Acronyms used in Dubai and the UAE
Dubai and UAE acronyms and abbreviations
A list of common acronyms and abbreviations used in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, and other UAE emirates. It is not a comprehensive or complete list, nor is it a best or top acronyms list. List is in alphabetical order sorted on acronym.
- AAN - 3 letter IATA airport code for Al Ain Airport, a city (not an emirate) in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.
- ABD: common abbreviation for Abu Dhabi emirate or city. ABD is not the IATA airport code for Abu Dhabi International Airport (code is AUH).
- ACCI: Ajman Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Chairman Abdullah Al Muwaiji.
- AD: common two-letter abbreviation for Abu Dhabi emirate or city. AD is not the two-letter country code for the UAE (code is AE).
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company
- Abu Dhabi Autism Center
- ADCB - Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank.
- ADDC - Abu Dhabi Distribution Company, distributes water and electricity in Abu Dhabi emirate.
- ADEC - Abu Dhabi Education Council, education regulator for Abu Dhabi emirate. Renamed ADEK.
- ADEK - Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge. Previously ADEC.
- ADMC - Abu Dhabi Media Company.
- ADNEC - Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre.
- ADNOC - Abu Dhabi National Oil Company.
- ADSM - Abu Dhabi Securities Market. Renamed as ADX.
- ADX - Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (new name for Abu Dhabi stock market).
- AE - 2-letter country code for the UAE.
- AED - 3-letter code for the UAE currency, the UAE dirham.
- AJM - three letter abbreviation often used for emirate of Ajman.
- AMAF: Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation, Dubai.
- AP - Advanced Placement - a senior US secondary school qualification offered in some UAE schools.
- ARN - Arabian Radio Network - collection of several UAE and Dubai radio stations.
- ASD - American School of Dubai. A US curriculum school in Dubai, popular with North American expats.
- AUD - American University of Dubai.
- AUH - 3 letter IATA airport code for Abu Dhabi International Airport.
- BSAK - British School Al Khubairat, a popular UK curriculum community school in Abu Dhabi.
- BSME - British Schools Middle East, organisation for UK curriculum schools in the Middle East.
- C4: Carrefour hypermarkets and supermarkets abbreviation. Not so common, or not official, or something.
- CBSE - Central Board of Secondary Education, Indian curriculum.
- CNN - Cable News Network - a US based media organisation with offices in DIC.
- DAC - Dubai Academic City - a collection of schools, colleges and universities.
- DC - Dubai College - a well known UK curriciulum secondary school in Dubai.
- DCC - Deira City Center - a shopping mall owned by Majid Al Futtaim group.
- DCC - Dubai Country Club.
- DDIA - Dubai Development and Investment Authority.
- DED - Department of Economic Development.
- DEWA - Dubai Electricity and Water Authority.
- DFM - Dubai Financial Market.
- Dh (Dhs) - common abbreviation for UAE dirham (currency used in UAE, officially AED).
- DHA - Dubai Health Authority (not Agency).
- DHCC - Dubai Healthcare City (or Dubai Health Care City).
- DIAC - Dubai International Arts Centre.
- DIC - Dubai International Capital, a Dubai government holding company.
- DIC - Dubai Internet City, a Dubai Free Zone for internet related businesses.
- DIFF - Dubai International Film Festival.
- DKP - Dubai Knowledge Park, new name for Dubai Knowledge Village.
- DKV - Dubai Knowledge Village, free zone for educational services in Al Sufouh. Renamed as DKP.
- DLD: Dubai Land Department.
- DLC - Dubai Logistics City, transportion support and warehouses in DWC.
- DMC - Dubai Media City, a Dubai free zone for media related business.
- DMC - Dubai Media Corporation - television production.
- DMI - Dubai Media Incorporated (www.dmi.ae)
- DNRD - Department of Naturalisation and Residency, Dubai.
- DP - Dubai Ports, same as DPW.
- DPW - Dubai Ports World.
- Al Maktoum International Airport in Dubai, previously called Dubai World Central International Airport.
- Dubai World Central, a large development centered around the new airport development in Dubai.
- Dubai World Cup, a posh hat show held annually in Dubai. Winner gets to ride a horse or something.
- DXB - airport code for Dubai, but commonly used as an abbreviation for Dubai on mail etc.
- EBI - Emirates Bank International. Merged with NBD to become Emirates NBD.
- EC - Electoral College - members can nominate themselves for election to the FNC.
- EFAS - Emirates Fine Arts Society.
- EIA - Emirates Insurance Association.
- EIBFS - Emirates Institute for Banking and Financial Studies
- EIM - Emirates Internet and Multimedia (part of Etisalat - a large UAE telecom company).
- EK - IATA airline code for Emirates Airlines, a Dubai-based carrier.
- Abbreviation but not acronym for Emirates General Petroleum Corporation. Most non-Arabic speaking residents will recognise it as one of the gas station brands seen in Dubai and other emirates.
- Not an acronym or abbreviation. Is an Arabic word, in English meaning the Emirates or the UAE (country).
- ENBD - Emirates NBD bank.
- ENOC - Emirates National Oil Company, based in Dubai.
- EPPCO - Emirates Petroleum Products Company, part of ENOC Group.
- ESCA - Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority. Also referred to as the SCA.
- EYFS - Early Years Foundation Stage, a UK curriculum for young ones.
- FAB - First Abu Dhabi Bank. Merger of NBAD and FGB. Was FAB1? Maybe potential confusion with the Thunderbirds FAB 1 pink car prompted a name change.
- FEWA - Federal Electricity and Water Authority, UAE. See also ADDC, DEWA, SEWA.
- FGB - First Gulf Bank. Merged with NBAD to become FAB.
- FNC - Federal National Council.
- FT - Financial Times, a UK based business newspaper, has a print facility in Dubai.
- FUJ - Fujairah (sometimes Fujeirah) - an emirate on the east coast of the UAE.
- FZ-LLC - Free Zone Limited Liability Company.
- GCC - Gulf Cooperation Council, alliance of 6 Arab countries surrounding the Arabian or Persian Gulf (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE).
- GN - Gulf News - a Dubai based English newspaper.
- GSOH - Good Sense of Humor (Humour), often seen in personal classifieds but not in Dubai.
- HCT - Higher Colleges of Technology, tertiary level institute for UAE national students.
- HE - His Excellency
- HH - His Highness
- HRH - Her Royal Highness
- HSBC - Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.
- IATA - International Air Transport Association.
- IB - International Baccalaureate, a popular international school curriculum.
- IBDP or IB DP, IB Diploma Program, senior secondary school course leading to the IB Diploma.
- IBM - Ibn Battutal Mall, shopping mall in Dubai.
- IBMYP or IB MYP, IB Middle Years Program, education intended for 11-16 year old students, from IBO.
- IBO - International Baccalaureate Organisation, IB courses in schools worldwide.
- IBPYP or IB PYP, IB Primary Years Program, similar to IBMYP but, for 5-10 year old students.
- IV - Irish Village, a bar in the Al Garhood area popular with Irish and other nationalities.
- JAFZ - Jebel Ali Free Zone
- JAFZA - Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority
- JBH - Jumeirah Beach Hotel
- JBR - Jumeirah Beach Residences
- JLT - Jumeirah Lakes Towers (not Lake, there were 4 lakes, reduced to 3 lakes).
- JXB - (old, unused) IATA code for Jebel Ali International Airport, renamed, see DWC.
- KCA - Khalifa City A, Abu Dhabi.
- KHDA - Knowledge and Human Development Authority, education regulator for Dubai emirate.
- KSA - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a large country in the Middle East with sand and oil. It sells more oil than sand.
- KT - Khaleej Times, an English newspaper published in the UAE.
- KV - Knowledge Village, see DKV. Renamed as Dubai Knowledge Park (DKP).
- LLC: Limited Liability Company.
- MAF - Majid Al Futtaim group, large family show, well known as owner of several shopping malls in UAE.
- MBC - Middle East Broadcasting Center, media organisation based in DMC.
- HH Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince starting 02 or 03 Nov 2004.
- Mohammed Bin Zayed City in Abu Dhabi.
- MENA: Middle East and North Africa.
- Ministry of Economy (UAE)
- Ministry of Education (UAE)
- Mall of the Emirates, shopping mall, hotel, indoor skifield in Al Barsha, Dubai (MOTE is not used).
- MOHESR - Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- MOL - Ministry of Labour (Labor).
- MOTE - not used, see MOE.
- Musanada: Abu Dhabi General Services Company. Not Musanda.
- NBAD - National Bank of Abu Dhabi. Merged with FGB to become FAB.
- NBD - National Bank of Dubai. Merged with EBI to become Emirates NBD.
- NC - National Curriculum, usually a reference to the National Curriculum for England.
- NEC - National Election Committee.
- NYUAD: New York University Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi.
- PBUH - Peace Be Upon Him, added after writing Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).
- RAK - Ras Al Khaimah, northern most emirate of the UAE, has mountains and in the future, a spaceport. Possibly.
- RAKFTZ - Ras Al Khaimah Free Trade Zone.
- RTA - Roads and Transport Authority (for Dubai).
- SAT (SATs)
- Scholastic Aptitude Test(s), tests used for admission to tertiary level education in USA.
- Standard Attainment Test(s), UK National Curriculum tests (acronym not as common as US SATs).
- SCA - Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority - see ESCA.
- SEWA - Sharjah Electricity and Water Authority.
- SHJ - airport code for Sharjah, also used anywhere else an abbreviation is wanted.
- SOP - Standard Operating Procedure (not unique to Dubai).
- SZR - Sheikh Zayed Road, main highway / racetrack between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Don't ride your bicycle.
- Dubai Technology, Electronic Commerce and Media Free Zone Authority, free zone regulator.
- Area in Al Barsha renamed as Barsha Heights.
- TES - Times Educational Supplement, a UK education newspaper, mostly read by teachers looking for a job.
- TIL - Today I Learned (also but less common: Today I Learnt, Things I Learned, Thought I Learned).
- TRA - Telcommmunications Regulatory Authority, infamous for blocking Skype, YouTube, MySpace, Vonage, ...
- UAE - United Arab Emirates, a middle eastern country located near Dubai.
- UAQ - Umm Al Quwain, the emirate between Ajman and Ras Al Khaimah, north of Dubai.
- UCC - Used Car Complex in Al Aweer, established by Dubai Municipality, sort of a safari park for wild car dealers.
- UNB - Union National Bank.
- Vitamin W - colloquial for Wasta (in Arabic speaking countries). Also slang for Weed (Marijuana) or Whiskey (Whisky).
- WAM - Wakalat Anba'a al Emarat (Emirates News Agency), offical UAE news organisation.
- YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary, means outcomes could differ from predictions or expectations. Not unique to UAE.
- ZU - Zayed University, university for UAE nationals (female).
- ZSC - Zayed Sports City, sports complex in Abu Dhabi.
- Parent category: UAE
- Child pages:
- Related pages: