Zayed Sports City Abu Dhabi
Zayed Sports City (Madinat Zayed Sports City) is a mixed use sports complex with a large stadium and athletics track as the centerpiece. The sports complex and stadium were named after Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founder and first president of the UAE. Location of the ZSC is in Arzanah, a new area of Abu Dhabi under development by Capitala.
- Capitala is an Abu Dhabi based master property developer, established in 2008 as a joint venture between Mubadala, an investment company in Abu Dhabi, and CapitaLand, a real estate company based in Singapore.
- The first Capitala project is Arzanah, a residential, commercial, sports and leisure area incorporating Zayed Sports City, near the Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque.
- Total area of Arzanah is about 1.4 million sq meters, and development cost about AED 22 billion ($6 billion)
Zayed Sports City Stadium (Sheikh Zayed Stadium)
- Also called Sheikh Zayed Stadium, but not the same as the Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium or the Mohammed Bin Zayed Stadium.
- Capacity of 45,000-50,000 people (Abu Dhabi FIFA Club World Cup website says "Currently the spectator capacity of the venue amounts to 43,765 seats, which will be increased to a total of 50,109 seats after the expansion and reorganisation meaures planned in preparation for the FIFA Club World Cups in 2009 and 2010.")
- Stadium opening date 1979/1980
- Includes a running track around the sports field
- Construction cost reportedly AED 80 million ($22 million)
- Football pitch is open from 0700-1200 (or maybe 2400), pitch hire available for AED 400 per hour. Tel +971-2-4034205 for bookings.
UAE Football Association
- The UAE Football Association (UAEFA) has its headquarters at SZ City, and the UAE national football team often plays matches at the Sheihkh Zayed Stadium.
Zayed Sports City bowling
- Khalifa Bowling Centre / Khalifa International Bowling Center at the ZSC with 40 bowling lanes.
- Opening hours 0900-0100 (9am-1am)
- Tel +971-2-4034648 or +971-2-4034649
- Bowling fees AED 10 per game (includes shoe hire)?
- Seating gallery with seats for up to 1,000 spectators.
- Other facilities included fast food (maybe a restaurant in the future), bowling gear shop, and several billiard/snooker tables.
- Learn-To-Bowl Courses, 8-12 week programs for beginners, intermediates, and advanced bowlers. Fees from AED 400 per course.
Zayed Sports City ice rink
- Abu Dhabi Ice Rink is an Olympic-sized ice skating rink
- Area of 1,800 sq meters with a 400 skater capacity
- Grandstand seating capacity 1,200 spectators
- Charges are AED 25 per hour
- Tel +971-2-4448458
- Learn-To-Ice-Skate Courses for beginner, intermediate and advanced skaters. Fees from AED 15 per 15 minute session.
Zayed Sports City tennnis
- Abu Dhabi International Tennis Complex opened in 2004 and hosts the Capitala World Tennis Championships (first event in 2009, will be held again in 2010).
- Center Court is suitable for ATP events, has seating for 5000 spectators including 250 VIP seats, and 6 other tennis courts with seating for 1000 people.
- Court fees per hour from Sunday to Thursday are AED 40 from 0700-1500 and AED 70 from 1600-2200, and on Friday and Saturday AED 70/hr from 0700-1500, and AED 100/hr from 1600-2200. Tel +971-2-449 2160 for bookings.
- Annual membership costs AED 1200 for Silver Class single, up to AED 3000 for Gold Class families. Short term memberships also available from AED 150 for one month for singles.
- Learn-To-Play Tennis Courses, 8-12 week programs for beginners, intermediates, and advanced players. Fees are from AED 700 per course. Individual lessons from AED 150 per hour.
- Postal address PO Box 26114, Zayed Sports City, Airport Road, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Telephone +971-2-4492160, fax +971-2--4492915, email email@example.com
Zayed Sports City softball
- Softball pitch under construction? Scheduled for completion June 2009? Actual completion date? (Capitala & Abu Dhabi Tourism information).
Learn-To-Play Bowling, Ice Skating, Tennis
- Beginners courses available in bowling, ice skating, tennis. See individual sport headings for details.
FIFA Club World Cup 2009
FIFA Club World Cup 2010
ZSC contact details
- Tel +971-2-4448000 or +971-2-4034200, fax +971-2-4448648 or +971-2-4492466
- PO Box 862, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (email@example.com should also be valid), or maybe firstname.lastname@example.org is more up to date.
Zayed Sports City location map and directions
- Zayed Sports City is located on the Airport Road. See location map (opens in new window), rotated for easier printing.
ZSC expansion and future development
- Aquatic Center - planned or under consideration?
- Indoor Sports Arena - planned or under consideration?
Last update Monday 16-Aug-2010. Page development 4L 5C.
Related websites (new window)
- www.abudhabi2009.org - Abu Dhabi FIFA Club World Cup website
- www.capitala.ae - Capitala website - has information about ZSC and activities
- www.capitalawtc.com - Capitala World Tennis Championship website
- www.zsc.gov.ae - Zayed Sports City website (under construction, last checked February 2010, looks like it's been that way since 2006)
- www.zayedsportscity.net might be a ZSC website eventually (but whois information has telephone number +971-2-4034466 which appears to be unrelated to ZSC), www.zayedsportscity.com is spam, www.zayedsportscity.ae has an EIM domain parking page, www.zayedsportscity.org and www.zayedsportscity.info return errors (last checked February 2010)
- Dubai directory - add your link free