List of traffic fines in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, UAE
List of traffic fines in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah UAE
List of federal UAE traffic fines in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, other UAE emirates. Police traffic fines and violations for driving offences, fine amounts, black points, car and vehicle confiscation and impounding periods, driving licence suspension times. Penalties and laws are federal and apply to all UAE emirates - Abu Dhabi (including Al Ain city), Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Sharjah, Umm Al Quwain (UAQ). However each emirate issues its own fines under the respective local authorities, for example Abu Dhabi Police in Abu Dhabi; Dubai Police or Dubai Municipality or RTA in Dubai; and similarly for other emirates. See also:
List of new Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE federal traffic fines from 01 Jul 2017
- [Abu Dhabi Police] Ministerial Resolution No. 178 for the year 2017 on Rules and Procedures of Traffic Control.
- Different for other emirates? See also resolution No. 177?
- Some significant changes:
- Many fines have increased substantially from 2008 amounts.
- Child safety seats are required for children under 4 years old.
- Seat belt use required for all passengers, including in the rear seat (s).
- [Check] Tinted windows maximum increased from 30% to 50%, penalty fine increased 3x from AED 500 to 1500 but no impound period.
- If a fine amount is decided by the courts then a prison sentence will probably also be part of the punishment, and any driving license suspension is likely to begin after completion of the jail sentence, not from the sentencing date.
- Parking fines issued by the police might be different from parking fines issued by the municipality or traffic authority e.g. blocking traffic fine of AED 500 from Dubai Police vs not buying a parking ticket fine of AED 200 from the Dubai RTA.
- Previous penalty is given in brackets. If () entered then penalty unchanged.
- [Check] 19a, 19b
- [Check for typos or errors] Some odd changes:
- Black point penalties if previously 24 points, reduced to 23 points.
- 40 (30) Exceeding speed limit by less than 20 km/hour fine reduced from AED 500 to 300. Doesn't usually apply since there is a 20kph grace limit above posted limit before fines start to be imposed.
- 49 (26) Allowing children under 10 years old or shorter than 145 cm to sit in the front seat of a vehicle. Black points reduced from 4 to 0?
- Table below incomplete.
New UAE traffic rules and fines from 01 Jul 2017
|1 (1)||a. Driving a vehicle in a way that jeopardizes the driver or others' lives or their safety or security
b. Driving a vehicle in a way that may cause damage to the public and private facilities
|2000 ()||23 (12)||60 days (30)|
|2 (2)||Driving under the influence of Alcohol||Court ()||23 (24)||60 days ()|
|3 (2)||Driving under the influence of drugs or brain affecting substances or any other similar items||Court ()||23 (24)||60 days||licence, 1 year|
|4 (3)||Driving a vehicle without plates||3000 (1000)||23 (24)||90 (60)|
|5||a. Driving a heavy vehicle in a way that jeopardizes his or other people's lives or their safety or security
b. Driving a heavy vehicle in a way that may cause damages to public or private facilities.
|3000||licence, 1 year|
|6||Heavy vehicles that cross the red light||3000||licence, 1 year|
|7||The heavy vehicle driver causing any accident that result in his or any other vehicle overturn||3000||licence, 1 year|
|19a||Driving the vehicle against the traffic direction||600||4||7 days|
|19b||Entering the vehicle into a prohibited area||1000||8||7 days|
|23||Driving with a driving license issued by a foreign country except in permitted cases||400|
|24||Driving a vehicle with a driving license other that the granted one||400||12|
|25||a. Driving a vehicle with expired driving license
b. Driving a vehicle with an expired registration
|28||Driving a vehicle below the minimum speed limit set for the road, if any||400|
|32 (135)||a. Using mobile while driving
b. Being distracted by anything while driving
|800 (200)||4 (4)|
|33 (9)||a. Crossing red light for light vehicles
b. Crossing red light for motorcycles
|1000 (800)||12 (8)||30 (15)|
|34||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by more than 80 km/hour||3000||23||60|
|35 (1)||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by more than 60 km/hour||2000 (1000)||12 (12)||30 (30)|
|36 (14)||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by no more than 60 km/hour||1500 (900)||6 (6)||15 (0)|
|37 (15)||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by no more than 50 km/hour||1000 (800)|
|38 (22)||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by no more than 40 km/hour||700 (700)|
|39 (24)||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by no more than 30 km/hour||600 (600)|
|40 (30)||Exceeding the maximum speed limit by no more than 20 km/hour||300 (500)|
|49 (26)||Allowing children under 10 years old or shorter than 145 cm to sit in the front seat of a vehicle.||400 (400)||0 (4)|
|50 (N?)||Not fixing child seats for children under 4 years old in the vehicle.||400|
|51 (27)||a. Not fastening the seat belt of the driver
b. Not fastening the seat belt for all the passengers2
|400 (400)||4 (4)2|
|67 (76)||Writing phrases or placing stickers on vehicle without permission.||500 (200)|
|68 (32)4||a. Exceeding the permitted percentage of vehicle's tinting4
b. Tinting unpermitted vehicle4
|1500 (500)||0 (30 days)|
|70 (44)||Non-compliance of vehicles drivers with the traffic signs and directions||500 (500)|
|74||Rubber neck (crowding) at the scenes of traffic accidents||1000|
|82 (98)||Driving with expired tyres||500 (200)||4 (0)||7 days|
|104 (105)||a. Driving at night without lights
b. Driving in foggy weather without lights3
c. Driving in foggy weather in violation of the competent authority's instructions3
|500 (200)||4 (4)|
|106a (140)||Not carrying the vehicle registration card||400 (100)|
|106b (139)||Not carrying the driving license|
- Vehicle impounded 7 days if registration expired more than 3 months.
- Not clear who gets black points if an unbelted passenger does not have a licence. Might be black point penalty only for driver, but then unknown if 4 points per person or per vehicle. New law applies to rear seat occupants, not just front. Previous law specified "while driving" but was generally considered to refer to both driver and front seat passenger.
- Abu Dhabi Police have said drivers who use hazard lights while driving in fog will be fined AED 500 and 4 black points.
- Original text said "tenting", assumed to be a typo for "tinting". Percentages not given but some reports said maximum allowed increased from 30% to 50% but no tint for front windscreen (windshield), and no tinted windows permitted for trucks and taxis.
[Edit, archive, delete] UAE traffic fines before new law 01 Jul 2017
See information below table for updates to UAE Traffic Law and UAE Federal Traffic Council (FTC) information.
- 01 Mar 2008 - new Unified Federal Traffic Law (Black Points Law) for the UAE takes effect with list of offences and punishments given in table below. New black point system also takes effect.
- Prison sentences listed are maximum jail time. Not in original list of penalties. One month normally means 30 days, not 28 or 31 days.
- Maximum black points limit is 24 within a one year period. If a traffic violation is made after reaching the black point limit, your driving licence is confiscated for the following periods of time:
- 3 months confiscation after the first traffic violation when black point limit has been reached.
- 6 months confiscation after the second traffic violation.
- 12 months confiscation after the third traffic violation, and the driver must pass a driving course at a driving school under the authority of the emirate where the third violation was committed.
- Speeding fines result in black points if doing more than 60km/hr above the speed limit (12 points) or more than 50km/hr above the limit (6 points). No black points if doing between 0-50km/hr above the speed limit.
- Speeding fines increased from a flat rate of AED 200 per ticket to between AED 400 (less than 10km/hr over the limit) and AED 1,000 (more than 60kph over the limit - vehicle is also impounded for 30 days).
UAE Unified Federal Traffic Law effective from 01 Mar 2008
|1||Driving dangerously (racing)||2000||12||30 days|
|2||Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or similar substances||Court||24||60 days|
|3||Driving a vehicle without number plates||1000||24||60 days|
|4||Causing death of others||Court||12||30 days|
|5||Not stopping after causing an accident that resulted in injuries||Court||24||60 days|
|6||Reckless driving||2000||12||30 days|
|7||Exceeding maximum speed limit by more than 60km/h||1000||12||30 days|
|8||Driving in a way that is dangerous to the public||1000||12||30 days|
|9||Jumping a red light||800||8||15 days|
|10||Running away from a traffic policeman||800||12||30 days|
|11||Dangerous overtaking by trucks||800||24||60 days|
|12||Causing a car to overturn||Court||8|
|13||Causing serious injuries||Court||8|
|14||Exceeding maximum speed limit by not more than 60km/h||900||6|
|15||Exceeding maximum speed limit by not more than 50km/h||800|
|16||Overtaking on the hard shoulder||600||6|
|*16||Overtaking on the hard shoulder [revised penalty 17 May 2014]||600||10||1 month|
|See also Dubai traffic fines enquiry|
|17||Entering road dangerously||600||6|
|18||Causing moderate injury||Court||6|
|19||Heavy vehicle lane discipline||600||6|
|20||Overtaking from a prohibited place||600||6|
|21||Causing serious damage to a vehicle||Court||6|
|22||Exceeding maximum speed limit by not more than 40km/h||700|
|23||Parking in fire hydrant places, spaces allocated for people with special needs and ambulance parking||1000||4|
|24||Exceeding maximum speed limit by not more than 30km/h||600|
|25||Driving against traffic||400||4|
|26||Allowing children under 10 years old to sit in the front seat of a vehicle||400||4|
|27||Failure to fasten seat belt while driving||400||4|
|28||Failure to leave a safe distance||400||4|
|29||Failure to follow the directions of a traffic policeman|
|30||Exceeding maximum speed limit by not more than 20km/h||500|
|31||Entering a road without ensuring that it is clear||400||4|
|32||Exceeding permitted level of car window tinting||500||30 days|
|33||Not giving way to emergency, police and public service vehicles or official convoys||500||4|
|34||Driving a heavy vehicle that does not comply with safety and security conditions||500||30 days|
|35||Failure to stop after causing an accident||500|
|36||Driving a noisy vehicle||500||30 days|
|37||Allowing others to drive a vehicle for which they are unlicensed||500|
|38||Loading a heavy vehicle in a way that may pose danger to others or to the road||500||6||7 days|
|39||Overload or protruding load from a heavy vehicle without permission||500||6||7 days|
|40||Driving a vehicle that causes pollution||500|
|41||Stopping on the road for no reason||500||4|
|42||Stopping on a yellow box (marked on intersections)||500|
|43||Not giving way to pedestrians on pedestrian crossings||500||6|
|44||Failure to abide by traffic signs and directions||500|
|45||Throwing waste from vehicles onto roads||500||4|
|46||Refusing to give traffic police name and address when required||500|
|47||Stopping vehicle on the left side of the road in prohibited places||500|
|48||Stopping vehicle on pedestrian crossing||500|
|49||Teaching driving in a training vehicle that does not bear a learning sign||500|
|50||Teaching driving in a non-training vehicle without permission from licensing authority||500|
|51||Placing marks on the road that may damage the road or block traffic||500|
|52||Operating industrial, construction and mechanical vehicles and tractors without permission from licensing authority||500||7 days|
|53||Modifying vehicle's engine without permission||400|
|54||Modifying vehicle's chassis without permission||400|
|55||Changing vehicle's color without permission||400|
|56||Exceeding maximum speed limit by not more than 10km/h||400|
|57||Driving with a driving license issued by a foreign country except in permitted cases||400|
|58||Violating the terms of the driving license||300|
|59||Parking behind vehicles and blocking their movement||300|
|60||Towing a vehicle or a boat with an unprepared vehicle||300|
|61||Driving a vehicle that omits gases or fumes with substances exceeding permitted rates||300|
|62||Leaving a vehicle on the road with its engine running (unattended)||300|
|63||No lights on the back or sides of trailer container||200|
|64||Lights on the back or sides of container not working||200|
|65||Taxis, which have designated pickup areas, stopping in undesignated places||200||4|
|68||Vehicle unfit for driving||200||7 days|
|69||Driving a light vehicle that does not comply with safety and security conditions||200||7 days|
|70||Not lifting exhaust of trucks||200||7 days|
|71||Not covering loads of trucks||3000||7 days|
|72||Using vehicle for purposes other than designated||200||4||7 days|
|73||Heavy vehicle prohibited entry||200||4||7 days|
|74||Violating loading or unloading regulations in parking||200||4||7 days|
|75||Carrying and transporting passengers illegally||200||4||7 days|
|76||Writing phrases or placing stickers on vehicle without permission||200|
|77||Not taking road safety measures during vehicle breakdowns||200|
|78||Turning at undesignated points||200||4|
|79||Turning the wrong way||200||4|
|80||Loading a light vehicle in a way that may pose a danger to others or to the road||200||3||7 days|
|81||Overload or protruding load on light vehicles without permission||200||3||7 days|
|82||Stopping vehicle without keeping the distance specified by the law from a curve or junction||200|
|83||Transporting passengers by vehicle undesignated for this purpose||200||4|
|85||Driving a taxi without required license||200||4|
|86||Carrying passengers in driving training vehicle||200||4|
|87||Driving a taxi with an expired warranty||200|
|89||Taxi refusing to carry passengers||200||4|
|90||Falling or leaking load||3000||12||30 days|
|91||Not securing vehicle while parked||200|
|92||Parking in prohibited places||200||2|
|93||Parking in loading and offloading areas without need||200|
|94||Parking on road shoulder except in cases of emergency||200|
|95||Using multi-colored lights||200|
|96||Not wearing helmet while driving motorbike||200||4|
|97||Exceeding passenger limit||200||3|
|98||Driving with tires in poor condition||200||7 days|
|99||Driving with an expired driving license||200||3|
|100||Not renewing vehicle registration after expiry||400|
|101||Driving unlicensed vehicle||200||7 days|
|102||Violation of laws of using commercial number plates||200|
|103||Not fixing number plates in designated places||200||2|
|104||Driving with one number plate||200||2|
|105||Driving at night or in foggy weather without lights||200||4|
|106||Using not matching number plates for trailer and container||200|
|107||Not fixing reflective stickers at the back of trucks and heavy vehicles||200|
|108||Not using indicators when changing direction or turning||200||3|
|109||Not giving way for vehicles to pass on the left||200|
|110||Not giving way to vehicles coming from the left where required||200|
|111||Stopping a vehicle in a way that may pose danger or block traffic||200||3|
|112||Failure to have vehicle examined after carrying out major modification to engine or body||200||7 days|
|113||Using training vehicles outside of timings specified by licensing authority||200|
|114||Using training vehicles in places not designated by licensing authority||200|
|115||Overtaking from the right||200||4|
|116||Overtaking in a wrong way||200||3|
|117||Driving an unlicensed vehicle||200||7 days|
|118||Abuse of parking space||200||3|
|119||Number plates with unclear numbers||200||3|
|121||Light vehicle lane discipline||200||2|
|122||Parking vehicles on pavement||200||3|
|123||Not showing vehicle registration card when required||200|
|124||Not showing driving license when required||200|
|125||Not fixing taxi sign where required||200|
|126||Not fixing a sign indicating licensed overload||200||3|
|127||Using interior lights for no reason while driving||100|
|128||Failure to abide by specified color for taxis or training cars||200|
|129||Failure to display tariff of buses or taxis or not showing them when required||200|
|131||Using horn in prohibited areas||200||2|
|132||Driving below minimum speed limit||200|
|133||Failure to keep taxis and buses clean inside and outside||200|
|134||Smoking inside taxis and buses||200|
|135||Using hand-held mobile phone while driving||200||4|
|136||Not abiding by taxi drivers obligatory uniform or not keeping it in good condition||100|
|137||Calling on passengers in the presence of signs||100|
|138||Not displaying truck's load on both sides||100|
|139||Not carrying driving license while driving||100|
|140||Not carrying vehicle registration card while driving||100|
|141||Driving without spectacles or contact lenses||100|
|142||Not using interior light in buses at night||100|
|143||Broken indicator lights||100||2|
|144||Using horn in a disturbing way||100||2|
|145||Having no red light at the back of vehicle||100|
|146||Opening left door of taxi||100||3|
|147||Pedestrians crossing from undesignated places (if any existed) (jaywalking)||200|
|*||Obscene hand gestures ("flicking the bird", "two-finger salute", etc)||1 month|
|*||Private vehicles using dedicated bus and taxi lanes in Dubai (RTA fine)||600|
|*||Not transporting bicycles safely on car (Abu Dhabi, 30 Dec 2015)||200||7 days|
Table of violations and fines, Article 191 of UAE Federal Bylaw 21, 1995
|1||Non-complying with Traffic Officer’s instructions 200||200|
|2||Non-complying with Traffic signs and instructions||100|
|3||Running away from Traffic Officer||200|
|4||Non-Stop when causing an accident or harm to others||100|
|5||Abstention to give name and address to Traffic Officer||200|
|6||Hindering traffic movement||100|
|7||Putting signs on the road damaging or hindering traffic movement||100|
|8||Stopping the vehicle along sidewalk or without observing the distance duly defined||100|
|9||Stopping the vehicle in a manner causing danger or hindering sidewalk||100|
|10||Non-taking necessary procedures for safety of traffic when vehicle broken||100|
|11||Attempting entering a road without being sure of being empty causing sidewalk hindering||200|
|12||Excess Speed (detected by Radar)||200|
|13||Driving below minimum speed limit for roads.||100|
|14||Driving recklessly or in a manner endangering public||200|
|15||Passing red light||500|
|16||Turning with vehicle from a place not specified for such or wrong turning||100|
|17||Driving contrary to the line||200|
|18||Getting into a prohibited place||200|
|19||Turning back in a dangerous way||100|
|20||Non-preference of emergency, police, public service and seasonal parades||200|
|not completed ...|
*Not in original list of traffic offences.
UAE traffic law amendments and proposals
Note that approval by the UAE Federal Traffic Council does not mean a new law is in effect. The amendments still have to go to the UAE Federal Cabinet and/or the UAE Ministry of Interior before becoming law. Time frame for proposed changes could be months, years, or never.
- 28 Dec 2014 - Dubai RTA announced automatic AED 600 penalty for private vehicles using dedicated bus lanes from 01 Jan 2014 to 31 Mar 2014. First phase would place cameras on Naif Rd. Dubai Police patrols would also hand out fines. Announcement didn't say what would happen after the end of the period. Vehicles permitted to use the dedicated bus lanes are public buses, taxis, Dubai Police, Civil Defence, and ambulances on emergency calls. Private vehicles can use dedicated lanes to enter or exit adjoining roads.
- 17 May 2014 - Abu Dhabi Traffic Police announced a revised punishment for overtaking on the hard shoulder, reportedly applicable to all UAE emirates, of 600 dhs fine (unchanged), 10 black points (increase from 6 points), and a prison sentence of up to one month for offenders. Date new punshments take effect not provided.
- 19 Apr 2014 - Major General Mohammed Saif Al Zafeen said the council had proposed increased penalties for:
- Drivers speeding more than 60kph over the speed limit, vehicles confiscated for 2 months instead of 1 month, fine increased from AED 1,000 to AED 2,000, and 12 black points (unchanged).
- Smoking inside a private vehicle punishable by AED 200 fine and 4 black points.
- Heavy vehicle (over 3 tonnes) drivers going through a red light penalty of AED 5,000 fine and 23 black points (increased from 12 points).
- 13 Apr 2014 (Emarat Al Youm) - Major General Mohammed Saif Al Zafeen said proposals under consideration included:
- Women adding make-up while driving their cars
- Men getting dressed or putting on their gutra while driving
- Eating, drinking, or reading while driving
- Speaking or texting by mobile phones while driving
- Wearing sunglasses at night while driving
- *Law enforcement officials not permitted to issue seat belt fines in the absence of drivers. What? We didn't get it.
- 16 Feb 2014 - UAE Traffic Council approved proposal to lower minimum driving age from 18 to 17 years old.
- 04 Feb 2014 - Salah Bu Farousha Al Falasi, head of the Dubai Traffic Prosecution department, was reported to have said at a media conference that a proposal had been sent to the UAE Ministry of Interior to "amend amend the Traffic Law by introducing new and specific articles pertaining to fatal accidents caused by jumping a red signal" (Gulf News and other reports). Specifically:
- Jail for 3-7 years and AED 30,000 fine if 3 or more people killed after going through a red light.
- Jail for minimum 1 year and AED 20,000 fine if 1 or 2 people killed.
- 09 Nov 2013 - new federal UAE Traffic Council to be formed to consider traffic related issues in the UAE including amendments to UAE Traffic Law. New proposals to be presented to the UAE Cabinet. Council chairman will be Major-General Mohammed Saif Al Zafeen (Al Zafin), he is:
- Director General of the Dubai Police Traffic Department
- Assistant Police Commander for Operations in Dubai
- now also Head of the UAE Federal Traffic Council
White points system in the UAE
- 19 Nov 2013 (Gulf Today - 'Dubai Police increase awards for white points'): A driver is awarded one white point per month if no traffic offences committed during that month, up to a maximum of 12 white points. Drivers receive awards and prizes when 12 white points are collected - but only for Dubai registered drivers?
- Parent category - Dubai Police, RTA.
- Child pages - none.
- Related pages - Dubai Police traffic fines, driving in Dubai.
- www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/jsps/content/flat-content.do?contentCode=84787 (last update 09 Dec 2013)