential|
|Dubai Motor City||Dubai Motorcity|
|Dubai Mountain City||Dubai||AED 12bn project announced Dec 2004 by Al Hashemi and Al Salem groups. Not built.|
|Dubai Outlet City||Dubai||Dubailand||Dubai factory outlet mall|
|Dubai Outsource City|
|Dubai Production City|
|Dubai Residential City||DWC||Dubai World Central|
|Dubai Science Park
|Dubai Smart City||Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO) Smart City or Dubai Smart City?|
|Dubai Sports City||Mixed use, sports themed|
|Dubai Studio City||Media free zone, not residential|
|Dubai Sustainable City||See The Sustainable City|
|Dubai Textile City|
|Falcon City of Wonders||Falconcity|
|Fun City||Branded leisure center for kids in GCC malls|
|Furniture City||Dubai||Bonyan International Group. Cancelled?|
|Global Village||Dubai||Amusement park and flea market, not residential|
|International Chess City||AED 10bn project announced Aug 2004 by Armada Group. Not built.|
|International City||Dubai||Cheap apartments with country-based themes|
|Jumeirah City||Surprisingly, doesn't exist ... yet|
|Jumeirah Village Circle (JVC)||Not in Jumeirah|
|Jumeirah Village Square||Doesn't exist|
|Jumeirah Village Triangle (JVT)||Not in Jumeirah|
|Mohammed Bin Rashid City||Dubai||Dubailand||MBR City, Dubailand|
|Old Town Dubai||Downtown Dubai apartments, new not old|
|Smart City Dubai||Dubai smart cities project, or DSO Smart City?|
|The Forbidden City||Part of International City in Al Awir|
|The Sustainable City||Part of the Sustainable Cities project?|
|Warsan Village||Part of International City in Al Awir|
|Waterfront City||Dubai Waterfront City (Water Front City) planned?|
|Sharjah Media City||Sharjah||Free Zone, also called Shams|
|Sharjah Publishing City||Sharjah||Free Zone (SPCFZ)|
|Sharjah University City||Sharjah||Tertiary education area|
|Al Salam City||UAQ||Al Salamah district in Umm Al Quwain?|
|Al Karamah||Proposed UAE capital city between AUH and DXB|
|Capital District (New Khalifa City?)||Abu Dhabi||Proposed development in Abu Dhabi|
|New Khalifa City||Abu Dhabi||Capital District renamed in Nov 2013.|
|New Port City||Abu Dhabi|
|Umm Al Quwain University City||UAQ||Unknown, no information supplied|
|Zayed City||Abu Dhabi||Capital District renamed (in Nov 2013?).|
- Population figures from geonames.org, original sources not given, date not given but appears to be figures from 2007 or earlier. As of Jun 2017, geonames data unchanged except for Dibba (location change from Sharjah to Fujairah). Many websites use the geonames data but with an obviously incorrect reference date. UAE city populations are substanially higher as of Jun 2017 (most recent check of geonames data). Assume city populations have more than doubled from 2007 to 2017.
- Parent category - UAE. Possibly emirate pages.
- Child pages - cities, towns.
- Related pages - list of emirates in UAE, list of megaprojects Abu Dhabi - Dubai - UAE, communities in Abu Dhabi - Dubai etc, population of the UAE, list of GCC countries.
- Is Dubai a country or a city?
- Dubai is not a country. Dubai the name of both a city and an emirate. Dubai, the city, is part of Dubai, the emirate, which is one of 7 emirates which make up the country called the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Is Dubai the capital of the UAE?
- No, Abu Dhabi city is the capital of the UAE, and also the capital of the emirate of Abu Dhabi. Dubai city is the capital of the emirate of Dubai, but not the capital of the UAE.
- How many cities are there in Dubai?
- There is only one city in the emirate of Dubai: the city of Dubai. Dubai is not a country. There are however, 3-8 cities in the United Arab Emirates, a nation which Dubai emirate is a part of. Any other urban areas in the emirate of Dubai are either part of the Dubai metropolitan area or too small to be called a city. Hatta is the largest town outside the Dubai city area but still in the emirate of Dubai.
- How many cities does the UAE have? How many cities are in UAE?
- Including the main or biggest cities of each emirate, there are 8 cities in the UAE: Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Sharjah, Umm Al Quwain (UAQ). There are many more districts or metropolitan areas with the word "city" in the name but they are generally part of one of the previously listed cities, e.g. Khalifa City A or B, Masdar City, and numerous versions of Dubai "something" City. If a city is regarded as an urban area with population of more than 75,000 or 100,000 (not a strict definition but referenced by Wikipedia from Doxiadis' settlement heirarchy or population heirarchy from his book Ekistics), then there are 7 cities in the UAE. Umm Al Quwain would be a "large town". However, politically, UAQ would be considered to be a city as it is the largest city in the emirate of UAQ, and the capital city of UAQ. However (take 2), Wikipedia also says (on its City page) that a definition of city by minimum population size is commonly "between 1,500 and 50,000 people".
- What are the major cities of United Arab Emirates?
- Major cities, as in large cities, are Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah. By population size, Fujairah is a small city, UAQ is a large town. If a major city is considered to be one with a population of more than 1 million, then there are only 3 major cities in the UAE: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Sharjah. Al Ain might increase to a population of 1 million by 2025-2030.
- List of largest cities in UAE (biggest, main)
- List of cities in Dubai UAE
- Only one city in Dubai, see FAQ "How many cities in Dubai?"
- List of top cities in UAE
- List of most populous cities in UAE
- Metropolitan areas in UAE
- UAE municipalities, emirate and city governments.
- Dubai Government and Dubai Municipality for Dubai emirate and Dubai city.
- Abu Dhabi Municipality, Al Ain Municipality, Western Region Municipality for respective regions in Abu Dhabi. Also other municipalities covering smaller areas within each municipality or region.
Last update Sunday 13-Oct-2019. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.