Dubai Sports City (DSC)
Dubai Sports City (DSC) is a development in Dubailand with a focus on international sports and related facilities, including accommodation and commercial buildings. DSC facilities would be used in the event Dubai bids for the 2020 Olympics and succeeds.
Dubai Sports City stadiums
- Cricket Stadium - 25,000 spectator capacity
- Hockey Stadium - 5,000 seats
- Multipurpose Indoor Stadium with capacity for 10,000 spectators
- Multipurpose Outdoor Stadium with 60,000 seats
Dubai Sports City sports related facilities
- Hi-Performance Center - training facility for athletes and
- Sports Medicine Clinic adn hospital
- Swimming Pool
List of sports academies, clubs, and other institutions in Dubai Sports City
- Butch Harmon School of Golf (see golf clubs in Dubai). First one outside the USA.
- David Lloyd Tennis Academy
- Dubai Sports City Swimming Academy
- FIH Global Hockey Academy
- ICC Global Cricket Academy
- Manchester United Soccer Schools - founded 2005. Closed July 2010?
- Next Generation Clubs - racquet, health and fitness clubs. Facilities will include health spa, gym, squash courts, swimming pool, tennis courts, yoga studios.
- Rugby Academy
- The Els Club
- World Hockey Academy
ICC Global Cricket Academy
- The ICC Global Cricket Academy (ICC GCA) was first announced in 2004, and officially opened 12 October 2010.
- The academy is an indoor and outdoor training facility with indoor fielding area and 7 different indoor pitches covered by ball-tracking technology cameras for delivery analysis.
- Facilities include classrooms, meeting rooms, technology suite, gymnasium, 38 floodlit outdoor practice pitches, 28 turf tracks.
- Facilities will be used by teams for 2011 World Cup preparation.
- The academy will host the Intercontinental Cup final between Afghanistan and Ireland in December 2010 and the World Cricket League Division Two in April 2011.
- Coaches recruited by the academy include former Australia wicketkeeper Rod Marsh, former Pakistan allrounder Mudassar Nazar, and former New Zealand fast bowler Dayle Hadlee.
Schools in Dubai Sports City
- Bradenton Preparatory Academy - a sports certified school teaching according to the American Baccalaureate Curriculum (or International Baccalaureate?). Main campus based in Florida. Open September 2009.
- English curriculum secondary school (planned)
- Indian curriculum school (planned)
- International nurseries and primary schools (planned)
Residential areas in Dubai Sports City
- 100 residential towers planned for the entire development?
- Canal Residence West - 1-3 bedroom apartments
- Gallery Villas - villas
- Victory Heights - villas in
Spanish Andalusian, Mediterranean, and European styles, with views of The Els Club Golf Course. Total of 961 units with 794 in Phase I, and 600 handed over as of 18 August 2010.
Commercial Real Estate
- North Point
- South Point
- The Gateway
Shopping malls and retail developments
- Arena Mall - 1.2 or 1.9 million sq feet. Scheduled opening 2010 but delayed to 2013 at least. See shopping malls in Dubai.
- Canal Promenade at Canal Residence West
- Community Centers
- North Point
- South Point
Dubai Sports City news
Dubai Sports City update 12 January 2008 (Emirates Business 24-7)
- CEO of Dubai Sports City is U Balasubramaniam.
- Project value AED 13.6 billion (US$3.7bn), launched March 2004, planned completion in 2010, area 50 million square feet.
The Dunes golf course launch 28 January 2008
- The Dunes, an 18-hole
golf course, launched by Ernie Els, the designer. Announced March 2004, scheduled opening end of 2007 but delayed due to Mr Els not available sooner. Development cost AED 55-60 million.
Cricket stadium superstructure
almost complete. Development cost AED 300m. First international
event scheduled for October 2008.
- Field Hockey Stadium possible opening in November 2008.
- Manchester United Soccer School expected to move to new facilities in Q3 2008.
- ICC Global Cricket Academy expected to launch in late 2008.
- David Lloyd Tennis Academy due to open Q1 2009.
- Butch Harmon School of Golf opening date expected in Q2 2009.
- Victory Heights villa golf course community
- Phase I of 580 villas sold out 4 months when launched in March 2005. Price at launch AED 2.5-11.5 million each. About 300 villas ready for handover, remainder ready by end of 2008.
- Phase II of 350 villas - sales to start shortly. Waiting list with 600 names.
Dubai Sports City construction contracts
- Main construction contracts awarded 24 January 2007 (press release) to Transemirates Contracting and Eastern International for the DSC Academies area which includes Manchester United Soccer Schools, and ICC Global Cricket Academy.
- DSC Academies area located in the south-east corner of DSC, will also include the Field Hockey stadium, WorldHockey Academy, a rugby training facility, a 2,500-square-metre gymnasium, an Olympic length swimming pool, Bradenton Preparatory Academy, and 2 hostels with accommodation for up to 524 people.
- Main contractor for Bradenton Preparatory Academy is Eastern International.
Dubai Sports City Fact File (Emirates Today 27 September 2007)
- Dubai Sports City (DSC) touted as the cornerstone project of Dubailand. A 50 million sq feet mixed use metropolis
- DSC to be built around 4 stadiums:
- 60,000-seat multi-purpose outdoor stadium for football, rugby, track and field, other sports and non-sports events
- 10,000-seat multi-purpose indoor arena, with removable ice rink, for all hardcourt
sports, also concerts
- 25,000-seat cricket stadium
- 10,000-seat field hockey stadium
- Sports academy facilities include:
- Manchester United Soccer School
- David Lloyd Tennis Academy
- Butch Harmon School of Golf, the first such facility outside the US
- 18-hole Ernie Els signature course called The Dunes
- The International Cricket Council's own ICC global cricket academy
- Multi-sport training facilities including gymnasium and a 50-metre swimming pool
- Sports rehabilitation centre
Dubai Sports City contact details
- Dubai Sports City office - 1st floor, Convention Tower, Zabeel Road
- Tel +971-4-3293300, fax +971-4-3293388, email email@example.com.
- DSC location in the north-west corner of Dubailand, bordering Emirates Road.
Last update Wednesday 13-Oct-2010. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.