Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Jumeirah, Jumeira, Dubai
Jumeirah usually refers to either the Jumeirah district or suburb of Dubai, or the Jumeirah Group, a company which owns hotels and other hospitality related activities. Jumeirah district includes part of the Dubai coast and has several public beaches. Landmarks and sights include Jumeirah Mosque, Union House, Burj Al Arab Hotel, Jumeirah Janes, Safa Park, Mercato shopping mall, Beach Road, Jumeirah Beach Park, Dubai Canal, Jumeirah Corniche.
- Jumeirah communities < Jumeirah district < Bur Dubai < Dubai city < Dubai emirate < UAE country
Jumeira Rd, Beach Rd, and Jumeirah Beach Rd all refer to the same road (it's rarely called Jumeirah Street by residents). Officially the name is Jumeira Road (at least that's what most of the road signs say).
Jumeirah Beach Residences (JBR) - not part of Jumeirah district, is in Dubai Marina area, further towards Abu Dhabi from Jumeirah. But also has nice beaches.
Jumeirah company - see separate page. Note that the company is now called just Jumeirah, no longer Jumeirah Group. Sometimes referred to as Jumeirah International.
Jumeirah district Dubai
There are two Jumeirah areas in Dubai.
- Jumeirah District, the larger area, which includes the suburbs of Jumeirah, Umm Suqeim, Al Wasl, Al Safa 1 and 2, Al Manara (Al Manarah), Umm Al Sheif (Um Sheif).
- [Check] Al Badaa (Al Bada'a) and Satwa also included? Trade Center 1? If yes ...
- Greater Jumeirah is the area of Dubai with boundary roads Sheikh Zayed Road (Abu Dhabi highway) SE boundary, Umm Suqeim Road SW boundary, 2nd December Road (Second) (previously Al Diyafah St) to the NE boundary, and the coastline between Madinat Jumeirah and Union House (where the large flag pole is) is the NW boundary.
|Communities in Jumeirah||Notes||Notes|
|Al Badaa (Al Bada'a)|
|Al Safa 1|
|Al Safa 2|
|Thanks for visiting||Dubai||Tell your friends|
|Satwa (Al Satwa)|
|Trade Center 1|
|Umm Suqeim 1|
|Umm Suqeim 2|
|Umm Suqeim 3|
Top 10 landmarks and sights in Jumeirah
Jumeirah Beach tourist attractions include
- Beaches - most of the coast is publicly accessible and open to the public, with great beaches. Jumeirah Beach Park (when open) is open to the public but for a small entry fee. Open Beach is at the flagpole end of Beach Rd (closed from 2014-2016), Umm Suqeim Beach (or Sunset Beach) is at the Burj Al Arab end, very busy in weekends. In between it's easy to find a less hectic place to swim and sunbath. Kite Beach (Wollongong Beach) is about halfway between the two and quite busy, has good facilities (sports, canteens and cafes), is where kitesurfers hang out.
- Umm Suqeim Beach (also called Sunset Beach) - last public beach before the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, tour buses will usually stop here so you can take a beach photo with the Burj Al Arab behind you. Or come very early in the morning yourself when there are no crowds and the light is better (0500-0600 in summer, 0700-0800 in winter). Sun shines on you and Burj in the mornings. Evenings are good for sun setting on the ocean horizon photos but not for Burj Al Arab photos with you in them. Beach is packed on Fridays, very busy on Saturdays, plenty of space rest of the week except public holidays.
- Jumeirah Corniche - new (in 2014) walking and jogging track along most of the beach front (private property and fishing harbours create some obstacles). No, cycling is not allowed even though they said it was originally.
- [Update] Madinat Jumeirah (see below).
- [Update cycle hire locations] Cycling - a cycle track along the Beach Road although is a bit of an obstacle course with cars, bus stop shelters, lamp posts, parked in the middle of it. Especially bad at either end. Cycle hire (24 hrs, need credit card) is available at a couple of places along the path. A pleasant enough thing to do in the winter months especially because it's almost flat everywhere. Don't cycle on the Beach Rd. Cycling on the inner community roads should be ok but watch out for car doors opening and cars reversing out of parking. Car drivers are generally less tolerant towards cyclists than in Holland or Denmark. Don't cycle daytime in summer, it's too hot.
- Fishing harbours and villages - three with new (in 2014) shops, restaurants, and cafes in a souk style area. Upgrades in Umm Suqeim 2, and Umm Suqeim 3. Another small harbour in Jumeira 2.
- Jumeirah Mosque - popular and has guided tours, but we think the Al Farooq Mosque in Umm Suqeim looks more impressive. Yes, non-Muslims can visit both mosques, men and women, adult and children, but dress appropriately. Women will probably be provided with an abaya anyway.
- Burj Al Arab Hotel - that famous 7 star hotel that's not really a 7 star hotel (official rating is 5 stars). No public entry you have a room or restaurant reservation.
- Safa Park - large public park, cheap to enter, jogging track around the outside, large lake, BBQ areas. Reduced in size in 2014 to make way for the Dubai Canal or Creek Extension project.
- Wild Wadi Water Park - in Umm Suqeim 3 along Beach Rd, between Burj Al Arab Hotel and Jumeirah Beach Hotel.
- Mercato Shopping Mall - Italian themed mall with a Venetian bridge to stand on and take photos. Cinema, small food court, Spinneys supermarket.
- Jumeirah Beach Road - has a cycle path (with obstacles), a few small shopping centers in Jumeirah 1, plenty of restaurants, cafes, fast food places. Every night after midnight it becomes the Dubai dragstrip and race track. No entry fee for spectators or participants.
- Four Seasons Hotel and Resort - new (in 2015) hotel on Jumeirah Beach Rd, Jumeirah 2.
- Jumeirah Janes - elusive ladies in the suburbs. Everyone wants one. Well, not really, but it sounds catchy.
- [Closed 2014-2016] Jumeirah Beach Park
- [Under construction 2014-2016] Dubai Canal
- [Under renovation 2014-????] Union House and flag pole - at the end of 2nd December St. The giant flagpole you can see from most of Dubai.
Other Jumeirah or Jumeira areas in Dubai
There are several areas and developments in Dubai which include Jumeirah in the name but are not within the Jumeirah district, nor are they part of Jumeirah Group. Many, but not all, of them are Nakheel Properties projects.
- Jumeirah Beach Residence (JBR) - apartment blocks and towers on ocean side of Dubai Marina area. See Dubai Marina heading.
- Jumeirah Corniche? Reference to new (in 2014) walking and jogging track along most of the Jumeirah beachfront.
- Jumeirah Falcon? Not a residential community, is the name of a cafe in Bur Dubai?
- Jumeirah Golf Estates - between Dubai Sports City and Dubai Investment Park.
- Jumeirah Heights - between Jumeirah Lakes Towers (JLT) and Jumeirah Islands areas. Or part of JLT district?
- Jumeirah Hills - SW end of Umm Suqeim 3 community, under construction in 2015.
- Jumeirah Islands - between Jumeirah Park and Emirates Living.
- Jumeirah Lakes Towers (JLT) - across Sheikh Zayed Rd from Dubai Marina
- Jumeirah Palm Island - see Palm Jumeirah
- Jumeirah Park - Jebel Ali side of Jumeirah Islands
- Jumeirah Village - around the end of Al Khail Rd between Dubai Sports City and Emirates Living, two districts:
- Jumeirah Village Circle.
- Jumeirah Village Triangle.
- Palm Jumeirah - the first of the three man-made Palm Islands to be developed. In Al Sufouh area of Dubai.
- Pearl Jumeirah?
- Parent category - Dubai, districts in Dubai.
- Child pages - Jumeirah 1, 2, 3.
- Related pages - Umm Suqeim.
Other headings and notes
[Check, exact translation?] Jumeirah in Arabic means beauty or beautiful in English?
- Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers - see JLT.
- Chicago Beach
- Chicago Beach Hotel
- Dubai Ladies Club.
- [Closed] Hilton Beach Resort or Beach Club?
- Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Residences? In JBR, not Jumeirah?
- Hilton Jumeirah? Assume reference to JBR resort, not Jumeirah Hilton Beach Club.
- [Closed] Hotel on Beach Road, where 4 Seasons is now? Name was?
- Jumeirah 1, 2, 3 - see individual community pages.
- Jumeirah zip code - doesn't exist, no zip or postal codes in Dubai or anywhere in the UAE (as of 2015 - this might change in the future ... one day). All mail is delivered initially to PO Box addresses. If a zip or post code is required when completing a form, try either DXB (airport code for Dubai Airport), or 00000. Business directories which list addresses in the UAE with a post code or zip code have usually included the PO Box number as the code, or possibly a Dubai Municipality plot number for a physical location.
- Jumeirah other spellings: Jumeira is common. Not so common is Jumairah, Jumayrah, Jumierah, Jumiera.
- Jumeira Baccalaureate School
- Jumeirah Beach
- Jumeira beach and park - see Jumeirah Beach Park.
- Jumeirah Beach Hotel - Jumeirah Group hotel in Umm Suqeim 3.
- Jumeirah Emirates Towers - offices, hotel, residential twin towers on Sheikh Zayed Rd across from Satwa area.
- Jumeirah Essex House - hotel in New York overlooking Central Park. Bought by Dubai Investment Group (Jumeirah Group parent company) from Strategic Hotels and Resorts in 2006, operated by Jumeirah Group from 2006 to 2012, then sold back to Strategic Hotels and Resorts in Oct 2012, after which, name changed to JW Marriott Essex House New York (or something).
- Jumeirah Golf Estates - Nakheel property development, not in Jumeirah district.
- Jumeira Rotana - hotel in Jumeirah 1, behind 2nd December St.
- Jumeira University - university in Al Quoz, not in Jumeirah.
- Jumeirah Vittaveli - hotel in the Maldives.
- Jumeirah Zabeel Saray - hotel on Jumeirah Palm Island.
- Madinat Jumeirah (Jumeirah City or City of Jumeirah) - entertainment and resort complex at beach end of Umm Suqeim Rd. Divides Umm Suqeim and Al Sufouh. Souk style shopping mall (small), theater, restaurants, bars, concert hall (Madinat Arena).
- Palm Jumeirah - man-made offshore island, off the Al Sufouh coast opposite Dubai Internet City, not Jumeirah coast.
- Ramada Jumeirah - hotel on Al Mina Road, in Al Hudaiba community (other side of 2nd December St from Jumeirah 1)?
- Schools and nurseries in Jumeirah.
- Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort? In JBR, Dubai Marina, not Jumeirah?
- Shopping Centers in Jumeirah, supermarkets in Jumeirah.
- Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach? In JBR, Dubai Marina, not Jumeirah?
- Public transport, buses, metro, in, to and from Jumeirah. Bus routes on Beach Rd, Al Wasl Rd.
- Jumeirah Jane is a colloquial term (or possibly slightly perjorative) used to describe expat housewives living in Jumeirah villas with husbands on generous salaries and benefits packages. Jumeirah Janes are perceived to do little other than visit shopping malls, drink coffee at Gerard's cafe (in Jumeirah of course), and have appointments at beauty salons for regular maintenance.
- That perception is fading somewhat. Dubai has many more cafes to drink coffee at now.
- Some of the other requirements to be designated as a Jumeirah Jane include a large new 4x4 vehicle to drive to the shopping mall in, one or more maids, nannies, cooks, gardeners, drivers, and other slaves ... servants.
- Which is a roundabout way of saying the meaning of Jumeirah Jane is Trophy Wife.
- The term seems to be only used to describe foreign expatriates, or possibly only British expats, living in Jumeirah (including Umm Suqeim and other nearby suburbs), not Emirati families.
- Unemployed British females married to non-British males are not normally exempted from the description.
Grid pattern of Jumeirah communities
Vertical lines represented by main roads dividing community areas. From left to right:
- Umm Suqeim Road
- Al Thanya Rd (Al Thanaya, Al Thanayah, Al Thanyah Road or Street)
- Al Manara Rd
- Umm Al Sheif Rd
- Al Hadiqa St (Meydan Rd) between Al Safa 1 and Al Wasl. Al Athar Rd (Al Attar Rd) between Jumeirahs 2 and 3.
- Al Urouba St between Jumeirahs 1 and 2. Stops at Al Wasl Rd (Al Wasel Rd).
- Al Safa St or Rd divides Al Wasl from Al Badaa and Satwa.
- 2nd December Street (Al Diyafah Road).
|Umm Suqeim 3||Umm Suqeim 2||Umm Suqeim 1||Jumeirah 3||Jumeirah 2||Jumeirah 1||Jumeirah 1|
|Umm Suqeim 3||Umm Suqeim 2||Umm Suqeim 1||Jumeirah 3||Jumeirah 2||Jumeirah 1||Jumeirah 1|
|Al Wasl Rd|
|Umm Al Sheif||Al Manara||Al Safa 2||Al Safa 1||Al Wasl||Al Wasl, Al Badaa||Al Badaa|
|Umm Al Sheif||Al Manara||Al Safa 2||Al Safa 1||Al Wasl||Al Wasl, Satwa||Satwa|
|308 Rd, Al Albaany St|
|Umm Al Sheif||Al Manara||Al Safa 2||Al Safa 1||Al Wasl||Al Wasl, Trade Center 1||Trade Center 1|
|Sheikh Zayed Rd|
Last update Saturday 14-Mar-2015. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- Jumeirah 1 community
- Jumeirah 2 community
- Jumeirah 3 community
- List of communities in Dubai
- List of districts in Dubai
- List of nurseries in Jumeirah
- Pages under development
- [Disabled] Submit URL.