Golf and golf courses in the UAE, Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Sharjah
Ras Al Khaimah and Sharjah are possible destinations for a game of golf in the UAE that are a bit cheaper than the more well known courses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. A list of golf courses for Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), Sharjah follows. We can't find any golf courses in Ajman, Umm Al Quwain (UAQ), or Fujairah (although there may be some eventually as part of the new developments there). For Abu Dhabi (includes Al Ain), and Dubai, see the following pages
Golf clubs in the UAE
Ajman golf clubs
- Ajman Golf Course - planned / under development in the Emirates City development off Emirates Road
Fujairah golf courses
No known golf clubs in Fujairah. There are some large projects under development which may include a golf course.
- Al Wuraia Valley / Al Weirahiah Valley - looks like a golf course planned for this project - visible on models and artists renders.
- Fujairah Golf Resort - planned?
- Fujairah Paradise - no mention of a golf course but residents will be provided with golf carts to trolley themselves around the place instead of using their cars.
- Mina Al Fajer Resort - doesn't look like a golf course is part of it.
Ras Al Khaimah golf clubs
- Al Hamra Golf Club and Resorts, tel +971-7-2447474, email email@example.com. Golf Course designed by Peter Harradine, 18 holes, 7,267 yard, par 72 championship course around a lagoon. Also a 9-hole par 3 Academy Course (each hole 60-110 yards), a 350 yard driving range, putting greens, chipping areas, practice bunkers, and pitching areas. Floodlights for night golf on 9 holes of the main course, and the practice areas. Membership AED 3,500 dhs (individual)
- Ras Al Khaimah Golf Course - the original RAK golf club in the foothills of the Hajar Mountains. Facilities included trees for shade, portable tee mats, and cold beer (if you brought your own). A "hole" was not an entirely accurate description of what you were aiming for - "target area" would be more appropriate. Hazards included rocks, camels, goats, and bird-spotters. A true expat experience in the 1990s, but superseded by the Tower Links Golf Club which is what most people now mean if they refer to the RAK golf course. You'll need to find an old time resident expat to show you original course.
- Tower Links Golf Club RAK, tel +971-7-2278553, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Green greens and fairways in Khouzam, and a pleasant place for dinner and/or a drink even if you don't play golf. Occasional unexpected hazards though - a man was shot in the shoulder in June 2008 while playing a round of golf, according to a report in the Gulf News. Unknown whether the gunshot helped or hindered his golf shot.
- Waldorf Astoria Hotel RAK golf course - 18 hole golf course planned as part of the Waldorf Astoria development? Opening date end of 2011 (press release 01 March 2011)? Or maybe they were referring to the Al Hamra Golf Course.
Sharjah golf clubs
Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club (SGSC)
- SGSC contact tel +971-6-5487777, fax +971-6-5487666, email email@example.com, postal address PO Box 12, Sharjah, UAE.
- SGSC founded November 2005 according to website and opened February 2008 according to press release.
- Golf course is fully grassed (except for lakes and bunkers), 9 holes, 3600 yards, par 36, designed by Peter Harradine Golf (established by Don Harradine).
- Facilities include golf and shooting obviously (unknown if bad golfers are used for target practice), also basketball, gym, hair salon, paintball (savannah and jungle options), tennis courts, swimming pool, Sensi restaurant. Floodlit courts for basketball and tennis.
- Golf Academy with putting greens and floodlit driving range. Tel +971-6-5487047.
- General Manager of SGSC is Joseph Estephan, Golf Academy Director is Martin Duff.
- Golf clubs, trolley, cart, golf shoes available for rent. Green fees range from AED 95-165 for 9 holes, or AED 155-275 for 18 holes (February 2009 information, variation depends on size of player, membership status, and which day).
- Golf club annual membership fees AED 3,500 (females), AED 5,000 (males), AED 6,000 (couples), AED 1,000 (children 7-17 years). Add AED 1,000 joining fee (February 2009 information). Cheaper temporary memberships for 3 and 6 months available.
- For something a bit different when you get bored playing golf, there's a branch of
Sharjah Islamic Financial Services at the SGSC (opened September 2007) where you can buy stocks and shares on the Dubai Financial Market.
- SGSC location is on the desert side of Emirates Road. Turn right after the Tasjeel Auto Village heading in Ras Al Khaimah direction, then left and drive on until you see The Paintball Park (see map).
Sharjah Wanderers Golf Club (SWGC)
- SWGC contact tel +971-6-5586239, fax +971-6-5586239, email firstname.lastname@example.org, postal address PO Box
1767, Sharjah, UAE
- Golf club founded in 1979 as part of the Sharjah Wanderers Sports Club
- Golf course is 18 holes, greenish fairways (half of them), brown greens (sand)
- Golf accessories shop onsite.
- Location is off the Sharjah-Dhaid Road (Sharjah Airport Road) between exit 5 and 6 after the Sharjah Airport exit in direction Dhaid (see map).
Umm Al Quwain (UAQ) golf courses
No known golf courses in Umm Al Quwain but some of the projects under development may have a golf course included.
- Al Salam City (off Emirates Road) - a golf course is mentioned as part of the sports facilities
- White Bay - nothing obvious in plans although residents will get golf karts to ferry themselves around instead of using their cars.
Last update Wednesday 06-Aug-2014