World Expo 2020 Dubai UAE
Dubai, UAE, has launched a bid to be the host city for the 2020 World Expo (World Fair) exhibition (exposition).
- There are two types of fairs or exhibitions. A World Expo is held every 5 years, in years ending with a '0' or a '5', and lasts for 6 months. An International Expo is held in one of the years between two World Expos, and lasts for 3 months (for example Yeosu, South Korea in 2012).
- Proposed location of the 2020 World Expo in Dubai is 'Exhibition City', next to Dubai World Central area and Al Maktoum International Airport. A purpose built 400 hectare site will host the World Fair (if the bid is successful) (WAM news report 23 Nov 2011).
- Dubai plans to spend $2 to $4 billion to develop infrastructure for hosting the exhibition (Emirates 24-7 report 28 February 2012).
History and timeline
- 01 Aug 2012 - Five "Premier Partners" announced, official supporters of the UAE bid for the World Expo 2020 to be held in Dubai. Companies are Dubai Airports, Emirates Airline, Emirates NBD, Etisalat, Jumeirah Group.
- 28 June 2012 - "Be part of it" campaign launched in the UAE to encourage awareness and interest, with interactive kiosks located at shopping malls in the UAE. Starts at Deira City Center in Dubai from 28 June to 01 July 2012. Kiosks offer educational activities, photography against 150 global backdrops, prizes, and Expo souvenirs.
- 12 June 2012 - the UAE Higher Committee for Hosting the World Expo 2020 gave a presentation about the bid to host World Expo 2020 in the UAE, at a meeting with Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) in Paris.
- 28 February 2012 - Dubai announces campaign to support its bid to host the 2020 World Expo. Chairman of the Higher Committee for Hosting the 2020 World Expo is Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
- 23 November 2011 (WAM news) - UAE presents its bid to the BIE headquarters in Paris, France, to host the 2020 World Expo in Dubai. WAM article said The UAE has presented a bid to the International Exhibitions Bureau at the conference held today in Paris at head-office of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), to host Expo 2020 in Dubai.
- 02 November 2011 (BIE news release) - the UAE submitted a letter for Dubai to bid as the host city for the 2020 World Fair. BIE news report (undated) said United Arab Emirates submits the candidature of Dubai for the World Expo 2020 on November 2nd, 2011 to the Bureau International des Expositions.
- 28 June 2009 - press release announced that Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler of Dubai, had launched "Dubai 2020" and issued a decree establishing a working group to "explore the potential of Dubai hosting the World Expo and the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2020"
2020 World Expo bidding cities
The Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) will choose the winning bid in November 2013. Text in grey represents abandoned or unconfirmed bids. Deadline for bid submission 02 November 2011 (it wasn't clear if Dubai's bid submission was submitted on time or not - BIE said a bid was submitted 02 November 2011, WAM news said a bid was submitted on 23 November 2011). The 2020 World Expo will run from 04 January to 30 June 2020.
- Ayutthaya, Thailand - website www.thailandexpo2020.com, theme "Balanced Life, Sustainable Living"
- Brisbane, Australia
- Dubai, UAE - slogan/theme "Connecting Minds, Creating the Future", website www.expo2020dubai.ae
- Ekaterinburg - see Yekaterinburg
- Izmir, Turkey - website www.expoizmir.org.tr, theme "New Routes to a Better World, Health for All"
- Houston, USA - website www.expo2020usa.com
- Minneapolis - St Paul, USA
- Sao Paulo, Brazil - website www.saopauloexpo2020.com.br, theme "Power of Diversity, Harmony for Growth"
- Silicon Valley, USA - website www.expo2020siliconvalley.com
- Yekaterinburg (Ekaterinburg), Russia - website blog at expo2020-ekaterinburg.blogspot.com, theme "Global Minds: Uniting All Humanity in a Single Conversation"
World Expo locations before 2020
- 2015 World Expo - Milan, Italy ("Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life")
- 2010 World Expo - Shanghai, China ("Better City - Better Life")
- 1851 - first World Fair, held in London, UK
- 2012 - the UAE Pavilion opened on Saturday 12 May 2012 at Expo 2012 Yeosu, South Korea (open from 12 May 2012 to 12 August 2012). The exhibition showcases the connections between Emiratis and the ocean, organised by the UAE National Media Council (NMC). The pavilion has 5 areas - 1. exterior facade with greeting and timeline, 2. entrance area with interactive presentations and games, 3. an underwater (pretend) sea-tunnel, 4. theater with mini-feature film, 5. and exit area with an exit.
- 2011, November - the UAE Pavilion from the Shanghai Expo relocated to Saadiyat Island near the Al Manarat Exhibition Center, open to the public as an exhibition and events venue. Abu Dhabi Art 2011 hosted at the UAE Pavilion 16-19 November 2011.
- 2010 World Expo Shanghai - the UAE Pavilion was established in the shape of a sand dune. Designed by Foster and Partners.
- Previous UAE Pavilions at World Expo events in Hanover, Lisbon, Seville, Syracuse.
Last update Thursday 09-Aug-2012. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.