Dubai Metro websites
Jump to list of Dubai Metro websites
Dubai Metro information
The Dubai Metro is an underground and above-ground mass transit public transportation system in Dubai, UAE launched by the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) on 09 September 2009 with the Dubai Metro Red Line the first of several planned subway and above-ground lines to start operating in Dubai. The Dubai Metro Green Line is expected to start operations before the end of 2010.
Dubai Metro domains and URLs
The domains www.dubaimetro.ae and www.dubaimetro.info both forward to the Dubai RTA website at www.rta.ae (as of October 2009), which is not the most useful start point for Dubai Metro information on the web. The RTA has other Dubai Metro websites at metrogis.rta.ae for a Dubai Metro map and journey planning, and www.nol.ae for information about the Nol tickets, fares and other Dubai Metro information, which is a good place to start for Dubai Metro information.
Several other websites have Dubai Metro information with the most obvious one, www.dubaimetro.com, appearing to be a copy of the Wikipedia entry for the Dubai Metro. Other websites look like they mostly copy and paste news reports and press releases, or a hodge-podge of tables and lists from places like Wikipedia, media articles, blog posts, and even our own Dubai FAQs website. Disappointingly, the authors and webmasters in many cases misrepresent the content as their own work, and fail to credit the original sources even if permission to copy was given (probably unlikely).
Related websites (new window)
- www.nol.ae - official RTA Dubai Metro and Nol card information - looks like the best source of Dubai Metro information (apart from Dubai FAQs ;)). Especially for things like route maps, timetables, ticket info.
- www.rta.ae/dubai_metro/english/home.html - another place to start on the RTA website for Dubai Metro information.
- metrogis.rta.ae - RTA Dubai Metro map and journey planner
- virtualtransport.rta.ae - another RTA website about the Dubai Metro with videos, a virtual tour game (which failed to load when we tried) and other goodies.
- www.gulfnews.com/indepth/dubaimetro/ - not exactly a dedicated Dubai Metro website but good collection of news articles, press releases, etc from the Gulf News, a Dubai based newspaper. They include a handy list of individual reports for each Metro station with map and nearby facilities and places of interest. Now at www.gulfnews.com/in-focus/dubai-metro (15 October 2009)
- www.timeoutdubai.com/aroundtown/dubai-metro/ - not a dedicated metro website either but handy articles about areas around each metro station with useful Time Out Dubai tips about places to eat, drink, and be merry.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Metro - the Wikipedia Dubai Metro information (so watch out for the usual Wikipedia hiccups). Good for background information.
- www.dubaimetro.ae - forwards to the main RTA website (www.rta.ae)
- www.dubaimetro.info - forwards to the RTA website
- www.metronamingrights.com - an RTA website, sort of obsolete now given that the Dubai Metro Naming rights have been assigned, but still has some useful information about the train network.
- www.dubaimetro.com - a poor unofficial DubaiMetro info site, mostly a repeat of the Wikipedia Dubai Metro material, and poor math skills. On 08 September 2009 with 1 day still to go, they said "Dubai Metro Launch 00 days left"
- www.dubaimetro.eu - unofficial Dubai Metro information website. Most notable feature seems to be that they've managed to rank at number 1 on Google UAE (in September 2009 at least). Most or all of it seems to be copy-paste from the RTA, newspapers, and other websites.
- www.dubai-metro.me - another unofficial Dubai Metro info site, with material mostly just copied from other websites, nothing obviously original.
- www.mydubaimetro.com - another unofficial information site for the DubaiMetro (from FlipMedia in Dubai), launched on 09-09-09. Nothing obviously original or different except that it seems to take forever to load.
- Other dubaimetro or similar domains seen so far are either unofficial, for sale, not available, or spam websites/domains.