Flag of the UAE
Flag of the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
United Arab Emirates (UAE) flag, design, history, colors. UAE Flag Day each year on 03 November. Flag design by Abdullah Mohammed Al Mainah from Abu Dhabi, competition winner in 1971. Presidential Flag, marine flag, emblem and coat of arms.
The UAE flag design and colors
The UAE flag has a vertical red band on the pole side, adjacent to 3 horizontal bands, green, white, and black from top to bottom. The flag design was the winning entry in a competition held in 1971, designed by a 19 year old Emirati from Abu Dhabi, Abdullah Mohammed Al Mainah (Abdulla Mohamed Al Maeena, Al Maainah, Al Ma'enah, Almaainah). Well, technically he was probably not an Emirati at the time since the competition was held first, then the UAE was founded.
He then carried on with a career in the UAE diplomatic service. There are probably not so many ambassadors around the world who look at a flag they designed when they get to the office every morning.
UAE Flag Day
UAE Flag Day is held on 03 November each year, the anniversary of the inauguration of Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahayan as UAE President in 2004. It is also a remembrance of the founding of the UAE in 1971, and the founding fathers Sheikh Zayed of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Rashid of Dubai, and rulers of the other emirates. First announced by Sheikh Mohammed in November 2013.
Flag Day is not a UAE official public holiday.
The UAE Coat of Arms, UAE Emblem
A bit more historical background, the UAE emblem (coat-of-arms) design was also the winning entry of a competion held in 1971, designed by Zabia Khamis (Zabya Khamis) (Dabbya Khamees), a young lady from Abu Dhabi. The emblem became official on 09 Dec 1971 (other sources say 1973), and the design was modified in 23 Mar 2008, the main difference being replacement of the dhow in the centre of the falcon with a UAE flag.
Flags in emirates of the UAE
|Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)|
|Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)|
- UAE flag rules.
- Union House Flag Pole.
- UAE Flag Garden, Kite Beach, Jumeirah, Dubai.
- Variations: Presidential Flag, state flag, standard, ensign, civil ensign, marine flag, national ensign, naval ensign, yacht ensign, merchant ensign.
- Fun with Flags episode about Dubai and the UAE. No, Sheldon didn't do one that we could find, we'll send a request.
- Vexillology, a vexatious subject for people who don't enjoy "Fun with Flags", not vexology.
- Parent category: United Arab Emirates, UAE Government.
- Child pages: flags for each emirate, UAE Flag Day.
- Related pages (or categories - pages in footer): UAE public holidays.
- UAE Coat of Arms, Emblem: "Our Emirates" by Ministry of Interior, publication date not clear (31 Dec 2012 or later).
- UAE Flag Day: www.uaecabinet.ae/en/details/prime-ministers-initiatives/uae-flag-day.
- UAE flag history and design (most other more recent sources seem to lead back to either flagdom, TN, or GN):
- [23 Jul 2009] www.flagdom.com/international-flags/united-arab-emirates-flag, seems to be oldest unofficial reference found.
- [01 Nov 2011] www.thenational.ae/uae/teen-who-designed-uae-s-national-flag-was-in-a-flutter-1.585290, an interview with the UAE flag designer, should be fairly authoritative.
- [02 Dec 2011] www.gulfnews.com/uae/government/uae-flag-represents-noble-arab-attributes-1.941618
- [05 Oct 2015 or 15 Sep 2015] www.nce.gov.ae/en/article/412/علم-الإمارات (in English), National Cultural Encyclopedia, the best UAE government source we found with reference to the flag's designer. Not cited anywhere that we could find.
- General: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KThPItWJrs, "Know what the UAE flag means", Khaleej Times 04 Nov 2015.
Last update Sunday 03-Nov-2019.
- United Arab Emirates - general information.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.