Traffic fines discount in UAE
Traffic fines discount in the UAE
List of traffic fine discount news and announcements for Abu Dhabi, Dubai, RAK, Sharjah, and other emirates in the UAE. Information about discounts on traffic fines and penalties in the UAE.
- Various authorities in the UAE occasionally announce a discount on (usually) outstanding traffic fines. This started after a decree was announced in Jul 2010 permitting the traffic and police departments in the UAE to offer discounts. There is not an exact formula regarding when, where, or to whom, the fines discount applies but usually discounts apply to:
- all UAE residents (both expat and Emirati), unless limited to residents of a specified emirate(s).
- cars registered anywhere in the UAE, unless limited to cars registered in a specific emirate(s).
- fines only issued by the traffic police authority making the announcement, e.g. in Dubai by the Dubai Police.
- We are not aware of any discounts with restrictions based on nationality (so far).
List of traffic fines discounts in the UAE
- Generally, discount amounts and payment periods apply to penalties depending on the emirate in which they were issued, not the emirate the driver or car comes from, however, some discounts are also restricted to residents or vehicles registered in the emirate which offers the discount (e.g. February 2019 announcement by Dubai Police).
- Fees or fines paid in lieu of car impound periods are usually included in discount offers, at least in Dubai. But don't always count on it.
|2019 Feb 06||25%-100%||Dubai||DXB registration||Dubai Police||See notes||Parking, Salik excluded|
|[Fake] 2018 Dec||50%||Sharjah||Oct 2017 news repeated|
|2017 Nov||50%||Fujairah||any?||police in FUJ||20-11-2017||25-11-2017 to 04-01-2018|
|2015 Dec||50%||UAQ||03-12-2015 to 02-01-2016||Oct 2015 news extended|
|2015 Oct||50%||UAQ||any UAE||UAQ only||in 2015?||18-10-2015 to 03-12-2015|
|2013 Jun 13||none||Dubai||Dubai Police||in 2013|
|2013 Apr 02||50%||Sharjah||Sharjah||07-04-2013 to 06-08-2013|
|2013 Oct 01||50%||UAQ||01-10-2013||01-10-2013 to 02-12-2013|
|2012 Jan 10||40% (30%)||Dubai||extended to 2012-01-10||RTA, Salik excluded|
|2012 Jan 10||50%?||AUH||Not confirmed|
|2011||50%||UAQ||UAQ||27-11-2011||up to 31 Dec 2011|
|2011 Dec 29||50%||Ajman||end 2011||01-01-2012 to 28-02-2012|
|2011 Dec 29||50%||Sharjah||27-12-2011||01-01-2012 to 30-04-2012|
|2011 Nov 30||40%-50%||RAK||end(?) 2011||01-01-2012 to 30-04-2012|
|2011 Sep 08||30%||Dubai||Dubai||09-09-2011||11-09-2011 to 11-12-2011|
|2011 Aug 01||Dubai||Dubai Police||Details coming later|
|2011 Jul 29||Dubai||Dubai Police||Details coming later|
|2010 Jul 02||<50%||UAE||varies||varies||varies||varies||Decree 400/2010|
|2010 Jun 27||50%||AUH||any UAE||AUH only||?||?|
Discounts on traffic fines in UAE
- ✓ 02 Jul 2010 - traffic departments in all UAE emirates could allow a discount of up to 50% on traffic fine payments according to ministerial decree No. 400/2010, issued by Lieutenant General Shaikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and UAE Minister of Interior, according to comments reported in the press by Brigadier Gaith Hassan Al Za'abi, Director of Traffic Department, UAE Ministry of Interior.
Discounts on traffic fines in Abu Dhabi (includes Al Ain)
- ✓ 27 Jun 2010 - Abu Dhabi traffic fines, including those issued in Al Ain and Al Gharbiya (Western Region), automatically receive a 50% discount when being paid. This applies to tickets issued in Abu Dhabi no matter where the car is registered or where the driver lives. It does not apply to tickets issued in other emirates for Abu Dhabi registered vehicles. The Abu Dhabi discount applies to all outstanding fines (issued in the emirate of Abu Dhabi).
Discounts on traffic fines in Ajman
- ✓ 29 Dec 2011 - Ajman (and Sharjah) announced discounts of 50% for outstanding traffic fines. In Ajman for fines issued until end of 2011 (exact date not provided), and if payment made between 01 Jan and 28 Feb 2012.
Discounts on traffic fines in Dubai
- RTA and Salik fines are usually (always?) excluded from any traffic fine discounts applied in Dubai. Reference 04 Aug 2011 report in the Khaleej Times (KT), and most other Dubai discounted traffic fine announcements.
100% discount on traffic fines in Dubai, Feb 2019
25% to 100% discount on fines issued before 07 Feb 2019, i.e. up to 06 Feb 2019.
The announcement did not explain if traffic fine payment date could be chosen differently from car registration renewal date. Usually in the UAE, fines accumulated during the previous 12 months are paid when doing annual car registration renewal. It is possible to pay them before that date, but not possible to postpone payment since car registration renewal will not be done until all outstanding fines are paid. The conclusion is that to obtain the maximum 100% discount on any fines issued before 01, 06, or 07 Feb 2019 (depending on which bit of the announcement you read), you must have no traffic offences for 12 months from that date, and register your car on or after 06 Feb 2020, depending on the last day you can make payment and still take advantage of the special discount offer.
- Applies to fines issued before 07 Feb 2019 (and possibly after 07 Feb 2019 - see explanation below), by Dubai Police, for vehicles registered in Dubai, privately registered vehicles only. Excludes parking or Salik fines. Excludes company registered vehicles (e.g. public transport, rental vehicles, delivery vehicles). Excludes any owners who stay more than 3 months out of the UAE from the date of the offence.
- Announcement did not specify if the fine-free period meant no fines issued by Dubai Police, or no fines issued by any traffic related authority in Dubai or UAE.
- The announcement (reference Dubai Police FB page) said "This initiative is effective from February 2019. The driver's compliance with traffic laws and regulations will be computer on 1 February 2019 with a (25%) reduction for every three months. If a driver commits an offence before the end of the period, he/she cannot benefit from the initiative, and the grace period is recounted from the date of the new violation." Most reports referred to a date of 07 Feb 2019, not 01 Feb 2019. The statement seems to say that the 3-12 month period of no offences before calculation of discount starts either from 01 Feb 2019, or the date of most recent offence if it occurs after 01 Feb 2019.
- Some reports said that discount applies only to fines issued before 07 Feb 2019. In which case, discount amount depends on time between 07 Feb 2019 and date of fine payment. During that time you must have no more fines issued.
- Discount also applies to black points awarded, and cost of removing impounded vehicles in lieu of impound time.
- Note that dates given in table are our calculations, and some sources give periods as 06 Feb to 06 May, 06 Feb to 05 May, 07 Feb to 07 May, etc depending on how the information is interpreted.
- For offences accumulated up to 06 Feb 2019 and not yet paid (if already paid, discount does not apply retroactively):
|Discount||During payment (registration) dates||If no offences during*||Notes|
|25%||07 May to 06 Aug 2019||07 Feb to 06 May 2019|
|50%||07 Aug to 06 Nov 2019||07 Feb to 06 Aug 2019|
|75%||07 Nov 2019 to 06 Feb 2020||07 Feb to 06 Nov 2019|
|100%||06 or 07 Feb 2020 until [date not given]?||07 Feb to 06 Feb 2020?|
*Dubai Police announcement was on 06 Feb 2019 (ref FB, UAE newspapers), however, a Dubai Police graphic published on FB said "... and does not commit any violations for a full calendar year starting from 1 February 2019"
- For offences committed after 06 Feb 2019, if the 3-12 month violation-free period required for a 25%-100% discount starts on the day after the date of the last offence, an different table of dates looks like this:
|Discount||During payment (registration) dates||If no offences during*||Notes|
|25%||07 May 2019 to 07 Feb 2020||last offence date +3 months|
|50%||07 Aug 2019 to 07 Feb 2020||last offence date +6 months|
|75%||07 Nov 2019 to 07 Feb 2020||last offence date +9 months|
|100%||06 or 07 Feb 2020 only?||Unlikely*|
*Unlikely unless last offence before 07 Feb 2019, and no further traffic offences made, and fine payment not made until 07 Feb 2020 (or car registration renewal done on that day).
Previous Dubai traffic fine discount news and announcements
- ✓ 13 Jun 2013 - Dubai Police said no traffic fine discounts would apply in 2013 due to the increase in reckless driving causing an increased number of accidents.
- ✓ 10 Jan 2012 - deadline (extended from 11 Dec 2011) for discount on traffic fines issued by Dubai Police (not for RTA or Salik fines). Discount amount increased from 30% to 40%. Might be 50% discount for Abu Dhabi fines (deadline unknown).
- ✓ 11 Sep 2011 (Sun) until 11 Dec 2011 (announced 08 Sep 2011) - 30% discount on traffic fine payments in Dubai for offences made before 09 Sep 2011. Discount also applies to fees paid in lieu of having car confiscated.
- ✓ 04 Aug 2011 - a Khaleej Times report clarified that RTA issued fines would not be discounted (for example parking tickets, Salik fines, late registration fees, public transport fines) - Ahmed Hashim Bahrozyan, CEO of the RTA siad "Traffic fines are fully owned by the Dubai Police and the RTA owns fines like parking, Salik etc, which are not considered traffic fines. As far as I'm aware, fines owned by the RTA are not up for discounts".
- ✓ 01 Aug 2011 - a Gulf News report said that the Dubai Executive Council had approved discounts for traffic fine payments in Dubai. Timing and actual discount would be announced later ... Lieutenant Colonel Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, Acting Director of Dubai Police's Traffic Department, said drivers with hefty fines will benefit from the initiative provided they settle all their fines in one go and meet other conditions to be announced later.
- ✓ 29 Jul 2011 - Gulf News report said that the Chief of Dubai Police, Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim, confirmed on his Twitter page that Dubai would start giving traffic fine discounts, but didn't say when or how much. This follows a new law issued in 2010 allowing traffic departments in each emirate to offer traffic fine discounts.
Discounts on traffic fines in Fujairah
- [Update] 50% discount in Nov 2017 for as part of the Year of Giving and to commemorate the 46th UAE National Day. Directive issued by Sheikh Mohammad Bin Hamad Bin Mohammad Al Sharqi, Crown Prince of Fujairah.
Discounts on traffic fines in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK)
- ✓ 30 Nov 2011 - Ras Al Khaimah announced a 40% discount (later reports said a 50% discount) on traffic fines issued during 2011 (unclear if that includes fines issued in Dec 2011), if payment made between 01 Jan and 30 Apr 2012. Payments made in Dec 2011 will apparently not be discounted.
Discounts on traffic fines in Sharjah
- [Update] 50% discount in Oct 2017 on the 50th anniversary of Sharjah Police.
- ✓ 02 Apr 2013 - Sharjah Police announced 50% discount on traffic fine payment for tickets issued in Sharjah if paid between 07 Apr and 06 Aug 2013.
- ✓ 29 Dec 2011 - Sharjah (and Ajman) announced discounts of 50% for outstanding traffic fines. In Sharjah for violations made before 27 Dec 2011, and if payment made between 01 Jan and 30 Apr 2012.
Discounts on traffic fines in Umm Al Quwain (UAQ)
- [Update] Dec 2015: 50% discount on traffic fines issued in UAQ emirate, payment period extended until 02 Jan 2015. Announcement by Lieutenant Colonel Saeed Obaid Bin Aran, UAQ Police Traffic Department Director.
- [Update] Oct 2015: 50% discount on fines issued in UAQ emirate only, during 2015, payment between 18 Oct and 03 Dec 2015.
- ✓ 01 Oct 2013 - Umm Al Quwain (UAQ) traffic police announced a 50% discount on fine payments if made between 01 Oct and 02 Dec 2013. The discount applies to tickets issued before 01 Oct 2013, not after.
- [Check] 2014: 50% discount on fines issued in the emirate of UAQ?
- ✓ 31 Dec 2011 - Umm Al Quwain last day of payment period to get 50% discount on traffic fines issued in UAQ before 27 Nov 2011.
- Parent category: Transport in UAE.
- Child pages: none
- Related pages: Dubai Police, List of traffic fines, RTA Dubai, UAE traffic fine system.
- www.facebook.com/dubaipolicehq.en/posts/2102058676538323/ - Dubai Police up to 100% discount on traffic fines in Dubai, 06 Feb 2019.