List of Abu Dhabi islands
The emirate of Abu Dhabi is the largest in the UAE, by far, and with a proportionally much longer coast line, has a larger number of offshore desert islands. Several of the larger islands close to the city of Abu Dhabi are being developed as leisure, business, and residential areas.
Abu Dhabi city itself is on an island, connected to the Abu Dhabi mainland by the Maqta and Mussafah bridges. Abu Dhabi International Airport is on the mainland.
- Abu Dhabi Breakwater - not really an island since it's connected to the Abu Dhabi Corniche. Is the location of the Marina Mall in Abu Dhabi, and new Abu Dhabi Marina development.
- Abu Al Abyadh Island
- Al Fiyay Island
- Al Futaisi Island - see Fitesi Island below
- Al Habel Al Abyad / Habl Al Abyadh Island - see Yas Island
- Al Haderiyat Island - see Hodariyat Island
- Al Maryah Island (Al Mariah Island) - previously known as Sowwah Island (name changed April 2012)
- Al Qaffay Island?
- Al Qurayyah Island / Qurrayah / Qurayah / Qurayya Island - opposite Al Raha Beach
- Al Saadas Island - small island offshore near Muroor suburb of Abu Dhabi
- Al Weheil Island
- Ar Aafiq
- As Sammaliyah Island
- Arzanah Island
- Balrmmd / Balmmrd / Balmrd / Bel Rmmd Island?
- Belghailam Island
- Bisrat Fahad Island
- Bu Kesheisha / Kesheishah
- Bu Qurmah
- Bu Tinah Shoals - magnificent diving spot but access is difficult, nominated as one of the modern 7 day natural wonders of the world in 2009.
- Coconut Island - just off the Abu City coast in Al Bateen area.
- Dalma Island / Delma Island - off the coast at Jebel Dhanna. Has a small museum - Delma Museum (Al Muraykhi House) open 0800-1600 Sat-Thu, free entry.
- Deqalah Island
- Fahid Island
- Fitesi / Fitaisi / Fiteisi / Futaisi Island - Fitaisi Island Resort and Country Club? An Emirates Business news report 21 July 2011 said the owner of the island,
Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan
(a UAE billionaire who also owns some exotic and expensive cars, and the auto museum in Abu Dhabi with the Globe car and oversized Dodge truck), had carved his name "Hamad" in capital letters in the sand - with a width of 3 km and each letter ½ km high (that must have been a big stick he dragged through the sand) - so that it was visible from outer space (or on Google Maps at least).
- Ghagah Island (no you probably won't find Lady Gaga there), close to the proposed route of the Abu Dhabi - Qatar causeway and bridge which launches off Ras Khumais, if it does get built.
- Ghash shah / Gashah / Gashshah Island
- Ghurab Island
- Halat Al Bahrani
- Halat Al Marbarraz
- Halat Hayal / Hayl Island
- Hodariyat Island / Hodariat / Haderyat / Hudayriat / Hudariyat Island - see also South Hodariyat Island. Hodariyat Bridge (new in 2012) between main Abu Dhabi island and Hodariyat Island construction started October 2009 completed March 2012 (six months ahead of schedule), is the largest cable-stay suspension bridge in the UAE, length 1.3 km, vertical clearance 29 meters, six traffic lanes, two pedestrian walkways, developer is Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC) (WAM 22 July 2012). Al Bateen Beach project is near the Hodariyat Bridge, a beachside park along 800m of coastline with picnic areas, soccer (football) and volleyball sports courts, children's play area, events area, food and beverage kiosk outlets, completed in January 2012, officially open to the public in March 2012 (WAM 22 July 2012).
- Huwaisat Island?
- Jananah Island
- Jazirat Al Fitesi - see Fitesi Island
- Jazirat Fahid Island
- Khasifa / Khasifah Island
- Lulu Island - just off the coast of Downtown Abu Dhabi
- Massnoua Island
- Merawwah / Merawaah Island
- Muhayyimat Island?
- Rahman Island (Raman?)
- Ramhan Island - yes, a different one from Rahman Island
- Reem Island - under development with The Gate District and Shams Abu Dhabi projects.
- Saadiyat Island / Sadiyat Island - a cultural and leisure island under development, home of the future Abu Dhabi Louvre, Guggenheim, Marine Museum, Abu Dhabi Performing Arts Center. Sadiyat Island is being developed by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA). The name means "Island of Happiness", a definition that the workers on the island apparently didn't agree with according to a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report, published in May 2009. The Sheikh Khalifa Bridge and Saadiyat Expressway from Shahama across Yas Island and Saadiyat Island to Downtown Abu Dhabi opened in October 2009.
- Salahah Island
- Samaliyah / Sammaliya / Samaliya / Samaliah Island - opposite Al Raha Beach
- Sas An Nakhil / Nakheel - between Samalia Island and Um Al Nar district on mainland Abu Dhabi. Note that the Sas An Nakhl villa development is on the mainland, not the island.
- Shuwaihat / Shuwayhat Island
- Sir BaniYas Island (Bani Yas) - a nature reserve some distance away from Abu Dhabi, with a new resort hotel open in 2009 - the Desert Islands Resort. Off the coast at Jebel Dhanna.
- Sir Bu Na'air Island / Naair Island
- South Hodiriat Island
- Sowwah Island / As Suwah / Suwwah Island - being developed as a financial hub. Name changed to Al Maryah Island (Al Mariah Island) in April 2012 (WAM news 18 April 2012).
- Thumairiah / Thumayriyah / Thumariyah Island
- Um / Umm Al Hatab / Hattab Island
- Umm Al Nar - see Sas An Nakhil
- Umm Amim Island
- Umm Gassar Island
- Umm Yifenah Island / Umm Yifena / Yifina / Yifinah
- Yas Island - a leisure island with theme parks and the Yas Marina Circuit, home of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
- Yasat / Yassat Ali Island
- Yasat Safli Island
- Zakum Oilfield - 4 artificial islands planned by Zadco, dredging contract worth AED 2.3 billion (US$639 million) awarded by ADNOC to National Marine Dredging Company (NMDC) in November 2009
- Zirku Island - oil production, no public access.
Last update Thursday 23-Aug-2012. Page development 4L.
Related websites (new window)
- www.adias-uae.com - Abu Dhabi Islands Archaeological Survey (ADIAS) established in 1992 to survey archaeological sites on the Abu Dhabi coast and islands. Website no longer maintained? Last update was 10 October 2006 (last checked 08 November 2009).
- www.reemisland.com - Reem Island website, tedious flash intro without skip intro button. Nothing at www.reemisland.ae but is reserved by Emirates Internet Hosting.
- Dubai directory - add your link free