Ibn Battuta Mall
Ibn Battuta Mall Dubai
Ibn Battuta Mall shopping center in Dubai - information, opening times, list of shops, location
Ibn Battuta Mall (Ibn Batuta Shopping Mall, IBM, IBSM) not as large as Mall of the Emirates (MOE) or The Dubai Mall, but much more fascinating to walk through (if a shopping center can ever be called fascinating). Several themed areas - Andalusia, China, Egypt, India, Persia, Tunisia which reflect the travels of a 14th century Arab explorer named Ibn Battuta. Scattered throughout the mall are displays of documents and other artifacts related to Mr Battuta's travels and history of those regions. All items are reconstructed but look authentic if you squint your eyes a bit.
- Instead of the ubiquitous Carrefour, Ibn Battuta Mall has the first Geant in Dubai, another French superstore selling groceries and cheap underpants. Otherwise, mostly the same shops you'd find anywhere but less crowded.
- The only Lego shop in Dubai is here (closed?), also an IMAX cinema (was the only one until the Meydan IMAX opened).
- Food court at Jebel Ali end (next to Geant hypermarket) has fast junk food. Food court at Dubai end has slow junk food. Both areas have a good selection and there's a couple of posher restaurants in the China Court area.
- Several Starbucks with one in a spectacular atrium in the middle of the mall.
- There are electric golf carts to ferry you from one end of the mall to the other, costs 5 dhs (in 2010).
- Car parking is free and not too congested except for Thursday and Friday nights.
- Developer is Nakheel.
- Ibn Battuta phase II expansion will double the size of IBM with additional themed areas based on Hejaz, Morocco, Turkey, and Yemen. In March 2009, Nakheel announced expansion plans would be delayed 12 months.
New store openings in Ibn Battuta Mall
- New Yorker (fashion clothing) - open 23 May 2012? German store, brands stocked include Amisu, Censored, Fishbone, Fishbone Sister, Smog.
Ibn Battuta Mall list of shops
Ibn Battuta Mall timeline, history, news updates
- 21 March 2012 - news reports said that Nakheel was in talks to open an IKEA furniture store (area 30,000 sq meters maybe) as part of the IBM expansion plans. There is already an IKEA in Dubai, as part of the Dubai Festival City shopping and entertainment area.
Last update Wednesday 05-Feb-2014. Page development 1H 2T 3D 4L 5C.
- www.ibnbattutamall.com - Ibn Battuta Shopping Mall in Dubai website.