| Where is Dubai? | Public holidays | Dress code |
Art Galleries and Exhibitions in Dubai
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Art Galleries in Dubai
The art scene in Dubai and the UAE has grown significantly since the 1990s (when there wasn't much around) with many exhibitions and works displayed from artists based in Dubai and elsewhere in the Middle East, in addition to works displayed from international artists. Popular art fairs take place in Dubai and Abu Dhabi annually. Sharjah has an art biennale, and a historical district with museums and an art history gallery, and several other museums dotted around the city. Dubai has the fascinating Bastakiya historical area, and a larger art and cultural area planned - The Dubai Opera district in Downtown Dubai. Abu Dhabi has a cultural area on Saadiyat Island with a branch of the Paris Louvre under development, and the interesting Manarat Al Saadiyat art gallery and museum (sort of).
A few shops in Dubai call themselves a gallery when they really are only a furniture or picture frame shop. Nevertheless, some of them have some interesting stuff to look at. Petals is the best furniture shop in Dubai pretending to be an art gallery (and is well worthwhile visiting), but otherwise just wander around one of Dubai's shopping centres and you'll find something. But that's hardly what most people are looking for in an art gallery.
There are two 3½ areas of Dubai with a cluster of art galleries and recommended for a visit. The galleries highlighted in green are on the "must see" list (although to be fair, it's worth visiting all the galleries in the same group as they're so close to each other). A list of galleries and further details follow the two suggested areas.
- Bastakiya historical area (or Bastakia) in Bur Dubai to visit the Majlis, XVA (was in DIFC area from Jan 2011 to Nov 2013), Eye Art Gallery, Ostra Art Gallery and maybe the Basta Art Cafe for a coffee - all within walking distance of each other and near the Dubai Museum. It's a pleasant walk around a historical and scenic part of Dubai amongst the Wind Towers.
- Al Quoz Industrial Area to visit B21 Gallery, The Courtyard (gallery, cafe and shops - and the fascinating "Petals"), The Third Line - all within walking distance of each other, and Meem Gallery a short, complicated, drive away. B21, TTL, and Meem are all similar in that they have a large single warehouse style room with periodic exhibitions. Al Quoz really is an industrial area so don't be put off when first venturing in to its cement dusted depths. It's not quite the Louvre (although Abu Dhabi is building one on Saadiyat Island) but persevere, and you'll find these refreshing artistic oases in the desert.
- Al Serkal Avenue (AlSerkal Ave) in Al Quoz - a number of art galleries in warehouses in one location. Enough to keep you busy for a few hours.
Art gallery entries in yellow text are waiting for updated information (send information to firstname.lastname@example.org). Status unknown, might have closed or relocated. Art gallery entries in grey text mean they are closed.
Dubai Metro art museum project
A new initiative announced in March 2014 means the Dubai Metro journey could become more of an art gallery or art museum tour by early 2015. The Dubai Metro Art Museum project will see several art museums installed at various stations, each with a different theme. Initially 4 stations (which ones were not mentioned), possibly expanding to more stations.
Art Galleries and Shops in Dubai, UAE
- *4 Walls Art Gallery [gallery] www.4walls-dubai.com (not available Apr 2014) - art gallery in Al Quoz displaying Middle East and international modern art. Behind Gargash Motors, tel +971-4-3388892, email email@example.com. Opened 2007?
- Aiyad Gallery or Ajyad Gallery (Ayad, Aijad, Ayyad, Ayjad Gallery) (not related to the Ayyam Gallery in Al Quoz) - DIFC Gate Village 5. Opening date Feb or Mar 2013? Or 20 Aug 2013 - reported 21 Aug 2013? Website domain www.ajyadgallery.com (not used - is spam when last checked 27 Aug 2013, but was registered to Ajyad Gallery?). No website at www.aiyadgallery.com. Same owner (Ms Alanood Al Warshow) as Hunar Art Gallery in Rashidiya - entrance says "Aiyad Gallery by Hunar". DIFC information says Hunar Gallery office registered in March 2013.
- *Al Abbar Art Gallery Dubai [shop] - two locations, Gulf Towers tel +971-4-3375537 and Jumeirah Beach Center tel +971-4-3449207 (the blue and glass shopping center on Jumeirah Beach Road). Sells oil paintings, lithographs, limited edition prints, and posters. Opening hours 0900-1300 and 1600-2100 in the Jumeirah Center and 0800-1300 and 1600-2000 in Gulf Towers.
Website was at www.alabbarart.com, is now spam (Apr 2014).
- Antique Museum Al Quoz Dubai [shop] (Al Fakih Collections Group) - not a museum, and not really an antique shop, but a large souvenir shop warehouse in Al Quoz Industrial Area 1 (not 2 as seen in some sources - Google Maps for example?), amongst factories, sand, and dust. Interesting though, and cheaper than the souvenir shops many tourists end up at, especially in the souks, hotels, and shopping malls. But it's difficult to find your way around Al Quoz.
It's sort of behind Times Square Mall - turn into road off 8th Street opposite Al Serkal Ave.
Also a branch at the Dubai Cruise Terminal (probably not as much fun as the one in Al Quoz though)? Opening hours 0900-2000 (approximately, might be closed Fridays or Friday mornings). Tel +971-4-3479935, website www.fakihcollections.com.
- Ara Gallery - see The Ara Gallery.
- Art Sawa Gallery [gallery] - Al Quoz
- ArtSpace Dubai (Art Space Dubai) [gallery] - in Dubai, UAE and London, UK (London gallery opening date 10 May 2012). Modern and Contemporary Middle Eastern and Iranian Art.
- New location DIFC The Gate Village Building 3, Level 2 (Podium level). Tel +971-4-3230820. Managing Director - Maliha Al Tabari.
- Opening hours 1000-2000 Sun-Thu, closed Fri and Sat.
- Promotes art from national and international contemporary artists. Plan to offer new exhibitions every 3 weeks.
- Website www.artspace-dubai.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Old location 9th Floor, Fairmont Hotel, tel +971-4-3325523, Sheikh Zayed Road. Open 1000-1400 & 1500-2100 Saturday to Thursday during Ramadan.
- Ayyam Gallery [gallery], www.ayyamgallery.com, Al Quoz near the other art galleries in Al Quoz. Syrian art. Dubai opening 10am Sat 31 May 2008 (with live artists flown in from around the world), tel +971-4-3236242.
There's a gallery also in Damascus, Syria.
- B21 Progressive Art Gallery [gallery] - opposite Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, +971-4-3403965, email@example.com, no website.
- Bagash Art Gallery - tel +971-4-3515311. Opened in early 2006 to showcase southeast Asian Art.
Website www.bagashartgallery.com is spam (Apr 2014).
- Basta Art Cafe [cafe] - Bastikiya, tel +971-4-3626100 (or +971-4-3535071?), a few trinkets for sale. Another delightful restored building with large shaded outdoor area to drink your tea. Open Sat-Thu 1000-2200.
- Boutique 1 / Boutique1, www.boutique1.com - new shop at The Walk JBR, Dubai Marina, tel +971-4-3304555, email firstname.lastname@example.org, open 06 November 2008. Includes Boutique 1 Art Gallery, Boutique 1 Books, Boutique 1 Cafe, Boutique 1 Spa, Boutique 1 Living (men's and women's fashion), Boutique 1 Magazine. Manager Fadi Mogabgab, a Lebanese curator. New exhibitions each month of art including paintings, photography, sculpture, coffee (ok, maybe the coffee doesn't change). January 2009 - Joanna Andraos (artist in attendance), February 2009 Joan Miro & Alexander Calder, March 2009 Marwan Sahmarani (artist attending), April 2009 Akri Kuroda, May 2009 Andonov, June 2009 Michel Pelloille. First Boutique 1 shop at the Boulevard (upper level), Jumeirah Emirates Towers. Boutique 1 fashion also for sale (discounted) at Dubai Outlet Mall in their shop "The Outlet"
- Carbon 12 Gallery, www.carbon12dubai.com - art gallery in Al Serkal Ave, Al Quoz (Warehouse D37, Street 8). Postal address PO Box 214437, Dubai, UAE. Opening hours 1130-1900 Saturday to Thursday (closed Fridays). Email email@example.com, tel +971-4-3406016. Previous location was Marina View Towers ground floor, Dubai Marina.
- Christie's Dubai (well-known international art auctioneers) sales office [art auctions] - office 7, 1st floor, building 2, Emaar Business Park, Sheikh Zayed Road, PO Box 48800, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, tel +971-4-3615323, fax +971-4-3615324, open Sunday-Thursday, 1000-1800. Managing Director - Michael Jeha. Opened office in April 2005 so all the rich people in Dubai could give them their surplus cash.
- Creative Arab - see Meem Art Gallery information.
- Design People [shop] - Mazaya Centre, Sheikh Zayed Road web www.designpeopledubai.com, furniture shop with paintings by Imad Bechara (Lebanon). Clever looking website.
- Dubai International Art Centre (DIAC) [gallery] - see Gallery 76.
- Emorarts - an online art gallery, open 24/7 (of course), delivery by DHL. Based in Dubai, established by Ian Mercer and Ian Mulville.
Website www.emorarts.com is spam (Apr 2014).
- Etemad Dubai - opening date 14 March 2011 with an exhibition called "New Wave - British Art Today" (private viewing event on 13 March 2011 from 1900-2100, open to public from 14 March to 01 May 2011). Area 7,500 ft², location in Unit 12 in the Al Serkal Avenue area in Al Quoz (8th street). Etemad Dubai is part of the Etemad Gallery Middle East organisation, established in 2002 in Tehran, Iran, to promote and show contemporary Iranian artworks. Website www.galleryetemad.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eye Gallery [gallery], Bastakia, small pleasant gallery with avant-garde exhibitions from resident artists in Dubai, especially Iranian art. Open 0900-2000 (1000-1900 during Ramadan). Tel +971-4-3534833, email email@example.com, no website.
- Falcon Gallery Al Quoz [shop] - another one of those odd household items shops but sort of interesting, including a collection of Christmas decorations. You might find a few bargains to decorate your home with. First established in Sharjah in 1976 which makes it historical by UAE standards. The Dubai branch is in an Al Quoz warehouse, sort of behind the Oasis Center, and like most places in Al Quoz, difficult to find unless you've been there are few times already. Tel +971-3385733, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.falcongallery.net. They also have shops in Nad Al Hamar Dubai, and Sharjah.
- Five Green [shop] - behind Aroma Garden Cafe, Oud Metha Road, Bur Dubai, tel +971-4-3364100. Art, music, clothes and magazines for modern urban living.
Website www.fivegreen.com not available (Apr 2014).
- Flying Colors Art Gallery - Russian and other art. New gallery, shop in 2011? Location - Apex Atrium Bulding in Dubai Motor City (next to Spinneys). Contact details email: email@example.com, phone: +971-4-4534979, fax: +971-4-4534978, postal address: PO Box 454476, Dubai UAE, website www.flyingcolorsgallery.com.
- Four Seasons Ramesh Gallery [shop] - Bastakia tel +971-4-3536881, fax +971-4-3536177, www.fourseasonsgallery.com (under construction Oct 2006). A commercial establishment selling a wide range of teapots, old photos and other vaguely arty looking objects, but not many paintings. Branches also in Mall of the Emirates, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, and Heritage Village.
- Gallery 1 [shop] - Souk Madinat in Jumeirah and Mall of the Emirates. Same place as Middle East Arts in Souk / Souq Madinat. Sells photographs you can't make yourself but wish you could. Web www.g-1.com.
- Gallery 76 (Gallery76) [gallery] - in DIAC, tel +971-4-3444398, opened January 2005. Opening hours Sat-Wed 0900-1700, Thu 0900-1600. Showcasing contemporary art from national and international artists. Location Villa 27, 75b St, Jumeirah 1 (near Mercato shopping mall).
- Glory Art Gallery [shop] - Boutique 25, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai. Art products include Pearls and Rare Gems, Russian and Chinese Imperial Porcelain, Bespoke Jewellery, Batic Fashion Clothing Collection, Metal Works, Paintings and Sculptures. Tel +971-4-4068173, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website www.gloryartgallery.com.
- Godolphin Gallery [showcase] - Nadd / Nad Al Sheba racetrack. It's not art in the normal sense of the word but worth a visit to see the impressive collection of trophies won by horses from Godolphin Stables (that belong to the Maktoum family - Dubai's ruling family). Open daily 0900-1700 and closes 2000 on race nights (mornings only during Ramadan?), web www.godolphin.com/gallery.asp.
- Green Art Gallery [gallery], www.gagallery.com (or blog at gagallery.wordpress.com) - new location from 10 January 2011 is Unit 28, Al Serkal Avenue, Street 8, Al Quoz (behind Spinneys warehouse, near The Courtyard), tel +971-4-3469305, fax +971-4-3469306, email email@example.com. Previous details were: Near Dubai Zoo between Jumeira Beach Road and Al Wasl Road, villa 23, street 51, Jumeirah, tel +971-4-3449888, fax +3447449, PO Box 25711, Dubai, UAE, email firstname.lastname@example.org, www.gagallery.com. Open Sat-Thu 0930-1330 & 1630-2030. During Ramadan, hours are 0930-1500. Middle Eastern art and collectibles.
- Guy Flichy Gallery [gallery] (not Guy Flichey Gallery) - www.guyflichygallery.com, Villa 40, Al Bastakiya, mobile tel +971-50-5415392, email email@example.com. Open late 2008?
- Hunar Gallery (Honar Gallery) - first opened in 1998, location in Rashidiyah - Villa 6, Street 49A, Green Coast Village, Nad Al Hammar Road? Contact tel +971-4-2862224, fax +971-4-2856249, PO Box 61628, Dubai, UAE. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or hunarart@eim, website domain www.hunargallery.com (not available when last checked, is spam - 27 Aug 2013) (some sources list www.hurgallery.com but that appears to be an error, website not available there either anyway). Owner and Managing Director is Ms Al Anood Al Warshow - same owner as Aiyad Art Gallery in DIFC? Opening hours 0900-1700 Sat-Thu, or 0900-2000 Sat-Thu (might be old information).
- Ms AlAnood Al Warshow received Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Patron of the Arts Award in 2010 and 2012.
- Named as best gallery in Dubai for 2009 by L’Officiel magazine (a French fashion magazine, a Middle East version also published in Dubai).
- J+A Gallery  - (Jaroslawski and Augustini Gallery LLC), displays Industrial Antiques and Contemporary German Art, also items from Central Europe. Open August 2012? Opening event 10 September 2012 starting 1830. Location and address: Al Quoz Industrial Area 1, Street 4a, Compound 5, Warehouse 15 (near Noor Islamic Bank metro station). Postal address PO Box 282952, Dubai. Tel +971-4-3389773, fax +971-4-3392429, email email@example.com, website www.ja-gallery.com.
Majlis Gallery [gallery and small shop] - near Dubai Museum, Al Fahidi roundabout, Bastikia (Bastakiya), Bur Dubai, tel +971-4-3536233. Well known as it's been open for years (since 1970). Pleasant courtyard to sit in and drink your bottle of water after walking around. Website www.majlisgallery.com is spam or hijacked, forwards to another site (Apr 2014).
- Meem Gallery [gallery] - Al Quoz, easy to find if you know how, in warehouse #1 between Marina Furniture and Max Garage on Umm Suqeim Rd (the one that goes from Al Khail Rd to the Burj Al Arab). Difficult if coming from the other Al Quoz art galleries. Tel +971-4-3477883, firstname.lastname@example.org. Looks closed if there's no exhibition but if you appear lost, and someone's there, they may let you in.
Website www.creativearab.com is spam or hijacked, forwards to another site (Apr 2014).
- Middle East Arts [shop] - in Souk Madinat in Jumeirah - Umm Suqeim/Um Suqqeim. Tel +971-4-3686057, web www.middleeastarts.com.
Same place as Gallery 1.
- Miraj Islamic Art Centre - Jumeirah Beach road, Jumeirah 3 (in the old University of Wollongong building), tel +971-4-3941084 or +971-4-3941094.
- Mondo Arte [gallery] - The Galleria, second floor, Mall of the Emirates, tel +971-4-3413001. An eclectic collection of paintings from local and international artists.
- Original and Unique Art Gallery [gallery?] - Al Wasl Road, tel +971-4-3948808, email email@example.com, web www.onuart.com. Established in March 1999 for exhibiting European and North American art. Art Institute added February 2005. Open 1000-2100 daily (maybe not Fri mornings though).
- Ostra Gallery [gallery] - Al Fahidi roundabout, Bastakia, Bur Dubai, tel + 971-4-3539441, email firstname.lastname@example.org, no website. Small gallery opened in Sep 2004, displays Arabic paintings and calligraphy.
- Pavilion - see The Pavillion Downtown Dubai.
Petals [shop] - a trinket and furniture shop in The Courtyard Al Quoz which doesn't sound like much but really is worth a visit, especially if you're in The Courtyard or Al Quoz area anyway, just to see what an astounding array of household goods it is possible to buy - Edwardian, Victorian, Baroque, Younameit, etc. You'll feel like you're walking through a museum display. This is not an understatement. They're a bit fussy or snobby about taking photos though - not allowed, and they follow you around to make sure. Tel +971-4-3473003, email email@example.com. There are also similar Petals furniture shop branches in The Dubai Mall, and the Wafi Center (ground floor).
- Picasso Gallery [shop] - Satwa, near the Iranian Hospital, tel +971-4-3450996, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Picture framing shop but they sell a few pictures and large clay pots.
- Port of Call Gallery [shop] - Oriental antiques, furniture, and art gallery for Orient Fine Art LLC Dubai, location 4th floor of the Al Attar Business Tower on Sheikh Zayed Road, established in Dubai October 2000, tel +971-4-3326006, email email@example.com, website www.portofcallgallery.com.
- ProArt Gallery (Pro Art Gallery) [gallery, shop] - Palm Strip Mall in Jumeirah 1 (opposite Jumeirah Mosque), and the new Sunset Mall in Jumeirah 3.
- Salsali Private Museum [art museum] - opening September 2011, displays of contemporary artwork owned by Ramin Salsali, an Iranian collector based in Dubai and Germany. Located on Al Serkal Avenue in Al Quoz near the other Al Quoz art galleries. Contact details not supplied.
- Sahary Gate [tour operator, closed in 2009 or 2010?] - walk in through what appears to be a garage door into a welcoming restored courtyard with tourist office, gallery, resident calligrapher, conference room and coffee shop. During Ramadan they have an Iftar Buffet on the roof with a cultural presentation for 180 dhs per person. They also do seminars on UAE culture, tours of the UAE, and language courses. Bastakia House No 14, tel +971-4-3535660, fax +971-4-3539747, PO Box 44911, Dubai, UAE.
Website www.saharygate.com (not available from 2010 - taken over by spam or something else).
- Salsali Private Museum (SPM) [art gallery] - museum of contemporary art in Al Quoz opened 13 November 2011. Private gallery owned by Iranian art collector Ramin Salsali. Displays artworks by Iranian, Middle Eastern and European artists including painting, photography, video art, sculpture, installation. Initial exhibition included works by Reza Derakhshani, Farideh Lashaii, Ramin and Rokni Haerizadeh, Hesam Rahmanian, Amir-Hossein Zanjani, Halim Al Karim. Location Al Quoz 1 (Sheikh Zayed Road exit 43), Road 8, Al Serkal Avenue Complex, Unit 14. Postal address PO Box 123234, Dubai, UAE. Tel +971-4-3809600, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Opening hours Sunday to Thursday 11:00-18:00, Saturday 13:00-17:00, Friday closed. Website www.salsalipm.com.
- Sharjah Art Museum, www.sdci.gov.ae - Bait Al Serkal, Al Shuwaiheyn area, Sharjah, near the Old Souk/Bazaar in the Arts Area of Sharjah. Tel +971-6-5688222, basement parking available. Admission free, open 0900-1300 & 1700-2000 except Mon (closed) & Fri (1700-2000 only). Wed afternoon for ladies only (young children ok). Check hours on public holidays. Ramadhan hours mornings only. Permanent collection belongs to the Ruler of Sharjah - Dr Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qassimi. Regular exhibitions, lectures, workshops etc. Established in 1995, moved to new building in 1997. Visit it to realise Sharjah is not just about dodgy car parts and strict dress codes. Dubai has nothing like this. At least, not yet.
- The Ara Gallery [shop/gallery] - Downtown Dubai, near the Burj Khalifa, opening date 21 April 2011. Area 3,000 sq ft, displays of Arab contemporary art. Founder is Moza Mohammed Al Abbar. Partnership with Habitat for Humanity to help raise funds for orphans and underprivileged children in Lesotho. Opening exhibition, "Through the Eyes of Africa's Children", will feature works from Saeed Khalifa, Saeed Al Madani, Khawla Al Marri, Maryam Al Qassimi, Maryam Al Sayegh, Alia Rashid Al Shamsi. Not related to a couple of other ARA Galleries in USA. Website www.thearagallery.ae (forwards to www.thearagallery.com which is now spam), email email@example.com (probably no longer available).
Closed September 2013.
- The Courtyard [gallery and shops], www.courtyard-uae.com - near Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3475050. A collection of art galleries (well, one), artists, exhibitions, art supplies, furniture, and a cafe/coffee shop. Pleasant place to visit. Don't leave without having a look in "Petals".
- The Empty Quarter [art gallery], www.theemptyquarter.com - DIFC Gate Village, Building 02, PO Box 509997, Dubai. A new (in 2009) art gallery that has a focus on fine art photography.
- The Jam Jar [gallery, studio, and events], www.thejamjardubai.com (changed from www.jamjardubai.com) - a company that organises art related activities, for individual or corporate clients. They have a DIY art studio (with art supplies, coffee and music) and art gallery. They'll even come to you for an event. Tel +971-4-3417303, email firstname.lastname@example.org, location is street 17a in Al Quoz, behind the Modern Bakery and Dubai Garden Center near Mall of the Emirates (exit 39 on Sheikh Zayed Road). Open hours Monday to Thursday 10am - 9pm, Friday 2pm - 9pm, closed Sundays.
- The Mojo Gallery [gallery] - Unit 33, Al Serkal Avenue, Street 8, Al Quoz 1 (one block behind Times Square), tel +971-4-3236367. Opening date 03 November 2009 with an exhibition by Gail Catlin from South Africa running 04-25 November 2009. Mojo Gallery focuses on highlighting emerging international artists.
Website www.themojogallery.com (check, Flash overload Apr 2014).
- The Pavilion Downtown Dubai - art gallery and cafe, also a library and film evenings. On Emaar Boulevard. Website www.pavilion.ae, email email@example.com, tel +971-4-4477025. Opening hours 1000-2400 daily.
- 29 Dec 2013 - The Pavilion announced they had reopened. Appears to be an Emaar sales office and coffee shop now, not an art gallery anymore, instead has interesting display models of Downtown Dubai and other Emaar developments.
- 01 Oct 2013 - The Pavilion announced they would be remodeled as part of The Opera District, a new development planned for Downtown Dubai, but unknown what sort of part. It sounds like it will be closed for a while, or permanently, which would be a shame ... it was a popular place.
- Closed for Ramadan 2013, reopening 09 Aug 2013 ... or not ... closure extended indefinitely for renovations.
- The Red Gallery [gallery, closed?] - Villa 833b, Al Wasl Rd (Iranian Hospital Road), after Umm Suqeim Spinneys heading in Jebel Ali direction. Tel +971-4-3955811, fax +971-4-395-5812, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Gallery specialising in contemporary Asian fine art. Opened late 2006 or early 2007?
Website www.theredgallery.net not available or hijacked (Apr 2014).
The Third Line [gallery], www.thethirdline.com - between The Courtyard and Spinneys warehouse, sign is a bit obscure, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3411367, www.thethirdline.com. They've done a good job of turning a warehouse into a gallery.
- Total Arts [gallery] - The Courtyard, near Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3475050. Opened 1996, specialising in Middle East influenced art and artists. Owner Dariush Zandi.
- Total Design [studio] - The Courtyard, near Spinneys warehouse, Al Quoz 3, tel +971-4-3475050. Photographic studio also owned by Dariush Zandi.
- XVA [gallery], www.xvagallery.com - behind the Majlis Gallery, near Dubai Museum, Bastakia, Bur Dubai, tel +971-4-3535383, email email@example.com. Cafe and guesthouse accommodation in a restored building, rooms are 700-800 dhs per night. Gallery open 0900-2100 Sat-Thu. Movie nights in splendid courtyard retaurant on Wed nights from 8 pm when temperature is cool enough (approx Nov-Mar), sometimes the director or producer will be there to talk about the movie. H2O dhow cruise also part of their offerings. Update: moved to DIFC from 25 January 2011. Boutique hotel and cafe still operating in Bastakiya (website www.xvahotel.com)? Update Nov 2013: moved back to the Al Bastakiya historical area from 14 Nov 2013 (also called Al Fahidi historical district), email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +971-4-3535383, fax +971-4-3535988, open 1000-1800 daily (including Fridays) or by appointment at other times.
Art Galleries in Abu Dhabi
- Abu Dhabi Art Hub - opened 06 Nov 2012. A community area for artists from Abu Dhabi (and anywhere else), area 2,500 sq m on 3 floors. Facilities include complimentary space to host art activities and exhibitions, coffee shop, production and post-production facilities, 10 live and work units, large gallery area, media centre, workshop spaces, private art studios, offices for art related businesses. Activities planned include country specific art exhibitions, street art, art-related charity events, open house tours for school children, art in the desert program, photography exhibitions, workshops. Educational facilities include learning modules on history and evolution of art, live painting, film nights, children's art, school and university art. Located in Mussaffah Industrial Area, near corner of 7th St and 63rd St? Contact details: tel +971-2-6773111, fax +971-2-6771198. Website at www.adah.ae.
- Manarat Al Saadiyat in the Saadiyat Island Cultural District.
- Saadiyat Island - Guggenheim, Abu Dhabi Louvre, Sheikh Zayed National Museum (under construction
Art Galleries in Al Ain
- Al Qattara Arts Centre - open date 29 March 2011. Launched by the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage (ADACH). Focusing on showcasing Emirati artists. AQAC will also offer courses from May 2011 including arts and crafts, calligraphy, computing, music, photography, pottery. Located at the Al Qattara Fort in the Al Qatara Oasis area. Telephone +971-3-7118200, email email@example.com. First events and exhibitions are:
- WOMAD music, art, and dance festival from 30 March 2011 to 06 April 2011
- "Four Decades" Emirati art exhibition from 29 March 2011 to 29 April 2011.
Art Galleries in Sharjah
- Maraya Arts Center in Al Qasba Sharjah.
- See list of art museums in Sharjah.
Art exhibitions, fairs and auctions in Dubai and UAE
- Abu Dhabi Art - first exhibition 19-22 November 2009 at Emirates Palace Hotel, with the support of TDIC and ADACH. Expected to be an annual exhibition showcasing international art and art galleries, especially Arab and Middle Eastern art. Sounds a bit like an Abu Dhabi version of Art Dubai.
- Art Dubai - art exhibition at the Madinat Jumeirah from 18-21 March 2009
- Art Antiques Design Dubai - art, furniture, book displays from international art galleries and dealers, from 18-22 February 2009
- Art Paris Abu Dhabi - Annual art exhibition at Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi (first one in 2007), with art from .... well, we'll let you have a wild guess at that. Dates are 17-21 November 2008.
- Contemparabia - a seven-day tour from 15-21 March 2009 to museums and art fairs in Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Sharjah
- Creek Art Fair - art galleries in Bastakiya expand and show more art at the same time as the Art Dubai fair (renamed as Al Bastakiya Art Fair according to news report 24 January 2009?). Dates 15-22 March 2009
- Gulf Art Fair - renamed as Art Dubai for 2008
- Sharjah Biennial (Sharjah International Art Biennial) - 16 March to 16 May 2009
- START at Art Dubai 2009 - an arts program for underpriviledged children during Art Dubai 18-21 March 2009
Art societies, clubs, councils and groups in Dubai and UAE
- Al Owais Cultural Foundation
- ARTE, Artisans of the UAE - www.arte.ae - an arts and crafts group.
- Cultural and Scientific Association
- Design People Dubai - www.designpeopledubai.com - interesting website. Different.
- Dubai Arts & Crafts group - groups.msn.com/dubaiartscrafts
- DUCTAC - Dubai Community Theatre and Arts Centre, www.ductac.org, non profit art and theatre center at Mall of the Emirates on the 2nd floor, at the Ski Dubai end. Has a pottery studio, dance and arts classes, an art gallery, The Centre for Musical Arts, The Art Materials Shop, The Old Library, The Manu Chhabria Arts Center (not Chabria). Tel +971-4-3414777 (general), fax +971-4-3414443 (arts center), fax +971-4-3414445 (theatre), email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dubai Cultural City - a several billion dhs development announced early in 2006 which will include the first Klingon-designed Opera House in the world.
- Dubai Cultural Council (DCC) - web www.dubaiculturalcouncil.ae (needs updating - all events and shows listed have already happened). Established 12 January 2004 to facilitate development of Dubai as a cultural hub in the Middle East.
- Dubai International Art Centre (DIAC) - www.artdubai.com - villa No 27, street 75b, near Town Centre, Jumeirah Beach Road, tel +971-4-3444398. Well-established center for art supplies, courses. Since January 2005, Gallery 76 has art displays and art exhibitions.
- Emirates Fine Arts Society (EFAS) - based in Sharjah with offices also in Abu Dhabi, Khorfakkan, and Ras Al Khaimah. Main tel +971-6-5354488, email email@example.com, web www.artsuae.org.ae (may not be correct - dated 2000 but cannot find more up to date version). Promotes art appreciation and education with courses, lectures, seminars, and workshops for calligraphy, ceramics, graphic art, painting, photography, and sculpture. Occasionally publishes in fine arts related magazines and periodicals. Established in 1980. Member of the Arab Art Association and the International Art Association (Arab) in Paris.
- Juma Al Majid Heritage and Cultural Center
- RAKarts (RAK arts) - established May 2008 in Khouzam (near RAKESS) to promote arts in Ras Al Khaimah with pictures for adults to look at and activities for children. They also offer yoga, pilates, and martial arts - to make the human body look more artistic we guess. Website or domains www.rakarts.ae or www.rakarts.com? Check, .com has no information (Apr 2014).
- Sharjah Arts Society - same as the Emirates Arts Society.
- The Jam Jar (see listing in art galleries section above) organise art related activities, for individual or corporate clients.
Last update Sunday 27-Jul-2014
- Bastakiya quarter - historic area of Dubai with art galleries, cafes, and historic buildings, and a Saturday Souk arts & crafts fair in winter.
- Dubai Film Festival
- Historic landmarks in Dubai
- Museums in Dubai
- Photos of Dubai
- Things to do in Dubai
- Tourist guide to Dubai
Related websites (new window)
- www.alserkalavenue.ae - Al Serkal Avenue art galleries, exhibitions, events
- www.artsabudhabi.ae - Arts Abu Dhabi website
- www.artinthecity.com - art in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah. Maps, calendar of art fairs and art related events, the Art Bus timetable.
- www.uaeinteract.com/uae_gall/index.asp - list of local UAE Emirati artists and images of their works.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.