Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.
List of Dubai islands
Although there are a number of natural desert islands belonging to the UAE, there are none off the coast of the emirate of Dubai, so Dubai is building some artificial islands. A list of Dubai islands constructed, under construction, under consideration (as real projects or fantasy islands) includes:
- Apeirion Hotel - the Apeiron Hotel is planned for an offshore location near Dubai. Presumably it will have a manmade island supporting it ... if it ever gets built.
- Burj Al Arab island - the Burj Al Arab hotel was built on a man-made island just big enough for the hotel and a beach, and connected to the Dubai coast with a short causeway. Urban legend in Dubai was that the hotel was built offshore so that it could include a casino and other gambling facilities which are normally banned in the UAE, but as with most rumours of a similar nature it is very difficult to determine whether or not there really is any substance behind the story, or it's just gossip-starved expats wanting to stir up a bit of excitement at the local pub or coffee shop. There is in fact, no casino of any sort in the Burj Al Arab, and unlikely to be one in the foreseeable future.
- Daria Island - off Jumeirah coast near Jumeirah Beach Park.
- Deira Islands - Nakheel development on what was the Deira Palm Island - consists of 4 islands close to the Deira coast. Under development during 2013-2014.
- Area 15.3 sq km, adding 40 km of coastline to Dubai with 21 km of beaches.
- Shopping mall and waterfront night souk or market.
- Amphitheater capacity 30,000 people.
- Deira Palm Island - the third, and largest, of the 3 palm islands, off the Deira corniche. Development abandoned or suspended, became the Deira Islands project.
- Dubai Waterfront - collection of islands planned to partially surround the Jebel Ali Palm.
- Heritage Island - open 18 February 2012 as a kind of interactive museum and exhibition of the history and culture of Dubai and UAE. Island has a traditional village for visitors to explore, with pearl diving, fishing, and other traditional activities. One report said entry fee was AED 250. Located in the Jebel Ali Palm Island and Dubai Waterfront area - both are Nakheel developments. Area 1,000,000 sq ft, developer is Emirates Marine Environmental Group (EMEG). Apart from a press release from Nakheel, no further information supplied, or found on the Nakheel website.
- Jebel Ali Palm Island - the second of three islands in the shape of a palm tree under construction off the Dubai coast near Jebel Ali.
- Jumeirah Palm Island - the first of the three palm tree shaped islands, off the coast of Dubai near Al Sufouh rather than Jumeirah.
- The Universe Dubai - several islands in the shape of the planets of the solar system, planned between The World Islands and the Jumeirah coast, no road access.
- The World by Nakheel - an archipelago of 250-300 islands constructed in the shape of a map of the world, about 5 km off the Jumeirah coast, no road access (one report in 2013 said road access was planned but that was denied by Nahkeel).
Last update Sunday 18-Jan-2015. Page development 4L.
- Abu Dhabi islands
- Dubai Palm Islands - a collection of three islands, each in the shape of a palm tree, developed by Nakheel Properties.
- Dubai suburbs - where to live in Dubai.
- UAE islands
- Where is Dubai?
- www.emeg.ae - Emirates Marine Environmental Group (EMEG) website
- [Disabled] Submit URL.