Acronyms used in Dubai and the UAE
Acronyms and abbreviations in Dubai and UAE
List of common acronyms and abbreviations used in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, and other UAE emirates. It is not a comprehensive or complete list, nor is it a best or top acronyms list. List is in alphabetical order sorted on acronym, after table of abbreviations for emirates, cities, and airports.
What does UAE stand for?
UAE is the abbreviation or acronym for the United Arab Emirates. It's also an acronym for other more obscure expressions, for example: User Agent Entity, Unknown Application Error, University of Aerospace Engineering, Unknown Acronym Expression, Umbrella Astronaut Embassy, Unrecoverable American Executive (or Covfefe), etc.
UAE related abbreviations
- UAE is country or state abbreviation for the United Arab Emirates.
- UAE 2 letter country code abbreviation is AE.
- UAE currency abbreviation is AED, Dh, Dhs, dhs (for "dirham").
- UAE medical abbreviation refers to Uterine Artery Embolization, not related to the country UAE.
- UAE time zone abbreviation is GST, for Gulf Standard Time, UAE time zone is UTC +4 hrs (no daylight saving adjustments).
Airport, city, emirate abbreviations and telephone prefixes in UAE
|3 letter IATA
|United Arab Emirates||country||UAE, ARE||OMAE (FIR)||.ae (TLD)||AE||+971||Mobile prefix 05x|
|dirham||UAE currency||AED||Dh or dh|
|Abu Dhabi||airport, city, emirate||ABD, AUH||AUH||OMAA||AD||AE-AZ||02*||*03 in Al Ain|
|Al Ain||airport, city in Abu Dhabi emirate||AAN||AAN||OMAL||03|
|Al Maktoum Airport||airport in Dubai||DWC||DWC||OMDW||04|
|Dubai||airport, city, emirate||DXB||DXB||OMDB||AE-DU||04||See also DWC|
|Dubai World Central||DWC airport area in Dubai||DWC||04|
|Fujairah||airport, city, emirate||FUJ||FJR||OMFJ||AE-FU||09|
|Ras Al Khaimah||airport, city, emirate||RAK||RKT||OMRK||AE-RK||07|
|Sharjah||airport, city, emirate||SHJ||SHJ||OMSJ||AE-SH||06*||*09 on East Coast|
|Umm Al Quwain||city, emirate||UAQ||AE-UQ||06|
- Note that the UAE does not have area postcodes as are commonly used in countries with home delivery of mail.
- Tel codes 01 reserved but not used, 05 only for mobile numbers, 08 only for 0800 toll free numbers, not as an area code.
- AADC: Al Ain Distribution Company. Subsidiary of ADPC.
- 3 letter IATA airport code for Al Ain International Airport
- common 3 letter abbreviation used for Al Ain city. Al Ain is not an emirate, it is a city in Abu Dhabi emirate.
- ABD: common abbreviation for Abu Dhabi emirate or city, not the airport code for Abu Dhabi Airport (see AUH).
- ACCI: Ajman Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- AD: common two-letter abbreviation for Abu Dhabi emirate or city. AD is not the country code for the UAE (see AE).
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company
- Abu Dhabi Autism Center
- ADCB: Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank. Merged with UNB in 2019, name remained ADCB.
- ADDC: Abu Dhabi Distribution Company, distributes water and electricity in Abu Dhabi emirate, subsidiary of ADWEA and/or ADPC.
- ADDHC: Abu Dhabi Development Holding Company.
- ADEC: Abu Dhabi Education Council, education regulator for Abu Dhabi emirate. Renamed ADEK.
- ADEK: Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge. Previously ADEC.
- ADMC: Abu Dhabi Media Company.
- ADNEC: Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre.
- ADNOC: Abu Dhabi National Oil Company.
- ADP, ADPC, ADPower: Abu Dhabi Power Corporation. ADPC says "owned by" ADDHC. Also parent of ADDC.
- ADSM: Abu Dhabi Securities Market. Renamed as ADX.
- ADWEA: Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, www.adwea.ae (not www.adwea.gov.ae). Merged with RSB to become DOE in Mar 2018. See also ADPC.
- ADWEC: Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company. Renamed or relaunched as EWEC in Nov 2018.
- ADX: Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange, new name for Abu Dhabi stock market.
- AE: 2-letter country code for the UAE.
- AED: 3-letter code for the UAE currency, the UAE dirham.
- AFZ: Ajman Free Zone.
- AJM: three letter abbreviation often used for emirate of Ajman.
- AMAF: Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation, Dubai.
- AMPC: Al Mirfa Power Company, subsidiary of ADPC.
- AP: Advanced Placement - a senior US secondary school qualification offered in some UAE schools.
- ARN: Arabian Radio Network - collection of several UAE and Dubai radio stations.
- ASD: American School of Dubai. A US curriculum school in Dubai, popular with North American expats.
- ATDD: Ajman Tourism Development Department.
- Arabian Travel Market, an annual travel and tourism exhibition in Dubai, first one held in 1993.
- At The Moment, e.g. Go away, I'm busy ATM looking for an ATM at the ATM.
- Automated Teller Machine, available in the UAE and many other countries.
- AUD - American University of Dubai.
- AUH - 3 letter IATA airport code for Abu Dhabi International Airport.
- BATNA - Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement. The UAE version is Wasta for citizens and TWITA for expats.
- BOGOF: Buy One Get One Free.
- BSAK - British School Al Khubairat, a popular UK curriculum community school in Abu Dhabi.
- BSME - British Schools Middle East, organisation for UK curriculum schools in the Middle East.
- C4: Carrefour hypermarkets and supermarkets abbreviation. Not so common, or not official, or something.
- CBSE - Central Board of Secondary Education, Indian curriculum.
- CNN - Cable News Network - a US based media organisation with offices in DIC.
- DAC - Dubai Academic City - a collection of schools, colleges and universities.
- Dubai College - a well known UK curriciulum secondary school in Dubai.
- Dubai Customs - Dubai government authority for import and export controls. Established over 100 years ago. Yes, really, 100th anniversary was in 1999. Also or previously Dubai Ports and Customs Department.
- Dubai customs - behaviour, culture, expectations, traditions in Dubai.
- Deira City Center - a shopping mall owned by Majid Al Futtaim group.
- Dubai Country Club. Sports club open from 1971 to 2007 in Ras Al Khor. Plans to reopen in Dubailand were cancelled in 2010. Not at all related to the Country Club Group or Country Club Hotel in Dubai.
- DCAA: Dubai Civil Aviation Authority.
- DCCA: Dubai Creative Clusters Authority.
- DCTAD: Department of Culture and Tourism Abu Dhabi.
- DDIA: Dubai Development and Investment Authority.
- DDRF: Dubai Desert Rock Festival, rock music festival in Dubai held annually from 2004-2009, cancelled in 2010.
- DED: Department of Economic Development.
- DEWA: Dubai Electricity and Water Authority.
- Dubai Festival City.
- Dubai Fitness Challenge.
- DFM - Dubai Financial Market.
- Dh (Dhs) - Currency used in UAE, unofficial abbreviation, also DH or DHS but not so common. Official currency code is AED.
- DHA - Dubai Health Authority (not Agency).
- DHCC - Dubai Healthcare City (or Dubai Health Care City).
- DIAC - Dubai International Arts Centre.
- DIC - Dubai International Capital, a Dubai government holding company.
- DIC - Dubai Internet City, a Dubai Free Zone for internet related businesses.
- DIFC: Dubai International Financial Centre. Has nice sandwiches. Tom Cruise feat. Darude was here.
- DIFF: Dubai International Film Festival.
- DKP: Dubai Knowledge Park, new name for Dubai Knowledge Village.
- DKV: Dubai Knowledge Village, free zone for educational services in Al Sufouh. Renamed as DKP.
- DLD: Dubai Land Department.
- DLC: Dubai Logistics City, transportion support and warehouses in DWC.
- Dubai Maritime City
- Dubai Media City, a Dubai free zone for media related business.
- Dubai Media Corporation - television production.
- DMI: Dubai Media Incorporated (www.dmi.ae)
- DNRD: Department of Naturalisation and Residency, Dubai.
- DOE: Abu Dhabi Department of Energy, www.doe.gov.ae. Formed as merger of ADWEA and RSB in Mar 2018.
- DP: Dubai Ports, same as DPW.
- DPW: Dubai Ports World.
- Al Maktoum International Airport in Dubai, previously called Dubai World Central International Airport.
- Dubai World Central, a large development centered around the new airport development in Dubai.
- Dubai World Cup, a posh hat show held annually in Dubai. Winner gets to ride a horse or something.
- DXB: airport code for Dubai, but commonly used as an abbreviation for Dubai on mail etc.
- EBI - Emirates Bank International. Merged with NBD to become Emirates NBD.
- EC - Electoral College - members can nominate themselves for election to the FNC.
- ECSSR: Emirates Centre for Strategic Studies and Research
- EFAS - Emirates Fine Arts Society.
- EIA - Emirates Insurance Association.
- EIBFS - Emirates Institute for Banking and Financial Studies
- EIM - Emirates Internet and Multimedia (part of Etisalat - a large UAE telecom company).
- EK - IATA airline code for Emirates Airlines, a Dubai-based carrier.
- Abbreviation but not acronym for Emirates General Petroleum Corporation. Most non-Arabic speaking residents will recognise it as one of the gas station brands seen in Dubai and other emirates.
- Not an acronym or abbreviation. Is an Arabic word, in English meaning the Emirates or the UAE (country).
- ENBD: Emirates NBD bank. Formed from the merger of EBI and NBD.
- ENOC: Emirates National Oil Company, based in Dubai.
- EPPCO: Emirates Petroleum Products Company, part of ENOC Group.
- ESCA: Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority. Also referred to as the SCA.
- EYFS: Early Years Foundation Stage, a UK curriculum for young ones.
- EWEC: Emirates Water and Electricity Company. Subsidiary of ADPC. Previously ADWEC.
- FAB: First Abu Dhabi Bank. Merger of NBAD and FGB. Was FAB1? Maybe potential confusion with the Thunderbirds FAB 1 pink car prompted a name change.
- FCSA: Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority.
- FEWA: Federal Electricity and Water Authority, UAE. See also ADDC, DEWA, SEWA.
- FGB: First Gulf Bank. Merged with NBAD to become FAB.
- FNC: Federal National Council.
- FT: Financial Times, a UK based business newspaper, has a print facility in Dubai.
- FUJ: Fujairah (sometimes Fujeirah) - an emirate on the east coast of the UAE.
- FUNN: Sharjah Media Arts for Youth and Children.
- FZ-LLC: Free Zone Limited Liability Company.
- GCAA: UAE General Civil Aviation Authority.
- GCC: Gulf Cooperation Council, alliance of 6 Arab countries surrounding the Arabian or Persian Gulf (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE).
- GN: Gulf News - a Dubai based English newspaper.
- GSOH: Good Sense of Humor (Humour), often seen in personal classifieds but not in Dubai.
- Goods and Services Tax, called VAT in the UAE and some other countries.
- Gulf Standard Time, time zone for the UAE.
- HBMSU: Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University.
- HCT: Higher Colleges of Technology, tertiary level institute for UAE national students.
- HE: His Excellency
- HH: His Highness
- HRH: Her Royal Highness
- HSBC: Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.
- IATA - International Air Transport Association.
- IB - International Baccalaureate, a popular international school curriculum.
- IBDP or IB DP, IB Diploma Program, senior secondary school course leading to the IB Diploma.
- IBM - Ibn Battutal Mall, shopping mall in Dubai.
- IBMYP or IB MYP, IB Middle Years Program, education intended for 11-16 year old students, from IBO.
- IBO - International Baccalaureate Organisation, IB courses in schools worldwide.
- IBPYP or IB PYP, IB Primary Years Program, similar to IBMYP but, for 5-10 year old students.
- ISO: International Organization for Standardization (or International Organisation for Standardisation).
- Intravenous (drip), not a beverage delivery method used at the Irish Village, occasionally requested by regular patrons.
- Irish Village, a bar in the Al Garhood area popular with Irish and other nationalities.
- JAFZ - Jebel Ali Free Zone
- JAFZA - Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority
- JBH - Jumeirah Beach Hotel
- JBR - Jumeirah Beach Residences
- JLT - Jumeirah Lakes Towers (not Lake, there were 4 lakes, reduced to 3 lakes).
- JXB - (old, unused) IATA code for Jebel Ali International Airport, renamed, see DWC.
- KCA - Khalifa City A, Abu Dhabi.
- KHDA - Knowledge and Human Development Authority, education regulator for Dubai emirate.
- KSA - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a large country in the Middle East with sand and oil. It sells more oil than sand.
- KT - Khaleej Times, an English newspaper published in the UAE.
- KV - Knowledge Village, see DKV. Renamed as Dubai Knowledge Park (DKP).
- LLC: Limited Liability Company.
- MAF: Majid Al Futtaim group, large family show, well known as owner of several shopping malls in UAE.
- MBC: Middle East Broadcasting Center, media organisation based in DMC.
- MBRSG: Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Government.
- HH Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince from 02 or 03 Nov 2004.
- Mohammed Bin Zayed City in Abu Dhabi.
- MBZUAI: Mohamed Bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence.
- MENA: Middle East and North Africa.
- Ministry of Economy (UAE)
- Ministry of Education (UAE)
- Mall of the Emirates, shopping mall, hotel, indoor skifield in Al Barsha, Dubai (MOTE is not used).
- MOFAIC: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (replaced MOFA or MFA).
- MOHESR: Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- MOL: Ministry of Labour (Labor).
- MOTE: not used, see MOE.
- Musanada: Abu Dhabi General Services Company. Not Musanda.
- NBAD - National Bank of Abu Dhabi. Merged with FGB to become FAB.
- NBD - National Bank of Dubai. Merged with EBI to become Emirates NBD.
- NC - National Curriculum, usually a reference to the National Curriculum for England.
- NCM: National Centre of Meteorology.
- NEC: National Election Committee.
- NYUAD: New York University Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi.
- OECD: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- PBUH: Peace Be Upon Him, added after writing Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).
- QCC: Abu Dhabi Quality and Conformity Council.
- RAK: Ras Al Khaimah, a UAE emirate with mountains and one day a spaceport. Not a 45 min drive north of Dubai.
- RAKDCA: Department of Civil Aviation, Ras Al Khaimah.
- RAKEZ: Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone, parent of RAK FTZ and RAKIA.
- RAKFTZ: Ras Al Khaimah Free Trade Zone (also RAK-FTZ).
- RAKIA: Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority.
- RSB: Regulation and Supervisory Bureau (not Board), Abu Dhabi, www.rsb.gov.ae. Merged with ADWEA to become DOE in Mar 2018.
- RTA: Roads and Transport Authority, for Dubai. The one in Sharjah is the SRTA.
- SAT (SATs)
- Scholastic Aptitude Test(s), tests used for admission to tertiary level education in USA.
- Standard Attainment Test(s), UK National Curriculum tests (acronym not as common as US SATs).
- SBA: Sharjah Book Authority.
- SCA: Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority - see ESCA.
- Seha: Abu Dhabi Health Services Company. Usually written SEHA. Not an abbreviation or acronym. Seha is the sound of the Arabic word for "health".
- SEHA: System of Emirates Health Authorities. No, not really, see Seha.
- SEWA: Sharjah Electricity and Water Authority.
- SFZA: Sharjah Free Zone Authority, see also SOTI.
- SHJ: 3 letter airport code for Sharjah Airport, also commonly used as an abbreviation for Sharjah city or emirate.
- SIFF: Sharjah International Film Festival.
- Sheikh Khalifa Medical Center. A hospital in Abu Dhabi which became part of Sheikh Khalifa Medical City.
- Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, Abu Dhabi. Formed in 2005 as a merger of SKM-Center and other hospitals.
- Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, Ajman - see SKMCA.
- SKMCA: Sheikh Khalifa Medical City Ajman (not Center or Centre)
- SOL: When SOP goes completely wrong (not unique to Dubai or UAE).
- SOP: Standard Operating Procedure (not unique to Dubai or UAE).
- SOTI: Sharjah Oasis Technology and Innovation.
- SPC: Sharjah Publishing City. Also SPC-FZ or SPCFZ for SPC Free Zone.
- SRTA: Sharjah Roads and Transport Authority.
- SWSF: Sharjah Women's Sports Foundation.
- SZR: Sheikh Zayed Road, main highway / racetrack between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Don't ride your bicycle.
- TAQA: Abu Dhabi National Energy Company, subsidiary of ADPC.
- Dubai Technology, Electronic Commerce and Media Free Zone Authority, free zone regulator.
- Area in Al Barsha renamed as Barsha Heights.
- TES: Times Educational Supplement, a UK education newspaper, mostly read by teachers looking for a job.
- TIL: Today I Learned (also but less common: Today I Learnt, Things I Learned, Thought I Learned).
- TRA: Telcommmunications Regulatory Authority, infamous for blocking Skype, YouTube, MySpace, Vonage, ...
- TRANSCO: Abu Dhabi Transmission and Despatch Company. Subsidiary of ADWEA ... and/or ADPC?
- TWITA: That Way Is The Airport. Generic response to whining UAE expats (with passports), local version of BATNA.
- UAE: United Arab Emirates, a middle eastern country located near Dubai.
- UAQ: Umm Al Quwain, the emirate between Ajman and Ras Al Khaimah. 30-45 min drive north of Dubai.
- UCC: Used Car Complex in Al Aweer, established by Dubai Municipality, sort of a safari park for wild car dealers.
- UNB: Union National Bank. Merged with ADCB in 2019.
- UTC: Coordinated Universal Time. Not CUT or TUC so there is one less thing for the English and French to fight about. Equivalent to but not the same as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
- VAT: Value Added Tax. Introduced in the UAE in 2018, at 5% rate on most goods and services.
- Vitamin W: colloquial for Wasta (Arabic speaking countries). International slang for Weed (marijuana) or Whiskey (Whisky).
- WAM - Wakalat Anba'a al Emarat (Emirates News Agency), offical UAE news organisation.
- Wasta - not an abbreviation or acronym but referenced on this page from BATNA. See Vitamin W.
- YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary, means outcomes could differ from predictions or expectations. Not unique to UAE but very applicable.
- ZU - Zayed University, university for UAE nationals (female).
- ZSC - Zayed Sports City, sports complex in Abu Dhabi.
- www.iso.org - International Organization for Standardization.
- www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:AE - UAE subdivisions and ISO 3166 codes.
- Parent category: UAE
- Child pages:
- Related pages:
Last update Sunday 20-Oct-2019.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.