The National newspaper Dubai
The The National is an English daily broadsheet newspaper (except for the sports section which is in tabloid format) published in Abu Dhabi by the Abu Dhabi Media Company (ADMC), and distributed throughout the UAE. First publication date was 17
April 2008, daily except for Saturdays until 15 November 2008, after which The National On Saturday begain publication.
- 4 main sections - General news, Business news, Arts & Life section, Sports news.
- Classified ads are available but minimal compared to the longer established Gulf News in Dubai.
The National advertising
The National Business
The National Business section has local, regional and international business news. Instead of publishing press releases and international newswire reports as most other dailies do, The National reporters make an effort at rewriting articles in more depth (or with more padding in the opinion of some).
The National cartoons
No cartoons in The National, go for the Gulf News newspaper for your daily fix.
The National circulation
The National classifieds
The National contact details
- Postal address: PO Box 111434, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Newsdesk: tel +971-2-4145328
- Subscriptions: tel +971-2-4145000 or toll free 800-2220
The National copyright
- Publications in the UAE often pay lip-service to copyright laws (there are some in the UAE) if anecdotal stories are to be believed.
- The National, despite its own grim warnings about using their content, seems to follow that trend of copying material without permission or giving credit. But perhaps not as frequently as other publications.
- See also Copyright The National.
The National history
The National letters to the editor
The National magazines
- M - free with The National On Saturday. Fashion, travel, other general nonsense. The Ask Ali page about UAE culture at the back is usually worth a read.
The National puzzles and crosswords
The National online search
The National salary leak
The salaries of staff at The National were leaked onto the internet at a website called Wikileaks in March 2009, resulting in lots of raised eyebrows and a surge of interest in careers in journalism and newspaper editing. Speculation at the time was that a disgruntled employee had leaked them in retaliation for alleged reneging by The National to do with contracts (no housing allowance) and bonuses. There may well have been a queue of media staff from other publications waiting for the disgruntled employees at The National to quit their jobs in a huff.
The National subscription
- Tel +971-2-414 5000 or toll free 8002220 from 0800-2000 (8am-8pm) Sunday to Thursday, and 0800-1600 (8am-4pm) Friday and Saturday.
- Subscription to The National costs AED 300 per year (might be special offer price only).
The National weekend edition
The National On Saturday is the weekend edition, published on Saturdays with some additional sections. List of The National weekend sections is:
- House and Home - includes an "Ask the Expert" column, and a handy one page guide to different suburbs in Abu Dhabi and Dubai (and maybe elsewhere in the UAE).
- Motoring - car reviews and motoring news, includes a sort of Readers' Cars section
- Personal Finance - how to invest your money and hopefully not lose as much as Lehman Brothers did.
- Sport - tabloid format
- Travel - local, regional, and international
Other publications or entities with similar names bu not related to the The National in Dubai
- The Nation newspaper, Barbados, website www.nationnews.com
- The Nation newspaper, Ireland, published in the 19th century from 1840 to 1900, no website but archives at www.irishnewsarchive.com (maybe).
- The Nation newspaper, Pakistan, website www.nation.com.pk
- The National is also the name of a band from Cincinnati, Ohia, USA. Website www.americanmary.com
- The National Enquirer (or The Enquirer) is a US based tabloid newspaper, known for sensationalist content and stories about alien abductions. Website www.nationalenquirer.com.
- The National Post, Canada, website www.nationalpost.com
- The National newspaper, Papua New Guinea (PNG), website www.thenational.com.pg
Last update Monday 16-Aug-2010