Sunday 23 June 2024 (UAE)

Dubai Financial Market

Coronavirus in the UAE: Some information on this website is out of date as a result of measures taken in the UAE to deal with the coronavirus crisis. Confirm with official or authoritative sources.

Dubai Financial Market (DFM) trading floor
Investors at Dubai Financial Market
Dubai Financial Market Trading Screen
DFM logo

Dubai Financial Market (DFM)

The Dubai Financial Market is one of 3 stock exchanges in the UAE, and one of 2 stock exchanges in Dubai. The others are the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX), which was previously known as the Abu Dhabi Securities Market (ADSM) (name changed in May 2008), and the Nasdaq Dubai, which was previously known as the Dubai International Financial Exchange (DIFX) (rebranded November 2008).

DFM history and companies listed

The DFM started operations in March 2000 as a government company and in November 2006 had its own initial public offering (IPO), which was hugely successful, although only 20% was sold, with the Dubai Government retaining the other 80%. There are over 60 companies listed (as of December 2008) on the Dubai Financial Market (DFM) with a handful of new listings being added each year. Most listed companies are UAE based, although a few stocks from other Gulf countries have secondary listings on the DFM (eg Arab Insurance Group from Bahrain, Agility Logistics from Kuwait).

Foreign ownership of UAE stocks and shares
Dubai stock market crash
UAE stock market regulatory authority

Of the 3 stock exchanges in the UAE, the DFM and ADSM list mostly UAE companies, and the regulating authority is the Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority (ESCA). The DIFX (now Nasdaq Dubai) opened in the Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC) in 2005 for trading of international stocks, and they are regulated by the Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA).

Dubai stocks and shares research and investment analysis

For research and analysis in English, information is sparse but improving as the international investing community looks at Middle East stocks in greater depth.

DFM student trading floors at UAE universities and colleges

DFM has launched several educational trading floors at institutions in Dubai and Sharjah, so far, where students can learn about trading stocks and shares, how the stock market works, and participate in the DFM stock market game.

DFM stock market game

The DFM stock market game is an annual competition for university and college level students, played online with pretend money and pretend stocks, but the actual stock prices are connected to real time data from DFM market data.

Last update Tuesday 22-Apr-2014
Related pages
Related websites (new window)
Sponsored links (PDF and print version).

Abu Dhabi AUH ABD ADB, Ajman AJM, Al Ain AAN, Dubai DXB, Fujairah FUJ, Ras Al Khaimah RAK, Sharjah SHJ, Umm Al Quwain UAQ

DubaiFAQs UAE information guide. Copyright © 2004-2024, Dubai, UAE - United Arab Emirates | blog | Facebook | Twitter |