The Varkey Group is a private Dubai based business organisation with interests in construction, education and healthcare.
- Chairman of the Varkey Group is Sunny Varkey
- The Varkey Group began in 1980 when Mr Sunny Varkey took over the management of Our Own English High School in Dubai from his parents.
- Varkey Group Healthcare began in 1988.
Varkey Group Construction
- Chicago Maintenance and Construction Company - facilities management
- Sammon VG - construction division of the Chicago Maintenance Company
Varkey Group Education > Global Education Management System
- The education unit is referred to as GEMS Global Education Management Systems or System (see for list of GEMS schools), so schools run by the Varkey Group are managed by the GEMS division ie GEMS schools and Varkey Group schools are the same thing.
- List of Varkey schools, further information and updates moved to the GEMS Schools page.
- The Economic Times of India reported in September 2004 that Mr Varkey was planning to open more than 5000 Varkey Group schools over the next 20-25 years.
Varkey Group Healthcare > Welcare World > EHL Management Services > Mediclinic Middle East
Update September 2013: EHL Management Services company became Mediclinic Middle East in October 2012 as a result of Mediclinic International buying all shares in EHL from Varkey Group and the General Electric company. Mediclinic Middle East owns and operates medical centers and health facilities in Dubai including:
- Mediclinic Al Qusais (Al Ghusais)
- Mediclinic Al Sufouh (Al Sufooh)
- Mediclinic Arabian Ranches
- Mediclinic Beach Road (Jumeirah Beach Road) - was previously the Emirates Diagnostic Clinic.
- Mediclinic City Hospital
- Mediclinic Dubai Mall
- Mediclinic Ibn Battuta
- Mediclinic Meadows
- Mediclinic Mirdif (Mirdiff)
- Mediclinic Welcare Hospital
Information below is out of date as a result of the ownership and name change of EHL Group. Left here for archive.
EHL Management Services (Emirates Healthcare Limited) is a joint venture between General Electric, Medi-Clinic of South Africa, and the Varkey Group. Established in 1984 as Welcare World and/or Welcare World Health Systems. EHL contact details are PO Box 123812, Dubai Health Care City, Dubai, tel +971-4-3635200, fax +971-4-3634973. EHL facilities include
- Emirates Diagnostic Clinic, tel +971-4-3315155
- The City Hospital in Dubai Healthcare City, tel +971-4-4359999
- Welcare Ambulatory Care Center in Dubai Knowledge Village, established 2005, tel +971-4-3661030
- Welcare Clinic Al Qusais, Dubai, tel +971-4-2586466, established July 2007
- Welcare Clinic Mirdiff, Dubai, tel +971-4-2881302
- Welcare Diagnostic and Treatment Centre in Muscat, Oman, tel +968-24477666
- Welcare Hospital in Al Garhoud, Dubai, established 1998, tel +971-4-2827788
Contact details for the Varkey Group
- PO Box 8607, Dubai, UAE (also PO Box for GEMS Education and Wellington International School in some sources). PO Box 3004 Dubai also seen, which is the same as the PO Box for OOEHS Dubai and Pakistan National School Dubai.
- Tel +971-4-3477770, fax +971-4-3403377, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website (offline) www.varkeygroup.com.
- Tel +971-4-3985220 also seen, might be out of date information
Last update Monday 16-Sep-2013
- GEMS Schools - schools run by the education division of the Varkey Group
Related websites (new window)
- www.ehl.ae - EHL Management Services website, forwards to www.mediclinic.ae after name change and ownership change in Oct 2012.
- www.varkeygroup.com - no content when checked (April 2009)
- www.welcareworld.com -
Welcare World Health Systems website, no longer active (forwards to EHL website - checked April 2009)