Traffic fines discount in UAE
Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
Traffic fine discounts in Dubai and UAE
List of traffic fine discount news and announcements for Abu Dhabi, Dubai, RAK, Sharjah, and other emirates in the UAE. Information about discounts on traffic fines and penalties in the UAE. See also: List of traffic fines.
Up to 100% traffic fine discounts in Dubai 2019-2020
"Traffic Fines Settlement" scheme announced by Dubai Police in Feb 2019. Summary in this table. More explanation below larger table of UAE traffic fine announcements.
07 Nov 2019: Dubai Police announced that phase III of the discount scheme had started. Meaning that drivers who had committed no offences (except minor ones) since 07 Feb 2019 would have discount on outstanding fines from before 07 Feb 2019 updated to 75%. After 07 Feb 2020, if they still have a clean record, the discount will be upgraded to 100% (phase IV). Reference: twitter.com/DubaiPoliceHQ/status/1192361944067559425.
|Discount||During payment (registration) dates||If no offences during*||Or*||Notes|
|25%||07 May to 06 Aug 2019||07 Feb to 06 May 2019||01 Feb to 01 May 2019|
|50%||07 Aug to 06 Nov 2019||07 Feb to 06 Aug 2019||01 Feb to 01 Aug 2019|
|75%||07 Nov 2019 to 06 Feb 2020||07 Feb to 06 Nov 2019||01 Feb to 01 Nov 2019|
|100%||06 or 07 Feb 2020 until [date not given]?||07 Feb 2019 to 06 Feb 2020||01 Feb to 01 Feb 2020|
*Dubai Police announcement was on 06 Feb 2019 (ref FB, UAE newspapers), however, a Dubai Police graphic published on FB said "... and does not commit any violations for a full calendar year starting from 1 February 2019".
Aug 2019 > Nov 2019: Some minor fines will be ignored for calculating discount. The Dubai Police Assistant Chief, Major-General Engineer Mohammed Saif Al Zafeen, said "We cannot waste the effort of a motorist who has been committed to six months since the initiative was launched, when he is close to get a 50 per cent discount on his fines because of a minor violation", but which fines were not specified. It should show in your traffic record. Reference: KT 07 Nov 2019, www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/dubai/3-months-to-go-for-100-discount-on-traffic-fines.
Traffic fine discounts in the UAE
Dubai 100% discount traffic fine system might be implemented in all UAE emirates according to the UAE Federal Traffic Council Chairman and Dubai Police Assistant Commander-in-Chief, Major-General Engineer Mohammed Saif Al Zafeen, who said "If convinced, the council will recommend it to the Ministry of Interior for its approval on an implementation across all of the UAE". Reference: TN, 22 Aug 2019, www.thenational.ae/uae/dubai-s-traffic-fine-discount-scheme-may-go-uae-wide-1.901494.
- Traffic police authorities in the UAE occasionally announce a discount on outstanding traffic fines. Sometimes during Ramadan or on UAE National Day but this is not a consistent special offer. The discounts started after a decree was announced in Jul 2010 permitting the traffic and police departments in the UAE to offer discounts. There is not an exact formula regarding when, where, or to whom the fines discount applies but usually discounts apply to:
- all UAE residents (both expat and Emirati), unless limited to residents of a specified emirate(s).
- cars registered anywhere in the UAE, unless limited to cars registered in a specific emirate(s).
- fines only issued by the traffic police authority making the announcement, e.g. in Dubai by the Dubai Police.
- We are not aware of any discounts with restrictions based on nationality (so far).
- The RTA in Dubai, Sharjah RTA, Abu Dhabi DOT, Dubai Municipality (DM) have not (so far) given any discounts on fines issued by them. They are the authorities which issue parking fines, public transport fines, etc. The traffic police issue speeding and other driving related fines, parking fines if you are blocking traffic, etc.
List of traffic fines discount announcements in the UAE
- Generally, discount amounts and payment periods apply to penalties depending on the emirate in which they were issued, not the emirate the driver or car comes from, however, some discounts are also restricted to residents or vehicles registered in the emirate which offers the discount (e.g. February 2019 announcement by Dubai Police).
- Fees or fines paid in lieu of car impound periods are usually included in discount offers, at least in Dubai. But don't always count on it.
|28 Nov 2019||50%||Fujairah||All UAE||Fujairah||30 Nov 2019||02 Dec 2019 to 02 Feb 2020||Announced by Fujairah Police|
|[Fake] Nov 2019||50%||Dubai||Rumour, denied by Dubai Police|
|2019 Oct 22||50%||Sharjah||All UAE probably||SHJ only||21 Oct 2019||22 Oct 2019 to 31 Jan 2020||Not SRTA parking. See notes.|
|2019 Oct 21||25%||AUH||any UAE||AUH tolls||indefinite?||within 30 days of issue date||Only for AUH toll gate fines.|
|2019 Mar 04||50%||Ajman||any UAE?||Ajman||31 Dec 2018||After 01 Jul 2019 but only if ...||... no fines issued Jan-Jun 2019|
|2019 Feb 06||25%-100%||Dubai||DXB registration||Dubai Police||See notes||Parking, Salik excluded|
|[Fake] 2018 Dec||50%||Sharjah||Oct 2017 news repeated|
|2018 Oct 03||30%||RAK||any?||RAK Police||11 Jul 2018?||07 Oct 2018 to 30 Nov 2018|
|2017 Dec 02||50%||all||all UAE emirates||all UAE||02 Dec 2017||2017-12-02 to 2018-03-01||UAE National Day|
|2017 Nov||50%||Fujairah||any?||police in FUJ||20-11-2017||2017-11-25 to 2018-01-04|
|2017 Oct 18||50%||Sharjah||any||Sharjah||18 Oct 2017||2017-10-18 to 2018-02-28||Black points also cancelled.|
|2015 Dec||50%||UAQ||03-12-2015 to 02-01-2016||Oct 2015 news extended|
|2015 Oct||50%||UAQ||any UAE||UAQ only||in 2015?||18-10-2015 to 03-12-2015|
|2013 Jun 13||none||Dubai||Dubai Police||in 2013|
|2013 Apr 02||50%||Sharjah||Sharjah||07-04-2013 to 06-08-2013|
|2013 Oct 01||50%||UAQ||01-10-2013||01-10-2013 to 02-12-2013|
|2012 Jan 10||40% (30%)||Dubai||extended to 2012-01-10||RTA, Salik excluded|
|2012 Jan 10||50%?||AUH||Not confirmed|
|2011||50%||UAQ||UAQ||27-11-2011||up to 31 Dec 2011|
|2011 Dec 29||50%||Ajman||end 2011||01-01-2012 to 28-02-2012|
|2011 Dec 29||50%||Sharjah||27-12-2011||01-01-2012 to 30-04-2012|
|2011 Nov 30||40%-50%||RAK||end(?) 2011||01-01-2012 to 30-04-2012|
|2011 Sep 08||30%||Dubai||Dubai||09-09-2011||11-09-2011 to 11-12-2011|
|2011 Aug 01||Dubai||Dubai Police||Details coming later|
|2011 Jul 29||Dubai||Dubai Police||Details coming later|
|2010 Jul 02||<50%||UAE||varies||varies||varies||varies||Decree 400/2010|
|2010 Jun 27||50%||AUH||any UAE||AUH only||?||?|
Discounts on traffic fines in UAE
- ✓ 02 Jul 2010 - traffic departments in all UAE emirates could allow a discount of up to 50% on traffic fine payments according to ministerial decree No. 400/2010, issued by Lieutenant General Shaikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and UAE Minister of Interior, according to comments reported in the press by Brigadier Gaith Hassan Al Za'abi, Director of Traffic Department, UAE Ministry of Interior.
Discounts on traffic fines in Abu Dhabi (includes Al Ain)
- ✓ 21 Oct 2019: Fines related to the new Abu Dhabi toll gate system will be discounted by 25% if paid within 30 days of the issued date. Reference AB, KT.
- ✓ 27 Jun 2010: Abu Dhabi traffic fines, including those issued in Al Ain and Al Gharbiya (Western Region), automatically receive a 50% discount when being paid. This applies to tickets issued in Abu Dhabi no matter where the car is registered or where the driver lives. It does not apply to tickets issued in other emirates for Abu Dhabi registered vehicles. The Abu Dhabi discount applies to all outstanding fines (issued in the emirate of Abu Dhabi).
Discounts on traffic fines in Ajman
- ✓ 04 Mar 2019: Ajman Police announced a 50% discount on fines issued in Ajman before the end of 2018 but only if motorists are free of violations for the first six months of 2019 ("from 01 Jan to 01 Jun" stated, which is 5 months, assume 6 months is correct). If that's the case, then the discount will apply in July 2019. Announcement sounded like it applied to fines issued in Ajman emirate to drivers with cars registered anywhere in the UAE. Assume parking fines not included. Reference: WAM.
- ✓ 29 Dec 2011: Ajman (and Sharjah) announced discounts of 50% for outstanding traffic fines. In Ajman for fines issued until end of 2011 (exact date not provided), and if payment made between 01 Jan and 28 Feb 2012.
Discounts on traffic fines in Dubai
RTA and Salik fines are usually (or always) excluded from any traffic fine discounts applied in Dubai. Reference 04 Aug 2011 report in the Khaleej Times (KT), and most other announcements for traffic fine discounts in Dubai.
50% to 75% traffic fine discount in Dubai, November 2019
07 Nov 2019: There were rumours of a special offer for one day only 50% discount on traffic fines, however this was denied by Dubai Police on 10 Nov 2019. Original source of rumour unknown. Perhaps originated from misunderstanding of the Dubai Police "Traffic Fines Settlement" initiative announced in Feb 2019 which is a discount of 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% on outstanding fines depending on how long since Feb 2019 a driver has managed to avoid any further fines (see below). On 07 Nov 2019, Dubai Police did announce that the discount applicable increased from 50% to 75%. It will be up to 100% in Feb 2020.
100% discount on traffic fines in Dubai announced Feb 2019
15 May 2019 update to the Dubai Police traffic fine discount announced in Feb 2019: When renewing your vehicle registration you can choose whether or not you pay traffic fines. This means you can delay payment to hopefully take advantage of the tiered discount rate for the 12 months from Feb 2019 to Feb 2020. This only applies to vehicles with Dubai registration, and does not apply to RTA or parking fines. Major General Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri, the Dubai Police boss, said "Individuals can go to registration centres and decide whether or not to pay traffic fines immediately. Individuals can choose the amount of fines they want to clear. However, if they don’t commit a traffic offence, they don’t have to pay anything till February 2020."
Discounts are automatically applied to outstanding fines, should be clear when you check online or smartphone apps from Dubai Police or Ministry of Interior (MOI).
[See table above main table]
25% to 100% discount on fines issued before 07 Feb 2019, i.e. up to 06 Feb 2019. Update 15 May 2019: fine payment can be delayed when registering your vehicle to take advantage of the up to 100% discount according to a Dubai Police Chief announcement. Additionally, discounts already earned will not be withdrawn according to Brigadier Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, Traffic Department Director, who said "Some drivers who benefited from the 25 per cent discount are afraid of canceling the discount if they commit a traffic fine later but they shouldn’t be worried as the discount can’t be cancelled."
For example (based on our understanding, we're not sure though, it seems complicated):
- In Feb 2019 you get a speeding fine of AED 600. In Dubai. Remember this is a Dubai Police promotion for Dubai registered vehicles only.
- In May 2019, 3 months after the offense, you are eligible for 25% discount. You renew your registration in May 2019 but choose not to pay the discounted fine.
- In Aug 2019 the discount increases to 50% (6 months after the fine).
- In Sep 2019 you get another speeding fine of AED 600. The previous 50% discount on the first fine is frozen and still applies but only to that first fine.
- In Nov 2019 you are eligible for 25% discount on the second speeding fine.
- In Jan 2019 you get another speeding fine of AED 600. The previous discounts are frozen.
- In Feb 2020 you pay your outstanding fines. 1. AED 600 - 50% = AED 300. 2. AED 600 - 25% = AED 450. 3. AED 600 no discount. Total fines AED 1800. Total discount AED 450. Total to pay AED 1350.
- Discounts do not apply to driving license related fines, only to traffic offences, and only issued in Dubai. Reference Dubai Police replies to twitters: twitter.com/DubaiPoliceHQ/status/1192361944067559425.
- Applies to fines issued before 07 Feb 2019 (and possibly after 07 Feb 2019 - see explanation below), by Dubai Police, for vehicles registered in Dubai, privately registered vehicles only. Excludes parking or Salik fines. Excludes company registered vehicles (e.g. public transport, rental vehicles, delivery vehicles). Excludes any owners who stay more than 3 months out of the UAE from the date of the offence.
- Announcement did not specify if the fine-free period meant no fines issued by Dubai Police, or no fines issued by any traffic related authority in Dubai or UAE.
- The announcement (reference Dubai Police FB page) said "This initiative is effective from February 2019. The driver's compliance with traffic laws and regulations will be computer on 1 February 2019 with a (25%) reduction for every three months. If a driver commits an offence before the end of the period, he/she cannot benefit from the initiative, and the grace period is recounted from the date of the new violation." Most reports referred to a date of 07 Feb 2019, not 01 Feb 2019. The statement seems to say that the 3-12 month period of no offences before calculation of discount starts either from 01 Feb 2019, or the date of most recent offence if it occurs after 01 Feb 2019.
- Some reports said that discount applies only to fines issued before 07 Feb 2019. In which case, discount amount depends on time between 07 Feb 2019 and date of fine payment. During that time you must have no more fines issued.
- Discount also applies to black points awarded, and cost of removing impounded vehicles in lieu of impound time.
- Note that dates given in table are our calculations, and some sources give periods as 06 Feb to 06 May, 06 Feb to 05 May, 07 Feb to 07 May, etc depending on how the information is interpreted.
- For offences accumulated up to 06 Feb 2019 and not yet paid (if already paid, discount does not apply retroactively):
Information previous to 15 May 2019 update [obsolete or redundant or wrong, check, delete]
The announcement did not explain if traffic fine payment date could be chosen differently from car registration renewal date. Usually in the UAE, fines accumulated during the previous 12 months are paid when doing annual car registration renewal. It is possible to pay them before that date, but not possible to postpone payment since car registration renewal will not be done until all outstanding fines are paid. The conclusion is that to obtain the maximum 100% discount on any fines issued before 01, 06, or 07 Feb 2019 (depending on which bit of the announcement you read), you must have no traffic offences for 12 months from that date, and register your car on or after 06 Feb 2020, depending on the last day you can make payment and still take advantage of the special discount offer.
- [Update 15 May 2019, this table is probably wrong now] For offences committed after 06 Feb 2019, if the 3-12 month violation-free period required for a 25%-100% discount starts on the day after the date of the last offence, a different table of dates looks like this:
|Discount||During payment (registration) dates||If no offences during*||Notes|
|25%||07 May 2019 to 07 Feb 2020||last offence date +3 months|
|50%||07 Aug 2019 to 07 Feb 2020||last offence date +6 months|
|75%||07 Nov 2019 to 07 Feb 2020||last offence date +9 months|
|100%||06 or 07 Feb 2020 only?||Unlikely*|
*Unlikely unless last offence before 07 Feb 2019, and no further traffic offences made, and fine payment not made until 07 Feb 2020 (or car registration renewal done on that day).
Other Dubai traffic fine discount news and announcements
- ✓ 13 Jun 2013 - Dubai Police said no traffic fine discounts would apply in 2013 due to the increase in reckless driving causing an increased number of accidents.
- ✓ 10 Jan 2012 - deadline (extended from 11 Dec 2011) for discount on traffic fines issued by Dubai Police (not for RTA or Salik fines). Discount amount increased from 30% to 40%. Might be 50% discount for Abu Dhabi fines (deadline unknown).
- ✓ 11 Sep 2011 (Sun) until 11 Dec 2011 (announced 08 Sep 2011) - 30% discount on traffic fine payments in Dubai for offences made before 09 Sep 2011. Discount also applies to fees paid in lieu of having car confiscated.
- ✓ 04 Aug 2011 - a Khaleej Times report clarified that RTA issued fines would not be discounted (for example parking tickets, Salik fines, late registration fees, public transport fines) - Ahmed Hashim Bahrozyan, CEO of the RTA siad "Traffic fines are fully owned by the Dubai Police and the RTA owns fines like parking, Salik etc, which are not considered traffic fines. As far as I'm aware, fines owned by the RTA are not up for discounts".
- ✓ 01 Aug 2011 - a Gulf News report said that the Dubai Executive Council had approved discounts for traffic fine payments in Dubai. Timing and actual discount would be announced later ... Lieutenant Colonel Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, Acting Director of Dubai Police's Traffic Department, said drivers with hefty fines will benefit from the initiative provided they settle all their fines in one go and meet other conditions to be announced later.
- ✓ 29 Jul 2011 - Gulf News report said that the Chief of Dubai Police, Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim, confirmed on his Twitter page that Dubai would start giving traffic fine discounts, but didn't say when or how much. This follows a new law issued in 2010 allowing traffic departments in each emirate to offer traffic fine discounts.
Discounts on traffic fines in Fujairah
- ✓ 28 Nov 2019: Fujairah Police announce a 50% discount on fines issued before 30 Nov 2019 (so the announcement was a bit premature?), discount applies to fine payments made 02 Dec 2019 to 02 Feb 2019. Black points and car impound fines get 100% discount. References:
- www.khaleejtimes.com/national-day-2019/uae-national-day-50-discount-on-traffic-fines-announced-1 (article dated 30 Nov 2019 but secondary sources republished KT article on 28 and 29 Nov 2019, odd).
- [Update] 50% discount in Nov 2017 for as part of the Year of Giving and to commemorate the 46th UAE National Day. Directive issued by Sheikh Mohammad Bin Hamad Bin Mohammad Al Sharqi, Crown Prince of Fujairah.
Discounts on traffic fines in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)
- 03 Oct 2018: Fines issued in RAK discounted by 30% if paid from 07 Oct to 01 Nov 2018. Applies to fines issued more than 81 days before announcement date or fines issued within the 81 days up to announcement date? RAK Traffic Police announcement. Update: payment date extended to 30 Nov 2018?
- ✓ 30 Nov 2011 - Ras Al Khaimah announced a 40% discount (later reports said a 50% discount) on traffic fines issued during 2011 (unclear if that includes fines issued in Dec 2011), if payment made between 01 Jan and 30 Apr 2012. Payments made in Dec 2011 will apparently not be discounted.
Discounts on traffic fines in Sharjah
- ✓ [but not clear] 22 Oct 2019 - Sharjah Police announced a Sharjah Executive Council decision to give 50% discount on traffic fines and removal of outstanding black points issued before 22 Oct 2019. It was not clear if discount applied only to fines issued in Sharjah for all UAE motorists, or only for vehicles registered in Sharjah, or both, or something else. Assume only for fines issued by Sharjah Police unless different information from an authoritative source issued.
Parking tickets are not included. Reference: www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302781195.
A news update on 23 Oct 2019 explained the fines could be paid through apps and websites of the UAE Ministry of Interior (MOI) and police departments in other emirates (apparently wasn't possible on 22 and 23 Oct), also can be paid at Sahl devices in shopping malls and at Sharjah police stations. The update still didn't explicitly state if discount was applicable to Sharjah registered vehicles, or violations in Sharjah, or both, or something else, but the way the news reports are written it sounds to us like the discount applies to traffic fines handed out by Sharjah Police only but for any UAE registered vehicle. Sharjah RTA fines don't appear to be included. Reference: Sharjah Police Instagram (Arabic), Gulf Today or Khaleej Times (English).
- ✓ 18 Oct 2017: 50% discount announced on the 50th anniversary of Sharjah Police. Discount applies to fines issued in Sharjah before 18 Oct 2017, and discount applies to payments made before 31 Dec 2017. Any black points collected before 18 Oct 2017 will be cancelled. Update 27 Dec 2017: Payment period for discounted fines extended to 28 Feb 2018. References: www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302639906, www.wam.ae/en/details/1395302656985.
- ✓ 02 Apr 2013 - Sharjah Police announced 50% discount on traffic fine payment for tickets issued in Sharjah if paid between 07 Apr and 06 Aug 2013.
- ✓ 29 Dec 2011 - Sharjah (and Ajman) announced discounts of 50% for outstanding traffic fines. In Sharjah for violations made before 27 Dec 2011, and if payment made between 01 Jan and 30 Apr 2012.
Discounts on traffic fines in Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)
- [Update] Dec 2015: 50% discount on traffic fines issued in UAQ emirate, payment period extended until 02 Jan 2015. Announcement by Lieutenant Colonel Saeed Obaid Bin Aran, UAQ Police Traffic Department Director.
- [Update] Oct 2015: 50% discount on fines issued in UAQ emirate only, during 2015, payment between 18 Oct and 03 Dec 2015.
- ✓ 01 Oct 2013 - Umm Al Quwain (UAQ) traffic police announced a 50% discount on fine payments if made between 01 Oct and 02 Dec 2013. The discount applies to tickets issued before 01 Oct 2013, not after.
- [Check] 2014: 50% discount on fines issued in the emirate of UAQ?
- ✓ 31 Dec 2011 - Umm Al Quwain last day of payment period to get 50% discount on traffic fines issued in UAQ before 27 Nov 2011.
- Parent category: Transport in UAE.
- Child pages: none
- Related pages: Dubai Police, List of traffic fines, RTA fines, UAE traffic fine system.
- www.facebook.com/dubaipolicehq.en/posts/2102058676538323/ - Dubai Police up to 100% discount on traffic fines in Dubai, 06 Feb 2019.
Last update Wednesday 04-Dec-2019.
- [Disabled] Submit URL.