Gulf News newspaper Dubai
The Gulf News is the most popular English daily newspaper in the UAE according to them, and they never seem to get tired of telling that to their readers with regular full page ads saying so. Ok, so now that we've got their irritating self-promotion off our chests, other relevant and useful information is:
- Stand out factor amongst the English dailies published in the UAE is the excellent cartoon selection in the Gulf News (really, it is!), and larger selection of jobs and other classified ads.
- Published 7 days per week in broadsheet format except for the Tabloid section and classified ads which are tabloid format. Update: from 01 June 2012 published in Berliner format (size about halfway between tabloid and broadsheet format), and new printing press and production facility started in Dubai Investment Park (DIP).
- Costs 2 dhs per day except Fridays when it's 3 dhs (but you get a free magazine with it).
- 4 main sections - General news, Business news, Sports news, and Tabloid section.
- Classified ad sections include General, Freehold (property - sometimes 2x), Property, Jobs and Careers (Appointments). Fridays have only General and one Property section. The Freehold section is for freehold property for sale or rent to expats, the Property section is for properties outside expat freehold sections. We think. In practice, nobody really cares about the difference.
Gulf News advertising
Gulf News appointments
Gulf News includes an Appointments section Sunday-Thursday with several pages of job listings from Dubai recruitment and employment agencies.
Gulf News Ask The Law
A weekly column where readers can send in legal questions that are answered by a legal professional. Published on Fridays. Most of the time questions relate to jobs and/or visas.
Gulf News Business
Gulf News Business section usually has a 2-4 pages of local and regional press releases, and inhouse produced articles and summaries. The remaining pages contain a collection of reports from the business newswires such as Reuters and Bloombery, and some finance and business articles from the UK Financial Times, The Economist, and other international press. Indepth sections follow the following schedule (last checked 04 September 2009):
Gulf News cartoons
- Alex - how to be a financial suit in London. Probably applies to the Dubai International Financial Center DIFC also. Even the pinstripe to baseball cap ratio appears to be similar.
- Andy Capp - the man all men aspire to but would never admit to in public, or in private probably.
- Calvin and Hobbes - started July 2009? Yay :) ...
- Dilbert - advice for the workplace. A cartoon but unnervingly accurate.
- Garfield - listen to the cat if you want to stay happy.
- Non Sequitur - halted July 2009? Sob :( ...
- Wizard of Id - you'll have to figure this one out yourself.
Gulf News circulation
Gulf News classifieds (information last checked September 2009)
- Free for Household Items for Sale or Wanted, Motor Vehicles, Situations Vacant, Personal Announcements and Messages. Plain text ads only, all other ad types and classifications cost money.
- Gulf News classified ad rates September 2009: AED 9 per line for lineage ads, or AED 43-54 per cm for column display.
- Office hours 0700-1900 (7am-7pm) Sunday to Thursday for Gulf News offices in Abu Dhabi, Deira Dubai, Dubai main, Karama, Sharjah.
- Gulf News Al Ain office open 0800-1100 (8am-11am) only, Sunday to Thursday
- Gulf News Bur Dubai office open 0700-2000 (7am-8pm) Sunday Thursday and 1600-2000 (4pm-8pm) on Fridays (the only Gulf News office open on Friday).
- Tel 800-4125, fax 800-4645 toll-free in the UAE
Gulf News contact details
- Al Nisr Publishing office tel +971-4-3447100
- Classifieds: tel 800-4125, fax 800-4645, email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
- firstname.lastname@example.org - contact Explore travel section team
- email@example.com - contact Unwind general amusement section
- firstname.lastname@example.org - contact Gulf news editor
- email@example.com - send a letter to the editor (also an online submission form option on the Gulf News website)
- firstname.lastname@example.org - ask the IT & computer Helpdesk a question (column published on Saturdays).
- email@example.com - to advertise in the job appointments section of the Gulf News (daily except Fridays).
Gulf News copyright
- Like many other publications in the UAE, copyright law is not always strictly followed by the Gulf News.
- See also Gulf News copyright.
Gulf News Fun Drive
The Gulf News sponsors and organises an annual fun drive in the desert with overnight or one day options. Participants are expected to bring their own 4wd vehicles and shovels. Enthusiastic desert bashers can apply to become a Gulf News Fun Drive Marshall which in theory means you help organise the drive, and direct the traffic mayhem out in the sands, but in practice can mean you end up spending a lot of time behaving like a dog digging for a bone as an endless stream of vehicles gets bogged down in front of you. After all the chaos and adventure on the first day, Gulf News puts on a barbeque in the desert for those who survived the ordeal.
Gulf News history
Gulf News letters to the editor
Reading the Gulf News letters page is the highlight of the day for many expats, or so you'd think when overhearing or participating in coffee shop and bar conversations, although 7 Days letters have given them a run for their money in recent years. It's relatively easy to get a letter published. Just write something inane about cricket or complain about Dubai traffic, and include an opening platitude for the editorial team.
Gulf News magazines
- E+ entertainment magazine - comes with the Gulf News on Wednesdays, movie reviews and listings, TV guide, movie industry gossip.
- Express4me - not really magazine, a weekly newspaper, published and distributed separately from the Gulf News.
- Financial Review - quarterly, published and distributed separately from the Gulf News
- For Him Magazine - men's magazine, distributed separately from the Gulf News
- Friday Magazine - comes with the Gulf News on Fridays
Gulf News puzzles and crosswords
Daily puzzles and crosswords in the Gulf News (in the Tabloid section except for Fridays when they're in the Unwind section) include
- Cryptic crossword
- Quick crossword
Gulf News online search
Searching the Gulf News online using their own search engine is a bit clumsy, although eventually you can find what you're looking for. Quicker and easier is usually the Google (or Yahoo or Bing or whatever search engine you usually use). Just type the keywords you want, then add a space and type "site:gulfnews.com" which will pick up anything from either www.gulfnews.com or archive.gulfnews.com. That's if the search engine has indexed the article. Articles older than a few years tend to fall out of search engines unless they were popular, that's when you'll need to use the GN search engine. Good luck.
Update 12 October 2009: After Gulf News website revamp the above comments still apply (except click on the cached results until search robots catch up with the new GN pages). Looks like GN forgot to fix their search engine.
Gulf News radio 1 and 2
Gulf News subscription
Gulf News website
- Major revamp of Gulf News website released on 11 October 2009.
- Root domain changed from www.gulfnews.com to gulfnews.com.
- Most old links to www.gulfnews.com and archive.gulfnews.com will return an error page now.
- Search engine still clumsy, seems to be still operating with the old algorithm problems that plagued the previous GN search engine. Try using "site:gulfnews.com" with your search terms in search engines llike Bing, Google, Yahoo and then visit the cached versions of the pages. Clicking on the actual result link will fail until the search bots have updated their indexes with the new locations.
Gulf News weekend edition
Weekend Gulf News is published on Saturdays with some additional sections but Tabloid and some classified ad sections omitted. List of Gulf News weekend sections is:
- Explorer - UAE and international travel
- Funday - children's puzzle and cartoon section (the daily puzzles and cartoons are in the Unwind section on Saturdays).
- Business with indepth sections on Money and Technology
- Unwind - general nonsense for rest and relaxation - a page on each of Food, Health, Home, Horizons, People, Woman. Also Movie and TV listings. And the cartoons, crosswords, and puzzles that are in the Tabloid section the rest of the week.
Gulf News Xpress (not Express)
Gulf News Xpress is a weekly newspaper, tabloid style, with some surprisingly interesting and well-researched (well, they appear to be anyway) reports. Available free in random locations (some coffee shops, office and apartment lobbies, etc).
GNAds4u.com - Gulf News online classified ads
Other Gulf News and similar publications not related to the Gulf News in Dubai
- Gulf News Corpus Christi, Texas, USA. Quarterly newsletter from the Gulf of Mexico Foundation www.gulfmex.org
- Gulf News Port aux Basques www.gulfnews.ca, Newfoundland, Canada. A weekly community paper.
- Gulf News Waiheke Island www.waihekegulfnews.co.nz, Auckland, New Zealand. Waiheke Island is in the Hauraki Gulf. A weekly community paper.
- Gulf Daily News www.gulf-daily-news.com, Bahrain. English daily newspaper.
- Gulf Times www.gulf-times.com, Doha, Qatar. English daily newspaper.
- Gulf Today www.godubai.com/gulftoday/, Sharjah, UAE. English daily newspaper
- Khaleej Times www.khaleejtimes.com - another UAE English daily newspaper based in Dubai (Khaleej is Arabic for Gulf)
Annoying spam, junk, or news aggregators websites with Gulf News in the name
- www.gnads.com - a clever play on the Gulf News classified ads website www.gnads4u.com, or negligence on the part of Gulf News. Either way, it's just spam, not Gulf News classified ads.
- www.gulfdaily.com - "Persian Gulf News" (spam)
- www.jorbit.com/gulf-news/ - "Gulf News from New Gulf daily" (aggregator)
- www.inform.com/Persian+Gulf - "Persian Gulf News" (aggregator)
Last update Tuesday 24-Jun-2014