Dubai Metro Purple Line
Dubai Metro Purple Line
The Dubai Metro Purple Line is the fourth of the Dubai Metro Lines (first is the Red Line, second is the Green Line, third is the Blue Line). Initial plans were that it would be an express light rail system running between the two international airports in Dubai - Dubai International Airport (DXB) in Garhoud, and Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC) in Jebel Ali (under construction) along Al Khail Rd. Information based on 23 May 2009 RTA press release. However, the Purple Line plan came under review in light of the economic and financial crisis in 2008-2009.
A possible extension would continue past DWC, through TechnoPark (under consideration or development) and on to the trunk of the Palm Jebel Ali.
Purple Line information and background
- Distance of the Purple Line will be 49 km.
- Trip time between DXB and JXB expected to be about 40 minutes, including stop time in stations.
- Proposed route of the Purple Line is along Al Khail Road. The train will serve areas along Al Khail Road and in Al Jaddaf (Al Jadaf).
- Total number of Purple Line stations is 8, including 3 with airport check-in facilities (both DXB and DWC). Passengers can obtain boarding passes (and possibly send their luggage off - not confirmed yet).
- Average speed of Purple Line trains will be 100 km per hour, and maximum speed 135-160 km per hour.
- Each train expected to have 9 carriages including extra luggage space and carriages (possibly a secured area for checked in luggage).
- Carriage dimensions are approximately width 3.2 meters and height 3.8 meters, seating capacity about 50. As with other Dubai Metro lines, there will be separate carriages for women and children, and trains will be driverless.
- Estimated cost (in 2008) of the Purple Line is AED 10 billion (US$2.72 bn).
- Period of construction from about 2010 to 2014? Project suspended?
- Possible connections with the Red Line, the Green Line, and the Al Sufouh Tram.
Dubai Metro Purple Line stations
|Station name||Theme||Open date||Area||Level||Shops||Comments|
Dubai Metro Purple Line construction schedule and timeline
- 11 April 2011 - a Gulf News report said When asked if this would be the line connecting the two Dubai airports - Dubai International and Al Maktoum International, he said: "We have not yet decided which line will be connecting the two airports. However, there will be no one line connecting the two. It will take time," quoting Mattar Al Tayer, head of the RTA.
- May 2009 (or earlier) - Purple Line project put on hold pending a review of the Dubai Metro Network due in 2010.
- Construction to start in March 2009, completion in 45 months, ready for service in December 2010 (no, that doesn't compute for us either). A completion date of December 2012 sounds more like it, but is probably still a bit optimistic.
- February 2009 - design stage of the Purple Line complete?
- Tender selection from May 2008 to March 2009
- 23 May 2007 - RTA announces agreement signed with Parsons Brinckerhoff International for Purple Line design and consultancy services. Design to commence in May 2007 and be completed by May 2008.
Dubai Metro Purple Line operating information
Dubai Metro Purple Line Park n Ride facilities
Last update Friday 14-Mar-2014
- Dubai Metro Nol tickets - details of Nol cards, tickets and fares
- Dubai Metro forum - forum topic, ask questions and/or add your comments about the new metro
|Dubai Metro project||Dubai Metro information | Nol Cards | Dubai Metro feeder buses | Dubai Metro website|
|Dubai Metro lines||Dubai Metro Red Line | Dubai Metro Green Line | Dubai Metro Blue Line | Dubai Metro Purple Line|
- [Disabled] Submit URL.